I'm travelling into a new way of working, a new country, a new language, and a new hobby which I'm passionate about. Come with me for some of the journey...

Saturday 6 April 2013

What we hold on to...

Hello everyone, I'm here with a double whammy DT post today, showcasing Artistic Outpost stamps with a whole lot of eclectic Paperie goodies in the mix too!  You'll find product links within and at the foot of the post as usual.

I'll be sharing a detailed "how-I-got-there" over on the eclectic Paperie blog on Monday, so I'll do my level best to keep this from War and Peace lengthiness...  Here's my tag trio: What We Hold On To.



The main images are from the Generation Redux and Think and Wonder sets... there's something about these two sets that touches me deeply.  

I've used these (to me) sibling pairings as a group before, and their deep connection to one another and direct gaze out to us, the viewers, have such power.













I find the images so inspirational.

What they hold on to is each other, of course, but also the other things indicated in the tags: our work, our knowledge, our creativity.




This trio of tags came about mainly as a result of some playing with Distress Paints - I was a little late to the DP party because of the whole packing and travelling across Europe business.

You'll have seen that they've been creeping into projects here and there, but I thought it was time to sit down and really start to get the measure of them.  You'll see more experiments at eP next week...



This trio uses the Tim Holtz wrinkle-free distress technique - such fun to do it with paints for a change, and the marbling effects you get as a result are pretty cool.

And they're all from one mat of paint... progressively smooshing up less and less paint for a paler and paler effect.









I layered up some stamping in Archival coffee of stamps from the Ephemera Backgrounds and Secretary Pool sets.  The DPs give a great stamping surface, so smooth and yet somehow toothy.













I even did some stamping in DP using one of the texture stamps from the Generation Redux set (like tiny bubble wrap - it matches the effect at the top of the image of the two brothers).










Then some Vintage Photo inking around the edges always zhuzhes things up, I think.  And a little go with the Paper Distresser of course.













I stamped the main images on handmade paper, so there's a texture and life within the paper before you even start.  It may not give the clearest of images, but I like the weathered look of them.












As I was layering them up, I tried to avoid covering up too much of the background - even more so once I decided to add some embossed texture with the Tim Holtz Flourish Texture Fade - so that rather dictated the composition of the elements.




I love the effect of the embossed flourish in with all the layers of paint and ink...

And, in the end, I think the positioning helps with the thought of "What we hold on to", when we're huddled together for strength and protection in times of crisis.







The images are attached with the tiny paperclips from Idea-ology - not glued at all - another way of holding on.

And the other embellishments are mostly by Wendy Vecchi - the heart for love...













... the postmark for the communication we need with others to survive, both given a touch of Weathered Wood Distress Paint.









The little metal clock - from my stash - for the times we spend together - also got some DP; I love them on metal!















I had some trouble with the toppings at first.  I dyed some ribbons but couldn't get them to look right in bows or threaded through each other.  After trying out a number of "meh" options I reverted to my trusty twine to tie it all together.









Thank you so much for stopping by today... I so appreciate every one of your comments, and I'm so happy to have your company for a while whether you comment or not!  Hope you have a wonderful weekend, and I'll see you soon.

The best thing to hold onto in life is each other.
Audrey Hepburn

Memory is a way of holding on to the things you love, the things you are, the things you never want to lose.
Kevin Arnold

All the art of living lies in a fine mingling of letting go and holding on.
Henry Ellis


Click on the link to go straight to the product:





I'd like to enter this in the following:
The Very Strict Challenge over at Simon Says Stamp and Show
Anything But a Card would like to know what we're Inspired By - these AO images fire my creativity time and again
The Bloggers Challenge hosted by the wonderful Lisa Somerville is looking for Backgrounds this week

46 comments:

Tone K. said...

Great tags !! :)
I really like the colors and stamping. Very nice design too :)

Wish you a happy weekend :)

barbarayaya62 said...

Beuatiful tags! The images are fantastic and the bacgkround embossed is fab!!!! BArbarayaya

Claudia N. said...

I always love your colour combinations turning out stunningly beautiful, Alison!

The added texture makes them absolutely stunning projects! Beautiful!!!

Hugs,
Claudia x

Alie Hoogenboezem-de Vries said...

What a great tags, the backgrounds look so interesting Alison! The stamps and embellishments fit zo well on all 3!
PIN! :-)

Kind regards, Alie :-)

Bonnie Irvine said...

These are hauntingly beautiful, Alison. I love the effect of the stamping on handmade paper. It really adds to the vintage feel of these gorgeous stamps. The backgrounds are lovely...amazing depth and texture. Wonderful tags and explanation.

crealinedance said...

Hallo mooie achtergrond gemaakt op je tags.gr.Nel

Carol Q said...

fab Alison. lots of techniques used. I really like the dimension added by the texture fade and the way you've tied the ribbons and bellies at the top of the tags.

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

Lovely tags Alison, love your backgrounds with the paints and added background stamping. The images in brown look fabulous set against the background colour. Love the Wendy Vecchi embellishments and the tiny clock. Tracy x

Fliss said...

Stunningly beautiful tags Alison. Just love those fabulous backgrounds and the images and colours are just gorgeous. Love the tied ribbon embellishing too.
Hugs, Fliss xx

Von said...

Really great tags Alison :) love the colours
Von ♥

Candy C said...

Alison..your tag trio is simply gorgeous. Love the backgrounds and the brown stamped images. You're right...those images are very nostalgic. Thanks for sharing your lovely work with us at Simon Says Stamp and Show. <3 Candy

toni said...

