I'm travelling into a new way of working, a new country, a new language, and a new hobby which I'm passionate about. Come with me for some of the journey...

Friday 11 October 2019

October Acorns




Okay, so I promised you another autumn tag, and when I was sharing my coasters of happiness yesterday, I said that this one makes me very happy.

I hope it will do the same for you!

Sometimes I just want to play with lovely objects, so this is a fairly straightforward piece of autumnal assemblage...

... some dimensional collaging with acorns, skeleton leaves, scraggly moss and a touch of starlit shimmer.

No need to tell you very much about it, apart from maybe the inky background, so just sit back and enjoy the pictures!

(Talking of things which make you happy, there's a fantastic new interior to see over at Cestina's Dollshouses if you're a fan of miniatures.)









You may recognise the background from this photo I also shared alongside my Tree Poetry tag.















What you can't really see properly without an angled close-up are some of the golden shimmers provided by some Lindy's Stamp Gang Magicals powders.














As soon as I saw that autumnal glow, I wanted to provide some contrast. 














So that's where the strands of stringy moss come in.
















I love how they pop against the inky background.














They also allow the acorns to come into focus.  They wouldn't show up nearly as well if they were directly against the background tones.













These are faux acorn tops but they appear to be in real acorn cups.  I've got them in a sort of yellowy green colour too, but I thought I'd keep it simple here.

Brown and orange... that awful 1970s combo - I would usually run a mile from it, wouldn't you?














But in autumn they work beautifully together... Mother Nature really knows what she's doing.













Some metal skeleton leaves are also tucked into the foliage.

I thought of altering them in some way, but in the end decided they really didn't need it in this case.















In any case, at least they have caught the final drops of paint spatter in a way I rather like.












The quote is from my PaperArtsy stamp set EAB04 The Autumn Edition, and it's by L.M. Montgomery.

I expect it's Anne (of Green Gables) being cheerful about things.  I can't blame her on this occasion.













It's stamped in Coffee Archival and mounted on a some waste MDF pieces so that it nestles cosily amongst the nature gatherings without being overwhelmed by them.














A few Scrapiniec confetti stars are dotted around.













They've had a light wash of PaperArtsy Cloud 9 (warm white) paint so that, like the mossy stems, they stand out a little more from the background.

Also in this photo you can see the lovely misty spritz of Pumice Stone Distress Oxide Spray... that'll be the "season of mists and mellow fruitfulness" then.














And if you catch the tag at the right angle, you still get to see that gorgeous golden glimmer...















There's nothing quite like autumn gold, is there?!














Some simple twine finishes things off, and I mounted the whole tag on some pale card to frame it.











It's also mounted on some sturdy cardboard cut from a box which gives it a lovely solidity.  I adore the dimensionality of this as well as how easily it came together.  


Once I had the background, everything else just fell into place.  Definitely a happy tag for me.  I hope it is for you too.  Have a lovely weekend, whatever you're up to, and I'll see you again soon.

Think of the fierce energy concentrated in an acorn! You bury it in the ground, and it explodes into an oak!
George Bernard Shaw




I'd like to play along at Tag Tuesday where the theme is Autumn
At the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge it's also a Fall/Autumn theme this week
At MOO Mania & More they are inviting us to Count Your Blessings - as the words say, I'm grateful for Octobers
At the More Mixed Media Challenge they are playing Anything Goes with an Optional Twist of Orange
At Let's Craft and Create it's another seasonal one with Anything Goes + Optional Colours of Fall
At the Creative Artiste Challenge Blog it's the usual Anything Mixed Media Goes
And at the Bleeding Art Challenge it's also Anything Mixed Media Goes
They are playing Halloween/Fall + a sentiment at Aud Sentiments



52 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

What a gorgeous tag, and in my fave autumn colours and with your particular style - fantastic. Thanks so much for joining us again at Tag Tuesday, much appreciated. Have a wonderful weekend, hugs, Valerie

Helen said...

What a fabulous tag- it certainly makes me happy! the acorns look perfect, faux or not!

Craftyfield said...

I wouldn't decorate my house or wear these colours, but they are beautiful in nature! A great tag, Alison, I love the 3D elements. Happy creative weekend!

Furrbster said...

This is amazing! What a fabulous idea!

Thanks for playing along with us at Aud Sentiments,

Hugz Tinz

Annie said...

Your tag is fabulous Alison x full of the colours of Autumn, which I love. The background of your tag is stunning, especially the gold shimmer x The twine, leaves and acorn layout is Dovie and the quote is perfect x
TFS and huge hugs
Annie xx

Amanda said...

