I'm travelling into a new way of working, a new country, a new language, and a new hobby which I'm passionate about. Come with me for some of the journey...

Thursday 31 January 2019

Taking Flight

Hello all!  I'm here with a pair of tags today, just for fun - and with a jolt of colour to brighten up these chilly days.  It's still a combination of my favourite blues and browns, but really pushing into the rusty-orange end of the spectrum.  I think I got infected by the Rusty Alcohol tag!


I'll make no apology for reverting to my favourite imagery either - the meadow flowers, the birds taking flight - it's what I need at the moment.  And I'm taking permission from my recent art journalling spread to create what I need.







The background is a combination of Distress Inks and Oxides.  When you're smooshing inks on the craft mat, you might as well make two tags while you're at it.















There's some Faded Jeans involved up in the sky area...















... and some Rusty Hinge, Antique Linen and maybe Walnut Stain involved lower down.









I also used the Rusty Hinge DI to add some really intense spots of colour in places.  (Click on the photos to see them full size.)


I love how it really pops against the chalkier Oxide effects, and provides such contrast with the blue tones.








I stamped with a combination of inks mixed directly on the stamp - some Oxide, some Archival, some DI.  Darker toned Walnut Stain and Coffee take their place towards the foot of the stems, and brighter Rusty Hinge and Sepia at the tips.















I used clear embossing powder to give the delicate stems a little more presence against the busy background.













The birds are stamped in Jet Black Archival, and then there's some Wow Bark embossing powder over the top of that.













It gives them more substance, and also that fabulous gleam when the light catches them, so that there's almost a sense of movement in the wings as you move the tag in the light.













The words are from the Idea-ology Small Talk stickers, with just a sweep of Antique Linen DI over them to soften the whiteness of the lettering.













The original white font was sticking out too much and drawing the eye away from the mellow glow of the sunlit meadow, but the Antique Linen drops it back just the right amount.













Some fine twine tops off the tags, and I used my dip pen to add some walnut ink borders around the edges of the tags.

Rustic simplicity right to the end.







Thanks so much for dropping in today.  I hope you've enjoyed walking in this wintry meadow at dawn with me.  See you soon, and happy crafting in the meantime.

Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return.
Leonarda da Vinci


At Country View Challenges there's a theme of Landscapes/Cityscapes

I'd like to play along at the Fashionable Stamping Challenges where Anything Goes

Anything Goes  at the Bleeding Art Challenge Blog too -  with four kinds of ink, paint spatter and lots of embossing powder, these should be mixed media enough

I'm also joining in at the Three Muses Challenge where the theme is Birds (thanks to Anne for the heads-up!)

44 comments:

Helen said...

what a great pair of tags, I love that rusty colour at the foot on the stems. Glad you've had time to play just for fun!

Valerie-Jael said...

Wonderful tags, they remind me of walking through the fields here in Autumn. Hugs, Valerie

Annie said...

Beautiful tagsAlison and I love the colour combo x The meadow flowers look so rich against the sky x
TFS and huge hugs
Annie xx

chrissie said...

The tags are amazing and so you Alison. No need to apologies for using and making the things you like best. It is terrific that you find so many ways to use them and create such wonderful artist projects.

The words were great today. Vic said this morning, as we watched the seagulls flying around to get warm, that it must feel like nothing else to be able to fly like birds.

Have a great day

Love Chrissie xx

Anne (cornucopia) said...

These are beautiful. And I like the words on both. Your tags would go with this week's theme of "birds" over at The Three Muses. It's a very welcoming site with friendly bloggers.

sarascloset said...

So beautiful, Alison. These tags take me back to the fields on the farm where I grew up. Love everything about these beauties from the washes of oxides and inks to the penned outline. Sending hugs!

Amanda said...

Indeed why not make 2? so now 2 fabulous tags for the price of one.
Love
Amanda X

Taluula said...

This is one of my most favourite colour palettes. I love your gorgeous tags.

Lenie said...

Wow! This is so beautiful! Thanks Alison, for the pictures and how you describe how you did it. Great!

Cath Wilson said...

I don't think anyone need make any kind of apology for using either meadow flowers or birds - they're both amongst my favourite images and are both so evocative - and versatile! Fab choice of colours here. You've achieved a real sense of drama and a bit of a stormy effect. Beautiful.

Cath x

My name is Erika. said...

Although I thought of autumn when I first saw these tags, now I think they could be winter with light snow also. They are absolutely gorgeous Alison. You do the speckling so beautifully. Hope all is well and you are not too cold where you are. Hugs-Erika

froebelsternchen said...

Oh Alison! I simply adore everything about these unique tags! They are absolutely gorgeous!

Big hugs, Susi

Jennie Atkinson said...

Wonderful tags Alison - such a fabulous mix of colours which are very reminiscent of the winter here. I took a photograph yesterday of a poinsettia bush all orange against the snow and blue sky. Your tags are just a perfect match! Jennie x

Mrs.B said...

