I'm travelling into a new way of working, a new country, a new language, and a new hobby which I'm passionate about. Come with me for some of the journey...

Monday 28 May 2018

I Say "Why Not?"

Hello all!  I'm delighted to be basking for one final time in the Designer Spotlight at the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge.


It's been such a delight and an honour to create alongside the fantastic Design Team for the month of May, and they've got some cracking inspiration for you this week again.


The new theme we've been playing with is Masculine, and I've been having a wonderful time with plenty of Tim Holtz goodies, my favourite colours, blue + brown, plus lots of different textures and materials.  So without more ado, take a look at the 12 x 12 inverted canvas full of inventions that I'd like to share with you.


I'll confess I get a bit cross when these ingredients are regarded as "masculine".  I love them all, and I'm not a man.  Why am I supposed to be stuck with pink and princesses and unicorns when there's all this beautiful stuff out there?!







It's only about a hundred years since gentle blue was regarded as the colour for little girls, and martial pink and red were for boys.












And let me do woodwork and metalwork over sewing any day.  I'm so bad at sewing that I've been known to put hems up with double-sided sticky tape!

Rant over... let's take a closer look at some of the details.














At the heart of this inverted canvas are the inky tags with Tim's Inventor stamp images on them.














The wrinkle-free distress backgrounds are a combination of Distress Inks and Distress Oxides.












And the stamping is done in Jet Black with clear embossing.  I "lifted" some of the ink inside the bulbs with a water brush, so that they would have a pale glow to them.

(If you look closely, you'll see there's even a silvery touch of Pewter Treasure Gold on the filaments.)










I did the same lifting of colour for the extraordinary goggles on the other tag, but it's less obvious.

I'm really not sure what this extraordinary contraption is good for!














This recycled light bulb pretty much kicked off the whole piece.  I knew I had to pair it with the fabulous vintage bulb stamp.

The light bulb is the realisation of the blueprint on the first tag...











... but I didn't have any antique goggles to go with the second tag.

It seems they haven't quite completed the goggle prototype... they've only got as far as experimenting with the lenses.










Here are our two inventors and engineers, father and son...

The frame supports the son, but the father needed a little extra help, so there's a used sponge dauber glued behind him to keep him in the foreground.














He founded the company exploring the possibilities and innovations of the new industrial age, and his son has now joined him in the enterprise.












In the far background is some paper from the Idea-ology Dapper Paper Stash, and over that are some panels made with the brilliant new Foundry 3D Texture Fade.













I had a wonderful time creating my faux metal, and the timeworn distressed look of it.















I started with plain white card, and gave it a couple of coats of Brushed Pewter Distress Paint before spritzing it with water and running it through the BigShot the recommended three times for the depth of embossing.













The brush strokes of the paint just add to the texture already in the folder - the amazing pits and dents amidst the layered riveted panels.

To highlight all that amazing texture I painted and knocked back a couple of layers - Ground Espresso Distress Paint first, then Little Black Dress Fresco Acrylic.











And I wanted a blue sheen to echo the blue of the tags, so I also swept on some Blueprint Sketch Distress Ink in places and wiped it back with paper towel, so you end up with just a hint of blue steel.











The final touch, once the panels were stuck in position, was to add tiny touches of Pewter Treasure Gold in a few places.  This gives a wonderful burnished look to those areas, as though they've been rubbed a lot, so that the dirt of ages is worn away to reveal the gleaming metal underneath.












I'm pretty happy with the overall result.   Of course, you have to screw the metal panels down once they're in place, so that was pretty hard work.  (I'm kidding - it's a brad... an Idea-ology Hex Fastener, to be precise!)











Around the edges of the frame, there's some of my much-loved crackle effect.  I used the PaperArtsy Crackle Glaze between layers of Fresco Finish Chalk Acrylic paint.

Over that I used my acetate stamping plate to add inky blotches and spots in blue tones to match the central tags.












And of course there's plenty of brown inking around the edges, and more accents of the Pewter Treasure Gold to create a metallic echo.













There are plenty of Idea-ology metal goodies.  Countdown Brads to number the invention patents...














... cogs and gears, both actual and metaphorical, reflecting the whirring cogs and gears in the brains of the inventors.














