I'm travelling into a new way of working, a new country, a new language, and a new hobby which I'm passionate about. Come with me for some of the journey...

Thursday 26 March 2020

The air is full of sunlight






Hello all... some things to be happy about today.

It really has been the most gloriously sunny week here in the south-east of England.  It's wonderful as a lift to the mood, but it makes it quite hard to come to terms with what is happening everywhere.

We've been prepping troughs and planting seeds, in the hope that there will be some fresh garden produce to add to the food store in the weeks to come.

The spring weather has made being in the tiny courtyard a pleasure - I'm so thankful we have some outside space of our own - and the busy road we live just by has been that little bit quieter, which is a big improvement... for the worst of all possible reasons, though, of course.















Still, it's the positive mood instilled by the spring sunshine which has made its way onto this tag.  I promised when I shared my Spring Greens journal page that there would be some more springtime creations, didn't I?  And this isn't the last of them by any means.















This started as another mop-up tag (there are always lots of them hanging around on the craft table).  There's some Peeled Paint, Bundled Sage, Tumbled Glass and Stormy Sky involved - inks and/or Oxides of each.













Some time later on I added some more of the blue tones, as most of them had got covered up, but for now I did some stamping with my Field Notes and Entomology stamp sets.











The labels and postmarks are stamped in Watering Can Archival.

And the repeat stampings of the insect were done in Pumice Stone and clear-embossed for that light-capturing magic.













I gathered a few ephemera from the Field Notes pack as well as some homemade versions done with the stamp set (the bird and the flower book page fragments).

Those homemade ones are left over from another project which you'll get to see at about this time next week... (tease!)

(Sorry for the weird lighting on this one - crafting by night, so it's the daylight bulb.)











I did a bit of doodled framing on the ephemera with my dip pen and some white acrylic ink.













And I used the same pen and ink to add similar scribbled frames around the edge of the tag.















My favourite Rubber Dance tendrils are twining their way (in Leaf Green Archival ink - Weed Love is the name of the stamp set) around the background too.














And the delicate wooden Scrapiniec grass stem seemed the perfect choice to layer over the top of all that.  It's had a gentle wash of gesso to make it even more pale and delicate.

(These grasses definitely bring out my palest side... you may remember the Windswept Grasses from a couple of years back.)













One of the Idea-ology acetate butterflies takes pride of place.  I brushed gesso onto the back of her wings to make them more visible against the background.













You still get the glimmer of the acetate from the front.  And that's a little Game Spinner forming the body, as you probably know.











Some words... naturally.  These are from the Clippings stickers.  Somehow the necessary phrases always just seem to leap out.














And yes, despite everything that's happening, the world is still a beautiful place.  I only have to look out of my window at the trees and flowers and listen to the birdsong to be sure of that...







... or watch some of the uplifting videos of shared singing and music from the balconies and streets of Italy, Spain and around the world, or the applause from those same balconies as the hospital staff and health workers come and go on their changes of shift.


The next weeks and months are going to be about finding happiness and calm where we can... and this tag does that for me.  There's a lightness and gentleness about it which bring me joy.






I hope it will do something of the same for you, and that you are finding ways to make the quarantine gentler on your spirit.

Take care and I'll see you again soon, either here or elsewhere in Craftyblogland.

The most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched, they must be felt with the heart.
Helen Keller

This too shall pass.
Persian proverb





I'd like to share this at Tag Tuesday where the springtime theme is Bunnies and Butterflies.  I'm not sure whether you have to have both of them present, but I'm hoping either one or the other will do...
And it's another entry for Anything Goes with an optional twist of Green at the More Mixed Media Challenge - what can I say, I like green!
At the Mix It Up Challenge Blog the theme is Anything Goes with an optional twist of Smooshing - well that's the background in a nutshell, so...
The Sisterhood of Crafters are hosting the perfect challenge theme for this tag - Spring

Springtime happiness bonus extra

Here are a few photos of the plum blossom in the garden today.  Exquisite.  And it's worth clicking on to see them full size, though I do say so myself!  Again, I'm so grateful to have some outside space, even though it's small.















39 comments:

pinky said...

Wow your tag is so elegant and beautiful!! Perfect for our challenge at Tag Tuesday!

Mrs.B said...

A lovely tag Alison, and so full of the promise of Spring with the background colours and stamping. The added Gesso to the underside of the butterfly wings really does make it pop.
Avril xx

Helen said...

What a gorgeous tag, Alison! I love your soft spring shades, and that fantastic butterfly, ready to flit any second!

Valerie-Jael said...

We have had wonderful weather here, too. Your tag is gorgeous, thanks so much for joining us at Tag Tuesday, much appreciated. Enjoy the rest of your week, hugs, Valerie

Valerie-Jael said...

