I'm travelling into a new way of working, a new country, a new language, and a new hobby which I'm passionate about. Come with me for some of the journey...

Friday 1 November 2019

Sunrise, Sunset







Hello all, and a very happy November to you.  Yes, November - I don't really know how that happened!  Today we're starting a new theme at A Vintage Journey, but I'm still in my autumn crafting zone.

The lovely Deb's challenge to us is to create a Window on your World.

You can see exactly what she means by that over at A Vintage Journey, where you'll find all the challenge details along with lots of fabulous inspiration from my fellow Creative Guides.

I've carved my window out of some recycled packaging, and created two autumnal worlds either side of that window.
















But it's not inside and outside that you'll find when you look through the window, but rather dawn and dusk - sunrise and sunset - and it also takes you from a cottage garden to a wild meadow.

Once again, it's one of those projects which you simply can't capture in one photograph.  There are too many angles and surfaces and details.

Be warned, this is a long post!

You may want to grab yourself a cup of coffee (pumpkin spice for the season, of course) and then sit back and enjoy the journey from dawn to dusk.










On one side of the window, we find ourselves at sunrise outside a little stone cottage, surrounded by a flower bed in its final decaying flourish before winter...


... with tangled strands of twigs and moss amidst the late-flowering blooms.  The colours have that wintry chill of an early morning in late autumn.

But if you peek through the weathered wooden frame of the window, you'll see there's a different kind of place on the other side.  Now we're out in a much wilder meadow, and we've arrived at sunset, with the last golden glow of the sun's rays lighting up the scene as night gathers.



(If this is reminding you of something, you might be thinking of my Autumnal Oxide Journal - no Oxides this time, DIs only.  Also I've done similar constructions with real book covers in the past (A Christmas Story Book and What Do You Wish For? for instance), but I knew this one would get covered up, so there was no point wasting nice vintage hardback book boards.)






I had a wonderful time smooshing Distress Inks for this project.  The same colours are in action both inside and outside, believe it or not.














We're in a world of Faded Jeans, Stormy Sky, Wilted Violet, Seedless Preserves, Rusty Hinge, Vintage Photo and Gathered Twigs both for the flowers and for the vivid landscape outside.















All this started with a humble cardboard envelope, hoarded for exactly this kind of recycling.  I trimmed the edges to create an open wallet like a book cover.














And I cut up a thick cardboard box to make some reinforcing panels, so that my book cover would be able to stand up.












I knew I wanted an autumn landscape to be visible through my window, so I wrinkle-free-distressed a whole piece of A4 card with my inks (but no Seedless Preserves yet), before trimming it to fit my interior panels. 














I also cut my Tim Holtz window die out of some more packaging card (helpfully already white), and used the window to trace the outline to cut the hole from the front of the book cover with a craft knife.













Then I smeared texture sand paste through TH's Bricked Layering Stencil to start "building" my stone wall.  It was at this point that I realised that I was "outside" on both sides of my window. 











Rather than panicking, I decided to make that the heart of the design.

My window isn't a boring division between interior/exterior but between sunrise and sunset, garden and meadow. 

Having already done the landscape smooshing, I did another piece of A4 card with most of the same colours, but this time working with a lot more white space.  This became the basis for my cottage garden flowers, cut with TH's Wildflower Thinlits, sets 1 and 2. 












Behind the cut stems, you can see the bricks have had a coat of Fresco paints in Stone and Taupe, mixed on the wall as I went, and then I used Distress Crayons in Picket Fence and Pumice Stone to highlight some of the texture.











To create some continuity of colour between dawn and dusk, I used Stormy Sky and Faded Jeans with a water brush to deepen the colour of the flower stems...














... as well as adding some Vintage Photo to the brickwork in various ways (some stencilling, some printing and some blending), and eventually using it to edge all the wildflowers too.













Conversely, the dusky exterior got some splashes of Seedless Preserves so that the colours tone in more harmoniously when you peek through the window or open up the cover.














I'm in love with how the flowers turned out.

(Pink and purple, did you say?  No, I don't think I would call them pink and purple precisely... plum, berry, aubergine - autumn fruits, you know.  And orange too?  Well, okay, but it is autumn - or think of it as rust.)
















There's a randomness about them which makes me happy...

















