I'm travelling into a new way of working, a new country, a new language, and a new hobby which I'm passionate about. Come with me for some of the journey...

Friday 9 August 2019

Encore Post - Flourishing Florals

Since you all enjoyed the rare sighting of some cards round these parts this week with my Birthday Bubbles cards for Simon Says Stamp, I decided to go back in time for another card with this Encore post.  This was created for Calico Craft Parts in February 2016 when I was on the Design Team there, and here's what I wrote back then...  (Check the very end of the post for an explanation if you've not met my Encore Posts before.)
_______________________________________

Hello all, Alison here from Words and Pictures with a very extravagant card for you today.  There are so many decorative elements to choose from in the Calico Craft Parts Corners, Flourishes & Ornaments section that you are really spoilt for choice when it comes to ornamentation.  Plenty of influences at work here (a glance at my "cards I love" Pinterest board will give you some of the main ones), but also a determination to use some of my long-hoarded "pretty things" in my craft stash.  I've got plenty of photos for you, so grab a coffee, sit back and enjoy the ride!


It started with some very basic layered panels and one of the wonderful new Corner Wood Shapes in two different sizes.  I definitely took some photos at this earliest stage but, again, my camera seems to have been playing up and they haven't materialised.


Basically, it's a square kraft card, with a couple of layers of patterned paper shabbily die-cut, and finally another kraft panel on the top for the sentiment.  The large Leafy Vine Wood Corner was the perfect size for the main card background, and the smaller one was just right for the sentiment panel.


I applied rough coats of gesso to all the layers, and applied some embossing powders to the Leafy Vine Wood Corners.  It's mainly white embossing powder, but I added some sprinkles of blue and green too.  This is the earliest process photo I've got, and here I've already started adding extra goodies and a touch of paint for colour.


Once I started adding more stuff, I couldn't stop!


A couple more Flourish pieces made their way on - these are all fragments from larger pieces - perfect for tucking in between layers...


... or for adding just a little more ornamental detail in places.


The main corner flourishes have benefitted from some of the spritzing and spraying that I did over the basic gesso and paint layers.


I love how the inks have pooled on the embossed curlicues and ornamentation...


... and the contrast of the slightly glossy dimension with the rougher painted layers on the other flourishes.


The metal flower has also had a coating of gesso and then paint and ink-spritzed added over the top.


Mostly, I managed to keep my paper flowers nice and white to provide some contrast.


I love the extra fun of the curly wires from the flowers coming out in all directions.


The berries had their stems cut off because they were a bit too thick and unwieldy...


... but I love the touch of glittery sparkle which they bring to the card.  When I go full on, I go full on!


You may well recognise the delicate flower sprays which are dotted here and there.


They were on my recent Imagine Simplicity tag - I said it was ironic that that tag grew from such an extravagant creation as this!


There are also some filigree metal pieces layered between the panels.  I think they provide a good contrast to the organic flow of the flowers and flourishes by echoing the more formal decorative style of the corner pieces.


And I love all the inky painty layers and edging to make the panels pop.


A few words in the centre of things, surrounded by inky scribbles, and we're pretty much there.


I hope you like this excursion into flourishing florals.  Alongside my exploration of simplicity, I have a feeling there might be more explosions into full on extravaganzas like this on the side.  When the sun comes out, this just makes me really happy.


_________________________________

I hope you enjoyed this trip down Memory Lane... it just seemed the perfect time to revisit this summery sunshine card full of flourishing florals, much more appropriate than its original February publication date!  Thanks so much for stopping by today.  Have a great weekend, and I'll see you again on Monday with a new Simon Says Stamp spotlight project.

The whole point of extravagance is to act like a fool and feel like a fool, but enjoy it.
Alfred Bester

Encore Posts
Projects which made their first appearances elsewhere for Design Team duties or Guest Designer opportunities, but which only had a sneak peek here, are being gathered together in the pages of my virtual scrapbook while I'm away.
As always, the Encore Posts are formatted differently from the regular ones, so that you can easily spot them.  Please don't feel that you have to comment all over again!

16 comments:

Mac Mable said...

What a beautiful card Alison with great texture and layering. An explosion of beautiful elements, colours and techniques.
What was fun for me was that I read your post from the link at Calico for February 2016 but you had one earlier in the same month and boy did that confuse little old me ...it's a vinaigrette, which too was fabulous I might add.....x. Thank you for sharing this amazing creation....I love it x.

Redanne said...

A stunning card Alison and really worth a second look. The colours are gorgeous and those layers are beautiful! Anne xx

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

No simplicity on this card, Alison. This is full out extravaganza. the only thing you left out was the kitchen sink. I suspect it's because it wouldn't fit on the card (grin).

This may have been a repost, but it was a first look for me. I followed you through every spray, glitter, and metal you used. You know how to put a card together, dear, and your ability to make the composition come to life is amazing.

My name is Erika. said...

That is a fabulous piece Alison. The green is so appealing to me. I can see your style in it and how you have evolved. Thanks so much for sharing. Happy weekend. Hugs-Erika

Lucy Edmondson said...

That is absolutely exquisite, Alison! X

craftytrog said...

Definitely worth another showing Alison! I love this beauty!
Happy weekend,
Alison xx

sarascloset said...

I only had time to look at the pretty pictures this morning. What a lovely card so full of beautiful details! What a wonderfully designed work of art! So happy you gave it an encore posting! As for your comment on your blog, the Cutout Blossoms dies are not ones that get much action in sarascloset, but I sure do use Crochet on a regular basis, and consider that set to be a great investment. Sometimes I look at my die collection and think what was I thinking??? Ha! Ha! (Nervous laughter)

Craftyfield said...

Such a burst of vegetal life! Glad you showed this piece again, I don't think I caught it the first time around!

Dorthe said...

A gorgeous panel- card, so filled with beautiful details, and summer , layers atop layers of greenery and flowers , so very beautiful, Alison. xoxo

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

So much gorgeous detail that I will have to go back for another look! Angela xXx

pearshapedcrafting said...

I am surprise I don't recall seeing this as in February it would certainly have been a welcome sight! It's beautiful layered delight! Hugs, CHirsx

Sue said...

What a fabulous project, so many gorgeous layers and textures xx

Roosterhead Designs said...

Dear Alison this is an amazing card! Beautiful artwork~ Sometimes the instinct to 'just keep layering' is the right one! and creates such a gorgeous textural piece such as this. The words were what first drew me in (I was looking to see if it is you we should credit with that wonderful quote; of if it came from another? but) I love it!
Great mixed media art Alison! It's been such a pleasure to visit your blog; I learn something every time~ Hugs to you, karen o

rachel said...

This is absolutely awesome - I love the colours so much - its super pretty! Like a summers day! Hugs rachel xx

Neet said...

That is not a card Alison - it is a work of art! Absolutely beautiful, and as always, you just seem to hit the right notes when choosing the colours you are going to work with. I am not a green fan but I can be persuaded when I see something like this to use it, over and over again.
I love flowers when they are well done and have always been an admirer of Finnabair (remember that is where we first met) so this appealed to me so much with its various layers and the little pieces tucked here and there.
Thank you so much for giving it an Encore posting.
Hugs, Neet xx

A Pink said...

One I remember from its first outing and its still as gorgeous today as it was then .
Hugs x