I'm travelling into a new way of working, a new country, a new language, and a new hobby which I'm passionate about. Come with me for some of the journey...

Thursday 18 April 2013

Wonderful Journey



Hello all and welcome all... I'm sorry I've not been hopping around with my usual tireless energy recently - I hope to do some catching up over the next few days.


For now, though, I'm here - slightly late - to share the news that there's a new challenge just begun over at eclectic Paperie.  


It's another of our eteam Picks and our hostess, the fabulous Sherry Cheever, has selected Flowers as the theme... that's right: stamped, dimensional, die-cut, it's entirely up to you - just include some Flowers and you're good to go (all the challenge details are here in case you want the small print)!


Well, it's eP, and it's flowers - you can probably guess that I'm going to head for my favourite Unity Donna Downey giant hedgerow stems, right?  And I've got some leaves into the bargain.


I've a tag to share that really was a fairly wonderful journey, though really the title is taken from the words to be found on the tag - a thought I definitely try to live by.  And this tag is far from perfect, but I really did enjoy the journey - I'll leave it to you to decide the rest!











The background is a reverse leftover from some Gelli plate printing.  I learned the lesson when one of my favourite Gelli results so far ended up on my craft mat after I laid down a stencil there after using it on the plate.  Lesson learned: now I always make sure I've got tags and more paper handy to receive the painty stencils!


So when I was playing with my lovely Crafter's Workshop Mini Ferns on the Gelli plate, I made sure I had a jumbo tag onto which to "print" the reverse side after I'd peeled it off.  It makes the most of the paint, obviously, too - less wastage - which we like!  


I dabbed the top and bottom edges of the tag onto the plate to get some paint there too (since the tag is longer than the six inch height of my stencil and plate).

I used Fresco paints for my prints, but I've suggested some Dabber colours below which would be similar.









Once it was dry, I thought I'd have a go at blending some Distress Inks over the top (lots of
colours - see the recipe list at the foot of the post!) and I do like the effect I ended up with.  

There's a kind of dappled look to it where the ink really takes on the card beneath whilst being slightly resisted by the paint.  And that's what gives the leaves that glow, I think - pure inky translucency in the midst of opaque paint.









But it was the spritzing and flicking I did next that really made the background come to life for me.  I've fallen in love with this sequence of techniques - you'll certainly see it again!


















Then it was time for some stamping...  First of all the Delicate Flowers by Unity in Olive Archival.
















Then a sentiment from the brilliant new wordy release by Tim Holtz and Stampers Anonymous, Way With Words.







For this, I inked up the stamp with several inks - Memento Teal Zeal, DIs Peeled Paint and Mowed Lawn - and then embossed it with the Ranger SuperFine clear embossing powder.  I do love a bit of multi-coloured text-y embossing, glistening on a background!





I cut the phrase "enjoy the journey" from the Stacked Artful Words Decorative Strip Die using some kraft-core cardstock, and gave it a light sandpapering to reveal the krafty core ("it does exactly what it says on the tin" - sorry, that may be a baffling reference for those not in the UK).





But I then inked it with some Peeled Paint DI, so that it would tone in better with the colours of the tag, and of course that "took" best in the sanded areas.  So now the words have a lovely green tinge to the distressing which I like a lot.









Crinkle ribbon dyed with Distress Stains finishes things off at the top of the tag - one that I had no plans for as I set out, but I so enjoyed playing.  That I love the destination is simply a bonus on top of that...

Thank you so much for your company today - I value each and every visit and comment and, as I say, I'll be re-immersing myself in Craftyblogland over the next few days - I'll see you out there!

Do come and play along in the Flowers challenge this fortnight at eclectic Paperie.  You'll find more inspiration from Sherry and the rest of the DT over at the blog, and if you fancy playing with any of the ingredients I've used here, just click on the links below to go straight to them.




