I'm travelling into a new way of working, a new country, a new language, and a new hobby which I'm passionate about. Come with me for some of the journey...

Wednesday 10 April 2013

Simplify, simplify




Hello all, hope you're all having a lovely week.  We're taking a break from dollshouse renovation to go and see Jurassic Park in Czech (!!) tomorrow afternoon.

I love the film, and can pretty much recite it word for word, so it should be good for my language learning (they dub rather than subtitle things here)!

Since many of you are asking - thank you for your interest - I will share some dollshouse transformation photos very soon, I promise...

In the meantime, I wanted to share this tag with you, a little breath of spring using one of my favourite Artistic Outpost stamp sets, Old Grist Mill.

I find this set so beautiful and calming.  It's full of nostalgia and the fresh air of the great outdoors - I'm sure I breathe more deeply when I create with it!

It's a jumbo sized tag - the lovely Linda Coughlin included a couple of freebies in my last order from The Funkie Junkie Boutique, so I had to press them straight into service!








I used Distress Paints for the background, mottling them by dabbing with kitchen towel before they dried, and then added some stamping with the leaf image from the set.

It's done in Sap Green Archival so it's very subtle - but I like that.







I stamped the mill itself in Olive Archival, and added a couple of darker leafy bits around the edges, as well as one full olive leaf to the lower part of the tag.

I wanted to use the delicious Floral Frames embossing folder, but of course it doesn't reach the full length of a jumbo tag... I could have cheated and done another pass with the folder a different way up, but I decided I'd rather break it up a little...













I cut the tag to the length of the embossing folder, and embossed the upper half - perfect.


That left me with a two-part tag, so I sent the lower segment through the BigShot with the folder too - and did some inking to highlight all the embossing.  Yup, happy with that.


But hey, three is better than two, right?  So I added a third segment cut from some of the delicious white corrugated card also available at The Funkie Junkie Boutique.

That was obviously where the sentiment needed to go: Simplify. Simplify.  What could be simpler than that?










A spring tag needs some flowers.  I've added some white ones with a touch of Tattered Rose, as well as some already rosy ones.













The larger white ones were part of a lovely blog candy I won ages ago (wow, in January, I think it must have been) from lovely Danielle Renee - they're by Recollections.











I used some of the gloriously delicate twine which wrapped up my little parcels when I was lucky enough to win another candy, some delicious goodies from the wonderful Kasia of Papierowy Wymiar.  Love this stuff... going to have to source some, ready for when it runs out!!

Both Danielle and Kasia do lovely work, and their blogs are well worth a visit.









Having added the roses, I decided to create some rosy ribbon to top off the tag, and tied it
together with another bit of the delicate twine.















The final touch was some Rock Candy crackle paint added roughly around the edges of the tag, for some extra texture - I never tire of the magic of watching this stuff transform from a gloopy syrup to glistening crackle!













The sun has finally come out in the last couple of days here in the Czech Republic (not when I needed to take the photos - bah!), and I have my fingers firmly crossed that it will continue - though I have to say, I didn't really pack for warmer weather, clothes-wise... I was concentrating on the crafty-stash packing!



Hope the sun is coming out for you wherever you are.  Thank you so much for taking the time to stop by - I love having your company on the journey.

To find the universal elements enough; to find the air and the water exhilarating; to be refreshed by a morning walk or an evening saunter... to be thrilled by the stars at night; to be elated over a bird's nest or a wildflower in spring - these are some of the rewards of the simple life.
John Burroughs

The greatest wealth is to live content with little.
Plato

Be content with what you have, rejoice in the way things are.  When you realize there is nothing lacking, the whole world belongs to you.
Lao Tzu

I'd like to enter this in the following:
At Live and Love Crafts the April Challenge is a Bingo card (love these), and I'm playing straight down the middle: Cheesecloth, Vintage, Flowers
At A Heck of a Challenge they would like us to Just Add Water - hope my water mill qualifies... there is a millpond in front of it!
At Simon Says Stamp the challenge is April Showers or Spring Flowers
At Divas By Design they are also looking for Flowers
With the corrugated card and the jumbo tag from The Funkie Junkie Boutique, I'd like to enter this in the Sunday Share over at Frilly and Funkie


57 comments:

Astrid Maclean said...

Ha, ha, with the time difference I appear the first one to comment:o)
I absolutely adore this tag Alison, I think it must be one of my all time favourites of yours..... so much to like: The texture (of course) the three tier thing, (what a great idea, with the corrugated card in the middle, and I adore the way you have used that string to attach the pieces together)the colours, (those green hues are just stunning together with the pale pink, so Spring like)well and the stamping and crackle of course. A wonderful make altogether!!!
Have fun at Jurrasics and hope the sun will keep shining. Here it is raining after many glorious autumnal sunshine days...

Sarah said...

This is gorgeous...so subtle in color and serene in feeling. As always, your ribbons and flowers are just perfect.

mytawnyinspirations said...

Alison, this tag is simply delightful. The greens, pinks and white are fabulous together.... quite a romantic feel. Love all of the texture elements. Again, thank you for all of the 'how it's done' details. Love it! Have a fab. week. Cheers, Di

Helen said...

