I'm travelling into a new way of working, a new country, a new language, and a new hobby which I'm passionate about. Come with me for some of the journey...

Sunday 10 February 2013

Fall in Love


Hello all... hope you're all having a lovely Sunday!  I'm here to share my version of Tim Holtz's fantastic February tag.  A bit of a journey from the original this one, with a lot of improvising - some of it voluntary, some of it necessary because of not having the proper ingredients.

Firstly, I'm really not a "red" crafter - or at least I haven't got there yet. (Given that this whole crafty business came completely out of the blue, I'm never going to say never about anything to do with it!)

But, for now, I decided I'd stick with the neutrals of my comfort zone, with the addition of the dramatic black of Tim's tag, which I loved.

Secondly, the only Blueprint set I've got (so far) is the Autumn one of the leaves.  I was trying to work out how one could incorporate autumnal leaves into a Valentine when the happy wordplay available in the American word for Autumn flashed into my head.  So, here we have "Fall in Love" .

(See, it really wouldn't work in UK English: "Autumn in Love" - that's not a thing, except perhaps the title of a really gloopy made-for-tv afternoon movie.  Yes: two people in the autumn of their years; to begin with, they spar with one another over various neighbourly disputes, then there's a softening into affection, then one of them becomes ill and the other nurses them through it, and in the end they see out their days together.)




I used Picket Fence and Antique Linen in my background, following Tim's instructions, and while I really liked the subtlety of the result, I found that it wasn't holding its own against the stronger other elements.

So in the long run, I added to the tree theme of the tag with some woodgrain stamping which gives the background a bit more weight.







I haven't got the Kraft Core Seasonal Impressions, where the cardstock comes ready embossed, but I did pick up the Valentine Background texture fade for a song very early on in my crafty journey.

It's only been out to play once before, so it was time for it to do some more work.









I love the sanded card so much that I added an extra bit - another little hug and kiss attached to the side of the tag.










So, to the leaf (well, leaves, really, since they're in layers)...  I played for a while with proper autumnal colours, having lots of fun playing with the distress markers on watercolour paper.

But again, in the end, it wasn't really floating my boat when I played with assembling the tag.




So I decided to foreground the colours I'd enjoyed in my background, and started blending Antique Linen and Scattered Straw.  Love the technique of nib to nib blending with the markers!

There's also some Vintage Photo and a hint of Rusty Hinge in the webbing of the leaf.














I'm very happy with the delicate colours of this version.  And it means I've got some lovely autumnal leaves ready to play with at some point in the future.









You can't quite layer up the leaf image in the way you can with the playing card, but I liked the look of the three layers anyway, with the added dimension.

Cutting padded tape to fit along the narrow stem of the leaf was quite a game - an 18 Certificate for the language employed at this point!











I've no cash keys, but I do have little ornate oval frames that I'm very fond of.  And sadly my Chitchat stickers don't have the word FALL, or I'd've happily used them.

Instead, I stamped my punning sentiment and inked the edges.  I used Ranger Crackle Accents to fill in the frame and left it overnight to do its thing.







There's no two-tone paper string in my stash either, but I do have the neutral Solids.

I took one strand each of black, brown and cream, which toned in perfectly with the palette of the tag, and twisted them into place.







And the hand is stamped onto card with some more Antique Linen watercoloured onto it, and then outlined with black pen, since I don't have the vial labels.

I love Tim's positioning of it pointing to the sentiment (or, in my case, the pun) in the charm...






Finally, I created the tissue tape ribbon as in Tim's original, but - having missed out on the cash key - I decided to add some typewriter key charms instead... an X and an O, what else?

I love that they're right next to the embossed words "hugs and kisses" - happy accidents are so useful.







While we're on the subject of happy accidents, I'm also rather taken with the reflections of tree branches in the type charms in these photographs.

The little pin says "elements" on it - for all the elements I've had to adapt for this tag!!




So, there it is...  I'm loving how inventive everyone's being with this February tag, there are some amazing pieces out there, well worth hopping round for a look.

For now though let me say a big thank you for spending some time here at Words and Pictures - it's always a joy to have your company.  Happy Crafting til we meet again...










Falling in love is one of the hardest things to do, because you can never be certain that someone will catch you.
Anonymous


First best is falling in love. Second best is being in love. Least best is falling out of love. But any of it is better than never having been in love.
Maya Angelou


Wise men say, "Only fools rush in",
But I can't help falling in love with you.
From Can't help falling in love, sung by Elvis Presley, written by  Hugo Peretti, Luigi Creatore, and George David Weiss


I'm entering this as my February tag in Tim Holtz's 12 Tags of 2013
At Anything But a Card they'd like us to Share the Love

59 comments:

Inkypinkycraft said...

