I'm travelling into a new way of working, a new country, a new language, and a new hobby which I'm passionate about. Come with me for some of the journey...

Friday 7 February 2020

Curio Clock





Double trouble today - it's a while since there have been two posts in a day here at Words and Pictures!!

I'm honoured and delighted to be here with a Guest Designer project for the Creative Artiste Challenge Blog.  I was invited to guest design after my fungi ATB, There's not mushroom inside... was selected as one of their top picks last October.

Overnight I shared some Golden Hours with you for the new Vintage Journey challenge, Against the Grain and now, as promised, I've got a second project for you using a quote from one of my brand new sets, the Time Edition.

(If you missed them earlier this week, do check out all three new stamp sets along with the samples I created for them in the launch post here at PaperArtsy.)











Creative Artiste is a fabulous challenge blog, where it's Anything Mixed Media Goes every month.  To fit that mixed media brief, I've been playing with all sorts of mediums as well as a an upcycled old watch of mine to create this little Curio Box.






Once again, I've not exactly made my life easy on the photography front.


Curio Boxes cast all sorts of their own internal shadows, which makes things tricky...








... and with textural and floral details tucked into every little corner, it's pretty hard to let you see all the angles.

















The focal point is an old pendant watch of mine (no way to replace the battery once it's died, sadly).  In fact, you saw the back of the watch in action earlier today in The Golden Hours... well, it would have been a waste to glue it down so that it was invisible!













And as I mentioned, it's paired with these wise words from Benjamin Franklin, from my brand new Time Edition quote collection.











The box itself is cut using Tim Holtz's new Curio Box Bigz XL die, though I did add some extra waste cardboard to the foot of the box for additional sturdiness, knowing the contents might end up being fairly weighty.













Here's the watch before any altering was done to it.  I still have the chain to use another way another day.  I was planning to surround it with cogs and gears for quite a steampunk/vintage industrial look - but that's not what happened in the end.














I added various crackle mediums over the top of the design papers...














... and layered on antiquing medium and washes of acrylic paint to highlight the crackles and deepen the colour tones.















Over the top of that I added some shimmer using Treasure Gold waxes.  Somehow, despite the metallic finish, I think this still somehow resembles gnarled tree bark in places...














... and I think that's probably what triggered my imagination to turn in the direction of plants and flowers.  Not that I need much encouragement to head nature-wards!














So I added some mossy colour to the gnarly tree trunk texture in places on the outside - I really like this effect!










And then I started gathering together some moss and some of my favourite dried flowers and arranging to grow out of the "ground" below the clock.













The watch itself also got a touch of the waxes to lighten the old gold into more of a White Fire silver-gold, but once I started with the mossy look, I added some green-toned PaperArtsy Fresco paints in places, to give it a really weather-worn look.












I hope you can also catch a glimpse in the background of some of my favourite tangled tendrils, courtesy of the Rubber Dance Weed Love stamps.

Because I only decided on the plant-based theme after gluing the box together, I had to do some pretty deedy stamping to get these trailing everywhere I wanted them.  And in the end,  you only really see them properly when you take the lid off!











I felt I needed another floral motif to bring it all to life, so I selected a Scrapiniec chipboard flower stem from my hoarded collection.














I used Frescos to paint it, trying to keep the paint nice and dimensional for an enamelled look.

















After it had dried, I decided I wanted a bit more of a vintage look, so on went the crackle glaze.
















I'm really happy with the finished look of the flowers, subtly textured with a look of old glass or cracked enamel.
















And I think they are the perfect adornment for the outer frame.

That's about it, I think, apart from lots of spatter of course.














Oh, and I'm delighted to say that you can still press the button on top of the pendant and open the front of the watch.
















It's set to my usual time... and yes, there is honey still for tea.












I love all the texture on the lid or frame or whatever you want to call it, and the matte mossy paints contrasting with the gleam of the Treasure Gold.











I hope you like this little Curio Clock.  I'm really happy to have found a way to display a watch I loved a lot when it was working.

And with all those wildflower buds and stems, I like the idea of time being swallowed up by nature.

Thanks to the Creative Artiste Challenge Blog for the opportunity to guest with them.  I hope you'll have lots of fun playing with mixed media this month too.  Happy crafting all!

Stands the Church clock at ten to three?
And is there honey still for tea?
From The Old Vicarage, Grantchester by Rupert Brooke

Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
Proverb

I'd like to share this in the Floral Frenzy over at the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge







Don't forget to check out how I used the back of the watch in The Golden Hours if you missed it earlier today.

Scheduling meant it only got about five minutes to itself, so I'm giving it another shout out here!  

31 comments:

Let's Art Journal said...

Wow, yet another stunning timepiece make - so beautiful! I'm loving the shadow box design showcasing the pretty watch and the enamel flowers with the crackle glaze look amazing - perfect 😁. Thanks so much for joining us as Guest Designer over at Creative Artiste this month,it's so lovely to see you there! Wishing you a wonderful weekend! Hugs, Jo x

Lagene said...

Love your shadow box with the beautifully aged watch and the crackle on the flowers & stems is perfect!

R's Rue said...

Beautiful

Andree said...

What a wonderful way to showcase your beautiful watch Alison. It looks amazing nestled in the fabulous wood effect box surrounded by the lovely natural elements. Your gorgeous metallic and enamel textures look fantastic.
Thank you for being a Guest Designer for Creative Artiste this month xx

Meggymay said...