... and plenty of variation and contrast in colour...
















... yet they all work together beautifully.















The bluish stems capture the soft muted tones you get in the very early morning light.
















And there's that slightly worn out, past-their-very-best feel to the colour palette... 
















... with definite rusty hints of autumn.
















I added just a touch of pen work to the daisy heads.













It gives that extra little touch of detail without getting too precise.















And I was so happy when I remembered I had a greyish-brown version of the mossy strands you've seen in action on my recent acorn tags.













It has just the right scraggly look for an end-of-season garden... 














I particularly love the strands clambering up the spine of the book.

It's all those twiggy stems which need clearing away at the end of the season...















... and perhaps disposing of on a nice big bonfire.   Ah, the smell of a bonfire... yes - that's autumn!












As you can see, I couldn't resist distressing my window frame with some good old crackle.

I used the DecoArt chalk paints and crackle glaze to get a really weathered look to the peeling paint - and some inking dirties it up nicely too.














The final touch of inking both to the brickwork and to the woodwork gives it a very realistic appearance I think.








I love the highly coloured flowers against the weathered neutrals of the brick and wood.















As you peer through the window, you see that someone is waiting out there in the meadow...
















The wonderful Thinlits Scarecrow stands on duty out in the field.  















He has a nice firm base of shadowy tissue tape to keep him securely in place.















And he's surrounded by lots of wild and tangled meadow flowers and grasses.  Two of my all-time favourite stamps are in action here... one by Tim Holtz...
















... and one by PaperArtsy.  They're embossed in Wow Primary Bark powder to give them a nice strong silhouette against the busy background.















But of course when you get them at the right angle, the last rays of the setting sun turn them to liquid silver.
















There are a couple of distant tree branches visible against the darkening sky too.















One last crow is still foraging on the ground, and even he is looking skyward...













... ready to take wing with the rest of his murder and head to the rooky wood for the night.














All the die-cuts out here in the meadow are done with Shattered Kraft Core so you can sand back for lovely distressed edges.














Some gentle Vintage Photo inking is all I gave to the backs of the flowers visible through the window... like shadows or dried leaves.















On the spine of the "book" you'll have noticed I added some words.  Well, this is Words and Pictures after all.  These are from my PaperArtsy EAB04 Autumn Edition set.












I stamped them on some of the leftover scraps of inky card used for the flowers, and again the Primary Bark embossing powder has been in action, catching the chilly dawn sunlight beautifully.







I had to leave slight gaps between the panels on the inside so that the book cover can fold and stand easily.


But on the outside, the bricks, moss and flowers go all the way across, creating a beautiful, decaying autumn flower bed.



Okay, I think we're pretty much there!  It's been another project where it was really difficult to capture its essence with photographs.  It's very textural and tactile, so it's lovely to hold in your hands.

And it's so nice opening it and closing it at will, to see that contrast between the chilly morning of the garden at sunrise, and the glowing vividness of the sunset meadow on the other side.


I hope you've enjoyed going through the window to see both dawn and dusk and I really hope you'll be inspired to share a Window On Your World with us this month at A Vintage Journey.

There's plenty more inspiration from my fabulous fellow Creative Guides to start you on your way, and we hope to take a look through your windows somewhere further down the road.  Thanks so much for stopping by today, and happy crafting all!

Stray birds of summer come to my window to sing and fly away.  And yellow leaves of autumn, which have no song, flutter and fall there with a sigh.
Rabindranath Tagore

The Funkie Junkie Boutique Blog are playing a great theme of It Looks Real - I hope my stone walls and peeled paint window frame will fit the bill
I'm guesting there this month with my Glowing Acorns, but I'm hoping that Try It On Tuesday won't mind if I also join in with their lovely Colours of Autumn challenge
At More Mixed Media Challenge there's just time for one more go at the Anything Goes with Optional Orange theme
At the Mix It Up Challenge Blog they are playing Anything Goes with an optional twist of Watercolouring
At the Creative Artiste Challenge Blog they are starting a new month of Anything Mixed Media Goes
I'd also like to join in at the Craft Stamper Take It and Make It challenge for November





It's only the book cover rather than a whole journal, but I'm hoping they'll let me play along this month with some book arts at the Mini Album Makers Challenge

67 comments:

S@ndy Diller said...