Autumnal delight on a tag, super make
Love
Amanda x

Redanne said...

I wasn't really thinking of the 70's when I saw your colour combo, I was thinking that you used glorious autumnal colours and lots of wonderful contrast over the shimmering background tag. This is really beautiful Alison. Anne xx

My name is Erika. said...

this is a fabulous tag Alison. It makes me happy too. Hugs-Erika

Powdered Toast Man said...

nature comes to life again.

Chrissy said...

GORgeous Autumn tags Alison and I love the acorns and skeletal leaves, the paint splatters and awesome colours..I'm happy.

Luv CHRISSYxx

Cestina said...

Oh yes it makes me very happy indeed. As does looking across the valley at the moment at the same colours.

Strangely your GBS quote made me think of Greta Thunberg. Perhaps it will be thanks to her if we are allowed to enjoy many more Octobers....

ann barnes said...

This is a true depiction of Autumn, you’ve captured the essence of the season beautifully. The words that you’ve chosen are wonderful.

froebelsternchen said...

I am absolutely in love with this gorgeous tag Alison.Unique! Thank you for joining Moo Mania & More ! So much appreciated!
Happy weekend!
Susi xxx

Hazel Agnew said...

This makes my heart sing for the joys of October Alison. It’s just perfect in every way. You have managed to weave some magic into this tag! Xx

hazel said...

What a wonderful autumnal tag, I love it.
xxx Hazel.

Sue said...

What a stunning tag Alison, I'm always glad when Summer comes around, but Autumn is such a beautiful time of year. This has made me very happy too. Have a wonderfuly weekend, Sue xx

Mac Mable said...

Happy and glorious tag full of dimension and wonderful Autumn colours. Love the shimmer from the Lindy's and the contrast of the moss. The Autumn glow is beautiful and so is your tag...A stunner x.

Let's Art Journal said...

Wow, what a stunning tag! You have captured autumn beautifully, I love the rusty effect and splashes in the background and the acorns and leaves look amazing 😁. As always you choice of words is perfect too! Thanks so much for joining the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge! I hope you are having a lovely weekend! Hugs, Jo x

pinky said...

Oh wow, it's absolutely stunning. So much to catch the eye and all so beautifully put together!!

WendyK said...

Another fabulous textured tag with gorgeous Autumn colours. Love it. Thank you for sharing with us on Tag Tuesday. xx

Margaret Mifsud said...

Oh my goodness! This is simply awesome! What glorious colour and I adore the acorns .. so cute!! Love, love, love the shimmers of gold through the background and the stringy bits of moss are the perfect contrast and make those little acorns pop!! Totally divine!! hugs xx

Jeanne Kelly said...

My favorite season is autumn, the smells, the colors, the sharply crisp air! Your tag brings the beauty of the season to the forefront.
Blessings to you in this most wonderful time!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I apologize for being so far behind in my visit. I'm in catch-up mode, although I may never catch up. Your tag made me happy and it made me realize how lucky I am. You are happy to live in a world with Octobers and I am happy to live in a world of honest people.

Yesterday I said I needed "happy" because of the state of the world. But I've changed my mind. I was at the store yesterday and left my camera (my irreplaceable Nikon) in my shopping cart. I didn't even realize it till I got home and by that time I had been to two more places. I was in a panic. I returned to the store where I thought I left it and asked if anyone had turned in a Nikon. Can you believe it? There ARE good people in the world and now I have a much happier outlook than I had yesterday.

Your tag is a perfect example of beauty and happiness. I love how the acorns stand out and play so well against the metal leaves. Shear beauty and great art, too.

Marci said...

Wonderful tag!

Lys said...

What a fabulous background for this tag! And the sentiment is so true for me!Thanks for playing along with us at Creative Artiste Mixed Media challenge!

Mrs.B said...

A gorgeous Autumnal tag Alison, the tones and shimmers in the background really is the perfect backdrop for the moss stems and acorns.
Avril xx

Joan said...

A stunning tag, love the gorgeous inky background and I was sure those acorns were real. Re the brown and orange,my sister I Law still has her house in those 70s colours,she loves them, no accounting for taste 😄😄😄

Patty O'Malley said...

Oh my goodness, Alison! This tag definitely makes me happy! I absolutely love it! I could stare at it forever.

paperwishesbyamanda said...

October is my favorite month so this has to be my favorite quote stamp yet! Lovely Autum goodness it is like a party with natures sparkle and streamers, thanks for posting it. xo

craftytrog said...

