I'm travelling into a new way of working, a new country, a new language, and a new hobby which I'm passionate about. Come with me for some of the journey...

Thursday 4 April 2013

Tick Tock

Hallo all!  It's time for a new Get Altered challenge at eclectic Paperie, and our host this time is Erin.  She decided on a Clocks theme, so Altered Clocks it is - on your marks, get set, go!  All the challenge details (as well as more inspiration from Erin and the rest of the team, of course) are here, the prize is a voucher for the eclectic Paperie store, and you have two weeks... tick, tock, the clock is ticking.

I'm very grateful to Erin for picking this theme... her timing couldn't have been better (boom, boom!).  We'd already identified the need for a clock in the dollshouse museum (so that we know how many hours we've been slaving away in there, and when it's time to go home to start slaving at the craft desk!), and were about to start the search for a nice one.

Well, thanks to Erin, all we needed was a cheap clock and my crafty stash - and now we have a bespoke clock, in exactly the right colours.



If you've seen any of the museum posts (either here or at Cestina's Dollshouses), you'll know that all the random furniture shipped over from the UK has been "altered", so that it's all now a very fetching green, and looks as though it all belongs together.

So green was where I headed with my clock, taking my inspiration from one of my favourite makes, the Seed of Happiness hanging.




I guess I should show you a "before" version, so that you can see it was definitely different to start with...

We picked it up for the equivalent of about £2.50 at Kik - cheapy shop here in CZ and while one half quite appealed to me (guess which!), the other half really didn't - so it was time to get altering!!












I started with a painty background, created with Fresco paints and crackle glaze.






I layered in lots of stamping, mainly in Olive Archival, as I need it to stick around a good long while!












Then I used a couple of stencils with various applications...













.... paints, inks, texture paste...













... and even some some Treasure Gold for a touch of gilding, to build up a layered look.









Love how it's turned out, with textures colliding, shifting colours like dappled woodland, and the creeping vine crawling its way out from the centre.










The numbers are mostly cut using the Tim Holtz WordPlay die - all bar one one.

(And, yes, I did mean that... spot the odd one out if you can!  Do you know there are five, yes FIVE, number ones on a clock face?)







I cut them out of Grungeboard, which turned out to be just as well, since I changed my mind a number of times about how they should look... and the Grungeboard will put up with almost any amount of product and procedure without collapsing.


In the end, a simple coat of Picket Fence crackle paint seemed to work best against the background.





I also did some gilding around the edges, bringing a little more definition and distressing to the whole thing.


So that's my altered clock - nothing hugely inventive about it, just an alteration of a not-very-lovely object to one that will be in daily use and offer - I believe - beauty as well as usefulness; William Morris would be proud of me (see the quote below)!

There have been so many amazing entries in the last few challenges... I hope that you'll find time to play along with our Altered Clocks theme - can't wait to see what you come up with.

Have nothing in your house (or museum) that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful.
William Morris

Work is a necessity for man. Man invented the alarm clock.
Pablo Picasso

A mouse trap, placed on top of your alarm clock, will prevent you from rolling over and going back to sleep after you hit the snooze button.
Anonymous


I would like to enter this in the following:
At the Inspiration Journal they are playing with Marvellous Masks and Spectacular Stencils this month
At Simon Says Stamp and Show they are having A Very Strict Challenge

Some of what I used came from my stash, but you could create something very similar using these products:



62 comments:

Astrid Maclean said...

Ooooh I totally and utterly LOVE this!!! Stunning with a big S, = love everything about it, the colours, the stenciling the crackle effect, - I could go on and on. Do you get that I like this clock? I bet it will look amazing in the museum! I also think I may have to steal this idea....

barbarayaya62 said...

The crackle effect and the background are stunning! You're the queen of this effect!

Brenda Brown said...

You really have rocked this theme Alison, techniques, textures, colour all beautifully combined to make this a clock anyone would love to have on the wall. Love it.
Hugs Brenda xox

maria's knutselplezier said...

Wow this clock is yust wonderfull, I really love every detail of it, amazing ART work!!