Alison, as always - your creation is fabulous. I love every inch of it with the lovely colors and texture. So well done. Hugs, S@ndy

Julia Aston said...

What a happy and creative change of 'plans' when you had the outside on both sides Alison! I would love to be wandering about in your outside garden by the brick walls - and would be equally as happy to look out onto your beautiful evening meadow with the shadowy scarecrow - a beautiful piece of art here! xx

Helen said...

I love everything about this! the design, the texture, the colours. the flowers... Love the contrasts of the two sides - a happy accident indeed.

Valerie-Jael said...

Fantastic piece Alison, absolutely wonderful, love everything about it. Great colours and style, just beautiful. Thanks for joining us again at More Mixed media, too, hugs, Valerie

Anke said...

WOW WOW WOW absolutely stunning, fabulous creation, Alison.

Hugs
Anke

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

The best use of packaging I have ever seen Alison. From concept to design it all makes me extremely happy to see. A beautiful view indeed.
Sending November HUgs Tracey xx
P.S Thank you for sharing over at Mini Album Makers..
P.P.S Will catch up with you very very soon x

Let's Art Journal said...

Wow, what an amazing make! It looks so beautiful inside and out and I love the sunrise and sunset scenes that you have created 😀. The brickwork and worn paint window with the flowers on the front cover and the inside sunset with the silhouettes are both so magical, everytime I look at them there is more creative magic to behold - stunning! I can't believe November is here either, I planned to start my Christmas cards this week and couldn't seem to leave autumn behind just yet either...lol 😉. Happy November! Enjoy your weekend! Hugs, Jo x

Cestina said...

Oh this is simply stunning! Can't wait to see it in the flesh, so to speak...xx

Hazel Agnew said...

Wow Alison, you have captured the essence of nearly over but not quite, blooms in the garden at this time of the year.
What an exquisite creation, borne from something so utilitarian.
What a delight to see such a pretty array of colours too. Loving the random, but just right mix of colours!
So clever! Xx

ann barnes said...

I love the way you’ve created the two settings on this book cover. The flowers along the walls are beautiful with their hints of rust and purples. The inside captures that twilight feeling with its intense color hues. Beautiful

My name is Erika. said...

Gorgeous book Alison. You added so many pretty details. I was surprised to see the inside so autumn. It is perfect for our latest try It On Tuesday challenge. Thanks for joining in. I just love this. Happy November. Hugs-Erika

gibonik said...

Wow! I am in love with your book cover :) Outstanding project!

Cath Wilson said...

Lovely art, lovely details and lovely colours...a great choice of elements to express something so complicated. I love what you've done.
Thanks for playing in Try it on Tuesday's Autumn Colours challenge. Happy November!
Cath x

Cathy F said...

That's my kind of project, using scraps that are hoarded! Beautiful colors and design!

Let's Art Journal said...

Thanks so much for joining in the fun at Try it on Tuesday too 😀. Happy Friday and weekend! Hugs, Jo x

Dorthe said...

Dear Alison , a beautiful cottage garden you haVE created , with the lovely flowers growing up the wonderful textured brick walls, and so creative to create it all from a cardboard box , with the sweet T.H window - and oh my .... looking outside the window seeing the meadow , so beautiful with the . - what a gorgeous make . xoxo

Chrissy said...

This is stunning Alison..the colours and textures, the tendrils and flowers, the bricks and crackle ans the scarcrow with his crow friends is just wonderful..I loved gazing at each and every photo trying to absorb some ideas into my brain..I love your re cycling and have some cardboard folders I could play with..this is all just amazing.

Luv CHRISSYxx

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

This is a brilliant idea and what a great challenge theme too, love it. The texture and the details you've used, it's just perfect. Hope you have a lovely creative weekend and big hugs, Angela xXx

craftytrog said...

Absolutely gorgeous!!! Love all that texture!
Happy November,
Alison xx

Aimeslee Winans said...

{FAINT!} Dear God, Alison. I have no words. Just. Totally. Brilliant. Times 100. xoxoxox

Redanne said...

Alison, I cannot really say enough words of praise for this wonderful creation, it is an absolute delight, from the original concept to the finished piece! The brickwork and crackled window on the outside are incredible and the scarecrow scene on the inside is just wonderful! And then, those smooshed flowers on the outside - wow! I just love everything about this.....

