I'm travelling into a new way of working, a new country, a new language, and a new hobby which I'm passionate about. Come with me for some of the journey...

Monday 5 October 2020

Caught in a Cobweb at Simon Says Stamp

Hello all!  I'm absolutely thrilled to be guest designing for the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge for the month of October.  It's always an honour and a pleasure to create alongside the extraordinary team of creative geniuses (genii?) there, and I'm so happy to be back (even if I am squeezing it in amidst moving house to a new country!).

We've got a great theme to kick of the month... Dry Embossing, with a focus on Tim Holtz products.  I have a lot of Tim's Texture Fades (his name for embossing folders), but I often forget to use them.  I need to make sure they are stored more accessibly when I set up my new craft space since I had so much creating fun with them for this XL tag.

Yes, I'm in the throes of packing up my life and my craft supplies ready to move across Europe, so these projects for Simon Says Stamp will probably amongst the last things I make in the old space.  (I do plan to keep some inks/tags/stamps accessible throughout the process... I can't be without the option to craft in between sorting, clearing and packing!)  And here's today's tag...

There's quite a lot of dry embossing going on here, but also plenty of crackle, plenty of ink, crayon, paint and shimmering wax, along with some autumnal gatherings and of course that tiny spider... nothing to be afraid of, right?






There was no doubt about my first choice given the time of year... it had to be the glorious Layered Leaf.  It comes as a set with a coordinating die and folder.  I created a background with Distress Inks and Oxides and cut and embossed the large leaf.








From the same background, I cut some of the smaller leaves from the Fall Foliage Thinlits, and then ran them through the Layered Leaf's embossing folder.  Of course the folder isn't sized for them, but I think it adds a nice bit of extra texture.

You can see I was already trying them out on the jumbo MDF tag (8.5 x 4.25 inches).






And with another subtler background I cut the Impresslits Leaf in both sizes several times.  This does the cutting and embossing all in one go as well as creating a 3D curve to the leaves.  Layered up together, I think they all look pretty good.






The other embossing folder getting in on the action is an oldie but a goodie... Tim Holtz's Cobwebs Texture Fade.  (A similar one is here.) I ran it through with some plain card and then scraped DecoArt Crackle Paint into the depressions and let it do its thing.


 






I realised too late that if I wanted it to blend into the background as though the cobweb were just hanging there in a crackled sky, then I should have glued it down to the MDF tag before putting on the crackle paint!








So I had to draw round it and then try and apply crackle paint to my background so that it would just slot in.

I thought you'd like to know that it's not always all plain sailing around here!  There's more trouble to come...






I'm not going to take you through the entire chapter of difficulties (with a functional Blogger I would, but with New Blogger I just haven't got the time to mess around #newbloggersucks).  Suffice to say that I ended up having to peel away my glued down cobweb, to find it left a slightly less dimensional version of itself, which I then re-added crackle to and started applying colour with Distress Sprays.


Trouble is because it wasn't as deep there's less of a crackle compared with on the MDF.  I'm also a bit disappointed at how no matter what colour medium I put on it seemed to fade to almost nothing... even the paint - what's that about?  It doesn't usually happen...





In any case, with all the layers of paint and ink and Treasure Gold which eventually got added, you can hardly see the crackle in the cobweb at all now!








Ah well, it looks pretty darn cool around the outside of the cobweb at least... highlighted with Walnut Stain Distress Crayon, amongst others.









Yes, that crackle definitely makes me happy!  You can also see here the fine wire I silvered up to create a web for my Idea-ology spider to dangle from (again there's a similar one here) ...







... and here he is, right at the centre of the cobweb, waiting for his prey (or for you to walk through the trees and get the whole web caught in your hair - ugh!).








I used the pad of my fingertip to swipe on some Treasure Gold wax in Silver and in pewter to give the cobweb that lovely shimmer you sometimes see the fragile fibres get when the sunlight catches them.




At this time of year, I can rarely resist adding some pinecones and acorns when I get the chance, and since this is an MDF tag it can handle both the weight and the dimension.







I also tucked some moss in and around the leaves as I felt the tag needed a bit of green going on.






I'm sure you spotted the Idea-ology Word Band with some shredded Mummy Cloth adding some extra cobwebby texture behind it.  There's more of the cloth and more of the rusty wire at the top of the tag to finish it off.






So, overall, despite all the frustrations along the way, I ended up very happy with my autumnal tag - with the dry-embossed leaves and the spider at the heart of it, glistening on his silvery web. 





I hope you'll be inspired to come and play along at the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge.  If this isn't enough, there is of course phenomenal inspiration from the full-time Design Team there.

As ever, the team will be spotlighting some of their favourite entries at the end of the week, and of course there's that $25 voucher to spend at Simon Says Stamp for one lucky randomly drawn winner.