Beautiful tags Alison, they remind me of a late Autumn Frosty morning when the reeds and branches still have some colour. I love your nature themed tags, so never apologise for using the same stamps.
Avril xx

Dorthe said...

I`m so glad you used your favorites , they are all sooo beautiful, and so adorable tags you created with them ,looking so textural,-- and I wish I could touch on the computer .
Beautiful dear Alison, hugs xoxo

Linda Simpson said...

This is gorgeous, thank you for joining us over a Bleeding Art.
Hugs
Linda xxx
Bleeding Art DT

Neet said...

Perfect background, perfect images and perfect words - all add up to two absolutely fabulous tags. I love your colour palette, love the misty feel you have achieved - just love your two tags.
Hugs, Neet xx

indybev said...


The combination of blue and rust is so pleasing to the eye. Thanks for taking us on your journey of creation!

indybev said...

Me again to say I've explored your blog and I LOVE your work!

pearshapedcrafting said...

Your favourite colours certainly bring out the best in your tags - you have created some lovely Winter sun for the birds (and me) to enjoy! I am at last able to have a catch up on blogs so I am heading backwards now -I''m sure I've missed a lot!! Hugs, Chrisx

Chrissy said...

I love these tags Alison..the colours are superb, love the birds and the "light" behind the plants..gorgeous.

Luv CHRISSYxx

Sue said...

What gorgeous tags Alison, and I love that they come in pairs. The colours are perfect together, especially the Rusty Hinge - this really pops against the paler colours. Thank you so much for joining in with our challenge at Country View Crafts and have a very happy week, Sue xx

Craftyfield said...

Gorgeous scenery, Alison, the textures and colours are perfect! Thanks for joining us at Country View Challenges this month. xx

Cathy F said...

These are spectacular tags - the color palette is fab! Thanks for joining us at Bleeding!

rachel said...

Your tags are truely stunning Alison - the oxide/di background is so beautiful and the rusty brown really looks super too - gorgeous words - alljust perfect! Hugs rachel xx

Miriam said...

Gorgeous tags - love them

Meggymay said...

Gorgeous tags Alison. I love the frosty winter blues and the warmer autumnal shades. The words you added are perfect for the scenes you created.
Yvonne xx

Redanne said...

Rustic simplicity is such a great way to describe these beautiful tags Alison, the rusty tones look so beautiful against the cool blues. The sentiments are just perfect too! Anne xx

Roosterhead Designs said...

Oh my word! So much depth and texture on this pair of gorgeous tags! Your processes, your steps; - are incredible, and I think that's where the depth and richness of your work really shines~ (just sayin' ;) The field is believable, the sky is believable, and the birds coming up out of the grass - is all believable and truly draws me in. [not flattery friend] but the sign of an artist! Love it~ Hugs, karen o

Rika said...

Stunning tags!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Unbelievable. Such attention to details, like the way you embossed the stems, used ink to mellow out the white font of the sentiments, and the way you embossed the birds. These are gorgeous and incredible tags, Alison.

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

Why change a combination of colour when it works so well Alison, we are all drawn by certain images and it can be so comforting to see. Like a personal trademark it makes us feel at home that's why I always love to visit.
Paired perfectly with those words Thank you for sharing this delightful duo.
Hugs for the weekend Tracey x
P.S Hope all is well with the move?

suzyb said...

Beautiful tags Alison and I always love the bird stamps and the wild flowers at the bottom of your tag. When you love something, use it. I think I will have to get me some Rusty Hinge. Love the effects you have done with the Oxides, I love those inks! Great pieces. Thoroughly enjoy your art.

craftytrog said...

A beautiful pair of tags Alison. I love the colours, images and quotes that you used.
Alison xx

Mac Mable said...

Love your mix of oxides, inks and archival to produce these two fabulous tags. The rusty tones look wonderful and the intense colour spots when you click on the images look amazing. Stunning, both of them and thank you for the step by steps x.

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Love these, gorgeous colours and texture. Hugs, Angela xXx

Let's Art Journal said...

Wow, your wintery meadow tags are stunning! I love the colours that you used and the way you embossed the birds - beautiful 😁. The words that you chose, as always, are perfect too! I hope you had a lovely week! Happy and creative wishes! J 😊 x

Emma Goddard said...

This is stunning work, beautifully done. Thanks for joining us at BleedingArt, good luck xx

Katie said...

Stunning tags

Anonymous said...

I'm speechless. Utterly...just in awe. I love your style!

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

Pinned these!!! Wow! I can hear those birds flapping their wings... Love that sky!!!

paperwishesbyamanda said...

Wow rust looks so good with the blue skies. Stunning tag. x

Barbara said...

Alison you are always so kind for me! I apologize for my absence but it's impossible for me to comment every wonderful project because it's a little bit difficult period even if it's starting to improve! All your projects are incredible! I adore them! thanks so much for your words on my blog! barbara

Cocofolies said...

I love these tags Alison, so atmospheric and great!!!
Gorgeous colours of DI and DO on your background, and the highlighted parts using some embossing powders either clear or bark black are just perfect :) Fantastic, you must have fun indeed creating these ones!
Coco xx