I'm travelling into a new way of working, a new country, a new language, and a new hobby which I'm passionate about. Come with me for some of the journey...

Wednesday 27 February 2013

Extra! Extra!

Welcome, welcome!  I think you'll be happy you stopped by today...  I'm so excited to be able to share with you the new Artistic Outpost release Paperboy.  The whole team has been creating projects to tempt you - and you'll find links to them all here at the Artistic Outpost blog - though for my part I think the stamps speak pretty much for themselves: it's a gorgeous set!

I've got several pieces to share with you and I'll spread them out over the next few posts, but I thought I'd give you a quick glimpse of them all to whet your appetites.

So, without more ado, I give you: Paperboy...



Here's what Robyn, designer and owner of Artistic Outpost has to say about them:

Amazing vintage photographs of "newsies" were used as the inspiration for Artistic Outpost's newest release, Paperboy.

This collection features iconic newsboys and girls from the early 1900's when children hocked the latest news on the street corners of America's busiest cities. Also included are a newsprint collage, a megaphone for announcing the latest and greatest, and sentiments professing that "you are the hero in your own story".

The collection is available in both unmounted sheets of red rubber for $14 or mounted on EZ Mount cling foam and pre-cut for you for $22.99. Mounted version comes with a cling card for easy storage.

Find the set here.




These stamps have such a fantastic vintage feel to them, and the characters have the trademark direct gaze of some of my favourite Artistic Outpost sets (Think and Wonder, Generation Redux).  These children capture you and hold you with their eyes, challenging you to engage, to look again.







I found myself drawn to a neutral palette with these stamps (with the occasional blue invasion) - probably influenced by the fact that old photographs and newspapers live in that colour world, so the stamps inhabit it very comfortably.

And I mostly kept it pretty simple to let the stamps do the work.

So the first one I'm going to share in detail is the one that sprang to mind immediately when I received the set.

The 3D frame structure seemed like a great "period" way to display the images, reminiscent of a turn of the century diorama. It was the first thing that came to me, since there seemed to be a natural progression of distances given the relative sizes of the images.  

(And if you saw yesterday's tiny "theatre", you'll see that the 3D thing infected me a little!)











I stuck Tim Holtz text tissue wrap onto some strong chipboard and cut several frames and plaques using the Vintage Cabinet Card and mini-Cabinet card dies.  (These were to form the basis of a couple of my pieces.)













So the fabulous cityscape goes right in the background, the girls are in the middle-ground, and one of our two paperboys comes right into the foreground.












They're stamped in Archival Black.  I added some gentle shading with Antique Linen Distress Stain, applied with a waterbrush.













And what did I use to separate the frames, I hear you cry... the distance between them is far more than just some padded tape.











Yup, you're right.  Well, you know those bits of white foam that come in the bottom of the packaging when you buy a Texture Fade embossing folder... it's those, sliced in half lengthwise.  

I always knew they had to be useful for something, and I've finally found out what!






I added a few metal accents - including one of the lovely new Papermania Chronology clocks, and that was pretty much that.







I hope you'll be able to visit the rest of the team if you haven't already; they've really created some amazing projects... I think we've all been inspired by this great new stamp set.  See more by visiting...

Gerrie     Lisa     Suzanne    Tracy    Linda    Terry    Kate






For now, thanks so much for dropping in and I'll see you out there somewhere in Craftyblogland soon!


If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.
Mark Twain


Advertisements contain the only truths to be relied on in a newspaper.
Thomas Jefferson

61 comments:

Anke said...

Absolutely stunning, so beautiful.

...the yorkshire fox... said...

...fabulous Alison, going on these simply wonderful creations, they'll sell out!...Melxx :)

froebelsternchen said...

a gorgeous plate and what you did with this stamps is brilliant Alison!

Fantastic!

Annie said...

Beautiful creations Alison. I love the vintage feel of them all. Stunning stamps

Hugs

Annie x

Rita said...

What beautiful stamps Alison. You have certainly made them your own with such fantastic creations. Need to add them to my wish list. Enjoy your Day. Hugs Rita xxx.

chrissie said...

The stamps are terrific and what you have made with them is amazing.

Love Chrissie xx

Chris said...

Oh they're gorgeous Alison and I particularly like that little boy you've used today. Love your neutral palette, it really does look wonderful with the stamps. Chris x

maj. said...

This is such a totally amazing project, Alison!!!

