I'm travelling into a new way of working, a new country, a new language, and a new hobby which I'm passionate about. Come with me for some of the journey...

Wednesday 15 May 2019

Brave and True

Hello all!  I'm absolutely delighted to be a guest over at the Bleeding Art challenge today, thanks to them liking my Need for Neutrals tag enough to make it their winner last month.  (I really wanted to call this post Bleeding Butterflies in their honour, but my better angel intervened!)  They are starting a new theme today and it's everybody's favourite: Anything Goes.  So here's what I created... a pair of butterfly panels.


I've been struggling a bit to get back into the mixed media swing of things at my craft desk since getting back from New York a month and a half ago, so for this I thought I would just grab some things that make me happy and put them all together!






In fact, the backgrounds of my panels come from a failed project which had landed in the rubbish bin.  I mentioned when I shared my Book It notebooks that it had taken me a couple of goes to get there.












One of the book failures was an attempt with the Wrapped Journal die.  I hated the exterior I ended up with, but I did like the inner covers.  So I fished it back out of the bin and cut out the two wide panels to use for this project.

I added some Design Tape and some stamping...











... but then decided I didn't much like the stamping so I covered most of it up with some sponged gesso and some embossing powder.














I was blowed if I was going to throw the panels away again!  And I do really like the resulting additional texture from the Weathered White powder.













I took a pre-cut greyboard clock face and cut it in half, and then played with some crackle.  It was DecoArt crackle paint, with some Antiquing Cream rubbed in to the resulting cracks...












... and later I rubbed on some Quin Gold Fluid Media Acrylic paint for a rusty look in places.














Some screwhead brads, altered with alcohol ink and watery white paint, add a nice metallic touch to the corners, and they make the panels look a bit more substantial too.














I got this lovely tangled "moss" in a sale ages ago...
















... so I thought it was about time it came out to play.















And the silk sari ribbon makes me very happy when I catch sight of it in my stash, so I thought I should start putting that onto a creation or two too. 












I think I've only used it once before now, or perhaps twice.

I love how it looks wrapped around the moss, keeping it in place (along with some glue).













There's some more metal in the form of the skeleton leaves.  I love that you can mould them for a more dimensional look.
















And again the alcohol inks and watery white paint bring a great distressed look to the metal.













Perched on top of it all are a pair of the Tim Holtz Tattered Butterfly diecuts (in the smaller size).















They're smooshed in similar colour Oxides and DIs as the original panel backgrounds.














But since the panels were done on gesso'd design paper and the butterflies are on a standard Manila tag, they do have a slightly different look...















... which hopefully makes them pop against all that busy-ness in the background.














I took a couple of the Idea-ology Quote Chips and gave them a coat of DecoArt One-Step Crackle Glaze.















I love the aged look it gives them - adding a slightly different mixed media twist to a generic product can sometimes make all the difference to a project.














I really enjoy the dimensional collaging of these.















There may not be much left to see of the original backgrounds I was moved to remove from the rubbish bin...














... but they're very pleasing to hold in your hands and twist and turn to catch sight of different angles.









And you can position them so that the clock face is broken apart so that you almost don't register it  (as in the first photo in the post), or you can position them the other way round so that it becomes whole again, and therefore much more present.


I hope you've enjoyed my bleeding butterflies for the Bleeding Art Challenge, and I hope you'll be inspired to play along in their Anything Goes challenge this month.

Happiness is a butterfly, which when pursued, is always just beyond your grasp, but which, if you will sit down quietly, may alight upon you.
Nathaniel Hawthorne



I'd like to join in with the Happy Hour at the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge... with the crackled clock measuring the time, this reminded me of how many happy hours it's possible to spend at the craft table, at a time when I really needed reminding!



I'd also like to play along at Frilly and Funkie, where we are allowed to follow our heart's desire in a theme called I love it because...  I love this because it's full of my favourite things, but mostly because it gave me a much-needed nudge back towards the mixed media playfulness I've been missing
And I'm joining in with the Anything Mixed Media Goes theme at the Creative Artiste Challenge Blog too
At the Mix It Up Challenge Blog they are also playing Anything Goes with a Mixed Media twist to use more than two different media - I've got inks, Oxides, paint, crackle, alcohol ink and embossing powder, so I'm in!

33 comments:

Dorthe said...

Dear Alison, two beautiful and gorgeous panels , I love the details with the embossing powder and gesso, the metal leaves, and soft blue. All together such wonderful projects !! Hugs, Dorthe xx

Valerie-Jael said...

Beautiful, beautiful piece, love the cool colours. Hugs, Valerie

Anne (cornucopia) said...

These are beautiful.

Redanne said...

Your bleeding butterfly panels are gorgeous Alison, I love the delicate cool blues, the moss and sari ribbon add some wonderful texture and the crackle glazed words are a lovely addition. Beautiful! Anne xx

Meggymay said...

A stunning project, both panels look beautiful and have so many lovely details. I really like you you placed them together in the last photo.
Yvonne xx

pearshapedcrafting said...

What an absolutely stunning pair of Butterflies (Bleeding Butterflies indeed...tut!!) I can imagine what a great time you had creating them! Hugs, Chrisx

Margaret Mifsud said...