I'm entering this in the following:
The Inspiration Journal are using Marvellous Masks and Spectacular Stencils
Crafty Creations are playing No Patterned Papers this week

In honour of the dappling, both on the tag and in the sunlight today, I'm adding one of my favourite poems because it's all about dappled things.  Don't worry about meaning... speak it out loud to yourself and enjoy the pictures and the taste of it!

GLORY be to God for dappled things—
  For skies of couple-colour as a brinded cow;
    For rose-moles all in stipple upon trout that swim;
Fresh-firecoal chestnut-falls; finches’ wings;
  Landscape plotted and pieced—fold, fallow, and plough;
    And áll trádes, their gear and tackle and trim.

All things counter, original, spare, strange;
  Whatever is fickle, freckled (who knows how?)
    With swift, slow; sweet, sour; adazzle, dim;
He fathers-forth whose beauty is past change:  
                  Praise him.
Gerald Manley Hopkins


68 comments:

Jennie Atkinson said...

Wow - blown away!! The colours are just fabulous. I've been looking at all the DIs and paints you used - what a fabulous combination. I want them all now! And the fern from the gelli plate is just stunning.

Off to see the challenge site as I can never resist anything with flowers!

Annie said...

Hi Alison x fantastic tag. Love the colours and the floral stamp is amazing. Great use of the die too.
Have not yet tried a gelli plate it's on my wish list as my piggy bank needs replenished!!

TFS
Crafty hugs Annie x

junemac2 said...

what a great theme and your tag is stunning. beautiful colours for spring
hugs June xxx

Carol Q said...

beeeooootiful tag Alison. between you and Tracy, you are keeping me very happy constantly using my favourite blue and green colour combo. love the depth you've created with the tag and the shadows on your photos deepen the dimension even more.

Helen said...

Alison, this is stunning! I love the colours and all those flower stamps. Gorgeous!!

Anonymous said...

Lovely depth and that beautiful mottled effect and I do so like the sentiment you have added.
Beautiful!
Wishes
Lynne

Redanne said...

You have used the most wonderfully uplifting colours in your gorgeous tag Alison. I love the dappled ink technique and of course the spritz and flick technique too. The embossing and die cut sentiment are perfect finishing touches. Hugs, Anne x

sam21ski said...

Ooooh I love the colours and the background is stunning and it's great to see some sun!!!

Sam xxx

Silvia(Barnie) said...

A wonderful tag, love love love the background and the stamping.

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

Gorgeos tag Alison, love the multi coloured text and embossing. The ferns look gorgeous in the background. Beautiful colours. Tracy x

Anonymous said...

Fabulous tag Alison ! I love the Gelli background and the colours are gorgeous ! Sue C x

Rita said...

Gorgeous tag Alison. I adore all the techniques you have used and the lovely vibrant colours. Hugs Rita xxx

Alie Hoogenboezem-de Vries said...

A great background Alison! Gorgeous colours and stencils..You've made a great creation out of it! Pin!!

kind regards, Alie :-)

Terry said...

I was going to send you a PM yesterday to ask if you ever did get your crafty little hands on a gelli plate! So how do you like it?? Obviously your art does! Love the reverse fern print on the background! Stunning tag and so inviting of a lovely Spring day! Hugs!

Julia said...

Splendid artwork Alison, so many techniques ion that tag and the end result is quite exceptional.

Netty said...

Loving the theme and the beautiful background Alison. Hugs Annette x

House of Bears said...

Ooh what lovely colours, and such a great theme which of course, as usual, you've done beautifully. We might just have a project for this challenge....

Debi said...

Another gorgeous background and tag, just love these stamps and colours, debi x

Amanda said...

Another fabby tag! I love this colour combo it all looks so fresh.
Love
Amanda x

craftimamma said...

A stunning tag Alison! The colours are just beautiful and you've given me another reason to give in to the lure of the Gelli Plate, lol! Beautiful wild flower images too.

Hugs
Lesley Xx

Sarah said...