Oh my, another absolutely fabulous project, the way you added the moss and dried flowers makes the clock really stand out. My stamp wish list is getting longer.
Yvonne xx

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Once again, you have put the designer in guest designer. Your latest creation is incredible. The watch is beautiful, but I can't understand why anyone would make an incredibly beautiful watch like that and not have a way to replace the battery. You certainly put it to exceptional use, though. It paired nicely with the nature inspired florals and the enamel flowers. This is truly jaw dropping gorgeous.

aussie aNNie said...

Alison this is just gorgeous, I'd love a time at your place to learn what you know...stunning and just beautiful.xx

Aimeslee Winans said...

Oh my gosh, what a wonderful shrine for that amazing watch, working or not! And I love that it can be opened in utero as it were, lolol. Just another of your amazing creations! And excellent tute as well, thank you! xoxo

Cestina said...

I simply love this - I think it is just stunning. It has shot straight to the top of my favourite pieces.

I am planning a window on "Time" for when I get back to Small Worlds in the summer. It will feature clocks of many kinds and this would be a perfect addition to the display. May I borrow it please? (And anything else suitable ;-))
xxx

Lys said...

Another treasure box time-related, gorgeous! I love the delicate texture you added to the flowers, and this watch is just wonderful.

Fliss said...

Wow! This is absolutely stunning Alison. Amazing use of the rest of your watch and how lovely to turn it into a treasure to keep.
Fliss xx

Sandy said...

You are in a tick tock frame of mind and here is another outstanding make to prove my point. Love this Alison! And the flowers with the greenery definitely looked like enamel. Talent runs in you and your Mother's veins!
Sandy xx

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

This is so lovely and it's putting me in the mood to get out one of my unused shrines and do something. The little pocket watch is a beauty and perfect for this project. I'm off now to see what you did with the other part. Happy creative weekend, Angela xXx

Craftyfield said...

Love the enamelled look of the die-cut, and the crackle, of course... you got to have a bit of crackle for that Vintage look! x

Redanne said...

The pocket watch is so, so beautiful Alison and you have showcased it wonderfully well in the curio box. It will make a lovely keepsake. The adorning flowers really do look like enamel and I love the greenery inside. A beautiful creation. Anne xx

Margaret Mifsud said...

Wow!! What a stunning little curio box Alison! Cannot tell you just how much I love the finish on the outside .. it is so amazing!! Loving the colour and the fabulous textures achieved .. WOW!! The inside is just as fabulous. That clock is so gorgeous (such a shame it doesn't work anymore), and I adore the greenery you have surrounded it with, especially the flowers attached on the frame. Just the most amazing creation! xx

Ina G said...

There is always so much detail in your projects Alison and here is another beautiful piece. Such imagination. Wouldn't we all love to spend time in your play room learning and creating with you. I'm so excited that you are our Guest this month at Creative Artiste showing us all your talent. Ina

Neet said...

Hey Alison, I have that watch fob too. Bought ages ago for, you guessed it, a steampunk creation. Never got done but now you have excited me with this shadow box and I can see me rummaging for it when I can.
Love how you used it. I like the sides of the box, great texture and colour and the leaves, the moss and the flowers are all playing their own part in this fabulous stage production.
In fact the 21st picture down, without the centre filled in, just the frame and the flowers looks fabulous as is.
Another fab project from you and such beautiful photographs showing the various stages.
Thank you Alison
Hugs, Neet xx

Dortesjs said...

love this alot, and to use watches is great..love watches

craftytrog said...

Beautiful! I love the crackle Alison! xx

Rita said...

Absolutely fabulous Alison. Love all the step by step information. Hope you're well and staying safe in this inclement weather. Hugs Rita xxxx

Mac Mable said...

Amazing curio box with lots to look at and admire. I am so glad you have found a way to preserve and display the special watch x.

Sue said...

This is so beautiful Alison, your watch looks amazing together with the foliage inside your box. Have a very happy week, Sue xx

Dorthe said...

Another very beautiful and fabulous creation- the gorgeous texture on the box front, the beauty of real mosses and flowers, and the amazing painted and cracked flowerstem , Alison you are such a wonderful artist .
Hugs Dorthe xoxo

Mrs.B said...

This is amazing Alison, and a fabulous way to display a treasured item. Love the finish to the box, I really thought the flower stems were enamelled.
Avril xx

Anke said...

WOW WOW WOW this is so beautiful, Alison. Your clockbox looks amazing.

Hugs
Anke

Amanda said...

Oh Wow and another wow, this is stunningly beautiful
Love
Amanda x

My name is Erika. said...

I missed this post I guess, but glad I found it as it is a really beautiful piece. I love the simplicity of it. Hugs-Erika

Patty O'Malley said...

This curio box is fantastic, Alison! The watch is beautiful, too.

pearshapedcrafting said...

So much to delight in this post! The greenery, the words, the crackle, those beautiful little flowers,the teeny little spatters - a truly beautiful project dear Alison! Hugs, Chrisx

simo said...

Wow Alison...this is a masterpiece!! I totally love all those elements and details...simply stunning!
Well done my friend and Congrats for the Spotlight! ❤
Hugs... Simo.