I'm travelling into a new way of working, a new country, a new language, and a new hobby which I'm passionate about. Come with me for some of the journey...

Tuesday 9 April 2013

Step Outside




Hello everyone, lovely to have your company for a little while today.  It's time for a brand new challenge at Fun With ATCs, and our theme this fortnight is Windows and/or Doors.  Remember: ATCs only... 2.5 x 3.5 inches, and no more!


All the challenge details, as well as fabulous projects by my amazing teammates to inspire you, can be found right here.


Here's my little offering, a dimensional trompe l'oeil, and it was such fun to make! Hope it fools your eyes...


Because I didn't want to interfere with the illusion, this one had to have its sentiment on the back; and once again, it's inspired by a song - well, really a song setting of an amazing quote by Rilke.  But more of that later...










The little door is a Wendy Vecchi ArtPart which I got in my very first parcel from eclectic Paperie, and it's been patiently awaiting its moment ever since.

I knew it was perfect for an ATC; and as soon as I sat it in the middle of one of the canvas ATCs I knew what I had to do... draw.  Aaagh!











Okay, deep breath... it's only lines, straightforward rules of perspective.  I didn't want to use a ruler and make it all "perfect", so I took my pencil in hand and just went for it.  

I ended up with this, which didn't completely make me squirm... (You'll notice the windows didn't make the final cut!)








Then I set to with the inks and paints to start to give my little corridor a little more life.

First stage was a wash of white on the walls and door.  And I decided to try using the Ranger Enamel Accents to give my dado and skirting some dimension.  

Forgive the late night flash photography, but at least it gives you an idea of how glossy the Enamel Accents are - like glossy woodwork (if less neat at this stage - I gave it another piped layer later on).





Most of the painting is done with either Fresco or Distress Paints.  I stuck to a wash of paint, diluted with water, so that I would keep a slight translucency back to the pencil lines underneath.

The "wallpaper" was a coat of white, followed by some stamping in Blue Violet Archival with one of the tiny Prima stamps, Sparkling Spring.







The panelling is done in Weathered Wood, because I wanted it to look like weathered wood - oh the deep thought involved!!  I started with Distress Stain, but ended up preferring the extra opacity of the Distress Paint.

And because the pencil couldn't really hold its own as well against the browns, I used a PITT pen to boost the definition of the floorboards.

I used another tiny dot of Enamel Accents, this time the black, to make the door knob.



Within the window frame, I decided to go a little bit abstract, and used up some leftover bits from one of my Distress Paint tag experiments (you've already seen a bit of this one: I used it for the Umbrella Man on my rainbow triptych, A Thousand Splendid Quotes) to create the open sky outside the door.


It's only when you "Step Outside" - that's to say, turn the ATC over - that you see the rest of the sky, and the quote, stamped in the completely gorgeous Worn Text (one of the recent Tim Holtz releases) onto some more leftover wrinkle-free distress paint tag.


The full quote is, of course, at the foot of the post, and I love it.  I first encountered it set as a song by Helen Chadwick (that's Helen Chadwick the composer and singer, rather than Helen Chadwick the artist) called Where Distance Begins.  


I've quoted the song lyrics below, a slightly free translation of the original Rilke, as that's the version I love, but you'll find other variations around.










I wish that I could give you an immediate link to listen to the song - it's hauntingly beautiful - but it doesn't exist on youtube.  All I can do is whole-heartedly recommend Helen's album Where Distance Begins (named for this particular song) - it has wonderful, wonderful things on it.


Back to my ATC... With the 3D illusion of the corridor, it now looked a bit weird that the door frame itself - which was supposed to be the "deepest in" bit - stuck out instead (it's about 3mm deep).


I decided the whole thing needed a dimensional frame, so that the door wasn't standing proud of the background quite so obviously.















I used strips of thick card to build my outer edges, and used the very last little bits of leftover tag to line them.  

A little bit of extra inking on the outside edges gives it a more shabby chic worn look round the outside.








Tiny lock and key brads, and some of my favourite mulberry paper roses (you'll find flowers if you step outside) finish the whole thing off.

I do hope you'll find time to join in with us over at Fun With ATCs this fortnight.  I'm constantly blown away by the imagination and creativity you bring to the party, and can't wait to see your Windows and/or Doors.  See you soon!



Whoever you are, in the evening, step out of your room; step out of your house, in which you know everything.  Your house ends where distance begins.  Where your house ends, distance begins: step outside.