Alison, I love this colour combination and love how you have used the blueprint leaf, a truly yummy make and so very you! hugs trace x

Debi said...

Brilliant! Beautiful take on Tim's tag- love it!!! Debi x

craftimamma said...

I love this colour combination too and I'm actually working with it on DT pieces at the moment. I haven't seen Tim's tag yet but I love what you've done here. The embossed and sanded Kraft core is so effective (I really must get that stack) and your play on the word 'Fall' is brilliant. The little oval is so pretty and I love the way it looks like the pretty leaf is in a frame. Your tag is very clever and very beautiful.

Hugs
Lesley Xx

PS Sorry I've not dropped by for a little while. I've been tied up with a poorly granddaughter all week so couldn't stay awake at the computer once she went home, lol!

Anonymous said...

This is too beautiful!

craftytrog said...

It's gorgeous Alison! I had to improvise too, but then I'm not really a hearts & roses Gal! I love the woodgrainy background, & the play on words!
Alison xx

chrissie said...

A truly wonderful tag Alison. Not sure why the colour of love is red anyway. I think the shades you have chosen are far more comfortable lol.

Love Chrissie xx

Brenda Brown said...

Beautiful Alison. The blueprint has worked perfectly especially with the linked sentiment and I love the contrast of colours you have used.
Hugs Brenda xox

Caroline said...

Wonderful tag! Love how you used a limited colour pallet and the leaf stamp is great. Good luck!!

sam21ski said...

Fantastic take on the T!m tag Alison, love the colours and your embossed craft-core

Well done on your win over at PanPastels too

Sam xxx

Avalonia said...

Very pretty that guy ;) love the color combination!!!
HUGS, Avalonia

Keren Howell said...

Love your take on Tim's tag! Beautiful work. xxx Keren

May said...

Fabulous take on Tim's tag...Love the idea of using the leaf...Stunning work... Hugs May x x x

Astrid Maclean said...

Well, I have certainly fallen in love with your tag, and to be really honest, like it a whole lot better than the original of his lordship himself. Love the creative thinking behind all of it and the start of your English version novel had me laugh out loud. Would make a brilliant film script that! Great quotes too! And the comfort zone neutral with the dramatic black really make this tag pop for me!

Claudia N. said...

Definitely a Tim-february tag, Alison! And on the other hand typical Alison :))

Love your take on the february tag very much! The black matches the beige perfectly even without the drama of the red as shown with Tim's tag. To me your tag shows the love for the cold seasons of the year - knowing that decay only means becoming something new. Beautiful!

Hugs,
Claudia xx

Redanne said...

Love the word play, love the colours, love the leaf, love your wonderful description - a wonderful take on Tim's tag Alison. Hugs, Anne x

Tapeva said...

Love your playing with the words...and all the tiny details I can discover again and again...

Cestina said...

I'm glad Astrid said what she did because I wasn't sure it was allowed to prefer yours to Tim's.....

I love it - just been examining it in "real life". It's beautifully autumnal and a reminder that love can turn up at any stage of our lives, in the most unexpected way.

Love the quotes too.
xx

Alie Hoogenboezem-de Vries said...

What a great details Alison! Again an amazing tag...you're so talented!!!

Have a nice Sunday, Alie :-)

Unknown said...

A beautiful tag Alison, simply beautiful. The way you combine all the elements is fab', keep them coming! Chris xx

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

Ooh I love that ornate oval frame, adds a touch of opulence to your natural tag. I love all the neutral tones and the embossed black sanded card. Gorgeos layout and I have to say I prefer the neutral tones for Valentine's. Tracy x

Bonnie Irvine said...

This tag is amazing. The colour scheme is so striking. The crackled oval and the lettering have lovely texture and your stacked leaf has awesome dimension. Love everything about this tag...beautiful interpretation of Tim's tag. I really enjoy how you make each piece your own.

Martina said...

This tag is incredible, Alison! I love everything about it. Beautifully done, and very artistic as well!

Unknown said...

Love the play on words Alison. You're such a clever lady and the Tim Holtz touches are a fave for me. This is a lovely tag with lots of eye candy. :) Hope your week is a good one!

Sarah said...

You have taken T!m's prompt into your comfort zone and done something amazing! Love it when you work with a neutral palette.

Linda Coughlin, the funkie junkie said...

This is seriously cool, Alison. I love your take on Tim's Feb. tag! The colors are just yummy and the fall theme is brilliant. Thanks for the inspiration; I need to get going on my Feb. tag for this challenge!

