I'm travelling into a new way of working, a new country, a new language, and a new hobby which I'm passionate about. Come with me for some of the journey...

Monday 17 June 2019

Pace yourself





Hello all, and thank you for stopping by.  The sun is out for the first time in days so there's a slight lift in the mood here.

I've got a quick journal page for you, created with the current Art Journal Journey theme in mind.  It's called Words To Live By, and Halle the host is specifically looking for us to use "found" words or handwritten ones.  

I don't generally have magazines around, and I haven't had much time lately for trawling through books to find phrases that excite me, but then a Neal's Yard Remedies catalogue popped through the letterbox, packed with lovely words and phrases, and that's what I've used here.

I was playing in my Dina Wakley Media Journal, so the page is about 10 x 7.5 inches in size, and it's the canvas page, so it's got lovely texture going on before you even start.













Paper scraps were my first port of call... leftover pieces lying around the craft table which needed using before I lost patience and started yet another scraps-to-use box!

















Over that I used a palette knife to add a rough coat of gesso, keeping plenty of texture and movement in it.
















Then some strips of washi and design tape (yes, it's another variation on Live the Dream Jennie's fab technique)... 

















... followed by some DecoArt Media Crackle Paint, again scraped on quite roughly.
















Once that had done its thing, I spritzed on some Stormy Sky and Faded Jeans Distress Sprays.
















I love how this looks when it's still drying, but am always a bit sad at how much it fades as it dries.  I could have gone in with another spritzing, but I was ready to move on.















These two Paper Dolls were crying out to be allowed on to the page!
















They've got the customary shadowy tissue tape to give them something to stand on...













... and some simple layered lace and cheesecloth running behind them to give the page some horizontal structure.















I've no idea where the little wire heart came from, but it's been tucked in my bits and bobs box just in front of me on the table for months.  This seemed to be the right moment to put it to use.















And here are some of those words from the Neal's Yard catalogue.













Not only lovely thoughts, but in just the right colour tones too!














I love all the background texture... a gentle page, but it makes me happy.  I hope it does the same for you.

Thanks so much for stopping by today, and I'll see you again soon, either here or elsewhere in Craftyblogland.








Slow down and enjoy life. It's not only the scenery you miss by going to fast - you also miss the sense of where you are going and why.
Eddie Cantor

I'd like to play along with Words To Live By over at Art Journal Journey
I'd also like to join in at Frilly and Funkie where they are looking for Embellishments, Trinkets and Trims - well, having finally got round to using that little heart, and with the lace and cheesecloth trims, this should qualify
At the Creative Artiste Blog they are celebrating their 50th Anything Mixed Media Goes challenge - it would be rude not to join in, don't you think?!

37 comments:

Sue said...

what a gorgeous page, full of such beautiful colours and layers and the tissue tape look wonderful. Have a very happy week, Sue xx

Chrissy said...

FABulous page Alison, loving the textures and the girls are so lovely..great words just wish I could slow the pace a bit..lol..love all the details and colours.

Luv CHRISSYxx

Helen said...

yes, those girls are perfect! Love the beautiful background, with all that yummy texture going on.

Valerie-Jael said...

Fab page Alison, wonderful texture and colours. Enjoy the better weather, it's very hot here. Valerie

Redanne said...

It is a gentle page and a beautiful one too. The blue tones are perfect in the background and I just love the crackle. How lovely to have a canvas page to work on too, the whole page looks beautiful tactile. Anne xx

Anke said...

WOW so beautiful and lovely, Alison.

Fantastic work !

Hugs
Anke

Meggymay said...

A beautiful page Alison with awesome layers and of course colours that we know you love to use.
Yvonne xx

Halle said...

Gorgeous!! Love the negative space. You process photos are great...I love it when people remember to do that since I stink at it. :)
This is a wonderful page perfect for Words to live by on AJJ!

sarascloset said...

What a lovely AJ page, Alison! That pair from the Paper Dolls are my favorite, and I've been keeping them safe for a project that really speaks to me. Your background is filled with incredible texture and I happen to love the soft colors the inks fade into. Just the right amount of embellishment with the trim, lace and heart. A truly beautiful page filled with words we ought to live by. Thanks so much for sharing your wonderful, thoughtful artwork with us at Frilly and Funkie in our Embellishments, Trinkets and Trims challenge! Hugs!

craftytrog said...

A fantastic page Alison! I love those girls, and the fabulous textures!
Alison xx

Dorthe said...

It is gentle, yes, and with so many details in your background, to uhhh and oohhhh over, Alison, so love it and the sweetness of love between two friends, - the message so important too !
Hugs, Dorthe

froebelsternchen said...

Oh yes, I can tell you that this gentle and feminine creation makes me happy too dear Alison, it's awesome! And I am more than happy to see you joining Art Journal Journey again with this wonderful page! Thank you! Big hugs, Susi

My name is Erika. said...

With school out for the summer, these words are m new mantra. Smile. This is a great page Alison. Those ladies are some of my favorites. All together it works perfectly! Hugs-Erika

Annie said...

