I'm travelling into a new way of working, a new country, a new language, and a new hobby which I'm passionate about. Come with me for some of the journey...

Sunday 17 November 2019

Got the Grey-Blues

Hello all and sorry for the silence here at Words and Pictures.  I've been in the throes of a foul cold/cough/pharyngitis and generally feeling pretty sorry for myself.  I've not been anywhere near the craft table, but having found a little extra energy today I wanted to post something at least!  So here's a watercolour triptych I painted earlier this year.  They've definitely got something of the grey blue melancholy I've been experiencing this week. 


The paintings are done in a 12 x 16 inch watercolour sketch pad, taped with masking tape to create the three panels.  Each panel is 8 x 4 inches, so you get a nice white framing border. 









No surprise that we're in a meadow again.  I'm still experimenting and playing with capturing these grasses and wildflowers that I love.

















With these three, I tried out the effect of adding some pen and ink work for extra fine detailing.















I like it in contrast to the softer watercolour effects, and how it helps create depth and focus, but I'll continue to work on the balance.
























I'm not going to keep you long today.  To be honest, I'm still feeling pretty groggy but, as I say, I felt horrible about having neglected the blog for so long again.

In any case, I feel these need to be able to speak for themselves.  




























At some point, hopefully quite soon, I'm aiming to make prints of these and some other paintings available for sale, either through Etsy or other means, and one day I might even come to terms with the idea of selling the originals!





























I'm still exploring the best means and method of doing it, but if it's something you think you might be interested in, or if you've any experience with such things and advice, do let me know in the comments.  I'd be happy to hear your thoughts.

















Looking at them now, I think probably you'd want the bluest one in the middle for display purposes.  The other two could go either way round...


I hope everyone is in better health than me, and enjoying a peaceful Sunday.  I hope I'll be up and around and ready for some proper crafting, blogging and visiting soon.  Happy crafting all!

A grey day provides the best light.
Leonardo da Vinci

The colour of truth is grey.
André Gide

I'd like to share this triptych at Paint Party Friday where they are on Week 37 of Year 9
At MOO Mania & More the theme is Peace and Tranquility so I think these will fit right in

39 comments:

froebelsternchen said...

So beautiful Alison! Get well soon I suffered nearly the same for full 10 days. Not nice but we are strong, aren't we ?!

Thank you for supporting Moo Mania & More !

Big hugs, Susi xxx

Meggymay said...

Your beautiful art does speak for itself Alison. I hope you will be feeling better soon.
Yvonne xx

Helen said...

they are beautiful, Alison! would make great stamps! Hope you feel better soon x

Amanda said...

Beautiful little pieces of subtle watercolour art. I’m currently fighting with a shipping order from Boots to keep the dreaded thing from taking hold I think I know which of us will win!! Hope you feel better soon
Love
Amanda x

Shilpa Nagaonkar said...

This is so beautiful Alison!

Christine Alexander said...

Beautiful Alison, I love your triptych in those beautiful colours :)

Valerie-Jael said...

Beautiful pieces, as always. Hope you are soon really fit and well, look after yourself! Hugs,
Valerie

Redanne said...

I am so sorry to hear that are feeling out of sorts, I have not had it myself (yet) but David has been quite poorly with it. I am glad though that you are feeling a wee bit better, I hope you feel fully well soon.

Your triptych is so beautiful, I can see what you mean about melancholy but I think it has a wonderful restful quality to it too with those cool blues.

I cannot offer you any advice about selling but I know Brenda sells and she might be able to give you some ideas.... just a thought. Anne xx

Rain said...

Hi Alison :) Despite how blue and gray you feel, your pieces are vibrant and beautiful!!! Hope you are well soon!!!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

They are all beautiful, Alison, despite the fact you feel so lousy. I realize you made these earlier, but just being on the computer can wear you out.

I'd be interested in learning more about selling my art. Of course, it looks nothing like what I make for AJJ. You have a fabulous way of making things beautiful with color, design, and composition. Needless to say, I love everything you make! Please get better soon.

My name is Erika. said...

I love seeing these again Alison. It looks like late fall with that grey background. Hope you feel better soon. Hugs-Erika

Words and Pictures said...

They're very similar to some I've shared before, Erika - well remembered! But these are a new version, with a little more blue and slightly larger, as well as using the pen and ink work this time. Ax

Margaret Mifsud said...

So sorry you're not feeling well Alison and hope you will be better soon. Your Triptych is stunning!! I love the muted blue/grey colours .. to me they are more peaceful and calming than melancholy and I don't believe you should have any trouble selling these .. anyone would be happy to have them hanging on the wall. Love these so much! hugs xx

suzyb said...

