I'm travelling into a new way of working, a new country, a new language, and a new hobby which I'm passionate about. Come with me for some of the journey...

Friday 4 October 2019

Insect Instructions









Hello all!  We're starting a new challenge over at A Vintage Journey, and the lovely Annie is asking us all to spread our Inky Wings.

You can find all the details and instructions for the theme over at A Vintage Journey along with the usual incredible inspiration from my fellow Creative Guides.

Basically, as long as you have some ink and some wings involved, you'll be flying!  Before you hop over there to take a look, let me share my quartet of insect ATCs.











They're slightly bossy insects (embossed and bossy, how's that for word play?!), full of instructions for how to live your best life.














And after the unexpected fun I had with my excursion into the coral pink zone (do check out my Blushing Coral Butterflies if you missed them) we are back in my happy colour palette of blues and browns.













It all started very simply with a few spritzes of Distress Spray and Distress Oxide Spray onto an A4 piece of cheap watercolour paper.















Out of that I cut six ATCs, trying to choose areas which had some variety of colour as well as some white space.  Four of those made the final cut for this quartet, and I have two left for another day.












I was pretty sure from the moment I heard Annie's theme title that I would be getting out Tim Holtz's Entomology stamp set.















After this quartet, I think there are only two left that I haven't used at some point.  (I can't quite bear to ink up the mosquito-type one, such is my long-standing enmity with the species!)














They are, as you can see, embossed with Vanilla White Wow embossing powder, for that lovely light-catching dimension.













As always, when embossing an intricate stamp, I used Archival rather than sticky embossing ink - I think you get a more detailed result that way.














I chose some buttons from my hoarded stash and hand-stitched them to the ATCs, layered over some scraps of handmade paper (not handmade by me, I should say).














Long time followers will know that sewing is one of my least favourite things to do.  Sewing machines break when I sit down at them, and I used to put my skirt hem up with double-sided sellotape at school!













But I was prepared to make an exception in this case, and had great fun looping some extra wild thread around the buttons to add movement.














I did mention that these embossed insects are a little bit bossy.  You've already been told to Be brave with your life, and here are some more instructions.














I chose Small Talk stickers that all have suggestions (commands?) for us on how to live a good life.














They're edged with Pumice Stone ink and layered over torn strips of Design Tape.
















You may have spotted in the background that there are some glistening cobwebs...















... subtly hovering there to capture the winged insects if they fly in the wrong direction!













I doodled some frames around the edges, using grey ink and white with my dip pen.















And some ivory sequins capture extra flashes of light as you move the ATCs around.














There was a bit of text stamping early on in the process, but it's mostly disappeared.  However, there's lots of splatter to keep things lively.
















So that's my set of Inky Wings ATCs for you.  They make me very happy.  I hope you like them too, however you feel about insects in real life!








If you're after some more inspiration, do hop over to A Vintage Journey and take a look at what the other Creative Guides have been making.  We hope you'll be inspired to spread your own Inky Wings and join us on the journey this month.



Thanks so much for stopping by.  I hope to be round to repay some more visits over the next few days.  Have a great weekend, everyone!

Nature will bear the closest inspection. She invites us to lay our eye level with her smallest leaf, and take an insect view of its plain.
Henry David Thoreau

Your dreams are what define your individuality. They have the power to give you wings and make you fly high.
P.V. Sindhu

I've just got time to squeeze this in to the Alles Geht (Anything Goes) theme over at ATCs mit Herz (ATCs with Heart)
At Crafty Cardmakers they're inviting us to Add a Critter... mine have six legs and wings into the bargain
Try It On Tuesday are looking for some Animal Magic - well, if insects are animals, then these should fit in well
More Mixed Media Challenge are playing Anything Goes with an Optional Twist of Brown - done!
At the Creative Artiste Mixed Media Challenge it's another month of Anything Mixed Media Goes

49 comments:

My name is Erika. said...

I like the textures created with the threads and "fuzz". And those sneaky little spider webs in the background. Nice additions. These are great buggy ATC's Alison. I like how the bugs are done in white, like ghosts disappearing as the seasons change. Happy Friday. Hugs-Erika

Christine Alexander said...

Alison I'm with you on the blue and brown, I love that colour combo :). great layout for all your bugs, the fuzzy felt reminds me of little cocoons.

Helen said...

Back to your fave colour combo! beautiful atcs and I love your wings!

Valerie-Jael said...

Fantastic set of ATCs - love the wintry colours, so pretty. You chose a great selection of wings here, it's a great theme that Annie chose. Have a wonderful weekend, hugs, Valerie

Barbara said...