Thanks so much for stopping by today, and I'll see you again soon.  Happy crafting all!







Laws are like cobwebs, which may catch small flies, but let wasps and hornets break through.  Hah!
Jonathan Swift 

Truth is by nature self-evident. As soon as you remove the cobwebs of ignorance that surround it, it shines clear.  Double hah!
Mahatma Gandhi

I'd like to share this tag at Try It On Tuesday where the theme is Autumn Colours
And at the Funkie Junkie Boutique Blog they are looking for Fall Foliage

#newbloggersucks

41 comments:

Meihsia Liu said...

It's so great to have you design with us again at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge this week! Alison. Love your gorgeous tag! The texture on the background you made is stunning. The autumn leaves and acorns are fantastic! :D

Evelyn said...

Thanks for sharing -- I like how you give details on what what wrong as well as what went right. :)

Maura said...

Welcome back Alison! Your tag is like stepping into fall, walking in the forest and crunching the leaves...it is gorgeous!!! hugs, Maura

Helen said...

a beautiful tag, Alison. Glad you're going to try and keep crafting whilst you shift countries - was going to put continents for a sec, but realised that was wrong! mind you, shifting countries is quite a feat ha ha!

Amanda said...

Even though it had its creative ups and downs the final result is as fabulous as always. I love how the web looks at the end.
Love
Amanda x

Valerie-Jael said...

Beautiful tag Alison, love the colours and textures. And thanks for joining us at TIOT again, much appreciated. Hugs, Valerie

Redanne said...

It is lovely to see you creating for Simon Says again Alison. Despite your crafting issues you really have created a beautiful tag. The fall colours goes beautifully with blue background and the cobweb is an absolute delight. I look forward to seeing more of your SSS projects this month. Anne xx

My name is Erika. said...

I never thought of using crackle paste on a texture fade, but it sure makes wonderful texture. And a nice spooky look too. Love the worn and weathered look. Thanks for joining our colors of autumn challenge at Try It on Tuesday Alison. We're glad to have you back after a little break. Hugs-Erika

Christine Alexander said...

great project for the SSS dry embossing theme, I'm looking forward to the other projects :) Love the addition of the crackle paste to your embossed cobweb great texture.

Lorraine A said...

Absolutely gorgeous tag Alison :-) I love the cobweb textured background and the leaves are stunning! The whole design is so beautifully put together!! I really enjoyed reading about how you made this and will be giving these techniques a try :-)

Thanks so much for agreeing to be in the spotlight, you're a star!! :-)

luv
Lols x x x

Sandy said...

You cannot get any better than this! Fantastic Alison!!
Sandy xx

Mae Travels said...

Your creations are very pleasing... it's really fun to see what you do with a few dried leaves. When I take a walk, I always am tempted to pick up the reddest leaves, but have no use for them. Good that you found the perfect thing to do with them.

be well... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Fonda said...

I knew it was you on Simon Says before I read your name! You have a wonderful style, and I love everything you make.

Words and Pictures said...

They aren’t dried leaves, Mae... I made them! But I’m gald you liked the tag.
Alison x

Sue said...

This is a stunner Alison, I really like the acorns and the wonderful colours and textures. I have so many embossing folders too and never think to use them and I really should. Congratulations on being In The Spotlight, it's very well deserved. Take care and have a happy (if you can be happy packing) week, Sue xx

Princess Judy Palmer said...

Fabulous! I just love what you do with leaves. They look like you plucked them off the ground on a crisp fall day. The crackled cobweb with visiting spider is perfect! You've inspired me to do autumn crafting even though it will be 100 degrees today.

pearshapedcrafting said...

I'm not surprised that you are happy with this tag Alison - it it absolutely Autumn. We have a huge cobweb on our outdoor stairs and I hope nobody decides to have a clean up while we are out! The caretaker doesn't like cobwebs!!! That blue/grey web with its crackle is definitely like the ones in my photo and those leaves look so real! Thank you so much for joining us at Try It On Tuesday, Chrisx
ps I could be heading for a catch up!!

Cestina said...

"Od čeho jsou ty pavučiny?" Love it, love it, love it! xxx

Chrissy said...

What a beauty Alison, I LOVE the web embossing and the texture you added with the crackle too, the colours!!.. and then those beautiful leaves and acorns..FABulous tag..

Luv CHRISSYxx

Let's Art Journal said...

Many congratulations on being in the Designer Spotlight over at SSSMC! Your tag is amazing and I loved seeing how it all came together, the autumnal leaves and colours are stunning - so beautiful 😁. Happy and creative wishes! Hugs, Jo x

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Congratulations on being the designer for Simon Says this month. Your tag is incredible. I love how you created this. I don't have any embossing folders, so I am in total awe of what you created. Those leaves are simply amazing. I know you put a lot of time and effort into this tag, and it shows. Your art always astounds me.

