I'm travelling into a new way of working, a new country, a new language, and a new hobby which I'm passionate about. Come with me for some of the journey...

Monday 5 January 2015

The Depths of Winter

Hello all!  Isn't it grim and grey and horrible?!  Appropriately, I've got some more wintry journalling for you today.  It's number three in the sequence (see Winter Growth and Winter Recovery if you've missed the earlier ones - it's definitely a series), and maybe my favourite so far...  We're picture-heavy today, but not too many words alongside!!


When the weather is this gloomy in the early days of January, with so long still to go before spring, this is when you really have to dig deep not to let it grip you.







It's fine to feel blue occasionally I think - if this grey dingy dampness didn't affect your spirits, I think there would be something very strange about you - but I, for one, can't afford to let it seep too deeply into my insides.













I need to pay attention to the demands of my body for rest, for kindness, for a little indulgence every now and then.











So yes, I can dig deeper into my safe hibernation mode, but I need to fill that hibernation with warmth and pleasures, and not feel I'm buried in the cold earth.











The heat of the underground colours here really excites me, as does the crackled texture - sharply articulating the reflections of the light off its shiny surface.







(There's a Gerard Manley Hopkins line rising to my tongue as I type - all about the shine of a newly-turned furrow of earth - I'll include it as today's quote!)




The sky, just tinged with rays of winter sun, is another part of this which gives me great pleasure.






It was completely accidental - the colours from the earth seeping up into the paper above...

(You can see the earlier stages here - crackle and paintwork in place below the earth; starting to shape up the paper collage; and playing with the paper bubbles - a more defined version of the ink-lid stamping which has formed the bubbles so far.  The bubbles are becoming more substantial!)













... but I embraced the accidental seepage, and loved how it became the sky at dawn - or is it dusk?  Your call...













The tree branches are stamped with a new purchase, though I've separated the stamping of the two halves of the original image to fit my wider landscape.











And I added some extra pen work to extend the grasses a little on each side.












The bubbles journey from under the earth...














... carrying the fermenting ideas generated in hibernation out into the world.



Again I've used a tiny tag, wired up with rusty wire, to carry the words which fuelled the page.

And I couldn't resist including some of my other favourite texture on this page - this is the reverse of a coffee cup holder... I love the fine corrugation.











There's even some of my favourite Artistic Stamper script stamp in amongst the crackles.














And within the layered papers.











So yet another wintry page for you...  I think they're changing as we go, so I hope you're still enjoying the journey.  I am!

Thanks so much for dropping in today, and I'll see you again soon - either here or elsewhere in Craftyblogland.

No wonder of it: shéer plód makes plough down sillion
Shine, and blue-bleak embers, ah my dear,  Fall, gall themselves, and gash gold-vermillion.

The last three lines of probably my favourite Gerard Manley Hopkins poem (which I think I've probably quoted in full elsewhere), The Windhover
With lots of old favourites - book pages, corrugated card, crackle - and playing with the Golden paints which are new to me, as well as my first Penny Black stamp for the trees and grasses, I'd like to play along in Make New Friends But Keep The Old at the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge

56 comments:

Helen said...

Wow!! Another glorious wintry page! I love this one, I think it could be my favourite too... your accidental seepage definitely has the feeling of spring creeping closer. Let's hope it's not too long a winter!

Ink Art Designs said...

Amazing!!! I love how this one has come together and looks natural...everything just fits perfectly! Great job.
Dot x

Valerie-Jael said...

a WONDERFUL PAGE; LOVE THE SUBTLE COLOURS; AND ALL OF THE TEXTURED ELEMENTS! Sorry, caps lock was on! Hugs, Valerie

chrissie said...

Another amazing composition Alison with the wonderful textures and shapes to represent your feelings. Must try that-hope it isn't too difficult.

Love Chrissie x

Nan G said...

A beautiful dusky winter morn. Love your series, Alison. This is my fave so far too.

brenda said...

A post packed full of inspiration Alison, wonderful work.

B x

Kirsten said...

I am in awe of these pages. This is so beautiful. The crackled surface looks amazing.

Deborah said...

Such wonderful texture and layering, Alison. Your Winter landscape looks wonderful (and far more inviting that the real thing outside my window).

Nikki Acton said...