I adore your style Alison! These ATCs are amazing, love the palette, one of my favorite, and the fabulous design! barbara

Annie said...

You have incorporated so many details and tips on to these fabulous ATC’s Alison x A wonderful background with lots to view and the bossy insects words are inspiring too x Love them all xx
Have a great weekend
Annie xx

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I was totally blown away, Alison. Those winged creatures are amazing. I didn't realize you could use archival ink instead of the sticky ink. I must get some of that, since I often want to emboss now that I have the embossing bug (no relation to your bugs of course). Four precious and incredible beauties. Great ATCs to be proud of in colors I also adore.

Rosie said...

These ATCs are gorgeous, Alison

Thank you for joining us at TRY IT ON TUESDAY

Cath Wilson said...

Lovely ATCs, Alison. Love those shades together, but can't honestly say I feel anything but horror at the sight of insects! They're all 'creatures' in my estimation - totally separate from larger animals, who don't get that derogatory term (in my personalised vocab)! I do love moths, though :-) That's a lovely shade of blue and the delicate little details are, as usual, perfect touches. Thank you for playing with us at Try it on Tuesday.
Cath x

hazel said...

Wonderful ATCs Alison. I love the colour combo and great textures.
xxx Hazel.

toni said...

A beautiful quartet of ATC's Alison! the backgrounds are lovely and the stamping and embossing in white gives a wonderful ethereal quality. The contrasting ways you and I have used these stamps just shows how versatile the Entomology set is! Toni x

froebelsternchen said...

So so much eyecandy and detail on these cards---- fascinating Alison! I am in awe of this card set.... makes me dream of heaven! Great to see this linked to TioT! Thank you so much for joining us once again with your unique art!

So much appreciated!!

Susi
Happy weekend!

Let's Art Journal said...

I love your bossy insects ...lol 😉. The colours your used are my favourite and the white embossing looks beautiful with the textures of the sprays, threads and buttons - perfect! Thanks for the inspiration and wishing you a wonderful October! Happy Friday and weekend! Hugs, Jo x

Patty O'Malley said...

These are beautiful, Alison! I actually gave a little gasp when I first saw them! So pretty!

Meggymay said...

A fabulous set of insect ATC's , the white embossing makes them look so mobile,
I'm not sure i would let them get to bossy if they lived near to me.
Yvonne xx

Fonda said...

I love these! You've got great style!

Dorthe said...

Such beautiful tags, I really love the embossed insects on that blue and brown background, Alison, and the sweetness of the paper piece under the button . Sequins and splashes creates so much interest and life , as does the web ,too - Gorgeous, dear. Hugs Dorthe

S@ndy Diller said...

Love your ATC's. You blended the colors so perfectly and they fade into each other like magic. Once again, you met the challenge with flying colors. Hugs, S@ndy

Chrissy said...

I love your ATC's Alison and Il oe that colour palette of the blues and browns too..I do not get on with insects in real life but they are fabulous here, all embossed and shiney.and I love the fuzzy paper under your beautifully sewn on buttons..looks like fur.

Luv CHRISSYxx

Sue said...

What fabulous ATC's Alison, who would have thought that you could make insects look so good! Well done with the sewing too, you wild threads are perfect. Have a very happy weekend, Sue xx

craftytrog said...

A fantastic set of ATCs Alison! X

Deb said...

Delightful winged ATC's Alison, love your colour palette (as always!) and the delicate embossing of the Entomology stamps. The threads and sequins add the perfect amount of movement and sparkle, thanks so much for sharing them! Deb xo

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Oh wow! I am so loving these and must pop over to look at the challenge. Happy creative weekend, Angela xXx

Cestina said...

I feel you are channelling Lady Hale....

Go on, give the komár a go! Komáři často sedi na svich postelich a plačou otherwise...
xxx

Powdered Toast Man said...

Awesomesauce.

Anke said...

Liebe Alison,

ich bin ganz begeistert von Deinen traumhaft schönen ATCs, ganz wunderbare Werke in zauberhaften Farben und es gibt so viele zu entdecken. Eine großartige Arbeit !

Herzliche Grüße
von Anke

Amanda said...

What a fabulous collection of ATC’s the addition of all the fibres a great touch
Love
Ananda x

Redanne said...

Gorgeous inky backgrounds, beautiful embossed insects and lots of touchy feely additions, I love them Alison! Anne xx

Neet said...

These atc's are so beautiful, and in those two colours i like so much together. I would have to use them as toppers on cards - they are too pretty to hide away in an atc collection. Or maybe mounted on a board as a picture.
I love all the little things you do - we can learn so much from all you do. Thinking of the handmade paper scraps underneath the buttons here in particular. Something I would never have thought of doing.
Thankyou for sharing more of your beautiful work.
Hugs Neet xx

pearshapedcrafting said...

