I'm travelling into a new way of working, a new country, a new language, and a new hobby which I'm passionate about. Come with me for some of the journey...

Monday 29 July 2019

Going for a walk

Hello all!  I'm just making it in under the wire with my entry for this month's Art Journal Journey theme.  I promised myself I'd play along at least once a month this year but the lovely Chris of PearShapedCrafting slightly stumped me with her "We're All Going..." theme.  It's a lovely idea, and opened up lots of possibilities for everyone, but I found myself paralysed between two phrases which really didn't inspire me at all.

Firstly, there was "We're all going on a summer holiday... " - thanks for that earworm, Cliff Richard! - but that just isn't true for me this year.  And then there was "We're all going to hell in a handcart," which seems a lot more apt for the current state of world affairs, but was far too depressing for me to want to start journalling about.  I know that you can use art journalling for all kinds of emotions and expressivity - but, just at the moment, I prefer to escape from nightmarish reality when I head into the craft-room, rather than take it in there with me.


In the end, with July rapidly running out of days, I decided my best bet was to run for my happiest possible artsy place, so on my art journalling page we're all going for a walk in the meadow.  When the world is looking dark, some sunlight and a gentle breeze are sometimes all that's needed to feel a little more cheerful.







This is a heavily textured page, since I started with a thick coat of watercolour ground to prepare the page for using watercolour paints.  It gives you a deliciously grainy, sandy texture which also allows the pigment to flow as though you had watercolour paper.

It means you can get lovely soft background effects before applying more detail in later layers.













The paper in this large 10x10 inch album from Paperchase is already sturdy (it's the same book as has the Inspiring Herbs and Wild and Organic pages), but the ground gives you even more weight and texture. 











Watercolours are the main medium here.  At this stage, that's all that's on the page, apart from the watercolour ground itself... but then I moved on to a more mixed media approach.














There are some nice thick applications of heavy body acrylic to create texture in the flower heads.















I love the dimension and movement this gives you.
















I used some large PITT artist pens to add some variation in line to some of the stems...














... as well as adding some soft blue flower heads to the distant stems in the background.  














And it wanted warming up a bit so I added some of my favourite Broken China Distress Stain, creating turquoise shading beneath the flower heads as well as deepening the colour of the sky.
















There's some script stamping in Olive Archival adding texture to the undergrowth.














I used my dipping pen and some Turtle Dove Grey ink by Colorex to write the words, which are layered over some torn strips of tissue tape.












I've no nearby meadows to head into in real life, so the craft table version will just have to do for now when I need to escape.

I hope you've enjoyed coming for a walk with me, and I'll be back soon with some exciting posts in the next couple of weeks.  Stay tuned and happy crafting in the meantime!









In a meadow full of flowers, you cannot walk through and breathe those smells and see all those colors and remain angry. We have to support the beauty, the poetry, of life.
Jonas Mekas

I'd like to share this over at Art Journal Journey for this month's theme of "We're All Going..."
At the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge, they're looking for projects which are Bright and Cheerful - my sunshine meadow has made me feel a little more cheerful about the world, so I'd like to play along there too
I'd also like to share this at Paint Party Friday - continuing to work on expanding my experience with watercolours, and also exploring how they fit in with my mixed media work

27 comments:

Dorthe said...

It is so very beautiful dear Alison, - a walk in such lovely meadow ,
and your words could be mine ,- reality, for the moment - is far more scary than what we could dream up ourself,- no need for scary movies,- we just can look out in the world , - I also try to escape it , like you so wonderfully did here . Hugs, Dorthe

Valerie-Jael said...

This is so beautiful, love the delicate colours and flowers. Great texture, too. Hugs, Valerie

craftytrog said...

Such a beautiful page Alison, a wonderful way to escape the madness all around! 'Hell in a handcart' sums it up perfectly! Lol!
Just googled Olga Da Polga by the way and I'm going to be looking out for the books in charity shops from now on! Wink!
Have a creative week.
Alison xx

Helen said...

what a beautiful page, it was worth waiting for. glad you didn't try to depict going to hell in a handcart, although I am sure it would have turned out fabulous too!

Meggymay said...

A gorgeous page. It would be lovely to walk in such a beautiful meadow.
Yvonne xx

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

As always, I am impressed by your wonderful journal page. This one spoke to me for the background and bits of paper pieces you added to the background, as well as the flowers you stamped and created. This is a stunning beauty, Alison, and I'm thrilled you share it with us using Chris's theme at Art Journal Journey.

My name is Erika. said...

Gorgeous journal page Alison. This is a beautiful meadow. I would like to be walking through this meadow on a cool morning, maybe even a slightly foggy one. Happy new week. Hugs-Erika

Erika said...

Your colors are beautiful, dear Alison.Somewhere between green and blue, which I love very much :) The structure of the paper goes hand in hand with the theme. It looks perfect.
Greetings from Erika

Cestina said...

Perfect meadow, place to be now. Just remember: "This too shall pass..." xxx

Sue said...

This is lovely Alison, such soft, gentle colours, and considering the choices that you came up with, far better than you could have imagined (though the 'hell in a handcart' did make my chuckle. Hope your week gets better, Sue xx

Patty O'Malley said...