Alison, if my journal page was your favourite you've seen,this has to be one of my favourites of yours - this is beautiful - calm, serene and just stunning! The stamps you've used are gorgeous, but I love the flowers.

pearshapedcrafting said...

I love this style - very old England, the crackle is just perfect to go with it! Chrisx

Dana Tatar said...

Stunning tag! I really love how the embossing turned out. I quite like just bits and pieces along the edges having an impression. Thanks for the inspiration! =)

Yvonne Garner said...

Be still my heart! Just breathtaking Alison. Love how you pieced the tag together. One of the AO plates I keep thinking I need to order! Hugs, Yvonne

Terry said...

Alison, I just love those green colors! This is so pretty with the crackle and flowers and of course I love the image! Beautifully put together! I can't tie a bow!!! Hugs!

Krisha said...

Hi Alison,
This is just a stunning tag, love the three sections, all the textures and the wonderful spring colors. I am a Jurassic Park groupie too! LOL

barbarayaya62 said...

Alison simply fabulous! Love the three section and colors , love the stamp and borders embossed! Very beautiful work! Barbarayaya

maria's knutselplezier said...

Waw what a wonderfull tag, love the colors as wel, and waht a beautiful details , super!!!

Greetings
>Maria

May said...

Wonderful tag Alison, The colours are Beautiful, Love the image & the embossing which has created a lovely texture, Great idea to make it in three parts, the corrugated card is perfect! Love it all... Hugs May x x

Anke said...

Adorable, so lovely. Wonderful tag Alison.

Hugs
Anke

Inkypinkycraft said...

This is beautiful, gorgeous softness and I agree calmness about those, the colour is just right! A stunning make, love it..hugs trace x

Brenda Brown said...

Beautifully spring like indeed Alison, lovely green tones, some sweet flowers and texture and of course that fabulous image.
Looking forward to seeing the pics of the dolls houses.
hugs {brenda} xox

chrissie said...

Do delicate and adorable with more ideas to inspire.-Thank you

Can't wait to see some of the doll's house photos.

Love Chrissie xx

Dawn Ruth said...

Simplify well here goes.........FABULOUS

Francesca said...

Beautiful tag. with the Jumbo sized tag you do get a bit more room to play. Hugs francesca

Asia King (aka Joanna K) said...

Wow, gorgeous tag Alison. Beautiful soft shades, perfect for a spring project. I love the textured eges, really lovely! Xx

Michelle Webb said...

Boy I love these colours, very sophisticated and shabby too. Love it Alison, really love all the different things you have going on, from the distress, to the embossing and the mottled stamping too. I love reading your posts. Michelle x

Claudia N. said...

Very tender and beautiful, Alison!

Love the colour scheme. It works just excellent! And the textures you created are awesome as usual!

Hugs,
Claudia x

Sue said...

This is truly beautiful Alison, from the soft gentle colours to the embossing to the wonderful little touches like the crackling and the cheese cloth. Just perfect xx

Laurart said...

Gorgeous! Pale green, flowers, delicate stamp, crackle - all my favourite ingredients for a wonderful creation! Lots of love from Laura xxxxx

Alex said...

Your card look gorgeous!!!
Good luck to the challenge!

If you wish, come on my blog ... If you want, you can become a Member? Please! ... I'd be honored

Nan G said...

Lovely lovely tag! One of my fave's for sure, with the soft green colors and the textures. Oh the textures...got'ta love that rock candy! Your gentle touches of it, well done, butterfly, well done!

Sophie said...

Oh, Alison, mir fehlen die Worte...
So ein schönes romantisches Tag.
Die verwitterte alte Mühle mit den herrlichen Blüten.
Es sieht wunderschön aus und es riecht förmlich nach Frühling :-)

Liebe Grüße xx

crealinedance said...

Hallo Mooie tag met deze zachte kleuren.Gr.Nel

Netty said...

I love your old mill tag and such a great choice of colourings Alison. Beautifully made and designed. Hugs Annette x

House of Bears said...

We love the subtlety of this tag, and the stamp is indeed calming, as is your creation. We really love this, and would definitely have it displayed somewhere it could easily be seen, it's far too lovely to put away anywhere,

craftytrog said...

So beautiful and indeed calming Alison, with those lovely shades of green.
Hope you enjoy your trip to the cinema.
Alison xx

Alie Hoogenboezem-de Vries said...

Owww Alison is this your tag...I already pinned it on Pinterest...I saw it and thought Wowwww....
Great details!

kind regards, Alie :-)

Annie said...

Beautiful three part tag Alison. Love the DI colours and embossing.

The flowers are gorgeous in lovely soft colours. Definitely a favourite of all your fabulous makes x

Crafty hugs

Annie x

Amanda said...

Spring has definitely arrived for you looking at your lovely tag, beautiful
Love
Amanda x

Dorthe said...

Dear Alison, this 3 part tag is one so very beautiful, both colours ,the lovely old mill stamp, and the way you alwayes makes your backgrounds amaxingly exiting to study! Love the embossing and the crackle with the lovely flowers,together!
Enjoy your moovie, XO,Dorthe

Jenny Marples said...

