I'm travelling into a new way of working, a new country, a new language, and a new hobby which I'm passionate about. Come with me for some of the journey...

Thursday 22 November 2012

A sense of belonging



Hello all!  It's lovely to have your company for a while, and I'd like to say an especially big welcome to the new followers - thank you for jumping on board!

I'm going to try to be shorter in my post today - have to be at work, but I had such crafty fun at the weekend that I still haven't had a chance to share with you.

Regulars will remember me saying that I saw the amazing Leandra of PaperArtsy demo-ing at the Hobbycrafts show recently. I already knew when I went that I wanted to get some of the amazing PaperArtsy Fresco paints, and watching her playing with them (and some Ferro texture paste) really inspired me to have a play at the first opportunity.

That wasn't until the Sunday, so when it came I put on some "Sunday music", and this is one of the projects which "arrived" on the table in front of me...

Leandra was using this same mask with the Ferro to create the dimensional leaves, and then showing how to build layers of paint around the texture.

I hadn't planned on getting the Ferro, but you'll see - I think - why I couldn't resist it.





I started with a PaperArtsy hanging board - 8x4 and about half an inch deep.

I applied the Ferro through the mask, and dried it with a heat tool, which gives you that raised blistering on some of the leaves - lovely extra dimension.









The background is built up with various Fresco paints, layering and deepening the colours.

Then I used my tiny Versamagic chalk inkpad to highlight the leaves.

I also had a play with my new WOW music stamp - since I use music on at least half of what I make, it seemed like a good investment.


It's been stamped randomly for texture, just rolled on and off the surface, rather than stamped in full using an acrylic block.  












So that it wouldn't get altered by anything else I might decide to do, I stamped in Archival Ink using Library Green and Aquamarine.













I blended Peeled Paint DI through a Tando mask for the circle textures, as well as using it to distress the edges of the block.






Given I'm back doing a freelance stint with the company I left earlier this year in order to have more time for a life for myself, I'll leave you to determine where the words arose from...  But I'd guess they speak to anyone struggling to find the time and space to explore their own creativity in a world which makes so many demands on us all the time.
























But this really felt like a Sunday well spent (and there's more to share with you soon), so perhaps there's something to be said for not being able to get to the craft table for a few days... it was clearly all building up inside!!

But once I'd had a chance to play, my mood started to lift, and the world looked brighter again.

The board has a simple piece of twine to hang it up by, so I think I'll make sure that it hangs somewhere in my eyeline - a useful thought to glance up and see just at the moment.





Thank you so much for taking the time to drop in today... It would be lovely to hear what you make of my playing with paint; to me it feels like having found a new voice to speak with - I loved putting brush to board and seeing what the paint created there.  

Another revelation provided by this crafting journey.  I suspect you'll be seeing quite a lot more of it in the near future!

Be aware of wonder.  Live a balanced life - learn some and think some and draw and paint and sing and dance and play and work every day some.
Robert Fulghum

I'm entering this for the following:
The Artistic Stamper are having an Anything Goes challenge this month
Sketchy Colours - by a happy coincidence - are looking for White, Green and Turquoise
The Happy Daze challenge for November is to Brighten up the Month - you can buy the lovely Versamagic Dewdrop ink pads at the Happy Daze shop, as well as Peeled Paint DI and Ferro paste
Out of a Hat Creations have a Music challenge this week

47 comments:

Joynana said...

I would not call that playing, I would surely call it art. I love the colors and using that paste for the raised leaves. wonderful work. Joynana

chrissie said...

This is meaningful artwork Alison and I am so pleased that you joined in the music challenge at the Hatters and shared it with us.

Love the colours, the techniques and the very true quote.

Best wishes Chrissie xxxx

brenda said...

A lovely piece Alison, beautiful colours and textures.

B x

Astrid Maclean said...

Very Inspiring, all the textures (and the colours of course) look amazing!
I would love to see Leandra play one day, but sadly Paper Artsy never seems to make it up to the Scottish shows:o(

Anonymous said...

Beautiful relief design achieved with the mask and paints and I just love the colour choice. Quite wonderful.
Wishes
Lynne

Rosie said...

Sooo wonderful, Alison, love every detail

Inkypinkycraft said...

A really beautiful make and great sentiment, the colours are gorgeous and lve the textures you have created! Trace x

Chrissy said...

This is gorgeous Alison, I love the raised leaves and gorgeous colours.Love how you did the sentiment...beautiful work.

Luv CHRISSYxx

Sandra's Spot said...

Wonderful arty hanging Alison, I just love the texture and colour and especially the sentimentbstraight from your heart I thonk and Keep painting. Thanks for joining us at OOAH. Hugs Sandra X

sam21ski said...

Gorgeous colours and great texture. Have you tried mixing either texture paste or the ferro with some puff paint and putting that through a stencil, this creates even more texture.

Sam xxx

froebelsternchen said...

glamourous ... I don´t find a better term!

Claudia N. said...

Mixed media and paint really seem to be wonderful instruments for expressing your "voice", Alison!

That canvas is a wonderful piece of art. Full of thought, tenderness and beauty!

Hugs,
Claudia xx

Anonymous said...

