I'm travelling into a new way of working, a new country, a new language, and a new hobby which I'm passionate about. Come with me for some of the journey...

Sunday 13 January 2019

Ivy Girl







Hello all, and welcome.  Thanks for stopping by today.  After the retrospective, we're moving forwards again, if a little slowly.

I'm in that weird January hibernation phase... sluggish mojo, general sleepiness, and procrastination over the tax return which needs doing.

But I forced myself into the craft room today, which resulted in one complete failure and then there's this tag which I wasn't sure about, but seems to be growing on me.

I was going to call the post "Be fearless" or "Adventure Awaits", but the photo folder is called simply "Ivy Girl", and I decided I liked the simplicity of that better to go with this simple tag.
















The background is a piece of Tim Holtz paper which I softened with some white chalk paint.  You can see the lovely stony effect this gave me compared to the original.















Ivy has always played a big part here at Words and Pictures - very often as the real, living background to my photos.

Sadly, in the dull and damp weather of these winter months I haven't managed as many outdoor photos as I'd like, so I've had to put the ivy on the tag instead.











The Distress Stain-dyed card was left over from some of the pages in my Winter Journal (VIII and XII if you're curious).

According to my notes in those posts, it's a combination of Peeled Paint, Iced Spruce and Evergreen Bough - lots of holiday greenery names, but it'll do for ivy too.  You can still just see some of the background script through the layers.












The girl is from a new packet of Christmas Paper Dolls.  I used up a lot of the wintry dolls in my Winter Journal, so I grabbed some fresh supplies in the sales, and this new selection has some I've not seen before.  I love her!















The words are a continuation of the positivity from the journal - preparing me for the changes ahead in the coming year.












I borrowed some of the other journal ingredients too - the tangled thread and the dark washi tape for her to stand on.

In fact, I may stick her in to the journal on a page of her own... I'll see how that feels.











There's some Vintage Photo-dyed crinkle ribbon tied up with fine twine at the top...













... and a paint-altered Muse Token at the foot of the tag.  And there are also some butterflies' wings - the butterfly being a symbol of transformation - stamped in Watering Can Archival.

And that's pretty much your lot for now.  I simply must knuckle down to the tax return next, so you won't see me for a couple of days.  Wish me luck!  Thanks so much for your visit, and I'll see you again soon.








The purpose of life, after all, is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experience.
Eleanor Roosevelt

I'd like to join in at the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge where they'd like us to Use Something New - my Paper Doll is part of a new (to me) collection, and this is also the first inking up for any of the butterflies from Tim's Flutter stamp set
At Try It On Tuesday they're looking for Something Old, Something New - so the new things are as above, the Paper Doll and the Flutter butterfly, and there's also plenty that's old - the ivy die, the crinkle ribbon and the design paper which, like all my paper, has been waiting to be used forever!

30 comments:

Monika Gulyas said...

If you are not sure about this tag, then I can assure you , dear Alison, this tag is a piece of art, so beautiful!!! Big hugs

Valerie-Jael said...

Your tag is wonderful, love the cool colours and style. Valerie

Helen said...

I love this tag, it's a hit for me.. Ivy girl looks very snug on her background.

Missed it yesterday as I have a bad head cold and was feeling sorry for myself!

Brenda Brown said...

A delightful feast for the eyes this Monday morning, like you I tend to hibernate this time of the year but my spirit has been uplifted as I notice the days getting longer. I guess a Skype day would help us?
The beautiful mottled background is perfect for the ivy and pretty girl who looks as though she is waiting for that adventure in the snow. Is this a premonition of what is to come?
Have a great week and get that tax form out of the way, you know you’ll feel so much better for it. Huge hugs xxx

Jennie Atkinson said...

A fabulous tag all round Alison - just perfect for a January day (it is snowing here!). Yes like you (and Brenda!) I have been rather sluggish these last few weeks and can't wait for some brighter days to get going again. Keep playing .... I always love seeing your wonderful tags. Jennie x (PS good luck with the tax form !)

Meggymay said...

A gorgeous tag Alison, it has all the additions that show your flair in making these vintage style tags.
Thank you for liking up with us at Try it on Tuesdays as well.
Yvonne xx

Annie said...

A beautiful tag Alison and I love the background with the painty layers and splatters, coupled with the ivy and doll x she will look amazing in your journal x TFS and Best Wishes
Annie xx

My name is Erika. said...

I am glad to hear someone else is going through the hibernation mode. I think the slow down has recharged your creativity though. Love he tag. Hugs-Erika

froebelsternchen said...

Hibernation mode is good - when it is good for bears it must be good for crafters as well...lol! I love your wonderful tag! Simply AMAZING!!! Thank you for joining us over at Try It On Tuesday! Happy new week! Susi

Patty O'Malley said...

Beautiful tag, Alison! I absolutely love it! Unlike most people, I feel energized in the winter. It's the summer months that make me feel sluggish and counting the days to cooler weather.

