I'm travelling into a new way of working, a new country, a new language, and a new hobby which I'm passionate about. Come with me for some of the journey...

Sunday 9 December 2018

Winter Journal IV

Hello again!   Although there's been a short break in the blogposts here (I gave you most of the weekend off, isn't that kind of me?!) I've managed to squeeze in a bit of playtime in my Winter Journal most days so far, so I'll probably have a double helping for you at some point to make up for it.

Not today though... I thought we'd go for something shorter after the detailed Star Light, Star Bright post.  (I hope you've had a chance to check out my tag trio for A Vintage Journey - we'd love it if you can find the time to play along with us there this month.)  So it's just page 4 today...


We're still in the 8x8 kraft journal (information for those who've missed the pages so far), and still playing with that lovely kraft/white combination.  But for this page I've stuck to my beloved neutrals with no additional colours interfering.






There's music in the air and a touch of romance on this page...  no romance is complete without musical accompaniment, even if it's just you hearing singing when there's no-one there.













This couple are selected from the Darkroom Door Photobooth sheets (they don't seem to be available any longer, sadly).  I love the golden glow of her picture. With her direct gaze, she captures the viewer's attention, which means she becomes our focus, our heroine in the story.














There's some more of the wide washi tape in the background, and over that I stamped and embossed one of Tim's new Christmas backgrounds.















I love the look of the musical notes, echoing the joyous carol printed on one of the pieces of ephemera.














I also love the bubbles of texture in the snowy gesso.  They were initially created by blasting the gesso with the heatgun, and then I added some of the embossing powder and reheated to create even more texture.












That's not just imaginary music in the air... someone's been writing love letters.















There are swirls of thread, and some more acetate film strip ribbon...













... as well as a few more die-cut snowflakes whisking through the air.

Maybe they've just been to see a film, and now they're walking home hand in hand through the snowy streets.













The Idea-ology Small Talk stickers continue to provide the necessary words to fit my pages, and they also keep echoing deeply held thoughts of mine too.














Well, we all have dreams and wishes, don't we?  A winter romance with walks in the in the frosted countryside, a love song lilting in the air, the sparkle of the snow as stars dot the night sky and moonlight lights up the scene... 









Things are making reasonable progress on the Christmas preparation front here, and I'm still managing to fit in my crafting time (as well as my Czech language learning)... so far, so good.  We'll see how we go as December gets into its stride.  For now, thanks so much for stopping by, and I hope you've all been enjoying a lovely weekend. 

Never are voices so beautiful as on a winter's evening, when dusk almost hides the body, and they seem to issue from nothingness with a note of intimacy seldom heard by day.
From Night and Day by Virginia Woolf

I'd like to play along again at Art Journal Journey for Bleubeard and Elizabeth's themes of My Favourite Season/Tis the Season
And it's another Winter Wonderland to share at Try It On Tuesday
Since this page has no added colour, unlike the others so far, I'd like to join in with the Simply Neutrals party over at Apple Apricot
I'd also like to play along at Bastel Traum where the theme is Winter/Christmas
This should be the perfect fit for Anything Goes with an Optional Twist of White over at More Mixed Media

28 comments:

Amanda said...

A Beautiful page Alison with, as usual, a fabulous tale to tell. So glad you're on schedule with Christmas prep I wish I could say the same lol
Love
Amanda X

Helen said...

I thought I was about to have time for some "me" crafting but have a few more cards to make yet... Loving this page, it is gorgeous.

Valerie-Jael said...

Your journal pages are wonderful, so wintry and atmospheric, just beautiful. Thanks for giving us the weekend off, I needed it! And thanks so much for joining us at More Mixed Media, much appreciated. Have a great week, hugs, Valerie

Sue said...

This is so beautiful, I love your neutrals, and the story that you've created for your romantic couple. Have a very happy December, Sue xx

Meggymay said...

A gorgeous and romantic winters page Alison. Beautiful colours and images as always you add so many awesome additions.
Thank you once again for sharing with us at Try it on Tuesdays.
Yvonne xx

Lenie said...

Your photos come to life through the story you tell! It is wonderful Alison!

maria's knutselplezier said...

