I'm travelling into a new way of working, a new country, a new language, and a new hobby which I'm passionate about. Come with me for some of the journey...

Friday 30 November 2012

A Christmas Postcard

Hello all, and welcome to Words and Pictures.  It's Friday, and it's time for a new challenge over at Fussy and Fancy... and this fortnight it's I Love Christmas.  So, to fulfil my DT duties, I've finally had to abandon my "No Christmas Crafting Before December" policy... but only by a day (though obviously I had to make this a few days ago, in all honesty).

Here's the card I'd like to share with you, made with a Jumbo Size 10 tag as the base.




The stamps are nearly all by Graphic 45, except for the white embossed snowflakes which are from an Artistic Outpost set (which you'll be seeing a lot more of as December progresses...).

I love the vintage feel of the images, and they're lovely to stamp with.







I know Graphic 45 are best known for their papers, but the stamps (made by Hampton Art) are a real delight too.

I folded the tag in half, and used the postcard stamp both on the front and the back.  I did some distressing with Frayed Burlap DI, and also some brushes of gesso.








I stamped the two little girls (and the inside image, actually) and then had to leave the thing sitting there for a couple of days while I tried to work out what to do with the space in front of them!












Finally, light dawned - by a happy coincidence, Father Christmas was just behind that empty space so, by creating an aperture, I could have him as they thing they are looking at so eagerly!

I cut the hole and rolled the the edges, and used the holly stamp to create a border around it.







Inside you have the family dancing - or are they putting up decorations? - hard to tell!  In any case, they certainly look as though they love Christmas!

There are some more embossed snowflakes, the holly stamp again, and the distressing as on the outside of the card, but a little more gently applied.




I think the little girl is adorable!






I love the Glad Tidings greeting... and there's room, I hope, for some fairly neat signatures underneath.




The ribbons are dyed using Distress Inks, and tied so that you only have to undo the little white bow.  Once open, you then have one ribbon still on each side as you are looking at the card, and if you want, you could leave it open and add the white ribbon back on to one side or the other.

So that's my little vintage offering... Do visit Fussy and Fancy and have a look at the amazing work done by my Design Team colleagues - I'm sure you'll find lots of inspiration, and we really hope you'll be able to play along with us this fortnight.  Thanks so much for your visit, and see you again soon!

The best of all gifts around any Christmas tree:  the presence of a happy family all wrapped up in each other.
Burton Hillis

One of the most glorious messes in the world is the mess created in the living room on Christmas day.  Don't clean it up too quickly.
Andy Rooney

I'm entering this in the following:
At Sugar Creek Hollow they are playing a Vintage Christmas challenge
The Shabby Tea Room are looking for Just Neutrals - and my sentiment is on the inside
Hels Sheridan's Sunday Stampers are playing with Vintage this week
Simon Says Stamp are on an Anything Goes week
They would like to see Christmas cards in non-traditional colours over at Elke Kaart Een Feestje! (Every card a party!)

49 comments:

Sazzle said...

WOW Alison I love it! Your vintage tag card is fantastic, I love the stamps and that aperture works so well :-)


xx Sazzle xx

Sophie said...

Wow! Was für eine tolle Karte.
Ich finde die so wunderschön mit ihren vielen Details.
Das ist sehr aufwendig und liebevoll gearbeitet.

Umarmung xx

Astrid Maclean said...

Well I love it that you have started Christmas projects now and I look forward to many more! This one looks great, love how you have put it together out of a tag. I know what you mean about the G45 stamps, I use mine far too little!

Andrea Small said...

Gorgeous! I love those stamps, especially the two girls. V clever design and beautifully executed x

Sue said...

Very very pretty Alison, and I love the idea of using a tag. Welcome to Christmas! xx

froebelsternchen said...

such a great idea and such a fabulous look ...I like this vintage feeling in this!

Julia S-W said...

A lovely card Alison. I really like this idea of using a large tag - it may even be able to fit the normal letter size in the post!! I love the vintage look and your stamps are perfect.
Juliaxx

House of Bears said...

We love this. Christmas is absolutely our favourite time of the year and we love your vintage take on it.

Hels Sheridan said...

WOW, this is stunning, love all the details and the vintageness (new word?) of it all... thanks for joining in with the Sunday Stamper x

Silvia(Barnie) said...

Such a beautiful card, great vintage look.

Alie Hoogenboezem-de Vries said...

Woww what a great vintage look Alison!!! Love the hole in the front and the inside...gorgeous browns...so nice!

greetings, Alie :-)

Paper Profusion said...

Gorgeous card Alison. Those stamps are beautiful. Love the vintage hues. Welcome to Christmastime!! Nicola x

Anonymous said...

So much more than a tag especially with the creative use of an aperture.
Beautiful stamps Alison.
Yes, I adore this.
Wishes
Lynne

Hettie said...

Gorgeous tag there Alison. Love all the browns coming together. The stamps are stunning.
Need some large tags now.....you really do make me spend money!
x

Lisa Minckler said...