And Thanks for joining us at more mixed media, too!!

WendyK said...

Wonderful Spring green tag, love all the layers. As you say, the last five days have been wonderful and sunny, and I have spent the time weeding and planting a mixed media hedge.(a very long one). Thank you for sharing with us on Tag Tuesday, keep safe, Wendy

Valerie-Jael said...

Love the flowers Alison, I'm always bowled over by the beauty of these spring blossoms, they just make me happy! Hugs, Valerie

Redanne said...

You have captured the essence of a beautiful Spring day in your gorgeous tag - we had butterflies in our garden yesterday and the Magnolia buds are about to burst. The blossoms in your garden are wonderful. Anne xx

Helen said...

you're right, the blossom is gorgeous.. thanks for telling me, would have hated to miss it.

My name is Erika. said...

I like green also. And it is especially true at this time of year. Wow, you have plum blossoms. I am waiting for things to dry out a bit so I can start working in the yard. And I just love that beautiful tag. It just screams spring. Hurrah for spring with this virus. Hope you are staying healthy. Hugs-Erika

Margaret Mifsud said...

What a lovely breath of Spring you have created Alison. Your tag is beautiful. The colours are so serene and calming, and I adore that delicate grass stem stamp .. simply divine. Your photos are beautiful too. You must get a lot of pleasure from your garden. Down here in Aus we are actually in Autumn but we still have lovely sunny days too and hubby and I spent a lovely half hour or so yesterday watching the sparrows taking a bath and a drink from our water feature. It was wonderful and so heartwarming. As you said, this is still a beautiful world despite the dreadful things happening at the moment. We must treasure these moments when we can. Take care and stay safe and well. hugs xx

aussie aNNie said...

Beauty everywhere on your blog and love the blossoms and gorgeous tags. We still have loads of flowers blooming down under in my part of the world. Camelia flowers and a front yard full of azaelia bushes in flower...have a wonderful weekend and stay safe.xx

Craftyfield said...

Your tag speaks of the promise of spring and I love the delicate colours and stamping (yes, I'm a fan of the Rubber Dance wild flowers too!). Such a shame the good weather cames just as we were told to stay indoors! x

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

So many layers, so little time!

Needless to say, but I will anyway, I was so impressed by the way you built up the various layers. The ephemera was gorgeous, and I was totally surprised when you covered most of it with more layers. In the end, it was stunning, but it surprised me how much you added to the tag. That butterfly was the crowning glory, though, even though the bees were a close second.

Fabulous photos of your garden space. Mother nature certainly isn't aware of this lock down. I hope you don't get too depressed, because I feel I'll enjoy it once I'm sure my internet is once again stable.

Cocofolies said...

Thank you for this new other post full of gentleness and beauty! with exquisite photos of your garden in flowers oooh, and your glorious sweet tag that I love!!
I have these tendrils and other stems stamp set by Rubberdance too, you make me wish to use it immediately, to create such Spring tag or page... Just after lunch maybe :)
Thank you Alison! Enjoy the sunny time in UK, we have the same in France, and that helps to support our confinement xxx

Fonda said...

I love this tag!

I also want to tell you that, while I don't comment often, I really enjoy your art and your blog.

craftytrog said...

A beautiful Spring tag Alison! I've seen a few butterflies in our garden this week.
I'm so thankful to have our garden, now that I am confined to the house due to my autoimmune condition. I sat outside with my breakfast yesterday, and even done some gardening. It has been a lovely sunny week, long may it last! We have some seeds to plant when the time is right too :-)
Keep well,
Alison xx

Nan G said...

A delightful tag full of springtime joy! And the blossoms are such a cheerful white against the dark stems. Thank you for sharing and bringing a bit of Spring to us. In my little corner of Florida we have entered pre-summer weather, low 90F! A full month earlier than usual. Take care dear Alison. I so enjoy seeing your posts tho I may not always be able to comment on them. Hugs

Let's Art Journal said...

Stunning springtime tag! It was fun seeing how it all came together and I love the Weed Love Rubber Dance stamp, so pretty 😁. Your layers of ink and ephemera look amazing, it is a joyous creation! We have had lovely sunshiny weather here too, and you captured such beautiful blossoms too, blossoms here will be a few weeks yet which is to be expected as we are in the Northwest of the country 😉. Take care and sending happy wishes your way! Hugs, Jo x

scrappergirl56 said...

Beautiful tag and I did enlarge all the Plum Blossom pics to get a good look at each. We had Plum trees many years ago, before an ice storm one Spring took them out...so sad, so I really enjoyed looking at your blossoms...thank you for that.

experiments in paper said...