Wow! These are wonderful ATCs and well done for using the threads and the sewing! Thank you once again for a fabulous entry at Try It On Tuesday! I have at last had a catch up!! A very long catch up! We were involved with the care of our friend before he became ill and at his funeral his wife asked us if we would include her in our outings where possible so we have had a few of those too recently! I think I need to plan some computer time into my days whatever we are doing!! Hugs, Chrisx

Margaret Mifsud said...

Wow! Cannot find the words to describe how much I love these Alison! The backgrounds are stunning (love, love, love that colour combo) and the embossed insects are gorgeous! Never thought I would say that about creepy crawlies .. LOL!! Loving the delicate webs and well done with the sewing! Stunning makes!! hugs xx

Anneke said...

Thank you for your tutorial! I love the color combination of the blue and brown.
I love your background too! Beautiful ATCs!

Anneke said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mrs.B said...

A wonderful set of ATCs Alison, backgrounds look fabulous, I always love your signature colour combo. The white embossing makes them look as if they are just hovering off the page. Great quotes and details.
Thanks for sharing these over at TioT
Avril xx

Beulah Bee said...

Fabulous collection--such a great way to use this stamp set. I've always struggled with white embossing (and to be honest, all embossing) and didn't realize you could use archival ink. I'm anxious to try this. The colors you chose are so perfect for a vintage/shabby vibe. I'm loving these!!

Craftyfield said...

Superb set of ATC's Alison. I love the look of the D.O sprays, as it happens I have decided to try them out... The faint stamping of the spider web adds interest in a subtle way and blues and brown is a great combination!

Lys said...

So many gorgeous details in your ATCs, Alison. I love the cobwebs in the background, and the choice of white powder for the insects. As usual the blues are fabulous.

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

One of my favourite ways to create ATC backgrounds, gives such variety when we cut up and spin around. Don't those winged things look magnificent in white as if they just crawl out from the ink.. Love those button additions. Hope I get chance to play this month. Sending Hugs Tracey xx

ann barnes said...

These are so beautiful, the backgrounds took my breath away. I love the way the added elements both insects and words add another level of sophistication.

Conny said...

Wow, they are really great! Wonderful art work!
Thanks for joining us at ATC`s mit Herz!

Hugs,
Conny

Let's Art Journal said...

Your beautiful insect ATCs are perfect for our Animal Magic theme too! Thanks so much for joining in the fun at Try it on Tuesday 😀. I hope you are having a lovely week! Hugs, Jo x

Astrid Maclean said...

Sorry to be late Alison, both my mind and body are in a different world just now...
Annyway, this is a fabulous set, love the white stamping against those fabulous backgrounds!

Mac Mable said...

Stunning ATC's and the colour combination with the sprays look fabulous. Love those bossy insects and thank you for the tip about stamping in archival to get a more detail when heat embossing. You and me both with my thoughts on mosquito's too....x

Andree said...

What a beautiful little quartet. Lovely colour blends and shimmery highlights. Fabulous details and points of interest.
Thank you for joining in with our October challenge "Anything Mixed Media Goes" at Creative Artiste Mixed Media. Good luck x

sarascloset said...

Ok, now this is my favorite of yours! I do love the brown/blue combo, and the pop of the white embossing you've done on the bugs. I've not given these stamps/dies much attention, because they remind me of time I don't have to spend making them pretty with color. But you have inspired me by the simplicity of using a single color/non color--just how beautiful they look there struggling to keep out of the glistening webs! All of your details are lovely on this set of artsy ATC's!

Cocofolies said...

Four beautiful ATCs! I love these insects... they are beautiful, especially embossed in white against your backgrounds, they look great xx

Julia Aston said...

What gorgeous backgrounds in your signature colors Alison! The white embossed winged insects look beautiful against the colors - love the addition of the threads, fibers and doodling! xx

Ann Chuang Crafts said...

I adore these insect ATCs, Alison! I love the embossed in white against your backgrounds, so beautiful. Great colors and lots of nice texture!
Hugs, Ann.

Jackie PNeal said...

Sweet Alison!!
I am giggling here saying to myself, Alison has the most beautiful inky wings I ever saw! LOL
Your atc's are outstanding and so inspiring!
I did get your email, sorry I have not responded sooner, but will shortly.
Weird changes at my blog,which is again up, try this link:
https://creatingwithoutcrayons-jackiepneal.blogspot.com/
Jackie xoxo