Beautiful page, Alison! It does invoke calm feelings. Much needed these days!

suzyb said...

Heading on to a new chapter in my life with turning 60 tomorrow, 31st, I am going to go walk through a meadow for my last day in my 50's. Perfect thing to do today.
Loved this piece as I do all your work Alison. The colours, the soft flowers, the textures. Beautiful.

Paper Profusion said...

Beautifully delicate and wispy with a lovely gentle energy. Sincerely share your thoughts on world affairs so your wild 'meadow' art is most welcome. Keep your heart up. x

Words and Pictures said...

Seems to be the only way to "talk to" suzyb, so I hope you see this... Many, many happy returns. I also did a "milestone" one this year, but ten years behind you! I hope the next decade will be a brilliant one for you, and thank you so much for all your lovely comments and support always.
Alison x

Mac Mable said...

I sure did enjoy walking with you in your beautiful meadow, which is calm, organic and so very pretty. Gorgeous layout with great depth and wonderful free hand embellishments x

Let's Art Journal said...

Wow, what a beautiful meadow! It must have been fun to create with all that heavy texture and the flowers look amazing - I love it 😁. Thanks for the song reference, you know I'm going to be singing it for the rest of the day now ...lol 😉. Wishing you a lovely week! Hugs, Jo x

experiments in paper said...

Such a lovely and restful spread, and exactly what I needed this morning; I should know better than to read the news first off. So thank you, Alison, for this beautiful reminder, including your ending quote.... prompts me to stop and smell the flowers, and b-r-e-a-t-h-e! I'm also in love with all the texture you've managed here, including those swaying yarrows, one of my favorites! xxx Lynn

froebelsternchen said...

The best possibility to escape from the worlds drama is walking through a meadow or to meditate or to make art. You combined all three things here in an absolutely charming and delightful way! It just makes me happy to see this rare beauty linked to AJJ. Thank you for supporting the challenge dear Alison.
Happy week!
Susi xxx

A Pink said...

Thank you for the walk through your lovely meadow, Alison. Thoroughly enjoyable with so much beauty to take in . A much needed and welcome escape from some stressful days of late .

I hope to catch up with your last few posts during the week - sorry for being so late in getting there
hugs x

Arnoldo L. Romero, MLA said...

I'm so glad you didn't choose the depressing "going to hell" quote, which I agree that it's the state of world affairs. As a Christian and positive thinker, I LOVE the quote you chose, which is what we need to do during these times. Your page is full of hope, with it's beautiful peaceful color scheme and soothing textures. Happy belated PPF and peace!

Craftyfield said...

Wild grasses! Love them too.. Great page Alison!

pearshapedcrafting said...

Phew! Thank goodness you took a walk in a meadow - sorry to have set such a poser for you! Glad you dropped the depressing thoughts - I think escapism is the order of the day for lots of us!! Such a lovely walk this is too - I can almost hear those flowers rubbing their heads together in the breeze! Thank you so much for sharing this for my theme at Art Journal Journey! I'm sorry it's taken a while to get here - a huge backlog of stuff to do had me wanting to do some blog visiting but then had to wait for hubby to finish with the computer! I suppose being on holiday and making samples just may have contributed too!!! Hugs,Chrisxx

Roosterhead Designs said...

Beautifully done Alison! I enjoy (looking at) watercolor so much~ I like the cheerfulness of your title too!, bringing me to a happy place.
The softness of the whole thing is so lovely - with texture in the right places to give interest~ I like the cool gray-blue background flowers; they draw me deeper into the meadow~
Always enjoy my visits here! Thank you for sharing the details of your beautiful work with us~ Hugs, karen o (ps My daughter and I ea have a 'milestone this yr. sounds like you are right in between us! ; )

Mrs.B said...

I'd love to walk in that meadow, it looks such a peaceful place. Gorgeous colours and textures and a lovely theme.
Avril xx

sarascloset said...

It seems as if your art journal page has offered plenty of us the much needed diversion. And what a lovely diversion it is. Especially loved reading the words that went with the pictures on this one. Your mixed media approach is fabulous, and I do feel much lighter and brighter already! Your finishing quote is so perfect, and one I should paste to my forehead! So happy to have caught up for the moment--your work is always so inspiring! Hugs and happy weekend! I hope you find an actual meadow soon!

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

I can not believe I missed this one Alison, it certain does take me on a much needed walk. The world sure has turned on it's heel we must treasure days like these when we can just put our vision to paper and create what we need to see. Every inspiring.. with it's magnificent texture. Thank you for sharing Hugs Tracey xx

Neet said...

Where have I been? I cannot believe I had missed so many of your posts. Perhaps it is all down to this bad back I have had for so long.
You are so right, some sunlight and a gentle breeze are something that makes us all feel more cheerful.
You obviously chose the correct journal to do this page in - the ground is perfect for this hazy finish which makes me feel like I am languishing in a field of beautiful flowers - with the sun and the gentle breeze of course.
Your choice of inks and any colour you have used is just perfect, I only wish I could achieve effects like this.
Hugs, Neet xx