Beautiful evocation of spring, Alison....I feel as though I am in your garden as you show us all the details. And those plum blossoms! I was thinking yesterday how grateful I am that this crazy time is occurring now, and not as winter approaches. There is just the tiniest bit of green poking up in the wheat fields surrounding my home, despite the daily snow showers.... always a hopeful sign, and never more so than this year, as your wonderful tag illustrates! Hope you have a gloriously sunny weekend. xxx Lynn

Lagene said...

Awesome tag, I love tye mopped up background and that butterflu is awesome!

froebelsternchen said...

These layers are fantastic ..what an amazing spring tag ..it's simply gorgeous Alison and I really enjoy your plum blossoms!

Happy safe weekend dear friend!
Big ELbow hugs
Susi xxx

Sue said...

This is wonderful Alison, that acetate butterfly is stunning. The street are so quiet now here, there's no-one out at all. Take care, Sue x

Fliss said...

A truly gorgeous tag Alison. Such a beautiful background with so much detail and love the idea of gessoing the butterfly wings as it looks so effective.
Must try and locate mine!
Beautiful blossoms too and thanks so much for sharing the photos.
Fliss xx

Michele said...

beautifully done! delicate and lovely like a real butterfly. thanks for linking to tag tuesday! xo

Darlene said...

WOW what a GORGEOUS tag! Fabulous design! Thanks so much for joining in the fun at our Sisterhood of Crafters challenge! Good Luck and we hope you’ll come back often.

Darlene
SISTERHOOD OF CRAFTERS
DAR’S CRAFTY CREATIONS
Please stop in for a visit!

P.S. Thanks for sharing these beautiful, uplifting springtime photos. Things are starting to POP here in Ohio and I am SO READY! LOL

suzyb said...

Love this tag Alison, but I love all your work <3 Love the colour choice, spring colours, we can all use that! I love to see the flowers blooming in my yard. The smell of the hyacinths Yumm. Stay well and safe my friend.

Mac Mable said...

What a delicate, pretty and calming tag, full of hope and beauty x. What a stunner of a butterfly and gorgeous colours and stamping on your beautiful tag x. Thank you for sharing the fabulous photos of the plum tree x.

Amanda said...

Whoops nearly missed this one. Beautiful recreation of this weeks beautiful springtime weather, sadly changing now. A creative moment of calm in all the madness that we currently find ourselves in. Beautiful. Stay safe
Love
Amanda x

nwilliams6 said...

Gorgeous tag. Wow. So beautiful in so many ways and layers. I love your pictures of the flowers too. A very special and calming post full of beauty. TFS.

Dorthe said...

Beautiful, beautiful mopup start for your lovely spring tag- the soft tones and beautiful butterfly and the sentiment - all such A JOY in the middle of all the terrible things happening to us , all over the world.
Take care dear Alison . xoxo

Anke said...

Liebe Alison,

der Frühling ist so eine schöne Jahreszeit und mit Deinem zauberhaften Tag hast Du ihn perfekt eingefangen, ein Traumwerk mit so vielen liebevollen Details.

Und über die Fotos Eurer Pflaumenblüte freue ich mich auch sehr, unserer ist noch nicht ganz so weit, ich bin auch froh darüber, da wir die Nacht nochmal strengen Frost hatten.

Herzliche Grüße
von Anke

Neet said...

What a lovely additional treat you gave us today with the plum blossom. No wonder you are proud of your garden, that is just so beautiful.
As is your tag I hasten to add. I love how the gesso has brought the butterfly to life, it is definitely the focal point here and is just beautiful, what a brilliant idea.
One would not think that this tag began life as a mop up, you choose the most delightful colours and they always marry well together. So delicate, springlike and calming this tag is, it brings peace in an otherwise turbulent world at the moment.
Hugs, Neet xx

Karen said...

This is gorgeous! I love all the layers ~ it makes me want to see your craft table of starts ~ maybe you can photograph some of that for us too ~ I love to see the creative process ~ beautiful elements and yes, enjoy the real blooms like you have been ~ true, the world is still a beautiful place ~

Helen said...

Beautiful tag - so elegant and delicate.

Thanks for sharing with us at the Mix It Up Challenge Blog.

Helen x

Diana Taylor said...

This is an absolute stunner of a tag - I just love everything about it, the colours are so tranquil and I love the ephemera in the background. Perfection!
Diana x

Patty O'Malley said...

Tags have always been my most favorite type of papercraft. This tag is absolutely gorgeous, Alison! I love the peaceful colors of it and the pretty butterfly. It brings me a sense of calm looking at it. Love seeing your springtime flowers, too. Stay safe!

pearshapedcrafting said...

A beautiful tag indeed! Those delicate greens on the background and that gorgeous background really do lift my spirits! Plum blossom is beautiful, memories of the plum tree in our garden when I was a child - but oh the wasps when the fruit ripened! Hugs, Chrisx