I'm travelling into a new way of working, a new country, a new language, and a new hobby which I'm passionate about. Come with me for some of the journey...

Tuesday 8 December 2015

Those who wander...

Hello again, and welcome to the second wandering post today.  It seems a long time since we've had anything which I've made just for fun... Deadlines and DT makes and flattering GD offers pile up, and I'm very grateful for the opportunities, and so happy to be on the teams, but I think one of my New Year's Resolutions is going to have to be about being careful how much I say yes to!



Anyway, I spent much of Thursday and Friday last week trying to bring some order back to my craft room where chaos was taking over.  I finally bit the bullet and chucked out almost two cratefuls of scraps and snippets and half-made tags which have been gathering over the last three years.

Many of the scraps made the move along with us from our old house more than two years ago, and I haven't so much as looked at them in that time.

In the end, I couldn't bring myself to just tip the whole lot in to the paper recycling without sorting through it, and I ended up keeping enough to fill a couple of A4 plastic wallets... so it did still gain me some much needed storage space.

This tag is made from some of the things I fished out.  It was really almost done - it just needed a few additions gathered from some of the leftovers sitting around the craft table.  And I rather like the result.








As I say, most of the main elements of the tag were already in place when I pulled it out of the scraps crate.  It looks like a wrinkle-free distress background to me, with some ink blending, and then there's the stamping of some of my perennial favourites in Jet Black Archival.

I put it straight on to the craft table, knowing I'd want some play time as a "reward" for all the sorting and tidying.

The girl also turned up in the clear-out.  I'm pretty sure she's a Nicecrane Designs image, dating back to when I was working on that design team.  She's printed on acetate, so I'd obviously had some idea for using her which never came in to being.








Now, though, she seems right at home on this tag.  The slightly haunted, yet quietly determined look in her eye seems to reflect the words of the quote printed at the foot of the tag.













Ah yes, those words... so powerful (and I guess I have wandering on the brain a bit at the moment!).













I trimmed her edges a bit before deciding on the precise placement.  And of course the main thing I love about the acetate is it gives her that now-you-see-it, now-you-don't effect which I love about light-reflecting elements.  It's why I so often go for clear embossing - there's something about the tantalising changeability of it which delights me.












Bare branches are a definite theme here this week, as you'll see soon... but I don't think any other versions I have beat this Tim Holtz stamp.  I love those delicate intertwining twigs.











There's my absolute top favourite script stamp in the background - love how you can see it through the girl's skin too - the one from Tim's Apothecary set.














Its spidery antiquity is perfect for the feel of this tag.














The leaves were hanging around as leftovers from another project - you won't see that until later in the week, though, I'm afraid.  They're kraft card with a hint of alphabet stamping on, and some inking to warm them up.










My favourite birds are heading off to wander in search of warmer climes... and I noticed when the sun came out as I was taking photographs that there seems to be a touch of sparkle, probably Perfect Pearls, in the background too.











Of course there had to be rusty wire too...













I added a Big Chat sticker to a little kraft tag and inked over it because the bright white text was a bit too in your face.  I wanted it to be strong, but not that strong!!










So just a quick bit of leftovers playtime, a reward for all the hefting and clearing and gritted-teeth disposal of unneeded clutter.  I hope you like her.

As I say, I'll be back later in the week... in fact, I'll be back several more times!  Sorry, it's just one of those weeks, but I couldn't resist sharing this one with you as soon as she was ready.  Thanks so much for stopping by, and I hope to see you again soon, either here or elsewhere in Craftyblogland.

She was free in her wildness.  She was a wanderess, a drop of free water.  She belonged to no man and to no city.  She knew nothing of borders and cared nothing for rules or customs.  "Time" for her wasn't something to fight against.  Her life flowed clean, with passion, like fresh water.
From The Wanderess by Roman Payne


35 comments:

Anneke said...

Great tag with a great quote!

SewPaperPaint said...

Oh Alison, what a fabulous way to revive these pieces. The elements are gorgeous and put together make a thoughtful and perfect tag, not haunted at all. Love it!

Sandy said...

Love it - sounds like me - I wander a lot but am I really lost!?!
Sandy xx

Lisa Minckler said...

I'm so proud of you! Loving seeing this blast from the past with a splash of current added. Your tag is beautiful and her expression is priceless.
hugs,
Lisa x

Dorthe said...

This is a stunning tag Alison, beautiful with the craft card leaves, looking almost leathery , and love the stamps of tree and birds. Truly a scare in her eyes and the show through her face , makes her look from the other side !! So wonderful.
xx

Terry said...

