I'm travelling into a new way of working, a new country, a new language, and a new hobby which I'm passionate about. Come with me for some of the journey...

Tuesday 30 April 2019

Having fun flying

Oops... almost didn't make it!  I promised myself I would try to join in at Art Journal Journey at least once a month this year.  One set of journal pages once a month... how hard could that be, right?  Well, I got the pages done a couple of weeks ago, but the blogpost almost didn't get written.  I just remembered in time, so here I am "Having Fun", as commanded by Wendy for this month's theme.

I simply had fun with some of my favourite things... crackle and book pages and leafy stems, some texture, some tissue tape and, of course, some words.


It's another spread in the hardback book I altered as part of a France Papillon workshop.  (You can check out all the spreads so far, as well as the book alteration itself, here.)








I spread some watercolour ground over the pages - gorgeous sandy texture - and then set to with some spritzing and spraying.  Your guess is as good as mine at this distance of exactly which colours are on the page.
















I added the gorgeous new Gothic architecture stamp by Tim in Watering Can Archival, and added some strips of tissue and design tape for the Paper Doll to stand on while she tests her new wings.















She's the Paper Doll who usually holds a furled flag, but I've removed that with a quick snip of the scissors.














The quote is from my recent new EAB11 collection at PaperArtsy, Wings & Flight.  Definitely one for the dreamers.  I do think it would be fun to fly.













And you can see who the dreaming author of those words was, tucked down in the tissue tape strips near the Paper Doll's feet.













The wings themselves (from the new Idea-ology range) weren't showing up too well (they're clear acetate in their natural form), so I gave them a sweep of gesso on the back to make them a little more solid.













But they still have a magical sheen if you get the angle right!

















Tim's star stencil is plastered across the sky, giving her a wonderful place to take flight into.  The crackle paint I used gives an extra touch of texture...














... particularly once I highlighted it with some Pewter Treasure Gold for a delicious gleam.














With the addition of a little metal tag, I was almost ready to stop there...















But coming back the next morning, it didn't seem quite done yet, so I reached for the leafy die-cuts.














I'd also been having some fun experimenting with a couple of the new Oxide sprays, just on a pair of tags.















They were sitting there patiently, so that's what I grabbed to go a-cutting with.















It took me a while to "grow" the stems and branches where I wanted them.














And it took the addition of another piece of Idea-ology metal and some more tape strips before I worked out what was going on on the left-hand page below the quote.














But once it was all tucked in for viewing, I liked the whole look of it much more, so I glued it all down in place.







And that's my fun for the month...  I'm also having fun with real life at the moment, which is how come I'm not much of a presence in Craftyblogland just now.  Normal service should be resumed some day soon... fingers crossed.


For now, I thank you for stopping by today - oh, and thank you so much for your birthday wishes and kind words about my watercolour dabblings too - and I'll hope to see you in May.  Happy crafting, all!

Flying might not be all plain sailing, but the fun of it is worth the price.
Amelia Earhart

I'd like to share this at Art Journal Journey where, this month, it's been all about Having Fun
At Try It On Tuesday they are looking for Things With Wings - it seems a little unfair to call her a "thing", but there you go!

35 comments:

Patty O'Malley said...

Fabulous pages, Alison! I love all the textures, colors. The leaves finish the pages off perfectly!

Amanda said...

Lovely pages with the softness of watercolour. I know what you feel like struggling for time myself as work taking over at the moment but I can’t complain as it enables it all in the first place lol
Love
Amanda x

WendyK said...

A fabulous page Alison, I love the colours and yummy textures. Thank you for sharing with us on Art Journal Journey.

Anne (cornucopia) said...

This is stunningly gorgeous artwork. I love this. Great words.

Dorthe said...

Alison, the spread is the adventure of a beautiful girl dreaming she can fly, and all the magic there will be, when soaring up there. So beautiful, love the wings, and also have them,- and your wonderful starry sky over the greenery - love the idea with the HOPE- "pot" .
Good that life is filled with fun for you , enjoy it :-) Hugs, Dorthe

Rosie said...

Wow, Alison your pages are so lovely and gorgeous.

Thank you so much for joining us at TRY IT ON TUESDAY

Christine Kiehl said...

So many wonderful details!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

What a fun and unique spread you created, dear Alison. You certainly waited until the last minute to join us at Art Journal Journey, but I KNOW Wendy is very happy you chose to link to her theme.

I was impressed by the beauty of this entry and how balanced it looked in the end. GREAT composition. I love it all.

I knew I recognized the paper doll, and it isn't exactly fair to you that she is holding an American flag. I LOVE that you gave her wings. She is certainly ready to fly.

The stars are incredible, with their crackle, but the greenery you tucked behind the doll and on the left page really made the doll pop!