Have a great Sunday.

Hugs,
Linda

Hettie said...

This is wonderful Alison. I love it when people adapt Tim's tags to suit them rather than copy it! Yours is wonderful, and is writing TV movies a new line for you?
xx

Paper Profusion said...

I too much prefer yours to Tims! (Off with her head I hear him say!) Very clever adaptation and a really great tag. Nicola x

catherine said...

This is so beautiful Alison and such a lovely variation on the tag theme.
x catherine

Annie said...

This is fab Alison. I love the colours and your adaptation of Tim's tag. It's a stunning make my friend.

Best Wishes

Annie x

House of Bears said...

Love this, especially the clever word play, genius!

Dianne said...

Turned out fantastic so clever all of it.. Thanks for sharing...

Janny Jager said...

Amazing and very very beautiful tag Alison.
Love every detail.
Gretings Janny

gayle said...

This is fab, I love your colour scheme :)

ria gall said...

A great take on Tim's tag and I love the colours you have used as they are some of my favs. This is a beautiful tag
Ria xxxxx

Anonymous said...

Absolutely gorgeous. I love the color combination and the way you handled things you did not own. The charm at the bottom and the little charms at the top are great. Super job!

Unknown said...

What a lovely tag Alison. I really like the colours you have used. Inspirational as usual!

mark gould said...

ooooooh how lovely, what a beautiful take on tims tag, (better) Thanks for joining us at Anything But A Card.

Silvia(Barnie) said...

FANTASTIC, great take on Tim's tag, love your choice of colors.

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

Nothing wrong with Fall...you are ahead of the game, and spot on in some parts of the world...lol! I love love love your color scheme, although red is my favorite, this has to be a 2nd! Most excellent take!

Kelly said...

I love your tag and the colors are perfect, I love your natural style. The embossing is so pretty on top of the wood grain look. I love how you took words from the embossing folder and used them differently. Beautiful
Hugs Kelly

http://blog.timetocreate.com.au/ said...

What a great tag and a fun take on our challenge. Thank you for joining in at Anything But A Card this fortnight!

Sophie said...

Wow!
Alison, mir fehlen die Worte...
Ein geniales Meisterstück!

Kim said...

Perfect tag, Alison! This is so beautiful...I love how you masterfully create projects with a similar color palette...so pretty!!

Keren Tamir said...

I'm always amazed by your techniques Alison!! love the embossing on this tag! it looks amazing!!

Terry said...

Such a great take on Tim's tag, Alison. I did not have the BP stamp he called for and never thought to use one that I do! This is gorgeous in every detail, but I love the shattered charm! Hugs!

nefertiti said...

Wonderful tag, great colours!!!!
Bizz de Nefert

Sandy said...

Alison this is absolutely delightful -- you have the best ideas and now I know one of the reasons I love your creations - very classy to you all neutrals!
Sandy

Sue said...

What a gorgeous colour scheme Alison, I think I prefer this to Tim's red, and the blue print leaf is perfect. Love it! x

Lisa Somerville said...

Very striking Alison! Love the added embossed panels!

Yvonne Garner said...

A masterpiece Alison! I so enjoy reading your posts and learn so much from you. Thank you or sharing.

Anke said...

B*E*A*U*T*I*F*U*L

W*O*N*D*E*R*F*U*L

F*A*N*T*A*S*T*I*C

I love it ...

Anke

Nicecrane Designs said...

What a creative tag,,,,,,,Alison,,,, so different, so unnusal,,,,love it.

ionabunny said...

What a great Tim Tag. I have some big time improvisation to do on this one myself. Love what you have done here

Marjie Kemper said...

This is so fantastic.... I love everything about it, Alison.

Jenny Marples said...

A fantastic way of interpreting Tim's tag Alison. This is so imaginative and definitely you. Hugs, Jenny x

Julia S-W said...

Firstly, I'm sorry to be constantly on catch up.
Secondly, I love this tag Alison. The idea of not using the playing card appeals to me very much and your choice of image is perfect in my book. Your colour palette is gorgeous (as ever) and to be honest, I could carry on and list everything about this piece but suffice to say, I LOVE IT ALL!!
Julia xxx

Chris said...

Your version is superb Alison, really fabulous work and your colours are very elegant. X

Lucy Edmondson said...

This is lovely, Alison. I love the little ornate frame with the words. I am imagining the afternoon play right now, it would be on a lake and would have at least one of the Fondas in it!

Lucy x

MJ's Kraze said...

I am in love with all the dimension. Thanks for joining up at ABAC.