A fabulous piece of art Alison, very inspiring! x

Cestina said...

Oh this is lovely. What a glorious colour - definitely to be hung in your line of sight!

Sophie said...

Superschön in Türkis.

Janny Jager said...

Great Artwork Alison.
Beautiful textures .colors and background.
Greetings Janny

Paper Profusion said...

An absolute beauty Alison! Really beautiful. Especially love the colours and leaf work in paste (I was also blistering paint this evening!) but your piece is an artwork. Nicola x

Twiglet said...

Bit late for WOYWW but I am glad I landed here today - what a lovely project - clever you! x Jo

Alie Hoogenboezem-de Vries said...

Gorgeous result...love the depth!
The coulour is so nice and the fabric under the text..lovely!
Great work!

greetings, Alie :-)

Silvia(Barnie) said...

Such a fantastic canvas, love the colors and the texture. Great saying.

mytawnyinspirations said...

Alison, this is a beautiful piece of art. The colours look great and the leaves are fabulous. I can see you having heaps of fun playing and experimenting with this medium. Enjoy your weekend. Cheers, Di

Francesca said...

Your take on Leandra's demo is fab. Love your colours. Hugs Francesca

Netty said...

I bought some of these hangings as well, they are fab and such great value.
Loving all the texture and your colour palette and of course those very meaningful words.
Thank you so much for joining in with the Happy Daze Challenge, Annette x

KristyLee said...

Wow, this is very way cool and so beautiful, so very Artsy! Super great job!

toni said...

Hi there night owl, you're always catching me doing my late posts! Thankyou so much for your inspiring comments, the music stamp is one I've had for a long time I think it was from either Stampington or Stamp Francisco. I love your latest project gorgeous colours and thought provoking words. I've not got the Ferro but have something called Artist's Spackle which is similar but possibly doesn't have the texture of the Ferro. Beautiful work as always Alison x

Brenda Brown said...

Fabulous colour, texture and dimension Alison. Definitely time well spent at the table. Love it.
Hugs Brenda xxx

Jenny Marples said...

Those leaves have come out just like Leandra's and have made me even more determined to play with Ferro. You have got such depth into this piece through the various layers, and it is one of those that needs a longer linger to really pick up all the details. Looking forward to the next instalment already. Hugs, Buttons x

Asia King (aka Joanna K) said...

Woooow! Gorgeous texture and fantastic rich colours. Great art Alison! And the sentiment is very inspirational, too! Hugs xxx

Gio said...

Love the quote, the shade, the texture..everything of this wonderful piece!

Cathy L. Calamas said...

I just used texture paint for the first time a few weeks ago and I just love the stuff. Now I am going to have to look for that versamagic chalk ink. :) turned out beautifully and I agree , a Sunday well spent.

Bärbel said...

Das Board verdient es unbedingt, einen Platz an Ihrer Wand zu finden, Alison, der wunderbar texturierte Hintergrund und die darin eingebetteten Blätter lassen es so edel aussehen.
Ein schönes Wochenende und liebe Grüße.

gayle said...

It looks wonderful, loving all the layers and textures (and the message!) xx

Andrea Small said...

ooh - gorgeous. Love the colours and the texture x

cbee said...

Wow, this is so beautiful - can't find more words!

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

BEA-U-TIFUL!!! Love the stenciled texture...you nailed that! The color is fab...just a gorgeous make! Although, I am pretty sure I belong to my children though....until I go out of town unattended!!! LOL!

Janet said...

Gorgeous textures on your hanging,the fresco paints are lovely to use & dry so quick,great use of your music stamp.
Thanks for joining us at Out of a Hat
Janet x

Hettie said...

This is another stunning piece of artwork Alison.
We not only bought similar goodies from Paperartsy we both bought the same Wow stamp too!
Love your hanging board. Mine is still in its packet calling me.
Hugs
xx

Maya said...

Such a beautiful tag!
Love all the details!!
Thank you for joining us at Sketchy Colors,
hugs from Maya

ria gall said...

Hi Butterfly
WOW WOW WOW what an amazing piece of art work. The colours and texture work so well and the words speak volumes.
I love this
Ria

Bonnie Irvine said...

Just lovely! Your background is has so much depth and interest. Love the sentiment and the way you displayed it. This is a fabulous piece ... lovely to look at and an important reminder, too.

Sam & Poppy said...

Absolutely stunning Alison, thanks so much for joining us at Happy Daze x

Anonymous said...

Hi Alison. Wow!!! Fabulous board.

Annie said...

Love the texture you have created here Alison. I really like inking a blank canvas and then just playing. It is amazing where creativity can take you.

Hugs Annie x

Anonymous said...

Fantastic project Alison. Really enjoyed reading how you made this. Fabulous texture and colour. Thank you so much for sharing with the Hatters this week. Inspiring ideas as always.
Regards Florence xx

Neet said...

Just love that colour you have used and the blistering on the leaves is awesome. Think I know why you had to have that Ferro.
An absolutely beautiful tag Alison.
Hugs, Neet xx

Marjie Kemper said...

I'm loving your color choices and that texture is stunning! Great way you've done the quote, too. Lovely.

maj. said...

Beautiful! I love it!