Meggymay said...

It is a gorgeous autumn tag Alison and we are so happy you have shared it with us at Try it on Tuesdays.
I hope the house move is going well.
Stay safe.
Yvonne xx

Witchcrafted Life said...

What a textural, wonderfully detailed delight. This captures the spirit of fall's earthy, enduring beauty to a tee.

Autumn Zenith 🎃 Witchcrafted Life

Let's Art Journal said...

Thanks so much for joining in the fun at Try it on Tuesday with your beautiful tag too! Happy and creative wishes 😀. Hugs, Jo x

Craftyfield said...

Congrats on your GDT! Superb tag, no matter the difficulties... love the acorns and pinecone as well as the realistic leaves. I have seen inks/paint colours sink in before into some Gesso (but not others), a matter of molecular size I believe, usually dyes will sink more than pigment. x

craftytrog said...

Your tag looks amazing Alison, in spite of the difficulties. Those leaves look so realistic!

Neet said...

Having just had to try to amend a page in my journal because it did not show up the texture and a tag which I had made a mark on in entirely the wrong place I can understand your frustration but honestly the crackle shows up beautifully.
I have yet to see something you do that has an error on it. I always love your work and this one is beautiful. I love how you have used those leaves, now I want that die, but I suspect it is the colouring that makes them as beautiful as they are. You have made them look so realistic!
A beautiful tag, from start to finish. Love it!
Hugs, Neet xx

Margaret Mifsud said...

Well, despite the troubles you had along the way, this tag turned out beautifully Alison! I always love how you describe your processes and, even when things don't work the way you want, you always manage to fix them and end up creating a little masterpiece. This tag is no exception. Love the colour .. the blue looks fabulous with those gorgeous autumny (is that a word? LOL) leaves .. and the crackle is perfect! Loove this! Hope the packing is going well for you. Take care. xx

Mac Mable said...

So glad you kept going Alison as your tag is amazing, unique and so dimensional. Fabulous web crackle both inside and around it and a fun idea to add the 'little' spider. Great dry embossing and lots of different inspirational ideas....Thank you x.

Marci said...

Lovely leaves against that light blue, silvery background perfectly represents a fall day. I hope your packing up goes well.

Diana Taylor said...

A stunning tag and beautiful details as always. The leaves look spectacularly real and I love the delicate dewy web. I hope your move goes well, I'm impressed you are still creating such stunning work while packing up and moving your craft supplies - you must be super-organised!
Diana xx

Art By Wanda said...

So gorgeous, every after your difficulties with it!!!!

Jenny Marples said...

Although it sounds like you had some fun putting this together Alison the end results are wonderful, capturing perfectly that morning frost on cobwebs nestled amongst the autumn leaves. With your eye for the tiniest detail it's a magnificent tag. Thank you for joining us at The Funkie Junkie Boutique blog x

Ms. Tamp said...

Thank you for a closer, detailed look at the project. I'm still trying to find my own style. More and more I'm leaning to the mixed media side of crafting. First seen at the SSS challenge site and I just had to come over for more. Thank you for more details. This is very much liked and I'd like to try this out for myself. Thank you so much. I will sub for more!

Mrs.B said...

A fabulous tag Alison, so much gorgeous texture, even if you were disappointed with some of the crackle, it's still there giving a subtle hint in the cobweb. Love the background colour, it really does make the Autumnal leaves pop.
(hope the house move is going OK)
Thanks for sharing this with us at Try it on Tuesday,
Avril xx

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

All that you've got going on and you took on this?!! Bravo! LOVE the web and the leaves and acorns are wonderful!

nwilliams6 said...

Beautiful! Love the texture and colors. FABULOUS tag. Your creations are always so delightful!

sarascloset said...

Alison, I just have to tell you, you totally made my day! Not only have I enjoyed seeing all your wonderful closeups of this fantastic crackled fall tag and that single not so creepy spider, but am delighted in the fact that I'm not the only one who has to improvise. You would have never guessed the tribulations you faced at your craft table, let alone guessed you were moving clear across the continent! You are a brave woman, my dear! And I literally laughed out loud over your #newbloggersucks! Amen, sister! That, and a faulty laptop keyboard makes one want to throw it right out the window at times! Thanks so much for sharing with us at The Funkie Junkie Boutique blog, for visiting my blog (wow! Where DO you find the time?) and for making me laugh!

Ruth G said...

Such fabulous fall texture! I love the crackled elements and the leaves are wonderfully realistic! Your color choices are lovely, also! Reminds me of a crisp fall day! Thanks so much for sharing!

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Gorgeous texture, beautiful images and the little spider is a perfect finishing touch. Love it, Angela xXx

Lagene said...

Gorgeous fall tags!!!! Love those leaves and the spider webs!