I'm travelling into a new way of working, a new country, a new language, and a new hobby which I'm passionate about. Come with me for some of the journey...

Friday 25 January 2019

Rusty Alcohol






Hello all, and welcome.  I've got a little MDF tag for you today before heading back into the journal.

I've had a small tag (12 x 6cm, which is not quite 2.5 x not quite 4.5 inches) sitting around on the craft table for a while with a paint-crackled surface already on it.

Today I was inspired by the current Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge to try some alcohol inks over that crackle, and I love where I ended up.

I'm not sure I know any longer what crackle paint that is... maybe DecoArt Chalky Finish over something very dark underneath?

But what I do know is that I love how the alcohol inks flowed over the surface with the help of a little Blending Solution.













I started with some Mushroom ink, and then added Stonewashed and, after that, some Eggplant.













I gave each of them a chance to move alone first and then started encouraging them to join forces using the Blending Solution.














One of the really great things about using the alcohol inks is it means I can mess around with some watery washes of paint over the top without losing any of my inky effects.

The alcohol ink is not affected by the water or the paint, so it stayed happily in place while I added some rusty touches of Quinacridone Gold and Paynes Grey DecoArt Fluid Acrylic paints.












I was even able to spritz the paint with water and dab away to get exactly the rusty cracks I wanted, and all my lovely bluesy alcohol inks were completely untouched.
















You'll recognise the thistles if you saw my post Hoping for some light.  In fact, that pair of tags were also done on this same size MDF tag.













For these thistles I applied Sepia and Jet Black Archival inks to the stamp, using the black to create shadowed areas.

I had to quickly add some clear embossing powder after stamping, as they weren't showing up enough, but the e.p. gives them a bit more presence.













Some rusty wire had to be next, wound around the tag.













There are some words, of course - simple Small Talk stickers, given a touch of their own rustiness with some Sepia, before being edged with Jet Black and a touch of pen work to shade them into the background.













Oh, and in a slight afterthought I added a number brad, altered with some Ginger and Rust alcohol inks so that it would look as if it's been there as long as the wire (which it has, though neither of them has been there very long!).















Some more rusty wire tops us off, and we're done.













I do like working on the MDF tags, especially when using fairly heavy crackle and the rusted effects.












You get a far more substantial artefact at the end of it.  I feel this could be an old panel which has maybe been around for a few decades, and that makes me happy.

In a decaying society, art, if it is truthful, must also reflect decay. And unless it wants to break faith with its social function, art must show the world as changeable. And help to change it.
Ernst Fischer









I'd like to share this at the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge where this week's theme is Alcohol, Drinks or Inks

Anything Goes (as long as they can see the stamping) at the Fashionable Stamping Challenges, so I'd like to join in there too, after far too long an absence

I'd also like to play along at the Mixed Media Place where this beautiful January Moodboard with its dusky purples, hits of rusty brown and orange, and natural elements have all inspired me

Anything Goes for January at the Bleeding Art Challenge Blog too, as long as you've got at least two mediums involved - crackle paste, alcohol ink, fluid acrylics, and Archival inks should squeeze in okay!

51 comments:

Brenda Brown said...

This is just gorgeous Alison, the crackle is beautifully deep and creviced and I love the stamping and embossing but that alcohol ink intervention is wonderfully fluid and looks amazing with the rusty touches. Just wondering if you created a mega crackle layer, perhaps crackle paint over weathered wood?? Have a great weekend xxx

Margaret Mifsud said...

A stunning tag Alison. I love the amazing crackle and the colours are gorgeous. Beautifully done. Have a fabulous weekend. x

Valerie-Jael said...

Wonderful tag, love that crackle, so beautiful. Hugs, Valerie

Amanda said...

wonderful! loving that alcohol ink over the crackle creates such a good rusty effect I think I need to try this.
love
Amanda X

craftytrog said...

Ooh yes, I love a bit of rust!!! Gorgeous tag Alison! x

Lys said...

A gorgeous tag full of textures and depth. I love the quote too! facing the truth, even bad, is the best way to change towards better, and art gives the opportunity to face it in a beautiful and hopeful way. Like your tag does!

