I'm travelling into a new way of working, a new country, a new language, and a new hobby which I'm passionate about. Come with me for some of the journey...

Tuesday 4 December 2018

Winter Journal II

Hello all!  Winter is here... at Words and Pictures at least.  I'm glad you enjoyed my Matchbox Poetry over at PaperArtsy - something a little different for me - and I'm happy to be back today with the second of my Winter Journal pages.  (If you haven't seen page one, check it out here along with details of why I'm doing these pages.)  We're still in the 8x8 inch kraft journal, and today there's a bit more of that showing.


It's another short(ish) post, as I've followed a similar framework as for page one... keeping things simple in terms of ingredients so that there's not too much decision making to be done.  There's no time for that in busy December.  The first page took less than half an hour.  This one took around 45 minutes.  (For some reason, it took ages to find the right person/people!)








There's some torn tissue tape and plenty of stamping in the background, and again some white paint brayered on as well as splattered.

















The tree line is a Tim Holtz Thinlits die called Tree Line (fair enough), cut from sanded KraftCore card.  I've added a bit of white pen doodling for a frosted touch.















The two boys, wrapped up warm for their outing, are standing on some tissue tape, with thread swirling around them in the winter wind.














There are some more evergreens in the background... delicate fir fronds from Tim's new Winter Watercolour stamps.













They're stamped in Evergreen Bough Distress Oxide, which means they show up over the kraft as well as over the tissue tape and white paint.  And there are a few splatters of Evergreen Bough Distress Stain around the place too.













As with the first page, there's some acetate film strip providing additional horizontal structure.  It also grounds the tree line rather nicely.













It's stapled again at one end, and this time there's an Idea-ology snowflake at the other end, outlined by a die-cut one to make it pop a little more.















The die-cut snowflakes are done with the Mini Paper Snowflakes Thinlits dies - so many different sizes and styles in one set...

And finally I have to add some words to the pictures, of course. 














The Idea-ology word stickers are full of optimism and adventure.  I hope they've got their ice skates for the crossing the river part of it!







Thanks so much for stopping by today for this brisk woodland walk.  I hope you're enjoying some fresh air too, whatever the weather.  As they say, there's no such thing as bad weather, only the wrong clothes!  See you again soon.

It is a spur that one feels at this season more than at any other. How nimbly you step forth! The woods roar, the waters shine, and the hills look invitingly near.
From Winter Sunshine by John Burroughs

I'd like to play along again at Art Journal Journey for the double theme of My Favourite Season/Tis the Season
They're still walking in a Winter Wonderland over at Try It On Tuesday, so I'd like play there too
And there's another Winter Wonderland on offer at That's Crafty Challenges, and I'm just in time for it

28 comments:

Roosterhead Designs said...

Completely sensational! Right down to your color choices for the greens~ What a great eye for detail you have Alison! I really like the touches you've incorporated (like your dif. colors of paint spatters; the pen doodling . . punched snowflake . . :) adding wonderful layers and interest~ Those boys are great!! Gang-way! Yes ice skates essential for this journy~ Thanks for sharing. I like the words you chose also. Looking forward to the next page! Hugs to you, karen o

Julia said...

45 minutes!! I am totally in awe of your ability to produce such beautiful art in such a short time. Love this page. X

My name is Erika. said...

Another fabulous journal page Alison. You really know how to do a pretty winter page! Hugs-Erika

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I have been nine places today, in addition to lunch with my foodie friend Sally. I am exhausted, but so glad I am finally here to see this second wonderful entry in your winter journal, Alison.

I was totally blown away by the 45 minutes it took you to create this incredible beauty. I spend longer than that putting my journal pages together, and mine look like a child's art next to your incredible beauties.

I really love this second entry, and with the threads surrounding and swirling behind the boys, I feel lots of movement, too. This is a wonderful piece right down to the added metal snowflake over the die cut snowflake. I was also impressed with the stamping and now see how useful those oxides must be. Thanks beyond belief for sharing this beauty with us at Art Journal Journey. This is gorgeous beyond words.

Helen said...

Another fabulous woodland page - love these colours on the kraft paper. Once I force myself to get my cards written and sent I am looking forward to doing some "real" crafting again....

Valerie-Jael said...

Beautiful and very atmospheric page, love it! Hugs, Valerie

Cath Wilson said...