Beautiful trio of tags Alison, love the colours and layers. Great story with the images x

froebelsternchen said...

really gorgeous VINTAGE look Alison!

beautiful!

Redanne said...

Hi Alison, I loved the tags after you had painted the backgrounds so the stamping and embellishments we just bonuses! Love your beautiful tags. Hugs, Anne x

Terry said...

Lovely times three! Beautiful backgrounds for such gorgeous stamps! Love these tags and all the extra little details! Happy Saturday!

ria gall said...

What really pretty tags the colours used are lovely and the depth that has been given to the tags is fab
Ria

Martina said...

This tags are simply gorgeous!!!!
I hope you have spent a good Easter.
Have a nice weekend, my friend.
Hugs MARTINA

Anonymous said...

Rich in colour and texture and yet the images are still so clearly defined, not swallowed up by the background. That does take such skill.
Wishes
Lynne

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

Hi Alison, I forgot to thank you so much for entering your fabulous tags into the Simon Says Stamp and Show Challenge. Thank you. Tracy x x

Yvonne Garner said...

Hi Alison! Love your tag trio. Some of my favorite AO stamp images. Just getting a chance at the paint party myself. Really like how you topped off your tags. Have a great weekend. Yvonne

Amanda said...

Hi Alison, what a fab set of tags really love the colour combo that have used. I don't blame you for not wanting to cover up those lovely backgrounds you have created.
Fab as always
Love
Amanda x

Deborah said...

You were right not to want to cover those backgrounds too much. Sublime.

Dorthe said...

They are wonderful Alison- I love what you did with the T.H. distress paints- they makes amazing backgrounds,-and your stamps and embossing gives a gorgeous result, with the beautiful stamps from Artistic Outpost.
So wonderful tags!
xo,Dorthe

Annie said...

WHat a stunning Trio Alison ! I love the stamps and agree that the siblings gaze is very powerful. Fab background with the DP's you will certainly have fun.

Take Care and thanks for sharing.

Hugs

Annie x

Chrissy said...

I love the background colours Alison, great images and details.

Luv CHRISSYxx

sam21ski said...

Gorgeous trio Alison

The distress paints are fab aren't they, can't wait to add the metallics to my collection!!!

Sam xxx

Jenny Marples said...

Adoring the colours you've used here and the embossing to add even more interest. Yet more award winning work I'd say. Hugs, Jenny x

catherine said...

Love the colours and the images on these tags Alison
x catherine

pearshapedcrafting said...

Ooooh! I've just been catching up with your blogs on a real size screen and I must say you have excelled yourself this week - your atc tags were just stunning! The nature journal is beautiful! I love your clock - who would have thought it was so bright to begin with? As for today's tags I just love the way you used the colours here-nothing like a good smooshing session to start with!! Those images are so right! Chrisx

Astrid Maclean said...

Great looking set of tags Alison and the backgrounds turned out fantastic! The stamps and embellishments really add rather than distract from them! You do write the most entertaining posts, your "meh" attempts had me laugh out loud! Now what language is that? Yiddish???

Marjie Kemper said...

Those tags are so yummy! And amazing details... glad to have a catch up tonight on all your creating!

Inkypinkycraft said...

Gorgeous tags , I lovethe paints too and your layering here is yummy! Great embellishments too hugsvtrace x

chrissie said...

Wonderful tags Alison with some beautiful details to look at. The tops look really fantastic how you have done them

Love Chrissie xx

May said...

Gorgeous tags Alison, Love the colours & beautiful stamping.. The images are perfect! Great work & tutorial as always.. Hugs May x x

Kezzy said...

Wow such a meaningful post and a amazing trio of tags, the colours and embossing is fantastic. Alison I am a fresco paint girl at heart lol, so do I need these distress paints? I am hearing so many brilliant reviews but not sure If to take the plunge lol. Happy Crafting :-) Kezzy xxx

Nan G said...

Wonderful tags, butterfly! Minimally embellished yet so so stunning!

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

Oh the purple! Perfectly Spring! Gorgeous trio Darling! You really are shaking and rocking the AO images so beautifully! Amazing work! Thank you for sharing with our anything goes challenge this week at Simon Says Stamp & Show...no joke!!!

Sandy said...

Really nice Allison - Sometimes I wonder just how many ideas you have swimming around in your brain!
Sandy

Unknown said...

Unusal colour combo but they so work. Fab tags! Chris xxx

Asia King (aka Joanna K) said...

Oh I'm lovin thesr tags! Great colours, fabulous texture, beautiful stamping. Just perfect! xx

Silvia(Barnie) said...

Three wonderful tags in great colors.

Marjie Kemper said...

I've been dying to get over here ever since seeing the peek on FB... the texture and stamping and colors are all fantastique!

Hettie said...

Love your colour combination you have used on these tags. Gorgeous and right up my street! Great tags.
Hugs
xx

http://blog.timetocreate.com.au/ said...

The texture both visual and real that you have achieved on your lovely cards are beautiful Butterfly.
Pretty and springlike! I enjoyed your post. Thank you for joining in over at Anything But A Card too!

MJ's Kraze said...

Lovely. I love everything about these.Thanks for playing along at ABAC.

Julia S-W said...

Gorgeous background layering Alison and you were so right not to cover it all up! The colours are wonderfully subtle, shabby yet somehow elegant all rolled into one. The images will need to go on my wish list - what a story they would tell if they could speak (I think you've done a pretty good job for them though!)
Thank you so much for joining us at Anything But A Card to show us what inspires you.
Juliaxx