I'm travelling into a new way of working, a new country, a new language, and a new hobby which I'm passionate about. Come with me for some of the journey...

Friday 14 December 2018

Winter Journal VIII

Hello all!  I promised you some brighter colour tones after the last couple of neutral pages in my 8x8 kraft Winter Journal, so here you go...


And we've graduated from loving couples to a happily independent woman, wrapped up warm and ready to make things happen.









There's some loose gesso stencilling through one of my favourite festive stencils, as well as some more gesso slathered on with a palette knife.
















The inky colours are a combination of Evergreen Bough, Iced Spruce and Peeled Paint Distress Sprays...

... with a splattering of some Colorex Oriental Blue.  I just love this close-up of those inky splashes.














The woman herself is either one of the Tim Holtz Photobooth pictures, or one of the Darkroom Door ones.  I'd already snipped her off, and she's been hanging around the craft table by herself, so I'm not sure which any longer.















But I'd say she's definitely happy!

















The fir boughs and branches are cut from card spritzed with those same colours of Distress Spray.















They're layered up over the stencilling in the background...












... and of course they couldn't help but receive a good helping of splatter, both Colorex and white acrylic at various points - and sometimes a mix of the two.













I saved up the in-between-the-birches bits when I cut my forest of trunks for Winter Journal V.

And I really like them here as vertical accents - almost tree-like, but then not quite.   It works well to break up the greenery, I think.














The words are full of optimism and strength...














... looking ahead from the hibernation of winter to fresh adventures to come.














This page makes me happy - the zingy, fresh green colours, the happy woman at the heart of it, and the layers of inky and painty splatter over all that naturally festive greenery (my very favourite bit of all the Christmas decorations).







This will go out on Friday morning, and I think we've probably all earned some of the weekend off again, don't you?  I will be back on Sunday with a little something.  (Eeek! - that will already be the third Sunday of Advent.  When I say "a weekend off", I obviously mean a weekend doing all the other things I should be doing.)  Happy crafting, if you've time for it, and happy everything else if not.

"The evergreen!  How beautiful, how welcome, how wonderful the evergreen!"
From Mansfield Park by Jane Austen

At the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge they are offering up some Warm Winter Wishes
I hope my festive greenery will work for the final ever Stamps & Stencils challenge (sad sigh), It's Got To Be Christmas
And of course I'm playing along again at Art Journal Journey for the double themes of My Favourite Season/Tis the Season

25 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

Another beautiful page, love the freshness of the green. Hugs, Valerie

Anke said...

Wunder...wunderschön, liebe Alison. Ein zauberhaftes Winterwerk, so lovely ...

Herzliche Grüße
von Anke

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

The green made a striking difference after the whites of previous days. I think the green boughs were perfectly placed and the splotches of white and green work so well together. It's truly a happy winter wonderland and a beautiful journal page, Alison. Thank you so much for sharing this with us using my themes at Art Journal Journey.

Cestina said...

Oh that's just lovely. I felt a burst of delight and joy as the page opened. The delicate branches are amazing. Thank you xxx

Mac Mable said...

Love the vibrancy of the greens and hint of blue against the White and Kraft. So much to admire, so much texture and what a stunning layout and yes one strong and happy woman. I am so enjoying these pages Autumn and so much fabulous inspiration and love reading how you've done them X thank you so much X

My name is Erika. said...

Oh I adore this! That green! It makes my heart swoon with joy. The worst part of winter i the lack of bold colors. Love this Alison! Hugs-Erika

Marci said...

I miss green in winter, too, so thank you for this page! Wonderful!

Patty O'Malley said...

Awesome page!

Neet said...

Ooh yes, the close up of the blue and green is delightful - as is the whole page. Another huge success from the craftroom of you Alison. You rock these winter scenes like no other.
Hugs, Neet xx

Jackie PN said...

WOW Gorgeous! when you said there would be color, you were not joking!
I think this is my favorite thus far in this journal.
Not just the design and colors, but the strong independent woman who is happy with who she is! Good for her!
Enjoy your weekend dear Alison!!
till Sunday! lol
Jackie xx

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Thank you for sending me the link to the Tchaikovsky choral music. Not what I expected, but lovely regardless.

froebelsternchen said...

This page makes me happy as well - those freshness of green, the lovely woman as a focal point and the layers and splatters over all - and that delicate festive greenery- simply GORGEOUS! What an amazing entry for Elizabeth's AJJ theme dear Alison! You really make me happy to share all those fantastic pages with AJJ! Happy weekend enjoy your third weekend od Advent!

Big hugs Susi

Meggymay said...

Wow this looks awesome it is a beautiful shade of green and really draws the eye to the pretty lady you are sharing with us today. THose words are awesome as well.
Yvonne xx

Redanne said...

This is definitely a happy page, the woman is lovely and her smile is quite infectious. The greenery is beautiful too, the whole page is very happy indeed. Have a lovely weekend! Anne xx

Brenda Brown said...

Beautiful greenery with wonderful splashes of snowy white and I love the added birch leftovers to create more dimension and interest. Have a great weekend focusing on other festive preparations xxx

Craftyfield said...

Blow me with a sprig of pine... green? bright green at that? That is a surprise from you Alison! It's a beautiful page, glad the smiling lady found her place in the world at last! xx

WendyK said...

Another fabulous page. Love the greenery and the splashes of colour. The colours are happy colours for me, and the lady does look happy to be there. Have a super Christmas.

craftytrog said...

I love that green! A wonderful page Alison!

Julia said...

The fir fronds look real on this page, beautiful greens. That is such a great photograph for a winters page too. Another fabulously arty page. X

Gerrina said...

Thank you for your comment on my wax winterlandscapes! I scrolled a bit through your blogposts and goy inspired...from monday on I'll start Art Journalling again...so thanks for your wonderful winter inspiration!

pearshapedcrafting said...

I do believe its the beautiful green that has made this lovely lady smile!! I love this page Alison! Hugs, Chrisx

Roosterhead Designs said...

Hello Alison,
This is such a fun and festive lay out! Bright and full of texture to keep me interested and looking . . . Love it! Great work with the Gesso and stencils. She certainly is confident and happy! With (I'm sure) lots to smile about~ : ) Yes the vertical pieces (from the trees) are a great addition; bring harmony. Great sentiment too~ Thanks for sharing with us! Best wishes, karen o

Helen said...

I knew I must have missed one! this is gorgeous, love that pop of greenery.

Sue said...

This is gorgeous, the greens are so vivid - this is such a happy page! xx

Cocofolies said...

This page is maybe my favorite Alison... Is it the colors, the sentiment, the beautiful greenery stenciling in the background, the lovely woman image, I don't know.
Your journal is built and kindly blogged for us like a beautiful whole winter story, it is such a lovely book full of dream, love and poetry, thank you!!! xxx