Love these!! Love the colours, love the flora. You are so my style in everything you make! So sorry to hear you are not feeling well, this cold/flu is vicious. Just when you think it's over, it comes back and bites you again. ;) Drink plenty of fluids and stay warm.

Powdered Toast Man said...

I can see some folks wanting to purchase your crafts on Etsy.

Craftyfield said...

Gorgeous panels Alison! Hope you'll feel better soon. x

Astrid Maclean said...

Absolutely BEAUTIFUL Alison, I honestly thought at first sight that they were done with stamps... The penwork does indeed add real depth and I love the idea of the three panels!The white is lovely too, all very inspiring! Glad they are shared now, though personally I don't think you should ever feel bad about not blogging, specially when you're not feeling well! And with that I'll say that I hope you will feel better very soon!! xxx

craftytrog said...

A stunning tryptich Alison! Hope you're feeling much better now. xx

ann barnes said...

Although these panels are subdued, there is so much beauty in your work! I love the added inked details. Hope you recover soon xx

Sue said...

Oh I'm sorry you're feeling so ill Alison, there's nothing more depressing than a cough and a cold. Your watercolour triptych is beautiful and you should definitely have some prints made. Good luck with your Etsy shop and I hope you feel better soon. Take care, Sue xx

Rosie said...

Just beautiful, Alison

Thank you for joining us at MOO MANIA & MORE

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

So sorry you've been sick! Hope you mend fast. These tags are gorgeous, gray gorgeous!

Marci said...

They are lovely, so subtle.

Chrissy said...

Gosh, I love these Alison,love the colours and softness..beautiful..hope you feel better soon..take care.

Luv CHRISSYxx

Loose Stitches said...

Your paintings are gorgeous, love them! Hope you feel better soon.
I am your newest follower. :)
Crafty Hugs, Sherry xx
Loose Stitches and Unraveled Threads

Mac Mable said...

Please tell me these are framed on a wall?....They are beautiful x Get well soon Alison x.

Roosterhead Designs said...

Ooo such beautiful neutral layers of color Alison! And then the grey (one of my very fav) and blue details; gorgeous! I like your freehand here~ So pretty. Hope this comment finds you on the mend Alison! Hugs to you, karen o

JFM said...

All three are stunningly beautiful!

Feel better soon 💮

Monika Gulyas said...

These are marvellous, Alison!!! I love the muted colours too!!! I hope you feel better now!!! xx

Christine said...

Beautiful watercolours, hope you are feeling better.

Let's Art Journal said...

Such beautiful watercolours! They are all so delicately painted and look so elegant - stunning 😁. I hope you are feeling much better soon, sending happy and healing wishes your way! Take care! Hugs, Jo x

carol l mckenna said...

Very elegant and well done ~ Beautiful ~ ^_^

Happy Day to You,
A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

DVArtist said...

These are really pretty. Sorry you are feeling so badly. Sending healing energy to you.

Dorthe said...

Dear Alison such beautiful watercolors , and you dear friend , hopefully you are not so poorly anymore but starting to feel well again . xoxo

sarascloset said...

I'm so happy you shared these, Alison. What gorgeous little pieces of artwork they are! I'm sure prints of these offered will fly off the virtual shelves of your Esty shop. I'm afraid I've got no advice to offer on that process; I'm quite curious about how all that works myself, as I have plenty of inventory! I'm sure you are feeling better by now, judging from your recent visits to my blog. I do appreciate you taking your time to visit! Sending some soft tissues and virtual chicken soup your way!

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

Sorry to read you have not been well Alison, this bug/virus has caught hold of me too and knocked me off my feet for a few days. Trying to get back on them knowing I have others to care for is hard work but i'm here today to say Thank you for your kind words as always and also Thank you for sharing this beautiful trio, their design and shape is so lovely. I'm more than sure people would snap them up if available to purchase. HUgs Tracey xx

Neet said...

"Grey/blue melancholy" is not as I see them - rather as pretty flowers and grasses rising up through the early morning mist. Yes, they would sell as pretty prints and later I can see you selling the actual paintings. Not a clue how you go about it but Good Luck - they are beautiful.
Hugs, Neet xx

Patty O'Malley said...

These paintings are so beautiful, Alison. I'm a bit late in catching up on blogs but I do hope you are feeling well now.

Mary Elizabeth said...

Oh, these are lovely! I can see these selling as prints (I would absolutely hate selling the originals if I painted them). I adore the pen and ink detailing. Wow! Perfect touch. No idea how to sell things on Etsy. Hope you have found out how to do so. It would be an amazing shop. Go for it! -- ME