Thank you so much for joining in with us this month at Mini Album Makers, always so lovely to see you there. Anne xx

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

Oh my word and all from an Amazon box! You rock! LOVE the brick texture and color...oh so real looking, and then that scarecrow against the warm sky. What a cool and original make!!!

Andree said...

A fabulously creative piece Alison. So many wonderful textures, elements and gorgeous details to capture the imagination. I especially love the weather worn window frame and rambling vines.
Thank you for joining in with our November challenge "Anything Mixed Media Goes" at Creative Artiste Mixed Media. Good luck x

froebelsternchen said...

A magical make Alison. I adore every inch of both sides of this rare beauty!!!
And your wonderful text to let us know how you made it makes this posting even more into a pleasure.
Tbhank you for sharing this delightful project with Try it on Tuesday again.
Big hugs and happy weekend.
Susi xxx

Ina G said...

Your Mixed Media Talent just blows me away each time I see your creativeness Alison. I so admire and love your work. It takes me ages to just study your e photos to see every amazing elements. Gorgeous colours and great theme.

Sue said...

Wow this is amazing. All that lovely texture and colour in one place - just perfect! Unfortunatlely I'm now singing the song in my head, and I only know those two words lol. Have a very happy and crafty weekend from sunny Spain, Sue xx

Cigale said...

What a great idea. At last something Halloween that is friendly (no skeletons). I love it with the flowers on the outside and the bit spooky on the inside. Always love your ideas.

Amanda said...

The most stunning make from recycled packaging EVER!! What a beautiful glimpse into the changes of nature, outstanding in every way
Love
Amanda x

hazel said...

This is amazing Alison, fabulous textures and the colours are gorgeous.
xxx Hazel.

Craftyfield said...

Fabulous inside and out, Alison! To highlight but a few details that spoke to me, the textured brickwork, the lovely colours on the Wildflowers, the twigs like old climbing vine stems, the crackled paint on the window... truly remarkable! Enjoy your weekend. xx

Patty O'Malley said...

What a fantastic project, Alison! Love it!

Monika Gulyas said...

Amazing alteration of a simple Amazon packaging!!! Beautiful creation, Alison!!! I love your concept and the contrast between dusk and dawn, inside and outside!!! Great job!!! Happy November and big hugs!!!

Margaret said...

Autumn, dawn & dusk, and a book...be still my heart! You have really gone all out for this one! I was reminded of my own flowers as I looked at your garden, not quite dead yet, but past their prime. Your meadow is such a stunning blend of colors and they perfectly capture the evening light. Absolutely gorgeous!!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I'm running SO far behind after being away for three days. Trying to catch up is harder than I anticipated.

I am floored. I was sure this was a book cover until I read how you created it. Very inventive. I have some old useless Reader's Digest book covers, and this gives me the idea for how to treat one. Reader's Digest books with four stories to a book had some great (beautiful) covers at one time. Then they did a cost saving approach and the covers were as worthless as the books that had NO sewn pages, only glued pages that could never be used for altered books. Your lovely assemblage has given me an idea for using one or more of these worthless covers. In essence, you have inspired me to make something similar. I absolutely love yoir sunrise and sunset concepts, and was so happy to see how cleverly you were able to change ideas in mid-stream and create an absolutely fabulous entry.

Cocofolies said...

This is such a amazing project from scratch, using only recycled packaging to start!!! I'm in awe... beautiful scene, at the cover but also inside!! I can't stop looking at all the photos. I love everything on this project, Alison. Fabulous. A real inspiration for me once again!
I think I will try to make something like this following your steps one day for my students - either adults or children - if you don't mind?? Would speak about you of course in that case!
Hugs and Happy Sunday xx

Mac Mable said...

Thank you for sharing your magnificent window to your world. Stunning dawn to dusk project x. Fabulous texture and such beautiful colours. It's hard to believe that the same colours are on the front as in the inside...they are fabulous x. The flowers look stunning and beautiful and love the attention to detail with the moss/string/strands creeping up the walls and on the spine. Fabulous inspiration and the most glorious project.... a real special one x.

Suzanne C said...