Greetings
Maria

froebelsternchen said...

this is a wonderful ALTERING Alison!
the vintage feeling .. and subtile look makes it unique!

happy day to you in CZ...
I realized that you a really there.. thought always you are in UK .. wondered as you once wrote from : here in CZ....LOL!!
I am just 9 km to the border to CZ
living very close to
<a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C4%8Cesk%C3%A9_Velenice>Ceske Velenice</a>

in the "Waldviertel" (Forest Quarter) the northwestern region of Lower Austria.

xxx Susi

Helen said...

SO glad you covered those stripes!!! I agree with the others, this is absolutely fantastic, totally beautiful, I love it. In fact I may have to try and alter a clock of my own, (soon....) I am so taken with it.

Amanda said...

Alison lovely as always, how relaxing those colours are that you have chosen.
Love Amanda x

Redanne said...

Hi Alison, that William Morris quote could have been written specifically for your clock! Love what you did with the clock, so much texture, the wonderful crackling and the fabulous numbers - great choice in colour too. Hugs, Anne x

chrissie said...

Wonderful ideas for your 'new' clock Alison. It will look amazing in place and really catch the eye.

Love Chrissie xx

toni said...

Ha ha ! Wait till you see the clock I started of with definitely the same manufacturer , love what you've acheived with yours gorgeous delicate layers of colour and texture, going back for a closer look hope all is going well x

Hettie said...

What a wonderful job you have made with this.....a Czech Tock! Brilliant Alison.
Hugs
x

Sophie said...

Liebe Alison,
das ist wieder ein richtiges Meisterwerk von dir.
Was für eine fantastische Idee!
Die Uhr ist wunderschön, ein tolles Werk, die würde ich mir sofort an die Wand hängen.

Sophie xx

Dawn Ruth said...

This is fabulous

Evil Edna said...

wonderful you have a clock Cinderella! EE

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

What a transformation Alison, gorgeous. Love the colours and texture and stamping. The crackled numbers are gorgeous. The whole design is gorgeous, love it. Tracy x

Silvia(Barnie) said...

Wow, that's a gorgeous project, a fabulous altered clock.

Bonnie Irvine said...

Your altered clock is beautiful. I love that you transformed it from modern and slightly jarring to this gorgeous vintage beauty with amazing texture. The background is a delight and the numbers are not just functional but a wonderful element. Just lovely, Alison!

Nan G said...

Oh so lovely! All the inky layering and texture....just so cool! Your colors tie everything together making for one beautiful altered clock!

Candy C said...

LOVE your made over clock! Girl, you have got it going on when it comes to creativity! This new and improved clock is brilliant! Thanks for sharing your always wonderful art with us at Simon Says Stamp and Show. <3 Candy

Kim said...

Wow...this is a stunning transformation! Simply beautiful, Alison!!

Teresa Jaye said...

oh.my.goodness Alison, this is completely gorgeous. The greens and creams are so beautiful together and the dimension created with the stencils is stunning.

ria gall said...

Hi Alison
what a fantastic transformation I love what you have done with the clock background it would look great hanging on anyones wall, I really love this piece.
Ria

Asia King (aka Joanna K) said...

Stunning clock Alison, I love the colours and the crackle and the chicken wire :). Fantastic work as always! xx

Colleen said...

Alison,
What a beautiful clock and I love all the layers!

Karen McAlpine said...

Love the way you painted and decorated this clock! You really transformed it into a beauty!!!

Dagmar said...

wow wow wow - a great work - such a fabulous altered clock.

craftytrog said...

A fabulous transformation into a truly stunning timepiece Alison! Wonderful layers of crackle, stenciling & stamping! xx

Almo said...

Hi Alison, I really like the soothing greens you have chosen for your coour scheme with your altered clock. The stamping and texture compliment each other beautifully and the white crackle numbers are just perfect to finish the effect. Hugs Mo x

Erin Smetak said...

Wow! You leave me speechless! Your clock with all of the textures is astounding!!! It's so beautiful!

Tracy said...

Alison.... GORGEOUS .... love every step you took along the way and explained so beautifully!!
Hugs
Tracy
xoxo

Dorthe said...

Oh my goodness, what a world of difference you made with your amazing creative mind and hands- your clock is stunning, Alison, JUST WONDERFUL -I love the stensiling and crackles, the great numbers, -everything !!!
Your new Museum clock is a gorgeous piece of art!
xo,Dorthe

sam21ski said...