All the metalwork has had a touch of Mushroom Alcohol Ink for a slightly more vintage look.















What will they come up with next?  Imaginations at the ready!













And with all the creativity, imagination and invention going on, I couldn't resist adding one of my own quote stamps from PaperArtsy.














This is a George Bernard Shaw quote from my PaperArtsy Eclectica EAB07 plate, Dreaming & Doing.  I love how it captures the eternal cry of the creative mind!








Do hop over to see the amazing Masculine works created by the regular Simon Says Stamp Monday team.  As always, there's a $50 gift voucher on offer, and the chance to have your work highlighted by the team.


At the foot of this post, you'll find links to the products I've used here, so if you're tempted to go shopping, I'm making it very easy for you!


Huge thanks to Lols and the team, and to Simon Says Stamp, for inviting me to create alongside them this month and for the warm welcome.  I've had a wonderful time with the themes, and it's been an honour to be along for the ride.


Thanks so much for stopping by today, and I'll see you again soon, either here or elsewhere in Craftyblogland.

To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk.

I find out what the world needs, then I go ahead and invent it.

Our greatest weakness lies in giving up.  The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.
All quotes from Thomas Alva Edison

I'd like to share my faux metal panels at Stamps and Stencils where the challenge this month is Let's Fake It!
And at Emerald Creek Dares they are looking for Guy Style, so that works out well in terms of timing.

Find these products at Simon Says Stamp:

Tim Holtz Inventor 2 by Stampers Anonymous
Foundry 3D Texture Fade
Idea-ology metal - Gadget Gears, Foundry Adornments, Countdown Brads, Monocle, Philosophy Tags, Hex Fasteners
Idea-ology Paperie - Paper DollsDapper Paper Stash
PaperArtsy Crackle Glaze
PaperArtsy Fresco Finish Acrylic Chalk Paints - French Roast, Chalk, Snowflake, Little Black Dress
Distress Inks - Blueprint Sketch, Salty Ocean, Vintage Photo, Gathered Twigs
Distress Oxides - Vintage Photo, Blueprint Sketch
Distress Paint - Brushed Pewter, Ground Espresso
Archival Ink - Coffee, Jet Black
Alcohol Ink - Mushroom
Ranger Clear Embossing Powder
Inkssentials #8 Manila Tags

43 comments:

simo said...

Oh Alison...this project is Outstanding!!! I am totally with you because I'm in love with gears and rust and this piece of Art just makes me happy! Brava!!! Hugs xxx

Julia said...

Firstly, a thumbs up from me regarding your rant about masculine. I love these industrial (better word) things too, they are beautiful. Beautiful is a good word for your canvas too. I have recently acquired the foundry embossing folder and coincidentally was playing with it yesterday. I love it. This is a fabulous canvas, so much detail and gorgeous things to look at. Great work Alison. X

Helen said...

I love this! I can't sew for my life either; so I know exactly where you're coming from here.

Dorthe said...

A huge canvas , with so many stories told, I love both your written ones, and the ones I make up myself seeing this gorgeous creation .
So stunning with the "metallic" background Alison , and your beautiful tags , filled with beautiful texture. And wow your frame - gorgeous !!
Hugs, Dorthe x

Marci said...

Great project! I always struggle with masculine cards etc,so I admire other people that pull it off so well.

pearshapedcrafting said...

I do so understand this 'masculine/feminine' thing! Industrial museums and science fascinate me although I do have difficulty translating this in my crafting! You though, well, you've nailed it! I love this reverse canvas - fabulous little details and the foundry embossing folder has to go on my list!! Your father and son look as though they are at home here and I wonder what welcome next!! Hugs, Chrisx

pearshapedcrafting said...

Ha! Ha...and I'm wondering what will come next too!! xx

Maura said...

Alison, I love your steampunk work of art! You might know that steampunk is a favorite of mine, and I get your thoughts on the masculine/feminine thing, because what I like often falls in the" M" camp. Great design and texture on your piece, oh yeah! It's been wonderful having you with us again at SSSMC, and I look forward to seeing more of your wonderful creations! hugs, Maura

Macarena said...

This is totally fantastic. There are so many interesting details! Love the vintage colors, the pewter, browns and blues. The bulb rocks! The scene nd the story of a father and son is so cool and make this piece so special and warm. Love the backgrounds of the tags and the 3D panels with faux metal look. Thank you fos being with us this month and sharing your fabulous projects with us! Hugs, Marzena.