I love it! Love the layers, the techniques, the colors , the feeling of depth...I like it all!

Keren Tamir said...

I just absolutely love this background!! wow I just love it!!

Micki said...

Oh girl, your tag is beautiful. I've got to get my gelli plate out and use my stencils with it. I absolutely love the colors and I love how you paired the stamp with the gelli print. My tag doesn't even come close :-).

Unknown said...

This is just stunning..so many gorgeous techniques going on here, love it!!

Nan G said...

Oh Alison, so beautiful! Love when you stretch and use colors! I absolutely love this stamp and am off to get it.

barbarayaya62 said...

Wonderful tag! Love the words embossed! BArbarayaya

Inkypinkycraft said...

Thisis another beauty , the colours are beautiful and I love the painty and inky layers. The sentiment looks great clear embossed and I lovethe softness ofthe background against the crisp image . Hope to get time to play hugs trace x

maria's knutselplezier said...

What a wonderful tag, I love the background very much, love the colors and image, thanks for giving us the good look of how to make it!!!

Greetings
Maria

Brenda Brown said...

A beautiful monochromatic tag Alison, the depth created is superb and I love the ferns and flowers.
Hugs {brenda} x0x

chrissie said...

Fabulous tag and the Spring colours made me jump for joy.

Love Chrissie xx

Deborah said...

I always try and flip the stencil and often prefer the result (like second pulls on the gelli plate. Your tag has a beautiful after the rain feel to me - lovely.

Astrid Maclean said...

Another stunning tag Alison, I am so in love with those DD stamps and you use them so well always. Gorgeous Spring colours too.

Like you I am way behind with doing the rounds, 4 days without internet has left me with loads of catching up....

Cestina said...

Lovely peaceful tag - and the poem is fantastic. Thank you

brenda said...

A fabulous fusion of colours Alison. I can see a Gelli plate is going to be a need item.

B x

craftytrog said...

Your tag is so beautiful Alison! I love those fresco blues and greens!
Alison xx

Hettie said...

Wowzer Alison. Love the natural looking tag here and the colours are awesome.
I was hoping to buy a gelli plate at AP last week, but I want a 12" for scrapbooking, but could not find one. However, after seeing how much a smaller one is I guess I will have to save my pennies for now!
Hugs
xx

Candy C said...

Alison...oh my word! This tag is simply gorgeous. I absolutely love your background. You are right ... those gorgeous fern leaves really do appear to have an iridescent glow about them as a result of the resist. That looks amazing! I also love you stamped and embossed sentiment...so pretty. The Unity foliage that you've randomly stamped on the background really gives a nice depth to your tag and they are such lovely images. I love your dyed ribbon at the to as well...perfect match! Your work just blows me away...everything is always so well thought out and so perfectly executed. I'm a huge fan of your work, can you tell? :) Thank you, too, for the kind words you left on my blog. I am honored that you think so much of my work. And yes...after I read your comment, I could see the peep shows down at the peer out of my background! Loved that! Very creative imagination! haha <3 Candy

Dianne said...

Well my dear I see you hopping everywhere,your talent is endless, a delight for all of us to enjoy. You always take me a fantastic journey when I visit, it always get me soooo excited:):).On to the tag, I knew you would for the hedgerow stems yippee.The background WOW stunning all that spritzing and flicking which I haven't tried yet:)and those fern leaves all fantastic. I love the kraft-core cardstock, love the texture.Wonderful stamping, love the embossed one.The ribbon is perfect with it.I love the poem you added it is perfect. Thanks sweety for always taking me on a Fantastic Journey there every time I come to visit. Have a wonderful weekend and a big hello to your Mom too...

Chris said...

Fantastic tag Alison and such beautiful results from your gelli printing stencil. The fern really does look iridescent and I think the stencil and colours gorgeous too. Chris x

Starla said...

Love this tag!The colors are fabulous!

Annette Green said...