Dorthe said...

She surely is so lovely, and the whole tag stole my heart at once, seeing it , Alison. The ivy behind her looks wonderful with all the snow whirling around , and the affirmation fits right in , with her fearless look . Hugs, Dorthe

Sandra said...

Such a stunning tag, Alison! Love the cute wintery girl and the snowflakes. The ivy is lovely. Thank you so much for joining us at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge. Hugs, Sandra

craftytrog said...

It's a gorgeous little tag Alison!
Hoping to get back in my craft room tomorrow after a too long break.
Alison xx

pearshapedcrafting said...

Ivy Girl is looking ready for an adventure and I hope that all your big changes this year go well too! I would love to hibernate on these grey days but we seem to have been out more than in most days! I am so pleased to have had a catch up here this evening! Thank you so much for joining us at Try It On Tuesday! Good luck with the tax return! Hugs, Chrisx

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

Your paper doll is sharing the importance of the Ivy for you Alison and she appears more than happy to share it's significance. The muted background is a favoured technique for me as it tests the eye making it work hard to see what lies beneath and discover beauty.
January is a mixed month for me and is one of the reasons resolutions are rarely made.
Wishing you all the best and happiness in your new chapter Alison, i'm looking forward to seeing how your new adventure inspires your creations.
Creative wishes Tracey xx

Let's Art Journal said...

Beautiful Ivy Doll tag! I love how you created the stone effect with the chalk paint and your new butterfly stamp is so pretty too. Your paper doll looks so at home against the background of ivy - wonderful 😁. Taking photos outside is a challenge this time of year, I'm finding when there is any bit of sunshine that I'm running outside taking photos of my journal pages ...lol 😉. Wishing you much happiness and have a great day! J 😊 x

Let's Art Journal said...

... also thanks so much for joining us at Try it on Tuesday! Jo x

Lys said...

This beautiful tag would take place in your journal indeed... great idea to welcome the ivy in during these dull days of winter! Nature is always a resourceful link when inspiration fades, I should apply this to me ;)

maria's knutselplezier said...

wow, this is such a lovely tag, I love the colours and the lay)out, and of course the beautifull little girl in front with the other embellischments , love it!!!

HAve a great time
MAria

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I'm not quite sure how I missed this beautiful tag, Alison, but it is truly a gem. You may not have been able to take photos of Ivy, but the ivy on your tag is well worth the substitution.

I love the snowy effects, the new TH paper doll with her muff (goodness, and I thought I had them all), and of course the way you used the washi tape for her to stand on.

sarascloset said...

Alison, what a treat this morning! I am loving your choice of the paper dolls on this beautiful wintry tag--she is my favorite of all time. I've already used mine, but forgot to post the Christmas card. Doh! Perhaps I'll save the post for next year's slow weeks. Your whitewashed background is lovely with the ivy, bundled string and washi tape ground and topped off perfectly with a wisp of ribbon, inspiring words and that sweet butterfly. Everything you create is just gorgeous, so I can't imagine there was a craft room fail just moments before this. Good luck on the tax form; that and the college forms are weighing heavily in the office. Sending hugs!

Sue said...

This is such a beauty Alison, and I know what you mean about January - it's a bit of a 'meh' month for me too! xx

Redanne said...

She truly is a beauty Alison and you have surrounded her with such a wonderful wintry background. I hope by now you have finished that pesky tax return and can enjoy some crafty time this week. Anne x

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

Love the softened background from the paper... Super gorgeous tag!!!

Cath Wilson said...

It may be a simple tag but it's filled with scrummy detail, which makes it so much more enjoyable. Lovely.

Thanks for sharing with Try it on Tuesday this week.

Cath x

Rosie said...

Just wonderful.

Thank you for joining us at TRY IT ON TUESDAY

rachel said...

Oh Alison - I have missed popping over here - your work is always so gentle and beautiful. I adore your young lady and the splats are just perfect! Beautiful work - I will try to get over more often - apologies for being such a bad blogger! Big hugs Rachel xx

Craftyfield said...

Your tag is lovely, the doll is perfect! I feel the same in January, with lots of uncompleted projects lying around for lack of inspiration/mojo/get up and go! I'm hoping this will stop imminently as I have lots to do...

Neet said...

Just wish I could produce work half as good as this when I am feeling sluggish - or even on top form.
I love this tag Alison, you have the knack of making your winter work look just that. You seem to have the right technique for 'flicking' white paint on your work.
Again you have captured that misty quality that I so love in your work and with the addition of those green ivy leaves it makers the young girl appear framed on this tag.
Hugs, Neet xx

Mrs.B said...

A beautiful tag Alison, the background has such a wintry look to it especially with the splats on the ivy, just perfect for this Paper doll.
Thanks for sharing with us at Try it on Tuesday
Avril x