I bet I can guess which half of the clock appealed to you - lol

Absolutely fantastic transformation and I much prefer your version to the original - lol

I'm sure it now fits perfectly in your museum!!!

Sam xxx

Jenny Marples said...

Beautiful Alison. Love the layering of stamping, inking, painting, crackling and stencilling, all of which give you so much to see every time you gaze up to check the hour. Love it. Hugs, Jenny x

Jennie Atkinson said...

A gorgeous transformation!!

Starla said...

All I can say is WOW.....

House of Bears said...

What a wonderful clock, we love the numbers, the Wordplay die is one we covet. We think the bottom half of the clock appealed to you before it was altered!!!

Alie Hoogenboezem-de Vries said...

Such a lovely alteration Alison! Amazing background and you achieved a great result at the end.

kind regards, Alie :-)

Kate Yetter said...

Awesome makeover, Alison! Great texture.

Anonymous said...

Your creativity just blows me away time and time again - pun intended :) thanks for sharing your beautiful work with us at Simon this week :)

Annette Green said...

Alison, this clock is simply breath-taking. I love the crackle, all the layer effects, the colors. Just fantastic!

Dianne said...

Amazing my dear Butterfly, you couldn't find a more creative, beautifully decorated one anywhere, you'll all enjoy keeping time in the doll house with it.Isn't it funny how a plan just comes together:):), Have a creative day...

May said...

WOW Alison what a wonderful cloak, I adore the colours & design.. Brilliant crackle effect & texture.. Love it!! Hugs May x x x

Ephemera said...

Hi Alison, beautifully altered clock, such an immense improvement on the original. Stunning crackle effect and love the subtle green/blue hues. xx

Lisa Minckler said...

That is CRAZY what it looked like before and ZOWEE, what an awesome make over!!! Only you chica, only you...
Happy weekend ;)

Anonymous said...

Wow Alison ! I love it ! The colour is gorgeous and the texture and the crackle is fantastic ! Sue C x

Terry said...

Love the before and after picture! Such a beautiful clock and the crackle is gorgeous! Love this! Enjoy the weekend! Hugs!

Lisa H said...

Beautiful!! I love the clock and such a great use of stencils. Thank you for sharing with us at the Inspiration Jouranl. =)

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

What a fabulous transformation! I love the texture with the paste! The stenciling is wonderful! Crackling great job! Thank you for sharing with our anything goes challenge this week at Simon Says Stamp & Show...no joke!!!

Anonymous said...

Hello Alison
Finally I am here to see what you have been creating.
That clock was such a perfect item to alter, transformed into something which is aesthetically pleasing and also practical.
The colour is so soothing and the texture, that is so amazing.
Thank you for the comments you have left for me to read while I've been absent from blogland.
Wishes
Lynne

Kjersti said...

Just sooo beautiful Alison!
Hugs Kjersti:)

Marjie Kemper said...

I love it! This is just what I want to do with my clock. Gorgeous transformation, hon.

sara j said...

What a fabulous project!! It's just terrific.

Kezzy said...

Wow wow wow amazing stunning clock. I so love all that texture and so loving all the crackle. I never knew they did a picket fence crackle but I am so loving the effect. Happy Crafting :-) Kezzy xxx

Anonymous said...

Einfach nur beneidenswert schön!

Matilde said...

I'm totally impressed! Beautiful project!

Unknown said...

Gorgeous. Love the composition and the colour work. Chris xxx

Anna-Karin said...

What a transformation!! Love your clock, it is gorgeous. Wonderful stamping, colours and textures. Thank you so much for sharing with us at Simon Says Stamp and Show!

Micki said...

Oh my the original clock was ugly but I love how you turned into an absolute beautiful clock. I love greens and just love love love it.

Unknown said...

Love the updated version Alison. Gorgeous background detail and colors. :) Hugs

Marjie Kemper said...

Simply stunning! Love your shabby chic texture and soft cool colors.

Pam said...

Ohhhh, this is soooo pretty! Love all the layering!

Kezzy said...

Yep another comment just to say I love it's new home with all the gorgeous doll houses which was in your inspired post number 2. Hugs Kezzy xxx :-)