I'm travelling into a new way of working, a new country, a new language, and a new hobby which I'm passionate about. Come with me for some of the journey...

Friday 30 August 2019

Last Days of Summer







I always need to be part of Tag Friday over at A Vintage Journey.

It's that lovely extra Friday in a challenge month when the Creative Guides are free to play any way they want, as long as it's on a tag.

I usually take the chance to return to basics with some fairly straightforward inking and stamping, remembering that uncomplicated joy I found right at the start of this crafting journey.

Although I love the complex mixed media assemblage pieces in 3D like this week's Stargazing Skeleton, sometimes it's nice to keep things simple (and it makes for shorter blogposts too!).

















It's another smooshing extravaganza in the background.  There are Distress Inks and Oxides in various shades involved.

















I know there's some Broken China, Peeled Paint, Shabby Shutters, and I think some Salty Ocean maybe.
















I stamped a couple of my all-time favourite Tim Holtz images - and they're both ones I have on wood mounts.  I have very few wood-mounted stamps, but those I have are special to me.














The meadow grasses are stamped in Olive Archival, and the birds are in Watering Can. 

And then all that stamping is clear-embossed.











It's one of my favourite things to do for a number of reasons...

It helps an image stand out against a busy background.













It captures the light so beautifully - something I'm always trying to do - as well as giving a little bit of texture.














It has a wonderful effect of shimmering almost out of view at some angles.  So those migrating birds are here... and then they're gone.  It's a kind of magic!















There are some of my favourite dried flower stems...
















... adding dimension to my meadow.














And the words are from my own PaperArtsy EAB01 Trees & Flowers stamp set.











They're stamped in Broken China Distress Oxide, and they've been clear-embossed too.













The tag is mounted on some white card, inked at the edges naturally, and some simple twine finishes everything off.












It's definitely all about the light here at Words and Pictures at the moment... we've had moonlight, then starlight by candlelight, and now we're soaking up those last few rays of summer sunlight, captured in the gleam of the clear-embossing.

I hope you've enjoyed taking a walk in my late summer garden.  Check out the tag playtime all the other Creative Guides have been enjoying over at A Vintage Journey.







When summer gathers up her robes of glory, And, like a dream, glides away.
Sarah Helen Whitman

I'd love to join in at Try It On Tuesday where they have the lovely theme of In my garden there is... the last of the meadow flowers and a flock of departing birds
Addicted to Stamps and More are having an Anything Goes challenge
And at Let's Craft and Create it's also Anything Goes with an optional twist of EnTWINEd - well I've a little piece of twine topping things off
At More Mixed Media it's Anything Goes with Optional Bright - this is about as bright as I get!

40 comments:

My name is Erika. said...

Very pretty tag Alison. The clear embossing makes a great effect. And yes, so sad, but we are getting into the last summer sunlight. Days are getting so short so quickly! Enjoy your weekend. Hugs-Erika

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

There is NOTHING simple about this beauty, Alison. It's fabulous. I loved how you embossed the birds and made them nearly disappear depending on what direction you placed the camera. And the texture the embossing created was amazing. Even more texture was created when you added the baby's breath. I am in awe of this latest tag. Monet knew what he was talking about, didn't he?

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I forgot to mention. I'm not much of a stamper, but the stamps I own are mostly ALL wood mounts. I just don't do well without that added cushion a wood mount stamp gives. And I prefer red rubber, too!

Helen said...

what a beautiful tag Alison!

Valerie-Jael said...

Wonderful, atmospheric tag, love the muted colours. A real beauty again! Have a fabulous weekend, hugs, Valerie

Linda said...

Your tag is beautiful Alison. I love all the colours in the background, your meadow scene is just perfect.
Summer is nowhere to be seen here this morning .... it's raining!
Have a lovely weekend xx

Anne (cornucopia) said...

Your tag is gorgeous.

craftytrog said...

Gorgeous tag Alison! I love that schmooshy background! x

Neet said...

A gorgeous tag - a gorgeous quote and those colours are so reminiscent of Monet. You chose wisely there. You happen to have used some of my favourite of the Distress colours but I never achieve the look you have - maybe I should sit with your picture in front of me next time.
Lovely as always dear Alison.
Hugs, Neet xx

Marci said...

So pretty, and I have always loved and agreed with that quote.

Fonda said...

Lovely tag!

froebelsternchen said...

That's a terrific tag Alison, a rare beauty! I love it! SO sad that this wonderful summer comes to its end now, I enjoyed it so much ! Thank you very much for joining in at Try It On Tuesday! Happy weekend!
Susi xxx

Cath Wilson said...

One of my personal favourite colour combos here, Alison - and a stamp I used to use a lot, too! I taught a faux batik class with those TH stamps a couple of times and I ended up with loads of samples, which I absolutely loved. It's nice to see a similar piece on your blog :-) Mine didn't have the gorgeous birds on though...it's a lovely tag. perfectly designed and full of interest.
Thanks for playing in our 'In My Garden' challenge at TIOT.
Cath x

experiments in paper said...

