I'm travelling into a new way of working, a new country, a new language, and a new hobby which I'm passionate about. Come with me for some of the journey...

Tuesday 18 December 2018

Winter Journal X

Hello all!  Welcome back to another snowy day here at Words and Pictures.  If I can't have snow in real life, then I'll have it in the pages of my Winter Journal!  Unfortunately, thanks to the stinking cold I've caught, there's been a slight slowdown on the crafting front.  Rather than "almost every day", we're down to "most days", but I've made it to page number ten.


What with all the other Christmas things to do, I'm not going to pressure myself too much.  And when my cold goes away, I may well get right back into the swing and keep going right through the winter... we'll see.







For now though, these two independent, original women are ready to deal with anything which comes their way.  (Though in my current state of shiveriness, I do wish they'd put on some nice warm scarves.)

Talking of being ready, this was another page which started itself "the day before". 














Having cut the treeline for my babes in the wood in Winter Journal IX, I suddenly thought that the offcut from the die would make a good stencil, so out came the texture paste...












I'd already scraped the spare texture paste from the star stencil onto the page, and spritzed and "printed" the very last of it too, so in the morning, when I came to the craft table, lots of the work was already done.











Since they were just scrapings, the stars were pretty rough and ready, so I added some stamping to the background with one of my favourite TH festive stamps.

I love that with the Oxide (in Chipped Sapphire) you get to keep your lovely blue ink colour even over a kraft background.











I smeared some Oxide from the ink pad onto the craft mat and used a paintbrush to apply it around my snowy treeline.  This really helps the trees pop, as well as giving me another lovely night sky effect.













I also applied it around and between the intricate design of the Thinlits Snowflake which sets these two women apart from those around them.














They are ready to take on the world, and make the most of any opportunities which come their way.












You probably don't get to sit around at home if you want to make the most of your chances, so there are journeys of all sorts ahead of them...

I hate to hear you talk about all women as if they were fine ladies instead of rational creatures. None of us want to be in calm waters all our lives.
From Persuasion by Jane Austen

The most courageous act is still to think for yourself. Aloud.
Coco Chanel





There we are, page ten.  We're within sight of twelve - which is a nice Christmassy sort of number - so I'm sure I'll get that far, at least.  Beyond that, let's just see what turns up on the craft table, eh?  I hope you're all avoiding the winter snuffles, and keeping warm... or else adventuring outside to see what possibilities await!  See you again soon.

I'm playing along again at Art Journal Journey for Bleubeard and Elizabeth's themes of My Favourite Season/Tis the Season
It's Anything Goes at That's Crafty Challenges so I'm joining in over there too
And with those snowy trees and billowing snowdrifts, I have to join in with Anything Goes with an Optional Twist of White over at More Mixed Media


25 comments:

Paper Profusion said...

Great idea with the treeline. Always love reading your stories - good luck to these ladies. Your journal continues fantastically. I do hope you are feeling much better very soon. Nicola x

Lenie said...

This page is so beautiful! You made me buy this blue colour too! I really hope you will feel better soon.

Amanda said...

Another great winter scene in your journal with your chosen colour palette.
I’m fighting that cold off at the moment but I think we all know who is going to win, hope you feel better soon
Love
Amanda x

aussie aNNie said...

LOVE your style Alison, everything I have seen on your blog is so inspiring, beautiful and stylish...
am your latest follower too.xx[aussie aNNie blog] ♥ ♥

My name is Erika. said...

They look like fearless ladies, and fun ladies too. I think they are making the most the winter and enjoying it as much a group of girlfriends would enjoy a day at the beach or shopping. Hugs-Erika

Brenda Brown said...

Oh no not the dreaded cold, I feel for you, we’ve all had it here and poor little Lincoln has has two with a hacking cough since the wedding. I hope you feel better very soon. Your page is delightful, I adore those really textured trees and the beautiful sky. You’re really on a roll with magnificent pages and characters inhabiting them. Looking forward to seeing the next ones. Take care xxx

Neet said...

You just sold me a Chipped Sapphire! Lovely effect and it's all down to you that I am in my Kraft stage. (My next year's "C" cards have been started and they are all Kraft at the moment)
Another beautiful page Alison, and thanks for the link to the snowflakes - gosh you are costing me at the moment, but all in a good cause me thinks.
So sorry to hear you have fallen to the perils of the common cold, does not sound good if you are shivery! You need rest and plenty of fluids so I hope you have time to look after yourself. If I was closer I would come and make drinks for you. Nothing worse than feeling rotten and having to get up and make drinks.
Thanks for a lovely page - Happy Christmas (get well in time)
Hugs, Neet xx

Helen said...