Wonderful page. I love the effects of Kraft paper and card. They seem to work so well for most things and show off colours so much more clearly. Love Evergreen Bough DO. Haven't die cuts evolved and become so much more useful?

Lovely, Alison. Thank you for joining us at TIOT this week.

Cath x

Redanne said...

At first glance I thought you had hand drawn in the tree trunks, the film strip makes a perfect addition. The scene reminds me of childhood when my brother and I couldn't wait to get out in the snow with our toboggans. It is very atmospheric and I love your choice of paper dolls! Anne xx

craftytrog said...

Another wonderful, Wintry page Alison!
It's a great idea to fit in some crafting time every day, I'm missing The Funkie Junkie tags too.
Alison xx

Mrs.B said...

A frosty looking page Alison, I like your idea of grounding the trees with the film strip. Off to check out page one - I've been such an absent blogger lately
Avril xx

froebelsternchen said...

You are the queen of texture and amazing detail in my eyes Alison! This is such a fantastic wintery scene- you just make me happy with your winter journal project and not just me -
I am quite sure Elizabeth and the folk at AJJ appreciate it as well.!!
Your PA project is terrific! You really never cease to amaze me with your ideas and the love and knowledge always is shown in every single piece you create!
Thank you for another fantastic entry for our December Collection at AJJ!

Big hugs, Susi

Lenie said...

I was reading Susi's comment and I totally agree with her! Your second page is so wonderful too! I love the craft, the 'snow' and one other colour. Great! Love, Lenie

Marci said...

I love this page!

Craftyfield said...

With all the dithering and paper shuffling it would take me to get to the same result, 45mns would not cut it! Wonderful page, a perfect illustration of winter!

chrissie said...

Hi Alison

A great winter page with a vintage take. Wonderful ideas and you made it so quickly with all that it has to offer.

Must read the today's words again as I didn't quite take them in the first time

Thinking of you love Chrissie xx

Monika Gulyas said...

Fabulous book cover, Alison!!! xx

Astrid Maclean said...

Love the Kraft base of this journal and the 8x8 is a great format, fabulous wintry spread!!

Meggymay said...

A gorgeous page Alison. I love the kraft background and the wonderful detail and images. You created this in in a super time span and yet it looks like it must have taken you a few hours to finish.
Thank you so much for adding this ti our TioT's challenge theme.
Yvonne xx

pearshapedcrafting said...

I can practically feel the snow crunching under my feet - the texture and the swirling snow, especially on the craft paper looks wonderful! I am so pleased you joined us again at Try It On Tuesday! Hugs, Chrisx

2amscrapper said...

absolutely love this composition!

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

There's something quite magical about those exposed Kraft pages in between the white paint smears, so organic in design. That paper doll image always raises a smile with those long socks and shorts brrr!!
So nice to see you over at TioT.
Hugs Tracey x

maria's knutselplezier said...

Wow Alison your winterpages are amazing, I really love them!!
Have a nice winter time !
Maria

Paper Profusion said...

I just don't know how you are gcreating these fantastic pages in such a short timeframe!! Vintage perfection! Nicola x

Neet said...

I love the way you have incorporated those snowflakes into your journal pages. Now you have inspired me and I want some of a Tim Holt’s winter figures.
Another gorgeous page Alison I can’t wait to see the one that follows.
Hugs, Neet xx

A Pink said...

A wonderful wintry scene with some effective touches- the positioning of the film strip to look like tree stems to name but one . Wonderful sense of death and distance .
Love it
hugs x

Amanda said...

I can't believe this is yet another fabulous page that has passed me by I think my internet has been broken lol.
Love
Amanda X

Fliss said...

An absolutely stunning journal page Alison. Such wonderful textures and details and love how the kraft is peeking out under the added layers. A really breathtaking frosty scene.
Thank you so much for your support which I really appreciate and so sorry to be mia at the moment. Life is still very hectic and leaving me with very little spare time and I'm so hoping 2019 will be calmer.
Lovely to see you joining in our challenge at That's Crafty! too and wishing you lots of luck.
Fliss xx

Jackie PN said...

First up, i just adore that quote on the page by John Burrows- so beautiful!
Alison, I have to giggle each time I see in your words,simple or short, or no time; because I look at your pages and think oh my word- that must have taken for ever! This is one of those "simple" pages that just blows me over! I am never far from amazed when I look at the beautiful pages you put together-truly you are so talented,a master in my eyes!
hugs to you and Happy Advent!
Jackie xx