Paper Wishes said...

Wow the work you put into the metal panels is amazing the paintwork and blue tinge worked really well. I love your lightbulb moments! Like removing colour and silvering the filaments in the bulb images. All the details, the brads, cogs, your great stamp quotes - it has all come together beautifully. x Amanda

Meihsia Liu said...

This is such a stunning creation, Alison. Love the fantastic rusty embellishments and all the beautiful details on this piece. Great inspiration! It's so great to have you design with us this month at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge. You are such a talented designer and your creations are all amazing. :)

Annie said...

an amazing work of art Alison x Your rant made me smile too x Wonderful details incorporated/shared here and I really love the metal effect and tones...a fabulous make for this challenge

Thank You for sharing
Hugs Annie x

Chrissy said...

FABulous project Alison and the faux metal is brilliant..I love every detail here and love the blue and brown..

luv CHRISSYxx

Redanne said...

I totally agree about 'masculine' Alison, if this piece of art was given to me I would absolutely love it and I am not a man either! A fabulous reverse canvas full of texture and so many interesting elements to look at. Love, love, love this! Anne xx

sally said...

So agree that these should not be confined to the men!

Sally xx

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

Fabulous piece of art Alison, so much time and love has gone into this, each cog and embellishment placed just so, from back ground embossing to those men folk I'd say it was genderless for this day and age.
Loved every inch of this blog, I still shake my head and wear a quizzical smile when I hear Blue for a Boy ~ Pink for a Girl..!?
Hugs for another inspirational creation Tracey xx

rachel said...

Absolutely brilliant Alison - wow so many details. All brought together so seemingly effortlessly in that beautiful colour combo - love it! Off to check out what I've missed. Hugs rachel xx

Amanda said...

Stunning 12” x 12” piece, so much detail, we can have blue for girls nothing wrong with that.
Love
Amanda x

chrissie said...

I love all of these things as well Alison and I am not masculine-well who knows with all the genders there are these days I may be something else?

The piece is remarkable with your fave colours and use of all the elements you enjoy using. It also a reminder of so many of things I had forgotten to use and they are all hidden somewhere. I had even forgotten about 'reverse canvas'.

The Edison quotes I have saved-thank you for always having words as well as pictures.



Love to you and Cestina, Chrissie xx

Astrid Maclean said...

Such a brilliant masculine make Alison, every detail looks superb, - love it!!

craftytrog said...

Fabulous project Alison! I'll take blue and rust over pink unicorns any day!!!
Alison xx

Lorraine A said...

Absolutely stunning work of art Alison!! I totally agree about the masculine/feminine thing, blues are my fave color and I am not a fan of pink at all! I love the background and all of the details that went into this fantastic creation!! This is definitely a showstopper and a brilliant finale to your month with us!!
Thank you so much Alison!! XX you have been a wonderful guest and I hope we get to do this again very soon ;-)

Luv
Lols x x x

Cestina said...

Trains and Dinky Toys for me too every time. Though of course there are always dolls houses...

I just love the Edison quotes. I wanted to attribute the Shaw quote to Leonardo da Vinci. I am sure that is how he thought. xx - and to you Chrissie.

Patty O'Malley said...

Fantastic canvas, Alison! Your details are perfect!

Craftyfield said...

What a gorgeous make Alison! And I find there is a hint of feminine in this Steampunk inspired canvas. I love the colours, the textures (I nearly bought this TH folder but decided on the woodgrain in the end). I'm sure you'll be back in the SSS spotlight before long!
Still waiting for Google to reply on the notification issue but then it was a bank holiday weekend...

Anneke said...

I had a big smile on my face reading your story! And what you have created is a master piece!
So many details, so much to see with so many pictures and again your wonderful explanation about how you made it all.
Thankyou for your wonderful post, very inspiring!

Meggymay said...

Its a fabulous canvas and you are right to say we women would like it just as much as the fellows would do.
I liked your back story and all the great details and additions, it looks awesome Alison.
Yvonne xx

Fliss said...

Absolutely stunning artwork Alison and love the gorgeous blue and brown combination of colours. So much wonderful attention to detail too.
Fliss xx

SueC said...