Hope your cold goes very soon! another beautiful page (I am going to track back as I am worried I may have missed a day!) The best snowflakes are texture paste or die cut ones!

froebelsternchen said...

I really hope you will feel better soon dear Alison! This page is so utterly beautiful again! Another fantastic entry for AJJ's Dec. collection made in your unique and artsy style ! Thanks a lot for joining us again !Thank you so very much for your lovely Christmas e-card - much appreciated my dear friend!
Big hugs, Susi

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I was so sorry to read about you being sick. It's no fun to be sick, but at Christmas, it's even worse. I hope you are now on the mend and feeling better. Having the shivers doesn't sound good, so please take care of YOU.

Another wonderful journal entry, Alison. I love how you honored those women and how you elevated them to a status of strength and fortitude. I really MUST get or make texture paste, because your use of it for this spread was not just clever, it was thinking outside the box. Most impressive spread, and the blue background helped sell the story line, too. Thank you beyond belief for sharing so many journal pages with us this month and for using my theme at Art Journal Journey. I am delighted to have met you through this monthly challenge.

aussie aNNie said...

Just popping in to say thanks for visiting my blog and sweet comment.
Yes the snow I do a lot on my Christmas cards and I use Animation Shop programme and paint shop pro to add them in...easy but I occasionally test tutorials for writers of animations and digital creations...hugs.

craftytrog said...

Great use of that tree off-cut Alison! You created a wonderful Winter scene for your ladies.
Hope the cold goes very soon.
Alison xox

Marci said...

I love the blue here and the use of the snowflake behind these ladies! I really like the stamping and I am trying to figure out which stamp you used. I hope your cold goes away soon.

Words and Pictures said...

Hi Marci - it's the little one on the side of Tim's CMS247 Christmas Magic set. And there's a larger version of the same design on CMS207 Christmas Nostalgia. It adds lovely detail for festive backgrounds. Hope you have a great Christmas.
Alison x

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

I feel you!!! So crappy to feel crumby at Christmas. Love your spread... Gorgeous color and love the girls.

Theresa said...

Every page from your journal is such an inspiration. Love how you use things in unexpected ways. Beautiful work. thanks as always for sharing and Merry Merry Christmas.

Meggymay said...

This is another beautiful page, a wonderful snowy tree scene for the background. I quite agree that those lovely ladies should have been wearing a woolen scarf on a winters day.
I hope you feel better soon.
Yvonne xx

Redanne said...

Having this horrible cold has not prevented you from making another glorious page, this one is my favourite so far. I love what you did with the trees and the beautiful snowflake! I do hope you are feeling better by the big day... Anne xx

Gio said...

I love love to bits your Winter album and I hope you get well soon Alison.
I wish you a Happy Festive Season :-)

Roosterhead Designs said...

Hi Alison,
Hope you are already starting to feel better?, and that it's not a 'long' cold. Do take care of yourself~
This is a beautiful page! and I'm calling it your New Years page : )<3
I see it as new beginnings for these two sisters (<--imho,) and the stars mixed with the blue stampings (which is very cool!!) looks like fireworks in the sky to me~
It's gorgeous and I love it! with all its texture and frosty feel. Here in the 'bleak' mid-winter (it looks like January to me) they are ready to face the world; both in calm waters, And some stormy seas! (I liked the Persuasion quote ; ) Hugs and best wishes for a blessed Christmas, karen o

Rike said...

Wonderful background for your Winter Ladys! The cutted out treeline was perfect for a stencil, great idea!
Wish you a nice Christmas time and that you soon feel better!
Rike x

Dorthe said...

Dear Alison, I`m so sorry for you, that you are still fighting a nasty cold, and hope for you, it will be gone for Christmas eve - even it then might fill you with stress, as you write , it is not nice to be half stunned , and without much energy .
Your page is so gorgeous , love how you used the tree outcut as stencil it looks lovely , but the two gals really should wear scarves, lol.
Wishing you a Merry and Healthy Christmas dear friend, and all the best for you 2019 - Hugs, Dorthe

Sue said...

This is such a beauty, I love how the Oxides pop against your snowy background - the texture paste looks amazing here! xx

Jackie PN said...

Another gorgeous page and the use of the die scrap was brilliant! I love that you used up the scrapings and the page turns out as if each step had been carefully measured and thought out- You are a Master of journal pages my friend!(and with so few supplies!)
Jackie xo

Sandra Wright. said...

Wow..another beauty..love,love,love....
Thank you for joining in with our challenge at More Mixed Media x