Jenny Marples said...

I can see why you've enjoyed working with these images. Love the depth you've achieved with your cabinet card and looking forward to seeing more of your other projects. Hugs, Jenny x

Chrissy said...

Gosh, I love the dimension and never will I throw away my foam pads things again...fabulous project Alison, love the stamps and the sizes are perfect for this...gorgeous.

Luv CHRISSYxx

Deborah said...

Wow, I can't keep up with you, Alison. And every one is fantastic too! Great idea to use the packaging foam.

Andrea Small said...

Gosh, what lovely images! The 3d effect is great and adds to the tableau feel. Serendipitously, I was reading the post whist listening to Do You Hear the People Sing? and it made a splendid combination :-) x

Andrea Small said...

PS er - whilst, of course. I wasn't playing cards at the same time. x

Astrid Maclean said...

Love these diorama pieces you have started to make Alison, yesterday's ATC (was it yesterday only?) and now this piece. It adds so much depth and drama to the project, and wow, these stamps are stunning!

Anonymous said...

Fantastic creations Alison. I cant stop looking at them.
Regards Florence x

Helen said...

Amazing work! I am glad I stopped by... those stamps are gorgeous. I may have to shop (again!) The projects are fantastic but I love how you have kept them fairly simple to show off the stamped images.

http://blog.timetocreate.com.au/ said...

Sensational!

Suzanne C said...

Brilliant projects! The one you shared today is my favorite! I loved that you created the three layers with the scene of the images built in! Gorgeous!

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

Fabu,ous dimension on this piece and you have used one of my favourite dies, I love creating dimension with this die and you have created it beautifully . I love the monochromatic , works wonderfully with this set. Great make Alison, my favourite too. Tracy x

Netty said...

Loving all your terrific makes with these fab stamps, also love the terrific dimensions you have added. Hugs Annette x

Alie Hoogenboezem-de Vries said...

What a gorgeous stamp sheet! And woww...you've made such lovely vintage creations with it Alison. The stamps...I first thought you had used pictures...amazing!

Great blogpost :-)
Have a nice day, Alie :-)

Inkypinkycraft said...

Great dimension, such fab piece hugstrace x

Bonnie Irvine said...

The dimension you have achieved with the stacked frames is amazing. Love how you mounted the stamps at different levels. The tissue wrap suits the lovely images so well, supporting the vintage look... not at all distracting. These atamps are fabulous and, as always, your inspired art work puts them on my wish list!

Terry said...

Alison, these all are gorgeous projects! The cabinet die is a favorite of mine and I love the depth you have created and covering the frame with newsprint! Fabulous use of those stamps! Hugs!

Dianne said...

Wow Alison this is fantastic all of it, especially, the three tiered frames is stunning fabulous job thanks for sharing and all the inspiration, have a great day...

Unknown said...

Holy cow Alison, I love your projects and the way you made the images come forward. Love this company's stamps and I know they are thrilled to have you showcasing them in such a spectacular way. :)

Sarah said...

The dimension and simplicity of this work makes for a stunning piece. Beautifully done, Alison!

Gerrie Johnnic said...

Your projects are amazing, love your staging!I couldn't pick one favorite out of the group, I love them all. Your talent amazes me!

Redanne said...

Hi Alison, not sure I can add much to the above comments other than to say I am loving your 3D phase as much as I did your turquoise one! The newsboy does look so good in 3D, it seems to capture the era so well.... it is like a mini work of art. Hugs, Anne x

Kate Yetter said...

A wonderful collection of PB projects! I am looking forward to seeing them all in detail. I love this piece with all its dimention, gears and classic Alison style. Beautiful!
Kate

Linda Coughlin, the funkie junkie said...

This is such a sensational piece of work - love the diorama approach. And I had to chuckle about what you used to separate the layers. I had a collection of those things which I finally chucked when I was packing up to move. I never could figure out a use for them - LOL. Awesome work for this release!

Hugs,
Linda

Dorthe said...

Alison, they are wonderful stamps, looks so real old- and you making them live in this archade, with the view to the city, gave them life.
The effect with the foam is an amazing way to built a "room", --I love what you did with these beautiful kids.
XO, from Dorthe

Unknown said...

Stunning Alison! Each time I think you can't outdo yourself, you do! Simply stunning. Chris xxx

Janny Jager said...

WOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW Alison .
This is amazing .
So very very beautiful.
Love every detail
Great new stamps.