Another fabulous creation Alison! Love the colors, the depth, the texture, and especially that fern in the background. I must get a gelli plate! Beautiful!

Matilde said...

WOW! It's stunning!

Tracy said...

Alison..woohoohoo..totally stunning..Love that stamp too..so delicate..your work just leaves me with my mouth hanging open,lol!!
Hugs
Tracy
xoxox
Psst enjoyed the poem too.

Jenny Marples said...

Love that background with the ferns and the way it looks like you are looking up through the wild flower heads. Hugs, Jenny x

Sherry Cheever said...

What a GORGEOUS tag! I love the background that you started with . . . just fabulous!

Teresa Jaye said...

oh, Alison, this is so stunning I am speechless! The colors and depth you've achieved are completely amazing.

Gwen said...

This is a gorgeous tag! Love the colors.....and pretty much everything about it! :)

Neet said...

Well Alison, I sure enjoyed my journey through this blog entry. Beautiful.
Hugs, Neet xx

Janny Jager said...

Fantastic tag Alison with a great background and colors.
Greetings Janny

Lucy Edmondson said...

Beautiful; love the layers of background and the greeny shades,

Lucy x

Anjas-Artefaktotum said...

Really gorgeous, love the background and the stamping is fabulous too. Thanks for sharing the detail photos. Great art work!
Hugs Anja

Marjie Kemper said...

This is soooooo beautiful! Love the background and the contrast between the embossed stamping and the dry words. Stunning!

Gillian .... said...

Such a beautiful colour combo, perfect with these images, fab make as always Alison. xx

Anonymous said...

Stunning tag Alison. Fabulous stamping. Love the colours.
Florence xx

Martina said...

Oh Alison, you have again made quite fantastic artwork! Really adorable!

Have a nice sunday!

Unknown said...

The layers are always stunning on your projects and this one is no exception Alison. I love the colors too! Hugs

Mrs.B said...

What a Beautiful background, haven't tried the Gelli Plate, but the effect
looks fabulous.
Avril xx

Sue said...

Absolutely wonderful Alison from the fern background to the clear embossing and choice of colours. I love it all!! x

Broni said...

This is truly gorgeous, Alison! And it's in my very favorite color combo! Perfect!

Bonnie Irvine said...

The depth of colours from all of the layers of goodness is remarkable. I love both the combination of products and colours. beautiful use of the gelli plate and the lovely stamps. Yum!

Kezzy said...

I was completely wowed with this tag when I saw it a few days ago. Completely stunning and the background is awesome. Happy Crafting :-) Kezzy xxx

Dorrie said...

Love this tag, enjoyed looking how you built up the layers. Thanks

Anke said...

Absolutely stunning, fantastic tag.

Hugs
Anke

Unknown said...

How beautiful this is. I love the blend of colours and the choice of stamp, gorgeous. The poem's not bad either [g]. Chris xxx

Mary said...

WOW!!! You demonstrated how creative you can be using paper. This is just amazing. Thanks for joining us last week at Crafty Creations. I hope you get to join us again real soon!

Kim said...

Beautiful, Alison! I adore your color pallette and those flower stamps...swoon...love 'em!

Anonymous said...

Like, WOW, Alison! Your tag is so spring-y! The green all over is just wonderful!
Thanks for the tip regarding stencils and the Gelli plate, I have yet to use mine but I'll make sure to have some large tags/card stock handy! Cheers!!

Thanks for crafting with us in the Marvelous Masks and Spectacular Stencils Challenge at Inspiration Emporium!!

Hugs

Spike

Anonymous said...

Like, WOW, Alison! Your tag is so spring-y! The green all over is just wonderful!
Thanks for the tip regarding stencils and the Gelli plate, I have yet to use mine but I'll make sure to have some large tags/card stock handy! Cheers!!

Thanks for crafting with us in the Marvelous Masks and Spectacular Stencils Challenge at Inspiration Emporium!!

Hugs

Spike