I'm travelling into a new way of working, a new country, a new language, and a new hobby which I'm passionate about. Come with me for some of the journey...

Tuesday 15 October 2019

A Stowaway Heart

I'm so happy that my October Acorns made all of you happy too!  There will be some more autumnal crafting along soon, but for today I've got a very quick post for you sharing another of my samples for the latest Alison Bomber word stamps launched at PaperArtsy last month.  We're back round to EAB12 Travel & Journeys, and one of those serendipitous pairings of words and pictures which just fell into place.


The colour palette for the Travel & Journeys set was turquoises, blues and purples, the colours of sea voyages and misty far horizons.  And the stamps from Scrapcosy's ESC11 were a shoo in for the ideas in this collection of words, and especially apt for this particular quote.






I started by doing some of my water brayering over the whole tag with a combination of Summer Sky, Smurf, Periwinkle and Forget-me-not Fresco Finish Acrylic Chalk Paints (quite a mouthful - we usually just call them Frescos around here!).

Then, for once in a blue moon, I actually did some measuring of how far up the tag the horizon line needed to come, before sweeping on a watery wash of Aquamarine with a wide brush.  I love how the earlier paint layers add variations in colour to the watery depths.












I stamped the ships sailing out of the bay using the stamp platform, so that I'd be able to give their sails a touch of Cloud 9 white and then re-stamp to retrieve the details.












The compass stamp leans in from the corner to fill up the space left as the cliffs fall away.   And the lovely map script adds extra detail.

All the stamping is done in Watering Can Archival, but for the script I swept the ink on to the stamp rather than patting it, which gives you a much softer shade (almost like a secondary stamping).













And then, of course, there are the words.  They're stamped in Jet Black Archival (a rare ink colour around here!) and then clear-embossed.













There's nothing quite like that beautiful light-catching gleam, and the tiny touch of dimension to give the words a really special look.








Some simple white twine and a white matted border and the wind is fair for making our escape... see, I didn't keep you long, did I?  Thanks so much for stopping by today and I'll see you again soon.

I must go down to the seas again, to the lonely sea and the sky,
And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by...
From Sea Fever by John Masefield (one of my favourite poems, best spoken out loud, and perfect to go with this stamp set)

21 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

Wonderful tag, so serene and calming. Hugs, Valerie

Roosterhead Designs said...

Simply beautiful tag Alison! The color-mix is soft and as Val said; serene and calm. Nice work on the horizon! and shadowing~
I esp like the clear emboss on the dark word stamping~ Such a lovely scene here~ I have been away for a bit and need to catch up here on your beautiful blog! Hugs, karen o

Helen said...

What a beautiful tag! it makes me want to sail away somewhere!

My name is Erika. said...

Oh I wish it was still boating season here. Love the view and I like your technique to get white sails and details too. Great tag Alison! Hugs-Erika

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

What immediately struck me when I saw this beauty was how realistic the sky looked. Granted, the water is incredible, but that sky is AMAZING. The second thing that I noticed was at one time I had checks (who writes paper checks anymore?) that reminded me of the compass and the map script. It was almost uncanny. All in all, this is one incredible scene. It was even better when you added your quote stamp!

Redanne said...

I do love anything to do with the sea, so this tag is right up my street. I love the cool blues, the sentiment is wonderful and I do love the compass - such a perfect addition. Anne xx

ginag said...

Oh Alison, you have beautifully carried my heart away! Stunning assembly!

Let's Art Journal said...

A beautiful tag! The Frescos look amazing with the stamps that you used and the way the light captures the wording is perfect 😁. I enjoyed reading the poem Sea Fever too, the imagery it conjures up is amazing! Wishing you a wonderful week! Hugs, Jo x

Annie said...

A perfect combination Alison x Your quote stamps sit perfectly with these gorgeous Scrapcosy stamps x Love the tag x


Huge hugs Annie xx

hazel said...

This is such a beautiful tag Alison, everything about it is perfect.
xxx Hazel.

Margaret Mifsud said...

Once again you have created the most gorgeous background Alison! Top that off with the fabulous stamps and quotes and we have an absolutely stunning tag!! Loooove this!! hugs x

Craftyfield said...

Love the colours, love the stamps, fab tag, Alison! x

Marci said...

So pretty and great stamps!

Evelyn Walter said...

Love this tag! The quotes are wonderful!
Evelyn xxx

craftytrog said...

Simply beautiful!!! x

Sue said...

This is beautiful, you always find just the right words to go with the images, and the colours are just perfect! xx

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

These images are so soothing and beautiful and of course the sentiments are an excellent finishing touch. Happy creative week, Angela xXx

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

What a gorgeous scene...I can hear the waves lapping against the sides of the ship! LOVE the ships, and the saying of course perfect!

Neet said...

Oh Alison you have captured a misty ocean scene here in your tag. I love this water brayering that you are doing and the colours you chose are just perfect. This tag is just simply beautiful, very atmospheric with a wonderful quote. I love the addition of the compass stamp and the lovely script. Beautiful misty quality.
Hugs, neet xx

Anke said...

WOW so adorable, Alison. I love your tag ...

Hugs
Anke

pearshapedcrafting said...

A wonderful combination of words and pictures (natch) on this beautiful tag! Chrisx