Greetings Janny

Martina said...

Oh Alison, you have again made quite fantastic artwork! Really adorable!

Bärbel said...

Wow, was für eine fantastische Stempelplatte, die muss ich unbedingt haben. Liebe Alison, Sie haben damit wieder ein ganz wunderbares Kunstwerk erschaffen, großartig!
Liebe Grüße.

Lisa Somerville said...

Love the wonderful vintage pieces you created with the new Paperboy collection! My favorite is the 3D frame, I was hoping you'd post that today!

mark gould said...

How beautiful what a great stamp set. I love your popped out arch display, the depth you achieve is awesome. It's never a dull visit here Alison, beautiful as always xx

cathylynn said...

Your art is always so amazing! Wow this is gorgeous. Love it all. I'm so happy that my path has crossed yours. You are such an inspiration! Thanks!
Hugs, Cathy-Lynn

Princess Judy Palmer said...

Beautiful work! I love the period feel to your pieces. What a fun set!

Asia King (aka Joanna K) said...

Absolutely fantastic!!! So much dimension and your stamping is just exquisite! So much delicious vintageness - love it! xx

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

Superb!!! Most excellent DT work my friend! I love every layered bit, and the vintage feel is perfectly you! Gorgeous images...love those lads!

Sue said...

Gorgeous Alison, I love how you've stuck to the black and white. This set will definitely be coming my way when it hits the UK xx

Anonymous said...

Alison
I have just this moment visited Terry and viewed her astonishing creations with this plate and now I visit you and well, the two have you created the most amazing samples with this new plate and I will repeat what I said to Terry as it is true of you
A.O. are to lucky to have you as a DT member as you show their stamps to the highest of level.
Wishes
Lynne

Laurart said...

WOW! they are amazing...I love the framed one especially - the effect is wonderful! Lots of love from Laura xxxxxx

janine said...

I love this stamp set!!! Great projects---the cabinet card is so beautiful!! I could kick myself now because I had been saving those pieces of foam from the texture fades up until last weekend when I went through a bit of a cleaning frenzy in my craft room. I tossed those foam pieces I had been saving, thinking I would never really have a purpose for them. Well, now I do---too bad I didn't save them...lol Thanks for sharing your projects. The Paperboy collection is fabulous!

Nan G said...

Love this vignette you've created! An AO set I'll simply have to get! And I knew I was saving those foam thingies for a reason. :)

Unknown said...

Shadow box is awesome!!!! Love it!

Unknown said...

Oh these are so cool - I just adore how you have created that newsprint look 3d frame! Love it!

Marjie Kemper said...

A - Amazingly cool showcase of these stamps with your unique twist, of course. The depth is amazing, and the placement of the fellow with the others in the background is inspired!

B - OMG, now I know I was right to save all those foamy things from the fades.... I just knew they would come in handy some day, and you have shown me how!

TFS, Alison!

xx

Keren Tamir said...

Wow this is fantastic Alison as always your vintage work amazes me!!

maria's knutselplezier said...

I love this, so beautiful , I really love every detail!!

Greetings
Maria

Claudia N. said...

Awesome, Alison!

Have been lurking around this special stamp sheet for quite some time now, but it is not easy to get for an Austrian girl - shipping costs would turn them into a rather expensive stamp sheet.... :(

Love, what you did with the gorgeous images!

Hugs,

Claudia x

gayle said...

Beautiful stamps,love that you've done with them :) the layering on that piece is a great idea!

Lucy Edmondson said...

Absolutely gorgeous, Alison!! But I am getting very cross that I want this set even more than the last releases! And as if it isn't bad enough seeing the plate just as it is, I then get tempted even more by gorgeous DT samples!

Lucy x

toni said...

Alison your work is amazing !!!love the way you've used the cabinet dies I must get my hands on those! brilliant details x

Brenda Brown said...

Love what you have done with these stamps Alison, looks like a set I will want/need to have.
hugs {brenda} x0x

Nicecrane Designs said...

Incredible work here Alison....love these all vintage effects,,,and these cards inpsired me to add some new Steampunk Themes to my collection.

Kasia said...

What an amazing project! Love it! Great idea with 3D frame :)And these stamps are fantastic :)

Lisa Minckler said...

Dadgum girl...LOVE this!!!

Silvia(Barnie) said...

Wow, these are breathtaking projects.