Thanks again for joining us this month at Art Journal Journey.

sally said...

Nice to see that you are still having fun!

Sally xx

Valerie-Jael said...

Your journal pages are wonderful, so many beautiful details, just perfect. Hugs, Valerie

Lenie said...

Wonderful page Alison! I love your book.
Lenie x

froebelsternchen said...

This is simply AMAZING - This is art that comes from heaven my friend! I simply love your wonderful style and this spread sings from HEAVEN!!! Thank you for sharing it with us at Art Journal Journey and also for joining us at TRY IT ON TUESDAY dear Alison!

Lots of love from
Susi

Meggymay said...

A stunning spread and you can tell you had fun, using your favourite colours and creating the page in your unique style.
I hope she gets to try her wings and fly.
Thank you for linking these beautiful pages with us at Try it on Tuesdays.
Yvonne xx

Redanne said...

Alison, this is so, so beautiful, the background you created is stunning (I always wondered how to use my pot of ground), the colours are wonderful. The wings look perfect behind the lovely girl, adding the gesso certainly brought them to life, and the sentiment is just perfect! Simply beautiful! Anne xx

My name is Erika. said...

I love your flying lady Alison and also those amazing stars. This is such a super page. Big thanks for sharing it with us at Try It On Tuesday. Hugs-Erika

Brenda Brown said...

Beautiful pages! I adore the gorgeous crackle stars, the way you have used the butterfly wings and the fabulous oxides diecut into those wonderful green stems. Utterly delightful journaling my friend xxx

Caty said...

Woooww How Gorgeous is your spread page Alison!! I really love it, the background is amazing with these wonderful stars with the crackle. Love the colours and all the so beautiful details.
Thank you very much for joining us at Try it on Tuesday.
I wish you a very nice day,
Big hugs, Caty

Marci said...

Such pretty pages!

hazel said...

A stunning journal spread Alison.
xxx Hazel.

suzyb said...

Love these pages! Your work has always made me smile Alison always. Your colour choice, subject matter, textures and words, all just perfect.
I am a big fan and always will be! Hugs from Victoria, BC

Sue said...

This is so beautiful Alison, you've got loads of my favourite things in there too. I hope you continue to have lots of fun, and a very happy May, Sue xx

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

You bring such life and fun to mixed media with this layout! LOVE the blues and texture in the background, and the girl with wings is perfection!

Cocofolies said...

What a beautiful new journal spread!!! Gorgeous!
And of course, I love the quote and words by Flaubert :)
Have a lovely day Alison, hugs xxx

pearshapedcrafting said...

I'm so pleased you joined us at Try It On Tuesday as I have been meaning to pop by for ages - I could stop going away so much of course!!! This is a truly wonderful spread Alison and I love the twinkling crackly stars and the way your greenery has come in to complete this page! It's good come back to a page and see just what is needed! I will now continue with a little trip backwards! Hugs, Chrisx

Margaret Mifsud said...

Wonderful journal spread Alison! Love the starry skies and the colours and textures, as always, are amazing! hugs xx

Let's Art Journal said...

Wow, what a beautiful sentiment, it fills me with hope! I love the pages you have created with the blue, green and cream colours and those adorable wings 😀. I hope you are e having a lovely week, happy Friday and weekend! J 😊 x

Let's Art Journal said...

... Thanks so much for joining in the fun at Try it on Tuesday too! J x

craftytrog said...

A glorious spread and a lovely quote Alison xx

Roosterhead Designs said...

Hello Alison~ Loving the background watercolor here! With the spritz & sprays. Great stamping behind your angel-girl too. Love all the textures and 'chips;' This is amazing! The tissue tape platform is something I now look for ; ) I think it's brilliant~ Great texture with all the crackly' stars too. Love the pop of green. Have a wonderful weekend Alison. Your work truly inspires me! Hugs, karen o

Craftyfield said...

Having fun... I do hope I get to join but I'm not holding my breath! Glad you did though, your page is lovely, Alison!

Gio said...

So lovely spread! You made it, and with such beauty. LOve especially the starry sky, it really catches my eyes.

Joan said...

Simply beautiful pages, lovely colours and textures


Thanks for joining us at Try It On Tuesday Challenge

Joan

Mrs.B said...

I'm way behind on visiting for this challenge- but better late than never. A fabulous journal spread, the starry textured background looks wonderful,
Thanks for sharing this at Try it on
Tuesday, Avril xx

sarascloset said...

Well, this is really something, Alison! I'm mesmerized by your use of blue on this gorgeous page spread. And the Gothic architecture stamp seems perfectly at home in the background. Love the wonderful textures and your quote. A wonderful pair of pages!

Lace Age Girl said...

What gorgeous textures you've put together, it makes me want to have fun creating too. It makes me happy just looking at all your magical work here, Alison.