Wowzer! What a gorgoues scene inside and out! I love the transition from Summer to Fall in one beautiful binder! Thanks for sharing this too with us in the Funkie Junkie Boutique "It Looks Reall".

Paper Profusion said...

Bravo!!!!! What a superb transformation of that all too familiar looking box!! Now I wont be able to throw any more away just in case I make it back to my craft table one day! I absolutely love all your colours. Rusty hues and yummy berry shades look terrific together! Most of all I love that the same palette is in action on both sides, yet the two scenes are so contrasting. Very cleverly done. Brilliant artistry Alison! Nicola x

Margaret Mifsud said...

Wow! Wow! Wow! This is totally amazing Alison! You have knocked my socks off once again! What a fabulous makeover and what a brilliant concept! I absolutely adore the fading wildflowers and brickwork on the outside and then, peeking through the window, and realising there is another fabulous scene to enjoy on the inside! So awesome! This is a masterpiece! hugs xx

VEANA R. said...

Dear Alison, I don't have words for your AMAZING project ! The idea is great, flowers are magical and colours fantastic !!
Thanks for joining us on Mix It Up Challenge Blog and hope see your art again. Best luck !

Veana R.- DT MIx It Up Challenge Blog

Rike said...

Ohhh, your book covers are fantastic! Great creative process and wonderful inspiring step by step photos! And both started with simple cardboards - it's amazing!
Wish you a happy day! Rike

Rike said...

Oh, it's only one cover - outside and inside - now I see!

Astrid Maclean said...

A fantastic take on the theme Alison, both the out- and the inside look amazing!!

Maggi said...

This is really amazing and so creative! WOW! I love your concept and how you used a "book cover" style to create your masterpiece. Your faux techiques are fabulous. Thanks for joining in the challenge at The Funkie Junkie Boutique.

Cec said...

This is stunning. Love all the texture and the layout on both the inside and outside. Thanks for joining us at The Funkie Junkie Boutique Challenge Blog.
Hugs!
Cec

sarascloset said...

What a sensational and creative project, Alison! How clever to make two sides to the window, and each is as stunning as the other! You are right, this is a long post, and I will be back in the morning with my pumpkin spice to soak in all of your words, but for now, I'm just tickled pink that you shared this with us at The Funkie Junkie Boutique blog in our Is It Real challenge. Yes, those bricks and window fit the bill! But so do the flowers!

Roosterhead Designs said...

Dearest Alison this one is just too cool! [I want to say "I don't know how you do it!" - but that is not true, since you are always so kind to include so much information about all your wonderful processes!] So I better just say; you amazed me with these two little 'worlds'! I am loving the brick wall you've created~
The flower garden with all its gorgeous variations is enchanting. Great bits of 'tangle' (as we sometimes see with Autumn approaching) and all the beautiful colors and textures spelling out the end of the Summer season~
And then that gorgeous sunset scene! Oh my my it is so so lovely~ The hues of 'chill' in the sky and the warm colors of Fall on the ground; it perfectly 'takes me there'! The sharp landscape is marvelously Autumn.
Your heart is clearly poured into this creative amazing art. So much detail; So much love~ Thank you for sharing with us. I just want to rave on and on : ) Hugs and wishes for a good week ahead. karen o

sarascloset said...

As promised, I've come back with my pumpkin spice in my pumpkin mug, and enjoyed a second in depth look and read of your fabulous autumnal post/project! So much better to read how these creative two sides to the day came together--thank you for all your hard work and inspiration! Hugs!

Linda said...

WOW! This looks amazing ..... inside and out. I really love the texture and all your little details ..... stunning! Thank you for playing along with the Craft Stamper Challenge xx

Jennie Atkinson said...

An amazing book and project Alison - full of amazing techniques, designs and ideas for embellishments. I am sorry I am only now getting around to visiting!
Thank you too for joining us at Mini Album Makers for our challenge this month. xxx

Fliss said...

My jaw literally dropped when I spotted this totally stunning creation Alison!!! The most amazing transformation of the packaging and so many details to drool over.
So very glad I made time to pop over and thank you for your support when I've been struggling to get stuff done for a while now.
Fliss xx

Ginny @ Polly's Paper Studio said...

