I'm travelling into a new way of working, a new country, a new language, and a new hobby which I'm passionate about. Come with me for some of the journey...

Friday 2 November 2012

A Faded Beauty?


Hello all, and welcome!  Don't adjust your sets, folks: yes, you are at Words and Pictures, but yes, you are seeing flowers, pearls and pastel pinks.  What can I say?  Sometimes that's the way the cookie crumbles... 

Today's tag is my Design Team offering for the new challenge at Fussy and Fancy, where we'd like you to play with Pearls and Flowers.  Pink is not compulsory, it's just where I ended up!

Do take some time to go and check out my fellow DT's projects; there's lots of different inspiration, and we'd love you to play along.

I started with a sheet of K&Company paper which was just leaping out of the pile at me - my head was probably thinking, "Well, if we're going to go girly, we might as well go the whole hog".

But I wanted to shabby it up a bit.  With the vintage image, and the phrase which was already swirling around in my head - 'the flower of her youth' - this was clearly setting out to be a memento of days long gone, memories of a beauty perhaps fading with the years.









So, to the shabbying...  I used Tim Holtz's Picket Fence Distress Stain to give the paper a whitewashed look, and edged the tag with Tea Dye and Vintage Photo inks.  I also used an emery board to sand away the paper at the edges, and across the centre, to get a really well-worn, shabby chic look to it.






The flowers in the paper still have beauty, but it's been dulled a little by the passing of the years.

You can see the before and after of the effects in this photo.










I used some more of the whitewashed paper in the BigShot with TH's Tattered Flower Garland, and assembled my flowers.











They also got the ink treatment, and a good spritz of Perfect Pearls Mist in - what else? - Pearl, and I added some tiny pearl beads to the centres.

I'm not generally a very flowery crafter - but I do like the end result here...







The little green postcard is from a Prima 6x6 pad - Nature Garden, I think it is - shabbied up with the TH Paper Distresser and some inking... a memento of youthful romantic correspondence, treasured in a lonely old age.









The image is one I found on one of my Google image searches, and printed out.  Apart from the usual distressing, I also used Distress Markers to tint the photo slightly, for the blush of youth.







The ribbons are some of my fruit tea-dyed ones, one with a scrunching of Victorian Velvet DI added for extra blush.











At the bottom, I've again borrowed the idea from Julia's Stuff of the gorgeous UTEE'd lace.  I did also stamp into it this time, which has given it some added texture - but I think I need a bit more practice to make it zing the way Julia does!

All the elements are assembled on a little paper doily, also given the Vintage Photo treatment, its fresh whiteness dimmed by passing time.

So, there you have it - Pearls and Flowers - out of my usual creative zone, but that's the fun of the game!  And it's so strange how these things work out: Fussy and Fancy have had this challenge timetabled for months, and I made most of this a couple of weeks ago - but it fits right in with Simon Says Stamp and Show's challenge to Just Add Pearl this week... coincidence?  Or the Universe moving in mysterious ways?!

Anyway, thank you so much for stopping by, and I hope you've found some inspiration on your visit.  Do head over to Fussy and Fancy to see what the rest of the team have come up with; they would love to have you visit and leave them a little love too!   And if you decide to play along, we'll come and return the favour...  I love how Craftyblogland operates on such a wonderful cycle of positive reinforcement, don't you?!

Faded the flower and all its budded charms,
Faded the sight of beauty from my eyes,
Faded the shape of beauty from my arms,
Faded the voice, warmth, whiteness, paradise!
Vanish'd unseasonably!
John Keats

The flowers anew, returning seasons bring, 
But faded beauty has no second spring.
Ambrose Philips

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye.
Miss Piggy

I'm entering this in the following:
Simon Says Stamp and Show who are asking us to Just Add Pearl
There's a Bingo board at Everybody Art Challenge - I'm playing a diagonal line of Flowers, Lace, Ribbon
At Crafty Boots they would simply like us to create a Tag or Invitation
Sugar Creek Hollow are looking for Texting - Vintage Style, with some text on display

43 comments:

Suzie's Card Den said...

Wow that is so beautiful, I just love everything you have done, I love how you distressed the paper, I have some very bright paper I would never use, but now I think I will, great flowers too. Just stunning come out of your comfort zone more often
Hugs
Suzie xx

Sazzle said...

WOW Alison this is stunning, I love your work and even coming out of your comfort zone you produce works of art :-)


xx Sazzle xx

Terry said...

Thank you for sharing your fabulous Tag with the DT from Simon Says Stamp and Show, love the colors, the flowers are gorgeous and the image is adorable, thank you for sharing hugs terry xxxx

Sophie said...

Ich bin aus meiner Pause zurück, und ich kann wieder Kommentare zu den herrlichen Werken meiner vielen und lieben Künstler-Freunde abgeben.

Und wieder sehe ich so herrliche, wunderschöne Werke bei Dir...
Ich habe das so vermisst

Liebe Grüße

Cestina said...

Oh the quotes!!!! Bathos in the very best sense of the word.

I rather like the tag too...:-)

emma mitchell said...

Oh wow I love this gorgeous tag , these flowers are so stunning.
Hugs Emma xx

Netty said...

Loving your shabby chic tag, I hope you will be doing more like this, beautiful. Enjoy the weekend, Annette x

Olivia said...

