I'm travelling into a new way of working, a new country, a new language, and a new hobby which I'm passionate about. Come with me for some of the journey...

Friday 26 July 2019

Perfection is Overrated

Hello all!  I'm here with the last of my samples created with the new PaperArtsy Minis designed by Seth Apter and launched earlier this month.  This pair of tags may be my favourite of the lot, I think.  


I had one more Mini left to ink up by this point, so that one is in action here.  And this time I've layered a couple of the minis together to create my grungy backgrounds.






The first layers were created with several Fresco paint colours brayered onto the tags (as done with the ATCs), and then some Distress Inks and Oxides smooshed on the top (as used on the first tag trio) - so this pair brings the whole collection together by using both techniques.













The last Mini which needed to see some action was Eclectica³ Mini 48 EM48.  I love these grungy circles (they remind me of the rusty bubbles on my Bubble, Bubble, Boil and Bubble tag last year).

I'm a bit confused about how they turned out, mind you.












I stamped them in Acorn Archival ink - which is earthy brown at first stamping.  But when I then applied clear embossing powder to the stamping, they turned this rather nice green colour (like unripe acorns, I suppose!).











I don't know whether it's just my inkpad, or whether it's the case with all Acorn pads (let me know if you've got one and have tried clear-embossing it!).

I'm not objecting... I rather like the effect.  In fact, I decided to have both acorn colours together, so I used the same Acorn ink to stamp EM 44 around the tags.












This time I left it un-embossed, so the angular lines in acorn-brown contrast with the squiggly circles in acorn-green.












I thought these two chaps from the Idea-ology Paper Dolls suited the look of the backgrounds.
















They each have a casual strength in their confident stance which works well with the energy of the background layers.
















Strips of torn book page help them to stand out from the busy layers behind them, and some dark tissue tape provides the "ground" for them to stand on...
















... and a couple of metal cogs add extra interest.
















The words are again chosen from Finnabair's Art Daily Words You Need pad of words and phrases.













I think the bold font and the capitalisation suits the self-assured mood of the men and the excitement of the grungy layered backgrounds.














I used some simple twine to top the tags off, before mounting them on inked white card as a frame.









I thought I'd finish off by sharing a quick shot of the whole "collection".  They were all done in one morning, following an urgent request from Leandra for samples to go on the show display boards.


Look at what you can get done when you don't have time to think!   The truth is I really got into the "zone" or my "flow" or however you want to put it.  I had an absolute ball playing with these stamps and getting my grunge on.  I hope you've enjoyed them as much as I did.  

Hope you all have a great weekend - perhaps a little cooler, with luck!

Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it.
Salvador Dali

It is reasonable to have perfection in our eye that we may always advance toward it, though we know it can never be reached.
Samuel Johnson

I'd like to share this pair of tags at the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge where they'd like to see anything which is Not a Card
At Tag Tuesday the challenge theme chosen by Wendy is Circles
And how about some more Splatters and Splodges for the challenge at Try It On Tuesday

33 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

Beautiful tags, love the cool colours - a great contrast to the 40°+ we are 'enjoying' here just now! Hugs, Valerie

Redanne said...

Another brilliant set of tags, I quite like the green effect. I wonder if the embossing ink reacted in some way with the Oxides, since the Oxides react with anything wet... just a thought. Whatever, they are fabulous tags and I agree with Valerie above, the cool colours are very welcome in this horrendous heat! Anne xx

Cath Wilson said...

It's a great green, even if it isn't supposed to be, lol. Didn't the Stazon Timber Brown go green? I'm sure it did when they were first introduced and I never got to replace mine, which was a shame because I really wanted that shade :-( So maybe it's something to do with the process of mixing colours? I love your tags and the backgrounds are wonderful - just my cup of tea. The serendipitous colour change looks brilliant, lol. The ubiquitous Ideology figures are popping up everywhere these days, and I can understand why.
Thank you so much for playing in our Splatters and Splodges challenge, Alison. Lovely to 'see' you.
Cath x

Anne (cornucopia) said...

Fantastic tags. Your entire collection looks great.

WendyK said...

Absolutely fantastic tags, love all of them. The grunge and colours are wonderful. That you for doing us on Tag Tuesday. xx

Patty O'Malley said...

Wonderful tags, Alison!

My name is Erika. said...

Oh I like these too. What a super collection you created. I love the grunge feel and how you used those images. And once again, BIG thanks for joining us at Try It on Tuesday Alison. Happy weekend. Hugs-Erika

Astrid Maclean said...

Two fabulous tags, and very much you, I would have recognised those anywhere
Happy weekend xx

Dorthe said...

And I had such great time watching what you did here, Alison,-
they are all wonderful, the two last ones here, so filled with painty and inked layers , looking amazing , and I so agree with your sentiments :-)
Hugs, Dorthe

Sue said...

These are fabulous Alison and very you! I can't believe you made them all in one morning, you must definitely have been in 'the zone' I have two TH Brushed Corduroy pens and they are both the same green as your brown/green. It's not a bad green, but I'd really like the shade of brown that is on the pen cap lol. Have a lovely weekend, Sue xx

suzyb said...

They look soooo amazing all together like that!! They are alllll really great to look at, you are so talented Alison. Love your art :D Have a lovely weekend. Stay hydrated.

Helen said...

I do have acorn archival, but my clear embossing powder is very old and last time I tried it was a bit of a failure, I think it's worn out!! your latest tags look amazing, and they all look fabulous together.

Lys said...