Absolutely gorgeous! xx

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

This is truly glorious, so love the colours and images. Happy creative week, Angela xXx

Sandra Wright. said...

Love,love,love your Tag Alison..it screams Autumn.
Thank you so much for joining us at Tag Tuesday with your stunning Tag ..x

Michele said...

what an amazing and dimensional autumn tag! thanks for linking up at tag tuesday! xo

sarascloset said...

So perfectly autumnal! Loving the shimmery background and the addition of all your fall elements topped with the white splattering! Just beautiful, Alison!

Meihsia Liu said...

Wow... this is such a stunning tag, Alison. Love the fabulous background and all the beautiful autumn elements and details. :)

inkypinkyboo said...

Such a warm, beautiful tag! Love all the textures and layers! Thanks for joining us at Bleeding Art!

Ina G said...

Such attention to detail here Alison. The background to this amazing tag is truly 'Magical'. So many bits and bobs added and so much to look at in awe. Thanks for showing us every detail and how you created this piece. I so love your creativeness.

Roosterhead Designs said...

GORGEOUS! Def a happy tag for me to enjoy from here : ) Loving every layer of color, texture and form. So pretty and perfect for Autumn.
(yes, normally I would run too . . .but not when it comes to true nature - then it is soo inviting to my eye)
Truly love this tag Alison! Hugs to you, karen o

Sabina said...

Fantastic Autumn tag! I love the colours and design :)
Thank you for participating in our challenge at Let's Craft and Create this month.
Sabina DT

Dorthe said...

Only to fell in love with Alison, so very beautiful, using the real acorns, ( I have a little collection here too ) and they shine on top of your golden,- white splattered, background , so beautiful lifted because of the "hat" . A most wonderful tag , with your word stamp in center, speaking words I can only totally agree with you !!
Hugs- and thank you for your loving comment on my blog,- I did not know about the colors , but so fun to hear how things were different back then ! xoxo

Lorraine A said...

Oh my goodness Alison, this is a stunner!! LOVE LOVE LOVE!!! :-D

Congratulations you have won the $50 voucher on the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge.
Please email us.
simonsayschallenge@hotmail.com

luv
Lols x x x

Andree said...

A wonderful tag that perfectly represents Autumn. The (faux) natural elements and cleverly layered display look fabulous, and the white splashed acorns tie in beautifully with the richly speckled background.
Thank you for joining in with our October challenge "Anything Mixed Media Goes" at Creative Artiste Mixed Media. Good luck x

suzyb said...

LOVE this tag Alison. I too love a world where there are Octobers. Fall has been one of my fav seasons next to Spring. The colours are so amazing! Great project, love the techniques used.

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

What a stunning piece Alison, one I would have to frame. I was intrigued about the colour of the acorns until I read closer, Lovely little things.
Orange is so clever, even with it's marmite effect when the balance is right it's uplifting.. Lovely choice of words.. October is very close to my heart.
Hugs Tracey xx

Let's Art Journal said...

Many congratulations on you win over at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge with your stunning autumnal tag 😀. I hope you had a lovely week and wishing you a wonderful weekend! Hugs, Jo x

Evelyn Walter said...

This is sooooo fabulous! Love it to bits! A typical "Alison" work!
Evelyn xxx

Maryann scrapbooking said...

Bravo Allison, pour avoir gagné avec ce magnifique tag chez SSS.
Je suis en admiration, moi qui suis très fan des tags.
Bises.
MaryannG

Congratulations Allison, for winning with this beautiful tag at SSS.
I am in awe, I am very fond of tags.
Hugs.

sarascloset said...

Congratulations on your win at SSS! It couldn't go to a more deserving artist! Happy shopping!

https://shinebrightandcreate@blogspot.com/ said...

Beautiful lush tag, you have really captured the essence of Autumn. Thanks for joining our challenge this month on Lets Craft and Create this month and good luck. Michelle DT x

Neet said...

Lovely autumnal assemblage Alison, I love how you first of all made your background and then added all the pieces to make up such a pleasing combo. Three dimensional art at its very very best.
Hugs, Neet xx

pearshapedcrafting said...

Ah! Here it is! Love the background colour! I am definitely enjoying this October-we have been to lots of different gardens - Kew of course was wonderful but a visit to Styall today in the sunshine looked beautiful too! We should have gone shopping but were able to call in for a walk before we did! Hugs, Chrisx

Loose Stitches said...

Gorgeous creation Alison! Not sure if you saw that you are the winner of Let's Craft and Create challenge #153 Congratulations!
~ Sherry DT/Admin xx