What a beautiful tag!! I just love the coulors and the softness it gives me. Just fantastic!!

Inkypinkycraft said...

Alison , whatever you turn your hand do is full of gentle beauty! Trace. X

Jenny Marples said...

Great treatment of that K&Co paper hun. It's an inspiring idea to transform 'unloved' stuff in this way.
Are you still planning on going to the NEC and if so which day? Hugs, Buttons (ok, Jenny!!) x

Astrid Maclean said...

Wow, this is certainly different for you but I like it!!! You have managed to use the elements and colours without it getting to sickly sweet and girly. great stuff!!

Brenda Brown said...

Alison there is always inspiration from your gorgeous creations and this is no exception. A beautiful shabbied tag, wonderful colours and texture.
Enjoy your weekend.
hugs {brenda} xox

May said...

Breathtaking beauty Alison... Simply Gorgeous creation... I adore the vintage look, soft colours & fabulous design... Love it all.... Hugs May x x x

Anjas-Artefaktotum said...

Beautiful tag, love the soft colors and the amazing flowers are magnificent.

Anonymous said...

Her beauty is radiant in my eyes. I adore the wistful nature not only in her gaze but in the whole feel of your tag.
Perfection Alison.
Wishes
Lynne

Sarah said...

I am not into pinks, flowers, and pearls either but there comes a time when you have to acquiesce. The outcome of your project is lovely and oh so vintage...the part I love. Beautiful work, Alison.

Anonymous said...

WOW!! Absolutely stunning!! I love the soft colors and design on your tag!! Beautiful job with the flowers and pearls!! :) HUGS

gayle said...

Oh this is gorgeous; the doilies and the pearls and the flowers make this just dreamy :)

Rosie said...

Oh, Alison, your tag is amazing, love every detail.

Have a wonderful Weekend

sam21ski said...

Love the muted background look - stunning tag

Sam xxx

Princess Judy Palmer said...

Gorgeous, as always. You did great! No one would ever know that pastel and pink and floral isn't your cuppa tea.

catherine said...

I love the vintage style to this one Alison and everything goes so well together and great techniques used
x catherine

Karen McAlpine said...

Love how you shabby up the dp! It looks so good this way. Also love the die cut flowers from the same paper. Lovely finished project!!

Janny Jager said...

Very very beautiful Tag Alison
Great are the soft colors and all the details.
Love it
Greetings Janny

Dee's Craft Room said...

Great vintage look tag. Thank you for sharing your work with all of us at Crafty Boots Challenges.

Dionne

Meggymay said...

Stunning tag, love all the details and the beautiful image.
Thank you for joining us at SCH this time.
Yvonne

Alison said...

Beautiful!!! x

Kjersti said...

This is absolutely stunning Alison! Love the colours and you have decorated so beautiful!
Have a nice weekend!
Hugs Kjersti:)

House of Bears said...

Wonderful. Kay and Co was a perfect choice for a girly design challenge. We love the way you've aged your image to prodice that days gone by effect. We'll have to see if the bears can do girly too. Thanks for the inspiration.

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

Soft and romantic...just plain elegant!!! Love the image!

Renee Matarese said...

Your handmade flowers are gorgeous and I love the pearl centers. Thanks for joining us this week at Sugar Creek Hollow. Renee

Bonnie Irvine said...

Just lovely! Every detail adds so much to the whole. Love the vintage shabby chic look. The image and flowers are wonderful elements that combine to enhance the story behind the tag. Always a treat to visit your blog.

craftimamma said...

I'm not a 'pink' person either but I still cannot help but love your tag. I especially like the treatment you have given the background paper to create the faded chintzy look. The image you have used is so lovely and perfect for the 'story' woven into your design. Beautiful work altogether!

Hugs
Lesley Xx

Annie said...

Hi Alison. This is fabulous. Love the colours and flowers. The image is stunning. Great vintage shabby chic tag. With a beautiful poem to finish.

TFS and thank you for comments on my blog. They are so appreciated.

Hugs Annie x

Lisa Minckler said...

I could curl up and sleep peacefully amidst all this gentle vintage goodness. The flowers make me want to bend down and smell them. An entirely gorgeous arrangement her Alison. :)

Sandra said...

What a romantic and stylish chic tag! Love the image! Thank you so much for joining us at Simon Says Stamp and Show. Hugs, Sandra

Silvia(Barnie) said...

A wonderful soft colored tag.

Mrs.B said...

Beautiful tag, love the shabby chic!
Avril xx

Anna-Karin said...

This is gorgeous Alison! Love the image you used and the white wash is perfect. Beautiful flowers and details. You always add such great quotes to the end of your posts, I enjoy reading them. Thank you for sharing with us at Simon Says Stamp and Show!

Sandy said...

I see I am not alone in loving your style. Your really do make wonderful tags - really grand!!
Sandy

Chrissy said...

Your tag is just BEautiful Alison, love the flowers and pearls...and the pink...and such a gorgeous image...beautiful.

Luv CHRISSYxx

Marjie Kemper said...

You had me at hello. Those stacked flowers are amazing and that delicate strip of the lace border looks incredible. Another gorgeous creation!

Unknown said...

Such a lovely beautiful tag!! You do amazing work.