Wow!! Your bleeding butterfly panels are stunning Alison! I so adore your signature colours and the moss and sari ribbon along with the crackle, adds such amazing textures. Absolutely amazing recycle of bits of panelling rescued from the bin!! hugs xx

Mrs.B said...

Stunning butterfly panels, with so many details and textures. Although in the same colour tones, those beautiful butterflies do pop and take centre stage. Great to see them positioned both ways round. Avril xx

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

These panels blew me away, Alison. I was so impressed with several things you did. First, I love how you colored the brads with gesso and paint. I also loved how the butterflies were just slightly different colors than the background. It's amazing how different materials take color so differently. I applaud you for buying that tangled moss and recognizing its usefulness, even if it took a back seat for a few years. This is MOST impressive and good for you for not giving up on the backgrounds, either.

Katie said...

These are gorgeous

Dortesjs said...

waue again you made wonders..awsome, Iam in love

Nan G said...

Pure Alison mixes media gorgeousness!

Patty O'Malley said...

I love these gorgeous panels, Alison! Beautiful!

Suzanne C said...

Gorgeous! Love the beautiful colors!

suzyb said...

Another stunning piece! I never get tired of that crackle paste. These are lovely panels and you have such a tremendous talent Alison. Love your work.

Sue said...

These are really lovely, so many beautiful elements, and I love the metalic skeleton leaves. Have a wonderful week, Sue xx

Amanda said...

Love how you have pulled all your favourite things together and created such beautiful pieces. Love these.
Love
Amanda X

My name is Erika. said...

Gorgeous Alison I like all the layers and those beautiful butterflies. Hugs-Erika

Let's Art Journal said...

Wow, what a beautiful project! You used some of my favourite colours and the layers and elements look stunning together 😀. I love how you used the crackle glass over the wording too - perfect! Wishing you a happy Friday and weekend! Jo x

Mac Mable said...

So glad you got the background out of the bin......Stunning creations full of colour, texture and wonderful elements x Love the clock, the rust, the crackle and as always your marvellous attention to detail x.

Brenda Brown said...

I can’t really imagine you throwing anything away Alison, everything you do always looks so beautiful when you have finished altering and layering elements. These panels are delightful, I love the tangled moss (I have a bag of it I haven’t touched as well), the crackled quote chip is gorgeous and collectively the panels are amazing side by side. So happy you saved the journal to make these two beauties xxx

Craftyfield said...

Fabulous project, Alison. It's all in the details, and there are so many! I love it all and the this look a lot Vintage, a bit shabby chic, distressed and delicate.
Incidentally, I have my own journal cover with a similar conundrum. I like one side and hate the other… Yet to do anything about it! xx

sarascloset said...

Alison, I love this pair of panels for many of the same reasons you do! I'm delighted your muse took you to mixed media and pulling your panel from the waste can. To me, it's always a good sign that I can see something I previously considered a total fail in a new light. The end result here is just beautiful, and I'm so excited you shared these beauties with us at Frilly and Funkie! Biggest congratulations on your Guest Designer spot at Bleeding Art! Hugs!

Lys said...

I love every detail of these two panels. Thanks for sharing your mind process. And thanks for playing along with us at Creative Artiste Mixed Media!

Annie said...

You are clearly getting back in to the swing of things Alison ans these two beauties testify x I adore the wonderful background and textured details.
Hope you had a wonderful birthday too x Belated wishes and hugs
Annie xx

Roosterhead Designs said...

Hi Alison, This pair truly is one of my favorites! Oooo I love 'em~
All your wonderful textures and soft flowing & 'spattered' color - just excites and inspires! Great metal leaves! Soo cool. I am a ribbon lover : ) so was happy to see that addition. Love love the moss, and the authentic vintage vibe. Always beautiful Alison. Thanks for sharing! Have a great week ahead~ Hugs to you, karen o

Neet said...

I have thoroughly enjoyed your bleeding butterflies Alison, and love the step by step photos and instructions you have provided for us. I am always blown away by your neutral work - it has that ethereal quality about it.
You have given me an idea for a special atc that I am going to make. No rules say it has not to be dimensional and, you will not believe this, I have one of those skeleton leaves on my desk at the moment. Now can I bear to part with it?
Thanks for so much inspiration. You are a gem!
Hugs, Neet xx

Diana Taylor said...

These little panels are so delightful and so very much your style. I love your delicate use of colour and the beautiful butterflies and leaves - my two favourite things! You certainly got back into the swing of things in a quite spectacular way with these two beauties.
Diana xx

A Pink said...

Fabulous pair of butterfly panels , Alison . Lovely use of colour, texture, layers and dimension make for two beauties .
Congratulations on your GD spot .
Hugs x

Jenny Marples said...

As ever it's a joy to see your creative process in flow as even when it takes it's twists and turns the results are truly beautiful. I love the delicate textures that help to entrap yet enhance the butterflies. Thank you Alison for sharing it with us at Frilly and Funkie xx

Cocofolies said...

Two super ATCs!! Full of texture, blue shades, and layers for more dimension and beauty. xx

Ann Chuang Crafts said...

Dear Alison, your bleeding butterfly panels are gorgeous. Love all the embellishes you have added. Thank you for taking the time to join in with our challenge and sharing your creativity with us, I love to see your talent, creativity and imagination at work. I hope to see more of your creativity in the near future.
HUGS!
Ann Mix It Up Challenge DT

Marci said...

Gorgeous!