In haste, just looked not read yet... But wow. That is what I call art! Amazing depth created with your tones, textures and layers. Very expressive. Nikki x

froebelsternchen said...

FANTASTIC Alison! Wow!

Ana K. said...

Oooo Alison...so beautiful! Fantastic combinations of colors and layers...crackled texture...love it! Thanks for showing this beauty.
BTW: I packed some sunny Slovenian weather and will be send today, directly to you! Hugs

cathylynn said...

Alison this is phenomenal! I love it all and it touches my heart. You put so much detail into this with fabulous results. You nailed this!
Hugs, Cathy-Lynn

Jackie PN said...

Alison, I truly love this series- these should be on canvas and hanging on my wall!! heehee The Dig Deep phrase is perfect and again the colors and textures of this page, warm me so as did your other two- I truly love these!!! xo

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

This must look awesome with the other page! Gorgeous texture and cold winter feeling for sure! LOVE it!

Marci said...

A beautiful page, love how you used that stamp, divided.

Dorthe said...

Oh I so enjoy your journey dear Alison, your texture is amazing all over, and the colour tones ,wonderful- looks like you used Treasure gold, in some places, and it is glowing so warm and rich .
Here we had a wonderful sunshine today, -beautiful when shining on the frosted leaves !!
Hugs, Dorthe

Sandy said...

Beautifully designed and crafted. I love winter, autumn and spring! I do not like summer.
Sandy xx

craftytrog said...

Ooh! Where to start! Love the crackle, colours, 'bubbles', everything! xxx

Inky and Quirky Designs said...

Wondrous texture Alison,reflects the stark beauty of winter perfectly :)

Big hugs
Donna xxx

Shirley said...

HAPPY NEW YEAR sweetie pie x x x x

You never fail to surprise me with your makes Alison. Another truly mesmerising piece with so many nooks and crannies to explore. I can recommend that if anyone needs cheering up then they should hop over here and have a read for a bit.

Warm crafty hugs from Shirl x x x
ShirlsCards.

Unknown said...

Such a wonderful page Alison, the textures look divine, loving the crackle, and yes, you should allow yourself a little indulgence. You definitely deserve it with all the inspiration you keep giving us xx

sally said...

My favourite! It's just speaking volumes to me :-)

Sally

Chrissy said...

Sooo beautiful Alison..love the textures and colours and can feel the chill of your gorgeous early morning scene..fabulous project.

luv CHRISSYxx

Ruth said...

Yes, a tremendous trio! The bubbles are wonderful, beautifully shaded and I love the crackle.....reminds me of your recent pins and fabulously executed. I think it's dawn and would like to go for a walk there! Stunning work Alison, thanks for the inspiration. Ruth x

massofhair said...

I love the icy crackly warmth, i would like to sit there and watch the sun rise with a lovely steamy milky coffee and a warm chocolate pastry... I think this has to be one of my favourite ever pieces of your ArT Alison, makes me feel alive:-) xxx

Lys said...

It seems we are under the same sky...but I didn't see how the earth could be so warm and full of life: I love these bubbles ! And the crackles ! And the layers of papers! Wonderful!

Clare Lloyd said...

Gorgeous layers.

Terry said...

Alison, this is total artsy fabulousness. I love the layers and your color choices! Not to be mean, but it is cool and sunny here. Hope you are having a wonderful New Year! Hugs!

Alie Hoogenboezem-de Vries said...

The pictures are gorgeous, your creations is impressive...but besides that your story was impressive...I could feel your deep digging.......Thanks so much for sharing Alison!
Alie

Cocofolies said...

This is totally fabulous Alison... LOVE the texture, the depth of layers and earth, your stamped text and these fantastic bubbles!!! Well, I was full of sadness to be obliged to desert a bit some of my favourite blogs, among them yours, during my holidays - and because of all the Greetings cards I have to do (still not finished unfortunately..) - but finally I'm very lucky, I'm going to admire the whole series at the same time! :D xxx

Meggymay said...

Totally awesome. love the textures, but as you gaze and take in all fantastic details, the page takes on a whole new aspect for the imagination.
Yvonne xx

Julie Lee said...

I really love this page! The textures and the colours are fabulous. It reminds me of Max Ernst's collage style a little. It is intriguing and so rewarding to pore over, taking in all the detail. xx

Hettie said...