Oh this tag does have a bit of a ghostly feel! Very intriguing tag and I love how you recycled! Gorgeous tag! I hope you do find that balance as I think we all need that for our wandering minds! Hugs!

experiments in paper said...

Wonderfully ethereal tag, Alison, and so glad you got some "me" time! Absolutely love all of the images, and am also especially fond of the tree. Feels good to have some working space, I am sure, although in my case the chaos seems to return the minute I turn my back :-) Thanks for all your visits despite your hectic schedule, including all the travel - very much appreciated! xxx Lynn

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

Lovely tag Alison, quite atmospheric and ethereal. Love it and love the natural elements too. Tracy x

Helen said...

Fab tag Alison, and well done for a) sorting through the scraps and b) using some of them!!

SueC said...

Great tag Alison, what a fab find in your bits pile ! Sue C x

Fliss said...

Really gorgeous vintage style tag Alison and so sorry to keep missing you beautiful creations. I've got so little time for blogging at the moment so many apologies for the lack of visiting.
Fliss xx

Corrie Herriman said...

Sometimes you need to be ruthless.... I love your tag and I hope you'll have found some more of them... lol
Gorgeous, Alison !
Corrie x

Amanda said...

I need to find the strength to throw all mine away, well done you for being brave. Great tag from your findings.
Love
Amanda x

Meggymay said...

A gorgeous tag and quote, good for you to have a clear out. I often start but never quite throw it all away.
Yvonne xx

Paper Profusion said...

Gorgeously ethereal! It's fun to wander when you can, so enjoy! Nicola x

rachel said...

beautiful work Alison - the girl is so ghostly - gorgeous - so glad you don't throw things away and that you had a good tidy up to marry these things together! Hugs rachel x

Anke said...

Wonderful tag, Alison. So lovely ...

Hugs
Anke

Astrid Maclean said...

Oh dear, you did what I desperately need to do...... good on you and a fab tag with the scraps you rescued!

Inky and Quirky Designs said...

Fantastic tag Alison, really atmospheric and Wintery feeling. I have a little purge every so often...and then put most things back!
Hugs
Donna xxx

craftytrog said...

I love how this vintage style tag turned out Alison...so glad you didn't put it in the bin! xx

Pamellia said...

STUNNING!!! How is it that every time I visit your site, my wish list gets longer!! HAHA!! It's because your work is inspiring! Absolutely love the atmosphere you have created here...if they made this into a movie, I would be there!! hugs :)

Hazel Agnew said...

Love the mood of the tag! Fits the time perfectly!

Kay Wallace said...

Your "wanderess" art is both brilliant and cohesive. Just stunning!

Cocofolies said...

Oh Alison.. This tag made from leftovers is just SO beautiful... I love the effect of this little girl stamped on acetate, simply stunning, and all the leaves and branches stamped or added...
Also, thanks so much for reminding me that the text provided with the Apothecary set is really beautiful!!! I've got this set (even adore this one...), but almost never used it yet I fear oooops!!! Thanks Alison! :)
Hugs, Coco xx

pearshapedcrafting said...

This really is stunning! I love the text showing through the girls's face! The tree, the birds and the browned leaves give this such a wonderful atmosphere! I love it! Hugs, Chrisx

Maggie said...

Gorgeous tag Alison...very thought provoking indeed and very satisfying to find something in the "bits" box and give it new life don't you find. Well done for sorting out your scraps I was
laughing along as this is just how I am my "bit" boxes are overflowing again think this is a new year job though. 😏

MaggieH

Princess Judy Palmer said...

What a wonderful journey seeing how this tag came into being from the leftovers and outcasts. Very nice! I am lost myself but far too lazy to wander.

froebelsternchen said...

A wonderful tag Alison! Just AMAZING!!!!

Kirsten said...

Beautiful tag!

Lynne Moncrieff said...

A beautiful enigmatic feel to this tag and I like the composition of the tree branches and birds with the child figure slightly ghostlike.
Wishes
Lynne

Hettie said...

This is lovely. So atmospheric. Glad you rescued it.
Hugs
xx

Etsuko said...

Wonderful image and very dramatic tag Alison. Have a marry Christmas season. xx

Jackie PN said...

This tag is absolutely beautiful Alison and I have to say one of my favorites! Imagine that- from scraps heading for the bin! Glad you rescued these elements!! xo

Mrs.B said...

Lovely atmospheric tag Alison, aren't you glad you had a rummage before you headed for the recycle bin.
Avril xx

A Pink said...

A lovely tag Alison so atmospheric . An inspirational way to use up scraps x