With your tired eyes, which can hardly free themselves from your warm threshold, slowly, slowly you lift up a black tree and place it against the sky, slender, alone.  And thus you have created the world, and she is great, and like a word which is still ripening in silence.  And as you grasp their meaning, tenderly your eyes let go.

From Where Distance Begins, song by Helen Chadwick
Translated from The Book of Images by Rainer Maria Rilke

Since most of my ingredients are from the fabulous eclectic Paperie store, here are the links if you're tempted to get hold of them!




53 comments:

froebelsternchen said...

just amazing dear Alison!
This is an amazing assemblage on this format!
Stunning ..and the text from Rilke is such a perfect accompaniment to this..
really awesome POST this !

Have a good day dear Alison!

xxx Susi

Ephemera said...

Hi Alison, what a brilliant idea, your ATC is amazing. You have certainly got an artists eye for perspective, wonderful 3D effect. XX

Helen said...

Wow, that is stunning! I love trompe l'oeil and am soooo impressed at your atc. It may only be straight lines but you still have to put them in the right places... Beautiful!!!

Carol Q said...

that is so clever Alison, it certainly fooled me and what a great way to interpret the theme.

Jenny Marples said...

You'd never believe this was ATC size Alison. A fantastic idea for using that door in this way - love the dado rail too. Hugs, Jenny x

Deborah said...

genius!

Paula Whittaker said...

Just perfect...think it's the best ATC's you've ever made.

Inkypinkycraft said...

Thisis incredible!! Amazing! Hugs trace x
Hope all is going well for you xxx

chrissie said...

It had me fooled for sure--love everything about it.

The quote today is wonderful-thank you.

Love Chrissie xx

brenda said...

Just back from Paris and catching on with everyone Alison.

The perspective you have achieves here is awesome.

B x

Andrea Small said...

ooh clever - had me fooled. Smugly, I played Helen while I was looking at it and goodness gracious me it is a perfect complement.
Andrea xx

Cestina said...

This is so adorable. I covet it. And I heartily second the recommendation of Helen's album. And all her others.....

Oh and a plea for more Rilke while I'm at it :-)

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

Fantastic illusion Alison, wonderful depth achieved and a fantastic idea. Love your use of Glossy Accents . Wonderful use of Wendy's door. Tracy x x

craftytrog said...

It's fantastic, & so clever! I love it Alison xx

mark gould said...

Stunning, I nearly used the door, Im glad I used the window now ;)
I love things with perspective like this and the frame really finishes the whole ATC off perfectly x
hope all is well x

Gio said...

All this little 3D scenery in such a small space! Bravissima, Alison!

Nan G said...

Smashing! Oh I want to open that door and step out! Your illusion is fabulous.

Lisa Minckler said...

You are amazing with depth and proportions! This is such a fun and thought provoking project. I absolutely love it and can't believe it's on the scale that it is...GORGEOUS!! I'd love to be able to do something like this, but I fear it would look like one of those crazy mirror rooms at the circus!
What an inspiring post Alison..thank you so much for sharing this and the song inspiration.

toni said...

Delightful!! Not a word i use often but it sprung into my mind as soon as i saw this, its a really lovely piece of work a brilliant idea which works perfectly !! X

Sarah said...

You must be part magician to do such magical things in such a small space! Beautifully done, Alison!!

Kate Yetter said...

This is awesome, Alison. What a great amount of thought you must have put into this. Love it. It looks so real!
Kate

pearshapedcrafting said...

Oooh! you are so clever - I'll say no more or I could end up rambling on about talented you are!! Chrisx

Gráinne said...

That's brilliant, Alison. Awesome piece of art. Suzanne

Terry said...

Knock, Knock! Alison, you are so clever! Love the depth you created and that door is so cool! Very unique! Hugs!

Alie Hoogenboezem-de Vries said...

Great, your trompe l'oeil, an amazing idea, with great looks...Want to see what's behind the door :-)

PIN!! kind regards, Alie

Mrs.B said...

What an amazing ATC, your creativity never fails!Just a brilliant take on the theme.
Avril xx

Janny Jager said...

Wowwwwwwwwwwww this is amazing Alison.
Love every detail on it.
Greetings Janny

Dorthe said...

What a sweet little ATC home you made, so amazing with the trompe lòeil- your painting looks wonderful Alison, and the sweetest mini details!
xo,Dorthe

sam21ski said...