Beautiful Alison. Just beautiful. So touchy feely and fabulous.
Hugs
xx

experiments in paper said...

Wonderful series! Love all the texture and shadings. Thank you for the introduction to Smalt Hue. I love not only the name but also the wonderful color and shades it makes. And last but certainly not least, I love your literary bent as well - always inspirational along with your visuals. Learning a lot from you!

Mona Pendleton said...

Beautiful art journal page Alison! I love your attention to detail! The crackled texture adds such an amazing effect! Thanks for joining along with the Simon Says Stamp Monday challenge!

Silvia(Barnie) said...

GORGEOUS, I love every detail.

Julia Aston said...

what a wonderful description of your reasons for the colors, textures and design Alison - a wonderful winter page and poetry inspiration!

Kay Wallace said...

Your photography skills are a wonderful parallel to your artful ones, Alison! I love all the detail shots as companions to your artwork. My color palette today! Warmed me on a very cold day!

Redanne said...

I am really enjoying your journal pages Alison, I think this one is my favourite too. The texture you created is wonderful and I love your colour choices too. Anne xx

pearshapedcrafting said...

Oh Yes! Definitely my favourite! The textures here and your hazy sun are the perfect Winters day, with a promise of more daylight hours!! Chrisx

mytawnyinspirations said...

Your journalling pages are STUNNING and AWESOME!!!!! I love all of the textures and layering techniques you have used. As always you have given so much to look at and think about. Thank you for your continued inspiration. Have a wonderful creative 2015. Cheers, Di

Evelyn Walter said...

Love all the pages you did, Alison. This one is really a wonderful kick to think about my own hibernation mode ;). Of course I love the colors, textures and the adorable cracks!
xxx Evelyn

Debi said...

Alison, I've been out of the loop for a while- for various reasons- but I see that your work is still a WOW- like maybe more Wow!! Debi xx

Lynne Moncrieff said...

There is something so very beautiful about the crackle effect. In fact, when there are so many elements which conjure a deep feeling within me as I view this page, it is the effect of the crackle and the colours that speaks to me the most. Exquisite.
Wishes
Lynne (continuing to have issues with blogger and my sign on name but I know that you know it is me :)

Mrs.B said...

Another wonderful page. Love the colours and fabulous textures.
Avril xx

Kelly said...

Alison this is stunning! I love the whole style and textures you created. I see gorgeous rich colors seeping out of the small details. I love the circles and it is amazing to see how it transformed. I really love this page!
Hugs Kelly

Meihsia Liu said...

Such a wonderful page, Alison. Love the beautiful textures and colors you created. Gorgeous! :)

Suzanne C said...

What beautiful texture, colors and design! Love how the colors glow and the crackle in the texture. Fabulous new again entry to our Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge, thanks for playing along with us!

Anna-Karin said...

This is so pretty Alison! I love it! Such gorgeous textures, shapes and colours. And what a great idea! Thank you so much for sharing with us at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog!

Lisa Minckler said...

OMG! My heart!!! I FREAKIN LOVE THIS. Took an extra long break away from the computer and now I'm creeping back into the craft room and had to come over to your blog and see the beauty that I've missed. This page has my heart rate up and salivary glands in overdrive. OUTSTANDING! Don't have the time to leave detailed love on all your posts, but hope it suffices to say that today you've inspired me immensely! Big hugs to you Alison. :)

Kasia said...

WOW! What a stunning page, Alison! I am so impressed with your creation! Love!

maria's knutselplezier said...

What a great page, great structure andcolours it really looks real, you really know haw to use all kind of materials, what a great ewperience you have, but of course you also have a lot of talent!!!

Greetings
Maria

Maura said...

Very original! Great page.

Kezzy said...

Wow wow wow this has to be my favourite, the colours are super gorgeous and all that texture, the crackles are perfect and I love the added circles, totally awesome. Happy Art :-) Kezzy xxx

selena said...

magnifique!

Mary Elizabeth said...

Simply stunning. Those hope bubbles in paper ... not only more substantial ... but your hope bubble have *words* on them. That is so very appropriate. I love the fact that your winter earth colors have "heat" to them. Most definitely!! Gorgeous sun-warmed crackles. Definitely dawning of a new day ... a new season ... making good on all that preparation. I am so glad you had time to create this series. I would love to see all three together in a collection. Have they made it to canvas yet? -- ME