Now this is creative!!! I love the inventive way you've used this tag. You've created a magical scenery here with a peek-a-boo window and absolutely spread the holiday cheer! I for one am grateful you had to break your commitment to no Christmas cards. :)
hugs to you and now I'm off to peruse what I've missed.
Lisa xx

Anonymous said...

Oh Alison, this is really gorgeous! Love those images and your brilliant Vintage see-through design!! Great idea! HUGS :)

Unknown said...

Very beautiful.

Redanne said...

Fantastic idea to use a tag Alison, love, love the aperture too and the fact that there is ribbon at each end when it is opened - such a nice touch. A really gorgeous tag. Hugs, Anne x

Nan G said...

SO very vintage! Nice way to break down and so Christmas without using the usual colors. Love it! Now that must be some huge tag! Who makes the die? Or is it store bought? Hugs Nan

sam21ski said...

Great card, love the oldy worldly look of the vintage images but most of all I love you ribbon.

Sam xxx

Netty said...

Beautiful work as always, xx

Cec said...

Fabulous vintage creation. Love the layout and the fun window with Santa peeking out. Thanks for joining us at Sugar Creek Hollow.
Hugs!
Cec

Jenny Marples said...

Boy, when you do Christmas you do it so well. Some lovely ideas here - love the almost sepia tone to this as it reminds me of old children's books. Have a great weekend back home. Hugs, Buttons x

Debi said...

love the peek a boo window- lovely vintage card, I love Christmas- so my tree is up and i wish Christmas was coming sooner :-) Debi x

Daniele said...

wow such a lovely card so glad you joined us at Sugar Creek Hollow ths week
hugs

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

Hi Alison, gorgeous piece, love the vintage feel to this piece and the torn aperture is brilliant. Tracy x

Ann said...

Such a great vintage tag. I have blog candy if your interested, details here, http://theantiquewardrobe.blogspot.com/2012/11/christmas-blog-candy.html

Inkypinkycraft said...

Gorgeous vintage feel and yummy colours...
Oh my word you did Christmas in style....
A beautiful piece, love it! Trace. X

Tinie said...

Beautiful card with this colors!!
Thanks for joining us at EKEF!
groetjes Tinie

pearshapedcrafting said...

Just stunning Alison! What a fantastic idea, those stamps are perfect too! Au revoir, Chrisx

Karen McAlpine said...

So pretty! Love the peek-a-boo Santa. Really like how you added the gesso...great touch. Also like how you folded the tag in half..another great idea! I have been making Christmas stuff since July! That does sound crazy, doesn't it??!!

Lin said...

Beautifully done, love the vintage images! Thanks for playing along with us at the Simon Says Stamp challenge this week!

2amscrapper said...

I have these stamps, too! What you created with them is delightful!

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

Gorgeous....Love the window...so special! Vintage loveliness here!

chrissie said...

Fantastic ideas on this card--I love all of them and especially the cream/brown/white combo.

Love Chrissie xx

Brenda Brown said...

Fabulous Alison, such a great idea to put the aperture in.
Hugs Brenda xxx

Unknown said...

I love G45 and I love this card Alison! Fab idea with Santa and that little girl is adorable. Amazing DT work and I can't wait to see more. :) Have a wonderful weekend, hugs.

Janny Jager said...

Wowwwwwwwww Alison .
Great vintage christmas card.
Beautiful details.
Love it.
Greetings Janny

toni said...

Love this vintage style card x

Heather said...

Beautiful card!! I just love all the stamps, has such a great vintage Christmas feel! Thank you for joining us at Sugar Creek Hollow!!
Hugs
Heather

Terry said...

Beautiful vintage goodness! Love the neutral colors and images! Enjoy the weekend!

Chrissy said...

Beautiful vintage Christmas card Alison, love all the images...looks like me going to Christmas day church when I was little [er]..lol..love the details..

Luv CHRISSYxx

May said...

Beautiful vintage creation Alison.. The detail is Fabulous.. Love the aperture.. Love it all!! Hugs May x x x

Kate Yetter said...

SUch a lovely vintage card! I love the little kids! So pretty, Alison.

Neet said...

I love Graphic 45 in every way - love the stamps they do and not seen these gorgeous ones. You have made a beautiful card Alison and I just love the idea behind the aperture.
Hugs, Neet xx

Anne-Elise said...

Wow, this is gorgeous, Alison! Love this vintage creation, the image is so beautiful! Great work! Hugs

Marjie Kemper said...

Fabulous! Love the window and that sweet girl peeking through. You've been busy!

Bärbel said...

Wow, das ist eine großartige Karte, Alison! Ich liebe die schönen Stempelmotive und die Gestaltung mit dem Fenster, wo man bereits einen Ausschnitt des Motivs der nächsten Seite sehen kann, ganz wunderbar!

Margaret said...

This is fabulous! I love the idea of using the window to fill a space!