Stunning project Alison ! The Treasure Gold on the filaments is magical and the colours blend together so perfectly. Thanks for joining us at Stamps and Stencils. Sue C x

Beulah Bee said...

Great technique and design! Love how you lifted the color for the light bulbs. Thanks for all the inspiration this month at Simon, I hope you return soon!

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

A delight for my eyes...love every bit and color and steampunk feel! Excellent!

Emma Williams said...

I totally agree with you about the whole masculine and feminine thing and as someone who really does shy away from pink and fluffy themes because they just aren't me, this project and it's cool blue tones and rusty elements is absolute perfection ~ it's another wonderful piece of art! It's been lovely to have you join us again this month and thank you so much for being a fantastic GD... xx

Barbara said...

I agree with you about masculine/feminine! Your work is fabulous and so inspirational ad always! Barbara

Sue said...

What a fabulous project Alison, and I'm totally with you on the whole boy/girl thing. I don't think I've ever owned anything in pink, while my son happily wears a pink shirt. These new Tim Holtz embossing folders look amazing - I did think that I had all the embossing folders that I needed (or even wanted), but maybe I should try one of these. It never ends does it! xx

Anna-Karin said...

This is so cool Alison! And I totally agree with you when it comes to the masculine symbolism part. Gorgeous details, stamping and the embossed painted paper looks fantastic. I am so glad you were our guest designer this month!

cheiron said...

Alison, love the colors and textures on your project! There are so many wonderful elements. It was a pleasure to have you as our guest designer this month, I have thoroughly enjoyed your work!

Andrea Ockey Parr said...

What a thrill it's been to see your interpretation of our challenge themes! I've enjoyed your projects so much and always find inspiration in your artwork. This piece is so beautiful and rustic at the same time. Thanks again for all you've done to contribute to the challenge blog this past month! Can't wait to see what you'll be up to next!

Kath Stewart said...

Wow Alison, you are going out with a big bang, this project is just stunning, so much beautiful textures, colours and things to feast my eyes on. It's been a real pleasure to have you with us again for the month of May and thank you for sharing all your fabulous project with us, big hugs kath xxx

Sandra said...

What a stunning piece, Alison! I love every detail of it! The crackle effect is amazing, and love the fabulous embellishments like the lightbulb! It was a pleasure to have you as a GD yet again this month! Hugs, Sandra

toni said...

A fabulous project Alison!! I love the 'faux' industrial background and the stamped images and steampunk style embellishments match perfectly to create this masculine style canvas. I love it ! Thanks for joining in with our challenge over at Stamps and Stencils. Toni x

Jackie PN said...

I totally get what you are saying Alison. And somehow, I can not picture you Ever! using princess and Unicorns and bright pinks and purples! heehee
Having said that, this piece is so cool and your elements are great! I do love your layers,each really has set off the next! And that blueish background on the tags- just yummy!
Well done and just as feminine as is masculine as far as I can see! ")
Jackie xo

sarascloset said...

Alison, first off let me apologize for my absence. I'm still trying to figure out what happened to May, and now June is half way over!

Anyway, I'm delighted to finally get over and see the details of this fabulous reverse canvas. I'm so happy to see these stamps in action. I loved the light bulb, but had to pass these up because I never thought I'd use the goggles. You have shown just how wonderfully they pair up--brilliant design! I love the 3D EF background--stunning results that look like real sheet metal! You've inspired me to get mine out and give it some love! Of course, your colors are just magical and I am on board with your color sensibility and tendency to use wood/metal over the sewing machine. Just a wonderful work of art, as always, Alison! Hugs!

Mary Elizabeth said...

Can't ... stop ... laughing! Loved your perfectly sensible observations on gender stereotypes. And yes ... I keep double-sided tape in my sewing drawer. I have fixed hems with it! My grandmother, aunts, and mom were/are all fantastic at sewing. Yeah ... I have stamps for that. You must know that this is really right down my alley. I adore the tags. The ink lifting is awesome. And adding that touch of Blueprint Sketch DI to the Foundry DT panel is genius!! It is those sorts of details that just make such a huge difference. Thank you for the inventor father and son story. This piece brought George Bernard Shaw's quote to life.