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

This is a wrapped treasure Alison, those alcohol inks really are handy little pocket sized pots of colour and can be used for much more than people think. Adore your colour choice and the rusty wire wrap, my favourite number too :))
Beautiful piece.
Wishing you a super weekend Hugs Tracey xx

My name is Erika. said...

The alcohol ink really did give this tag a super boost of vintage...it looks like an old painted picket fence-or that feel at least! I love it! Smart idea and I bet you'll be using it again. I would at least. Hugs-Erika

Jane said...

Wow this is gorgeous Alison. Such amazing texture xxx

A Pink said...

Oh my giddy - this is such a treat, Alison. The crackle and alco ink mix creates such a stunning effect and then all your well chosen extra touches makes for such a super fantastic tag. LOVE!
hope you have a lovely weekend
hugs x

Dorthe said...

Ohhhhhh Alison, totally love this- gorgeous with the crackle and the look of long time outside, , the wire making it rust and the paint loosing color over time- You could make me believe this has been a key holder hanging outside for years !!!! Hugs, Dorthe

Let's Art Journal said...

You always create such beauty and this is no exception, it's a stunning piece! The crackle effect looks amazing with the layers of alcohol ink and paints 😁. I may just have to get my crackle paste out although for some reason it never seems to work that well ...lol 😉. I love the rusty elements with those thistles and the words you chose are perfect too! Happy Friday and Weekend! J 😊 x

Roosterhead Designs said...

Oh my Alison, the tag is awesome! It is like an 'original find' among
some vintage ephemera and forgotten treasures~ The 'look' is just right! with the crackling paint and rusty edges. The addition of the wire wrap (& up top too) is perfect : ) and the words are too~ Authentic look! TFS Hugs, karen o

experiments in paper said...

Magnificent tag! I adore your color palette, as usual, and those touches of Quinacridone Gold just put this over the top! Loving that stamp, and the rusty bits added as well.... thank you for a fabulous piece of inspiration! Happy weekend - xxx Lynn

Meggymay said...

Fabulous texture effects, it is an awesome tag.
Yvonne xx

Redanne said...

Oooh, all that lovely crackle, it is such a great start to your tag. The eggplant is such a wonderful colour to sit those beautiful thistles on... and then the gorgeous rust. Absolutely gorgeous. I do wish we still had thistles in our garden, they always attracted the most beautiful butterflies. Anne xx

Chrissy said...

Alison, you do the best crackles and rusts..brilliant tag.

Luv CHRISSYxx

Helen said...

that is really fabulous crackle! a great tag. love the thistle.

Craftyfield said...

The crackle is fabulous and the rust so real looking! Gorgeous tag, Alison!

WendyK said...

Absolutely fabulous, just love the crackle and all those wonderful colours. I haven't used my alcohol inks for years, time to get them out me thinks.

LauraVi said...

Great combo Alcohol ink plus crackle, thank you for the inspiration, great work!

Sue said...

This is fabulous, gorgeous crackle and what a great idea to use alcohol ink. Have a very happy weekend, Sue xx

Dortesjs said...

SO so amazing love you tag, so substantial and great

Monika Gulyas said...

The alcohol inks make the crackles interesting!!! Fabulous tag, Alison!!! Happy Sunday!!!

Neet said...

Absolutely stunning Alison. I would never have thought of adding alcohol inks to a crackle tag but you have certainly given me an idea now which I hope I will get around to using in the future.
Love how the inks have added just the right touch and amount of colour and how you have rusted the cracks.
I am often blown away with the colour palette you use and this is no exception - just a wonderful combination to which you added those delicate thistle heads which brought the whole tag into a new light. Of course, you then rounded it all off with just a few simple words and embellishments - what a gorgeous, wonderful tag this is.
Hugs, Neet x

Astrid Maclean said...

Just popping by for my weekly visit...How clever to use AIs over the crackle, a super fluid effect and great to know they stay in place after layers of paint, the overall end effect looks amazing and so gorgeous and rusty!! Those thistles are a real favourite and they certainly have beauty! Love the shadow effect you managed to give them with stamping with the two colours. And of course the way you added the rusty embellishments are the perfect finishing touch! Another super tag!!
Happy Sunday!