Beautiful tag, which reminds me of impressionistic painting with that lovely background, and the meadow and birds. The embossing is such a nice touch, one I've learnt from you along with many other things! Wishing you a lovely weekend, as carefree as this tag! xxx Lynn

Sue said...

What a beautiful tag Alison, I love those dried flower stems, and these birds were one of the first TH stamp sets that I bought - it seems like such a long time ago now. Have a very happy weekend, Sue xx

Redanne said...

Oh, how beautiful Alison, the background is wonderful mix of colours and the grasses you added on top of the stamping gives some wonderful texture. Love this! Anne xx

S@ndy Diller said...

Your tag is simply lovely. There is beauty in simplicity. Hugs, S@ndy

Margaret Mifsud said...

This is so beautiful Alison! I love the grasses and the birds .. the embossing really does make a big difference to the depth of the picture as well as catching the light so beautifully. An amazing piece of art! hugs xx

Meggymay said...

It does look like a summer meadow,a stunning tag Alison.
Thank you for linking this to our TioT's theme.
Yvonne xx

Cocofolies said...

Alright for French Alison?... :D
So, let's go. Alors, allons-y.
J'adore ce tag moi aussi... Juste le bonheur d'utiliser des tampons, des encres et des couleurs qu'on aime... et avec lesquels on rejoue avec bonheur encore et encore, un peu différemment chaque fois, sans lassitude. Sans oublier des citations comme celle-ci, que j'adore (et possède, quelle chance!) aussi.
Merci Alison pour ce joli cadeau du weekend! :)
Très beau weekend à toi, amitiés.
Corinne X
PS: petite question: vernis-tu tes fleurs séchées, pour les protéger dans le temps ?

Astrid Maclean said...

Gorgeous tag Alison and so very you! Lovely background and love the combination of stamped and dried flowers!

Mrs.B said...

A fabulous tag Alison, love the inky background and the clear embossing does make the grasses stand out in your meadow.
Thanks for sharing this with us at Try it on Tuesday.
Avril xx

Paper Profusion said...

So very lovely Alison. Instantly recognisable as yours. Superb layering and depth as always. Wishing you a lovely weekend. Nicola x

Annie said...

stunning tag Alison and the background is fantastic with the mix of colours and those birds. The clear embossing is a lovely effect too and the dried grasses add to the texture. Great words too x

Have a great weekend and thank you for the sweet comments you left on my blog xx

Huge hugs
Annie xx

Let's Art Journal said...

Wow, I'm loving your tag! The background of colours is amazing and I love how the EP captures the light so beautifully - stunning 😁. Thanks for the inspiration, Happy Tag Friday! Hugs, Jo x

Let's Art Journal said...

... thanks so much for joining in the fun at Try it on Tuesday too with your amazing tag of meadow flowers and flock of birds 😁. Hugs, Jo x

Dorthe said...

Alison, you always write so beautiful, "on top" of your beautiful creations.
Love your magic of birds , "coming and flying" because of the embossing , it really looks gorgeous, and you know I love your added dried grasses !!
A wonderful summer/autumn tag .
Wishing you a lovely September. xoxo

Rosie said...

Ooooh, Alison, your tag is gorgeous, love it

Thank you for joining us at TRY IT ON TUESDAY

Dortesjs said...

Greatttte tags as always with shimmering and all Alison. Keep up

Joan said...

Just stunning! I love the colours and the embossed stamping

Thanks for joining us at Try It On Tuesday challenge

Joan

Roosterhead Designs said...

Hello Alison~ I am very far behind in visiting; : (
but so glad to see this beautiful tag you are sharing! Loving all your inked layers and the emboss and other textures added. This is sensational! and as always your work pulls me right into the scene.
Love your word stamp (from Monet) and enjoy looking deep into the artwork to see what beautiful things are blushing in the background : ) [like the soft white flowers and stems, and the dreamy blues that seem to set the stage.) Thank you for sharing! Hugs to you, karen o

Craftyfield said...

So delicate and beautiful, a signature Butterfly design! I love the details and you make a good point about the clear embossing. x

maj. said...

So beautiful and delicate. I love all the details!!!

Amanda said...

Your trademark tags never fail in their exquisiteness, as they say “simple to make, difficult to master’ and you e certainly mastered this one, beautiful
Love
Amanda x

Patty O'Malley said...

I love this beautifully serene tag, Alison! I have been feeling so stressed this past week and seeing this makes me smile.

cohenna said...

Beautiful!! Thanks for sharing with us at Let’s Craft and Create Challenge, hope to see you again :)

Julia Aston said...

I am in awe of your color mixing skills Alison! LOVE the progression from the shifting stems up to the glorious sky with your lovely flight of birds! xx

Barbara said...

This tag represents you perfectly! It's so you! Love love love as always your compositions, they are always so balanced and elegant Colors are wonderful, my favorites! barbara

A Pink said...

I never fail to admire your smooshing , Alison - you are so good at it . Your tag is a beauty . it holds a wonderful sense of movement with the meadow grasses , delicate flower stems and migrating birds. Love the shimmer of the clear embossing as it captures the light -reminds me of early morning misty dew.

Hugs x

pearshapedcrafting said...

What an absolutely stunning tag! Chrisx