Oh my stars this is just the most beautiful mixed media I have seen! All from a humble cardboard box. You are truly a great artist! Thanks for joining us for our challenge at the Funkie Junkie Boutique Blog. Crafty hugs from Ginny at Polly's Paper Studio : )

Jenny Marples said...

Such an imaginative way of creating the inside and outside of this gorgeous book cover Alison. I love the contrast between the morning sun against the brickwork with those beautiful colourful meadow flowers. And the moody skies of the evening scene are so dramatic in comparison. Thank you for joining us at The Funkie Junkie Boutique Blog xx

pearshapedcrafting said...

There's everything here that an Alison recipe often has and it is so absolutely delicious! The gorgeous colours, the texture, the unique approach to a project, but what you didn't know was that you recreated the window from the cottage I grew up in as a childhood! In the photo before you write of the bonfire ( of which we had many over the years) the plants by and below the window are just like those Autumn flowers that loved to linger, and the creepers that lost their grip and fell away from the wall (with a little bit of help!!) I for one am very happy to see you sharing this at Try It On Tuesday! Hugs, Chrisx

Mrs.B said...

An absolutely fabulous piece Alison, love the two little scenes you created and a fabulous idea doing the sunrise and sunset. As always colours and textures look amazing.
Thanks for sharing over at TioT.
Avril xx

Deb said...

Wow, what an amazing project Alison, adore how you have utilized the window element to give us a glimpse of both the changing view and time of day, absolutely brilliant! Incredible details, textures and colours, thank you so much for sharing your beautiful imaginative creation! Deb xo

Lagene said...

WOWZERS!!! Thi is absolutely AWESOME! I love all the gorgeous details of your inside & outside of your book!

sally said...

I saw this one on Facebook a couple of days ago and was left picking my jaw up off the desk....it’s stunning and then we get the extra pleasure of yet more on the reverse side....I wish I could see it for real!

Sally xx

Diana Taylor said...

Oh what absolute perfection - I want to curl up and live in these beautiful places you've created. I could go on and on but utterly adorable just about sums it up!
Diana xx

Barbara said...

Wow! Everything has already been said about this wonderful project! I can only add that I love it and I think it's really gorgeous, the colors of the flowers are totally fantastic and I love the fact that it's amazing on the outside but also on the inside! You're an incredible artist Alison

Neet said...

Alison, I am in love! With your book cover.
What a fantastic idea and how beautifully you have decorated it. I know it is not really a book cover as such but it looks like one and that was what I thought it was so I was thrilled to see how you had adapted it - then I saw it was packaging - even more amazing and thrilling.
You have the most wonderful imaginative mind that comes up with the most beautiful projects. I am breathless and I hope you can sense how much I liked this project of yours.
Off to drool.
Hugs, Neet xx

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

Morning Alison, I just wanted to pop back over and wish you a HUGE congrats on being Novembers Mini Album Makers Winner. Lovely to see you in the winners seat this month with your incredible work of art. From back to front, inside and out I loved every inch of it.. Hope you are now on the road to recovery?
Now enjoy your prize lovely. Creative hugs Tracey xx

Gio said...

Fantastic!!! Oh the contrast between the outside and inside and the small peek through the window! I love it in every single detail :-)

Marci said...

Stunning!

Mary Elizabeth said...

Wow oh wow oh wow!!! I am so in love with this piece. I can feel fall in the air. What a way to evoke a feeling with both words and pictures! The cottage garden flowers are the perfect colors for last-of-autumn blooms. The pen and ink touches were wonderful. You are amazing at layers with color and texture. I'm still working on that :). When you showed the picture of the outside of the "open book", my eye was immediately drawn to the climbing "moss vines". Such a whimsical touch. Dawn was a beautiful adventure. Then dusk was dark and mysterious. The peak at the scarecrow through the window made me want to climb through to the other side. The crows and the deep colors of the approaching evening gave me the shivers. It reminds me of the late October days right before Halloween. The rusty background for the corn was spot on. I am blown away. This was worth every line of the long post! -- ME

Unknown said...

This is just beautiful, how talented you are! I don't know if I would have the patience to something like this but I think I should try. Thank you for sharing.

Words and Pictures said...

Thank you, and yes, absolutely give it a try. It’s all about the playing and trying and exploring and learning. At leadt it is for me. Have fun!