What an amazing page again, I really love your work Alison, and your story is so nice, I wish you all the best!!
Have a nice winter time!!
Greetings
Maria

Brenda Brown said...

Wonderful textures and details on this lovely page. I love the snowy look to the layout and the gorgeous photos you added (shame they’re not available as I haven’t seen them before) and with the music notes and the carol being sung in my head there is a real festive feel to it. Xxx

Redanne said...

I could just stay here for ages and scroll up and down to see every detail of this beautiful page! I love all the textures, the music notes... everything combines to make this a wonderful wintry scene.. Anne xx

froebelsternchen said...

I LOVE the page and the story to it Alison! Gorgeous textures and so atmospheric and so super to see you linking to Art Journal Journey and Try It On Tuesday! So much appreciated!
Happy new week!
Susi

Paper Profusion said...

Love all the scrummy textures Alison! Wonderful page with fabulous collaging. Nicola x

Lys said...

A lovely story and a beautifully textured snowy scene. I love the embossed background and the soft tones around the couple.

Anne (cornucopia) said...

Gorgeous journal page. I love this. Great artwork.

Meihsia Liu said...

Love love love this gorgeous winter journal page, Alison. The texture and all the embellishments are so fabulous! :)

Craftyfield said...

This would make a lovely scrapbook layout (for personal photos I mean, instead of Darkroom's!). Love the colours scheme, love the snow and all the embellishments!

pearshapedcrafting said...

A truly beautiful page Alison! I love the romance in both your words and pictures as usual! Hugs, Chrisx

Let's Art Journal said...

Beautiful page! I love the snowy wintery feel that you have created - stunning 😁. Thanks so much for joining us at Try it on Tuesday! J 😊 x

Marci said...

A lovely page!

Roosterhead Designs said...

Hello Alison,
There is a truly delightful story hiding in this beautiful page : ) They both are soo intriguing! and have me wondering what is going on here . . . <3 I'm loving the music; some clearly readable and some fading into the pages of their story! (I get lost in it)Beautifully done Alison. Great Gesso work; deep like real snow. Nice work with the double-heat~ love that texture, that look. Tangles of thread and lots of layer and texture! Frosty vintage loveliness~ Thanks for sharing over at Wen's SNT's!! Have a nice rest of the week~ Hugs, karen o

Dorthe said...

Oh I love this too, dear friend, the warmed up gesso looks wonderful, and also so fantastic with the embossed Christmas stamp in the snowy background. The layers of paper , the letters written, so romantic and winter wonderland !!
Dorthe xoxo

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I fear I'm running more than a little late seeing this beauty. I agree there is definitely an air of romance to this journal page. Everything from the heroine to the handwritten letter says poignant and moving. It is another great page in your December journal. Thanks so much for this great entry you created for Art Journal Journey, Alison.

Neet said...

Another extremely atmospheric page - you seem to be able to provide that for us in your work. Something I do not think I could achieve as how I tried.
Lovely page - gorgeous shades, just lovely!
Hugs, Neet x

Kate Yetter said...

I just love the winter accents to this journal cover. One gorgeous piece of art with those vintage pictures.
Kate

AppleApricot Wen said...

Gorgeous work, Alison! I love all the textures and splashes, the beautiful photo booth pictures and the film strip, giving it such a beautiful vintage look, reminding us of the past with fond memories. Thank you for sharing it with us at Simply Neutrals! Big hugs xx

craftytrog said...

A fabulous wintry page Alison xx

Jackie PN said...

I could read your posts and look at your art,all day long Alison!
Each post,I feel like I know the characters and am in a trance with their stories! What a gift you have!
Truly I am enjoying my morning here. Sipping my coffee and playing catch up on your posts! I do believe I will be inspired to head into my art studio when I am finished!")
Thank you for another lovely post and making my morning!
Jackie xx

Lace Age Girl said...

Alison, I love your page. That embossed musical background is exquisite in white, and the overall vintage neutral feel is my favourite style. You have really captured a story here, it's so full of intricate details. I am inspired! Have a wonderful Christmas!
love,
Jesse XX

Sandra Wright. said...

Fabulous textures and beautifully romantic...
Thank you for joining us at More Mixed Media x