Oh be still my beating heart! Love the pale greens and layered stamping, adore the flowers and twine, and applaud your idea to split the tag into sections for effective embossing. A massive round of applause (and here's hoping Jurassic Park was as entertaining as ever). Hugs, Jenny x

Silvia(Barnie) said...

That's a gorgeous tag, great soft colors. Love every detail.

catherine said...

This is beautiful Alison and such a lovely soft colour. hope you enjoy the film
x catherine

Marjie Kemper said...

I love the three sections connected... so beautiful!

Almo said...

Oh Alison, this tag is just gorgeous, what a lovely shade of green, it made me smile as soon as I saw it. A clever idea making it a triple tag using the corrugated cardboard - love it! Hugs Mo x

Mrs.B said...

Such a beautiful tag Alison, and such a fresh Spring feel. A wonderful way of extending the tag, and the perfect sentiment!
Avril xx

toni said...

Gorgeous three part tag Alison, love the subtle spring greens and the fresh flowers x

Unknown said...

Hi Alison,
I'm intrigued by this, love your play with the different textures on this gorgeous tag. The Rock Candy looks absolutely fantastic, must play with that stuff more often! Gorgeous Spring colours (and I'm not even keen on green usually), and love the addition of the cardboard in the middle. Ohhhh...wish I could make something like this! Thanks for the inspiration and for taking part in LLC:s challenge again this month.

Hugz,
Sandy

P.S. Glad to hear your order has arrived safely; will respond to your previous e-mail when I have more time. Good Luck with the dollhouse renovations!

Lisa Minckler said...

Is it just me that finds humor and irony in the sentiment, simplify, simplify and yet the tag is elaborately constructed?? LOL. I know..it's the image and the inspiration of the sentiment that go together, but that when it comes to your work, nothing is ever really 'simple.' Alison, it's completely gorgeous and breath taking what you've done to this tag. The cool greens have me so relaxed and happy. Beautiful work here and I can't wait to see the dollhouse pictures. :)
hugs,
Lisa x

Hettie said...

Beautiful tag there Alison. Love that set and your colours are wonderful. Making me wish I was outside right now, but not with the rain we are currently having.
Hugs
xx

Keren Tamir said...

Fabulous project Alison!! As always so incredible!!!!

Dianne said...

Oh Alison I've missed some gorgeous things, had a min, to visit.. The room you creative is amazing, looks like a real room :):). I love the tag my fav color, the image of the old mill is wonderful, we have an old mill near us which they have turned into a craft place full of home made goodies, one of my favorite places to visit, the stamp reminds me of that fabulous place, anyway love all the texture, I always love how you do your seam binding ribbon, I have to get some:):) Hope your haveing a great day, tell Cestina I said big hello, big hugs..

Heather said...

Hi Alison, sorry I have not been around - I'm on 'catch-up' now!!!
A beautiful tag, your stunning embossed frame and surrounded the image perfectly - such gorgeous details!!

hugs
Heather xx

Anonymous said...

Alison
I look at this and I take a deep and cleansing breath as it is so relaxing to view, the calming colours and stamp choice.
Adore the way you added the word and the flowers bring such charm to this piece.
Wishes
Lynne

craftimamma said...

I couldn't fail to love this tag Alison ..... you've used my favourite shades of green! As one or two before me have said it's so calming and it's always my favourite decor colour around home too ;D. Lots of gorgeous elements on your tag and as well as your stamp choice there's all that wonderful texture. Absolutely beautiful!

Hugs
Lesley Xx

Bonnie Irvine said...

This is such an elegant tag, delicate and yet it has the strength of nature and lovely old buildings. The colours are fabulous...very soothing and quietly fresh. Love the three part idea with the corrugated card in the middle. The crackle adds lovely texture and age.

Linda Coughlin, the funkie junkie said...

You have made the Old Grist Mill just as delightful in the springtime as it is in the fall. Your green hues are so pleasing to my eyes and I love the way you worked the embossing. And how clever to use a third hanging panel with the white corrugated cardboard in between. This piece is pure eye candy. Thanks so much for sharing with us over at Sunday Share at Frilly and Funkie. Always such a pleasure to have you with us!

Hugs,
Linda

Unknown said...

a beautiful take on the challenge this month, Thanks for joining us at a Heck of a challenge.
Chris x

Nicecrane Designs said...

Wowwww Alison,,,love the way you stamped that amazing house,,,,,,,you inspired me,,,,,and these soft colors are perfect my friend,,,

Unknown said...

Wow, what a wonderful tag! The composition is great and I love the colour work. A stunning example of a tag as a work of art. Chris xxx

Jingle said...

This is such a beautiful tag! So calm and serene! Thanks so much for playing along with us over at the Simon Says Stamp Challenge Blog!

Jayne A said...

Gorgeous card. Thanks for joining us at Diva's
Hugs
Jayne

Kezzy said...

Wow gorgeous tag, I so love the soft greens with the pastel flowers, stunning. Happy Crafting :-) Kezzy xxx