Diana @ Playing Without Limits said...

This is amazing and inspirational. I love crackle paste but struggle with alcohol inks. This has given me some ideas and jumping off points on things to try.

Diana @ Playing
https://playingwithoutlimits.wordpress.com/

Little Artbee said...

Wonderful that crackeled background and the rusty touch. Great design!
Dear Greetings
Sabine

Maura said...

Fantastic texture, Alison!! Wow, I feel like this is an old weathered treasure. Love the natural feel and color, the rusty feel and that old wire twisted at the top - brilliant!Thanks for joining us this week for our challenge at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge, Maura

Meihsia Liu said...

This is such a stunning tag, Alison. The texture on the background you created is awesome! :)

chrissie said...

You are the queen of crackle Alison. I don't think I have ever seen any that looked so deep and realistic. The tag is so beautiful with so little added. Must have take ages to make.

I am still thinking about the words after watching Anthony Gormley looking at ancient cave art.

Always something to make me ponder when I read your word finds.

Love Chrissie xx

Mrs.B said...

The crackle looks amazing, especially with the colour tones you added along with the rusty wire, so beautiful.
Avril xx

Mac Mable said...

I have taken awhile to comment Alison as I do so love to read and then read again as I love digesting the process and learning. All new to me about using the alcohol inks over the crackle and it look fabulous. Love that it doesn't move when you continue to play with water, paints etc. The rust effect looks so realistic and the thistle stamping is glorious. Love the tag and learnt lots (again) thank you x.

sarascloset said...

Amazing art panel, Alison! I love that rusty crackle and how you've washed it with the inks. Those thistles turned out beautifully; good save with the EP to give them just the right amount of presence. Love this simple design that speaks volumes. Hugs!

froebelsternchen said...

Love, artful skills, technique - you have enough from all that is needed to make unique stuff Alison! Simply AMAZING!

Linda Simpson said...

Absolutely gorgeous, thank you for joining us over a Bleeding Art.
Hugs
Linda xxx
Bleeding Art DT

pearshapedcrafting said...

Wow! Watching the transformation of the tag into this rusty delight was mesmerising - it looks as though this tag really has been hanging around on your desk for a very long time! Hugs, Chrisx

Cathy F said...

Beautiful tag and the cracks and rusty goodness are marvelous! Thanks for joining us at Bleeding Art!

rachel said...

wow - that crackle looks amazing - love the wire too - it looks simply amazing! Hugs rachel x

AnastasiaElena said...

Stunning! Colours, texture just WOW!
Thank you for playing with us at Mixed Media Place!

Rika said...

Gorgeous tag, love the crackly.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I'm playing catch-up here. You had me at rust. Rust is one of my favorite things. I love how you used the wire in the hole. It made everything come together so nicely.

Anna-Karin said...

This tag is so beautiful Alison. I LOVE the crackle effect. I always had a thing for crackle effects and can clearly remember getting my first crackle medium years ago. The alcohol inks look so cool the the crackle background. I hope you will have a lovely weekend!! / Anna-Karin

Deb said...

Absolutely gorgeous Alison, I've never used alcohol inks on crackle medium but now must give it a go, what fabulous results! A very well deserved Designer Spotlight win at Simon Says Stamp, congratulations! Deb xo

Caro´s kreative Welt said...

WOW what a beautiful background. Beautiful your TAG. Thanks for sharing at Fashionable Stamping Challenges.
Greetings Carola

sarascloset said...

Back to say huge congratulations on your Designer Spotlight at SSS! Your beautiful artwork is so deserving of this honor! Hugs!

Katie said...

Stunning tag and love the crackle.

Anonymous said...

YES YES YES! This is awesome!!! Crackle is my JAM! lol I am in love with this piece!!!

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

I totally love the alcohol inks over the Crackle... Soft and vintage looking. This is so chic!

Anat Weksler said...

Fantastic Tag!! Thank you for joining us at the Mixed Media Place Challenge!

Arantzazu said...

stunning tag!!!
love that rusty background with the crackle!
thanks for playing with us at MMP!