A fabulous journal page and I adore the background x I laughed when you mentioned starting another paper scraps box as I have a huge box full to the brim too x well done on using the scraps x
TFS and huge hugs Annie x

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I can't believe how you changed the landscape of that background. It was so different at the end, I could barely believe it. Your scraps were covered so flawlessly, I was amazed. It is a great background, but certainly looks nothing like the first photo you took. Love the girls and how you "grounded" them. Your words were fabulous, too. Thanks for sharing them with us at Art Journal Journey using Halle's theme. This is truly a remarkable spread, dear Alison.

Kathy/NorthCarolina said...

You had me at blues....then I became completely mesmerized by the wonderful layers of texture in this art journal spread. Like everything you create, this is so perfectly composed and balanced. I just love it! Thanks so much for sharing with us in the "Embellishments, Trinkets, and Trims" Challenge at Frilly and Funkie!

suzyb said...

Beautiful page Alison. Just enough. The textures and colour and of course the paper dolls just go together. :) Have a great Wednesday.

Diana Taylor said...

A gorgeous page Alison, I love the background textures and colours and the gentle subtlety of it. The figures are perfect and the whole page sings with your beautiful style.

R's Rue said...

Beautiful.
www.rsrue.blogspot.com

experiments in paper said...

Fabulous textures here! Always love your process pictures.... I need to get my journal mojo going, and this post will certainly help! Those gals are perfect for this page as well. Thanks for your visit, knowing time is so precious. Curious to hear more of your own transition as it unfolds.... mine was at times overwhelming simply because I have So Much Stuff, and I tended to go down rabbit holes while unpacking, lol! But all good, as it will be for you. xxx Lynn

Mac Mable said...

It sure made me happy too. The texture and crackle look fabulous and glad you allowed the paper dolls onto the page x. Your attention to detail is always staggering and loving all the elements x

Judy said...

Hi! My first time to visit your site and view your art. I'm fascinated by the enchanting paper dolls, soft lovely colors, your unique texturing process which allows me to feel the texture with my eyes and, wow! I don't remember how I got here, that doesn't matter. The most important thing is that I did...my serendipity! I can't wait to see more.

Suzanne C said...

Alison the step by step to your gorgeous page was so inspiring! Lovely layers of yummy texture with beautiful little embellishments! Thanks for playing along in the Frilly and Funkie Challenge this week!

Craftyfield said...

Gorgeous textures and colours, Alison! There's something about using fabric in Mixed Media isn't there… xx

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

Oh that journal is the perfect substrate for your page...the textures on the pages just add so much to your goods! LOVE the ladies and of course the theme...we all need to heed that! Gorgeous work and page!

Jenny Marples said...

So many delicious layers that give your background lots of texture are complimented beautifully with the choice of trims and that little heart embellishment. And what a great way to utilise a catalogue to compliment the Paper Dolls and give meaning to your finished piece. Thank you for joining us at Frilly and Funkie xx

Etsuko said...

Stunning page and fab constitution tutorial Alison, I love how you have used wire heart. xx

Roosterhead Designs said...

Hello Alison,
Your page does make me happy! : ) I always enjoy the 'finished' project; but your 'process' photo's really help me see your vision,
and I value that so much! [I'm forever asking 'how did they do that?' so thanks for sharing. : ) The cut outs look like sisters; even twins~ And they seem to truly 'love living!' The metal heart adds warmth and I like seeing all your textures~ (& thanks for the reminder about horizontal structure, I often forget about those things) Beautiful work Alison! Wonderful canvas page~ Hugs, karen o

Cocofolies said...

Great page, love your process as usual Alison!
However, I don't see any new stamp from you on this page... I probably misunderstood something :)
Well, I must check your last stamps sets, to discover the one speaking about herbs and widflowers! xx

sarascloset said...

Congratulations on being one of our Top 3 picks at Frilly and Funkie with this gorgeous artwork! Hugs!

Neet said...

Anything and everything you do Alison makes me happy. This is another beautiful page. I love all the texture you have included to build up such a lovely piece of artwork. You always know just how much texture to include you know when to stop before it becomes too much. The perfect foil for those two young ladies, whom I have not seen before. Didn't get the in either of my packets - maybe I need to buy another LOL
Hugs, Neet xx

Let's Art Journal said...

Fabulous page! The collage papers added such lovely texture to your background with those Distress Sprays and the little wire heart is perfect too - beautiful 😀. Happy and creative wishes! Jo x

Andree said...

A wonderful page Alison. Lovely soft colours and gritty looking textures on the canvas substrate. Fabulous layering and details.
Thank you for joining in with our June challenge "Anything Mixed Media Goes" at Creative Artiste Mixed Media. Good luck x

sally said...

Love all the layers! I never seem to have the patience for this!

Sally xx

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Nothing like a nice bit of texture. Beautiful layers and gorgeous detail. Angela xXx

Brenda Brown said...

A fabulous background for the girls photo to be layered on. I love the textures , the beautiful blues and added elements that bring this together perfectly. Xxx

maj. said...

A really gorgeous page!!!!