Both tags are beautiful, as always, it's a delight to see the details. But the whole collection is amazing!

Roosterhead Designs said...

Bravo~ : ) These last two truly complete your gorgeous 'collection'!
I see what you mean about the book page pieces setting-off the paper dolls and help them stand on their own, even with an energetic background (along with the black washi you give to ground them.)
But it is those backgrounds you create that amaze me! Love all the textures and techniques you use Alison~ Gorgeous results~ Hugs and warm wishes, karen o

Valerie-Jael said...

....And thanks for joining us at Tag Tuesday, much appreciated! Valerie

Meggymay said...

A fabulous selection of small projects, the whole collection looks awesome.
Thank you so much for linking to our theme over at Try it on Tuesdays.
Yvonne xx

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Absolutely INCREDIBLE, Alison. I can't believe you created all those in a single morning. You have a great command of your art and a wonderful collection of stamps and goodies to choose from. I am truly impressed. As much as I enjoyed following you through the steps of the last two tags, the entire collection simply blew me away. Talk about loving it. You make incredible art, dear and I would LOVE to make art with you someday.

Craftyfield said...

The last 2 are just as beautiful as the rest of the collection! Not a bad for a morning's work... xx

Neet said...

These two latest tags are gorgeous. Reading your recipe for success (sorry, could not resist that because it is like a recipe when you tell us what and how you have used the various medias) I never understand how you get such wonderful backgrounds and I end up with something nowhere near as nice. You have the magic touch and know how!
As I say, these two tags are gorgeous but as I scrolled down the page and got to the end I saw them all in their glory - what a beautiful gallery of art!
Thank you so much for sharing with us once more, and thanks for the recipes you give us too.
Hugs, Neet xx
ps I once had a brown pad given to me by a retailer because when it was used it came out green. She had a whole batch like that so gave them out to her friends - complete with new label showing "green".

froebelsternchen said...

This a an unique collection! Oh yes I enjoyed it so much!!! Thank you for sharing with us!
Big hugs, Susi

Mac Mable said...

I can see why these might be your favourites but for me I am loving them all x What stunning samples and you can clearly see that you where in the zone x Thank you for the fabulous inspiration x.

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

I love these posts Alison, it gives me chance to see new products and what i'm missing out on. Your gallery of tags look magnificent all lined up in a row. You have me intrigued about the ink pad, I've made a mental note and will have to try when i'm next inking up. I know I had an issue with a archival but that was because it had been in the line of fire of some Oxide spray. I will let you know my findings.
Have a super week, Creative Hugs Tracey xx

craftytrog said...

Absolutely fabulosso! xx

Cocofolies said...

I adore them, using these two men images on your wonderful backgrounds is a great idea Alison. I love your inspirational collection, fabulous!!
You made a fantastic job with all the minis :)
Coco xx

experiments in paper said...

What a fabulous and brilliant assembly of the new stamps, and your talent!! And to think these tags were all made in a morning - I bow to you and the flow to which you obviously connected! I love here your thoughts about the stance of these men and their confidence, and how you've tempered that oh so well in your gentle, subtle way, and of course illustrating the genius of Seth's stamps at the same time. As always, love your colors, the layering, and the choice of words and images. Exquisite eye candy here, and definitely bookmarked! xxx Lynn

Paper Profusion said...

A brilliant pair of tags Alison. Wonderful use of the male 'dolls', the backing text strip makes for super contrast and pop. The full collection looks very impressive indeed. Nicola x

Anna-Karin said...

These are wonderful Alison! And all in one morning! Love the textures, messages and all the colors. Thank you so much for sharing with us at the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog!

Marjut said...

Beautiful tags. Thank you for joining us at TioT.

sarascloset said...

Oh, I agree, thinking is overrated when it comes to creativity! I can see why these are favorites for you! The colors are so beautifully earthy, and these are the perfect paper dolls to get the job done. I have the acorn ink pad, and I'll need to give it a try to see if I can get twice the mileage of color by embossing. What a happy accident! Love seeing all the samples grouped together! Now it looks like you have been one busy girl at the craft table, but I'm afraid it might take me more that one sitting to catch up. I hope you have a lovely weekend, and I'll be back for more eye candy! Sending hugs!

Seth said...

You are an alchemist and a magician -- beautiful cards and a surprising, magical color too boot!

Let's Art Journal said...

Such beautiful tags! The colours look wonderful and I love all the splatters and splodges, they add lovely texture to the background 😁. Thanks so much for joining in the fun at Try it on Tuesday! Hugs, Jo x
p.s. so sorry to be so late visiting you. I managed to bash my nose on a door handle over the weekend, my nose is not broken but I now have 2 black eyes developing. My nose is swollen and bruised so I can't wear my reading glasses which makes it very hard to blog as I can't see ...lol 😉. I'll try and get back up to date with all your posts soon! Hugs, Jo x

pearshapedcrafting said...

Oooh! Nearly missed these fabulous tags! What fabulous backgrounds - you really can look into the depths of these layers, and what a surprise to find you have such versatile ink pad!! I am so impressed that you created all this wonderful art in a morning! Oops! I see you have joined us again at Try It On Tuesday too, Thank you so much! Chrisxx

Caty said...

What fabulous tags Alison !! I loove the way you have created them, the backgrounds are espectacular, great layers and texture. Love your collection, tags and atc´s are Amazing !!
Congrats for being at the top 5 at Try it on Tuesday.
Wish you a very nice new week,
Big hugs, Caty