WOW, you've achieved soooo much depth with this, it looks amazing

Sam xxx

Keren Tamir said...

Wow you are so creative. For a second I thought it was a picture of your front door lol. Wow that looks amazing

Annie said...

Amazing piece Alison.....love the 3d appearance, great interpretation

TFS

Annie x

Chrissy said...

Just fantastic Alison, you never cease to amaze me...brilliant.

Luv CHRISSYxx

Princess Judy Palmer said...

Now that I'm getting allergy shots again I may be willing to step outside, but a few weeks ago that way lie madness! And snot! Your work is so well thought out and gorgeous. You leave no detail out. I love the perspective of your ATC.

Linda S. said...

You have done a fantastic job with this project. Amazing really. It may be just hand-drawn straight lines, but you sure know where to place them. I couldn't help but wonder as I was reading your post, did your experience with either watching or helping your Mom with her doll house projects have a play in the success of this project? Your "eye for this kind of detail" may have been "in training", and you didn't even know it!! Great work.

Astrid Maclean said...

What a fantastic ATC and the illusion is perfect! Very, very clever!!

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

Most brilliant ATC ever I think! You nailed the feeling of the dimension perfectly, and the detail is fabulous! I'd love to live in this little world...sold!!!?

Candy C said...

Alison....OMG! If you heard a "thud", that was my jaw hitting the floor. This ATC is unbelievable! OMG!!! I totally LOVE this! You rocked this, girl. How in the world did you get that FLAT ATC to look so dimensional? Well...you showed us how...duh! But, it truly is just amazing to see!!! I totally LOVE it, Alison. You are just brilliant!! I love your work...all of it! Thanks for the very sweet comment you left on my blog. I am so honored that you think so much of it. Truly... <3 Cnady

Shelly Schmidt said...

Whoa- this is so fantastic! At first glance, I thought it was a picture.....so cool that you included your step by step......

Brenda Brown said...

You have created amazing perspective on such a little piece giving incredible illusions of space, shape and size. A wonderful, wonderful little work of art Alison.
hugs {brenda} xox

Sue said...

This is amazing Alison, so clever and shabbily chic. There is now a little voice in my head saying ' You have entered The Twilight Zone' lol xx

Hettie said...

Oh Alison this is gorgeous and scary that it is only an ATC! Love it.
xx

Patti P. said...

Oh Alison, I always love to visit you as I am more amazed with your creativity and talent each time. This is stunning. I cannot believe this is an ATC...a wonderful work of art.
Thanks friend for always inspiring me to try harder.
hugs.....

Anonymous said...

This is so delightful and I will have to say, this is the most amazing A.T.C. that I've come across since I started stamping.
I adore that wallpaper!
Wishes
Lynne

Kim Dellow said...

Completely wonderful! Love it to bits, opens a whole world in my head. Just brilliant. Kim

Silvia(Barnie) said...

How cool is that ?! A fabulous idea, love the look.

Jennie Atkinson said...

Just fabulous!!! Your ATC reminds me of much loved doll houses. Great interpretation of the theme.

Von said...

Flipin heck Alison that's awesome !!! :)
Von ♥

Anke said...

WOW WOW WOW absolutely stunning. I love your ATC.

Hugs
Anke

Maelchen said...

Dear Alison, you know what? Your doors inspired me so much that I spent the whole day trying to create doors in ATC size, too! I simply love the perspectives you managed to impose on such a little piece of paper as an ATC. And I was thinking so hard as I wished to use your latest E.E.Cummings poem (I carry your heart...) as a foundation...
But, I must say, the poem is so mighty (can you say so?) that it seemed too great for such a little ATC. I leave it for another time, for something more serious.
Thanks so much again, for sharing your food for both, mind and eyes!
Have a nice weekend!
Manu

Heather said...

WOW!!! Your trompe l'oeil (if I said that right!!) is sensational - it's blown me away I love it!!!

hugs
Heather xx

craftimamma said...

Short and sweet from me for a change because what else is there to say but ........ THIS IS A BEAUTIFUL ILLUSION!

Hugs
Lesley Xx

Kasia said...

Wow! Love your ATC :) Amazing!

Kezzy said...

Wow I can't believe it's an ATC with all the details you have put in. The wallpaper looks like it's actually paper which is beautiful. Happy Crafting :-) Kezzy xxx