I'm travelling into a new way of working, a new country, a new language, and a new hobby which I'm passionate about. Come with me for some of the journey...

Sunday 25 November 2012

Much relief...

Hello and welcome, with an especially big welcome to the new followers... I'm so happy to have your company today, and I hope your Sunday is restful and restorative, whatever it is you're up to.

A quick share today of a card I've just made as a thank you for the gift of sleep.


Regular readers will know I'm working away from home at the moment (one more week...), and staying in temporary accommodation.  

It's a perfectly decent little flat (owned by the theatre company I'm working for), with an amazing view right onto the river, but the one major problem was the bedding.

As I get older, I'm getting more and more particular about my bed, duvet and pillows, and this was just your cheap-as-chips basic fare, so for the first few nights I got barely any sleep, and also developed a very stiff neck.  





One of the actors - with whom I'm also good friends (we've worked together almost continuously for more than six years now) - came magnificently to the rescue by lending me the spare pillows he'd brought up for his partner, who's not due to come and stay until the end of this week - perfect timing!

So thanks to him, I've slept beautifully, and am so relieved to say all stiffness has retreated... he saved my neck, literally!

I wanted to create a card that had something of a historical feel, given that we've worked mainly on Shakespeare together.






The lettering is done using Ferro paste with the gorgeous Mini Antiquities template by Crafter's Workshop.  

I used PaperArtsy Fresco paints in Nougat, Old Gold and French Roast to build up layers of colour on the kraft card I used. 









With my finger, I smeared some more Old Gold onto the raised lettering (also a form of relief, I suppose!) to highlight it.


I left a paler area for the lettering - a Shakespeare quotation seemed appropriate, given that he's the house playwright, and the pen nib also seemed right as an addition.  






The edges of the card have been given some rough texture with the Tim Holtz Paper Distresser and some Gathered Twigs DI.

The little corner stamp is by BoBunny.
















On the inside of the card it's stamped in Coffee Archival over some rough brushwork, like an old plaster wall.  

I've now written inside it my grateful thanks to him, along with the line about him saving my neck!  Now all I have to do is make an envelope the right size...

Thanks for dropping in today.  I'm so grateful, as always, for your visits and your amazingly generous comments.  Have a wonderful week, and see you soon!

For this relief, much thanks.
Hamlet I.i

I can no other answer make but thanks, and thanks, and ever thanks.
Twelfth Night III.iii
Both by William Shakespeare

I'm entering this in the following:
Simon Says Stamp and Show's challenge Thank You
At Pile It On they would like to see Anything but a Christmas Card

39 comments:

Cestina said...

"If were done when 'tis done, then t'were well it's done so fitly...."

(with apologies to the house playwright and hoping it's sufficiently misquoted to incur no wrath of the theatre gods.....)

Annie said...

Love the vintage feel created here Alison. The writing is stunning. I must admit I am very particular about my pillows as you know it's awful if you can't get your sleep.

You will be glad to return home to all your crafty things and comfortable bed
I had a fab time in London and Andrea Bocelli was superb. A very modest/humble man with such a beautiful gift.

Hoping to post Monday/ Tuesday time is just flying by.

Crafty hugs

Annie x

Andrea Small said...

ooh that's nice - what a lovely way to say thank you x

Inkypinkycraft said...

A beautiful make in gorgeous colours and I love what you are doing with the paste!!!!
Looks wonderful
Delightful colours too
Glad you got some sleep trace x

House of Bears said...

This is so lovely, it has an old world feel to it. Love the colours used too.

There's nothing like your own bed is there.

Astrid Maclean said...

STUNNING!!! Love the raised text, it looks fantastic! Great colours also, a fantastic card all round!!!

Oh and glad you got some sleep at last!

Dan said...

I really love the texture and the great vintage feel you've achieved here. Thanks for joining us for this week's Simon Says Stamp and Show Challenge!

sam21ski said...

Fabulous card, love that stencil and how you've built the layers with the paints, it looks brilliant

Sam xxx

Shelby said...

Yea for friends! Glad he was able to rescue you and help give you a bit of sleep. The card is wonderful and so elegantly done that I'm sure he will absolutely love it.

Shelby

Alie Hoogenboezem-de Vries said...

This is so different...it has a great vintage look, love the raised words, the darker and lighter parts...love the card :-)

greetings, Alie

Sandra said...

Beautiful card! Great to hear you got some sleep and what a great thank you card for your friend! Thank you so much for joining us at Simon Says Stamp and Show. Hugs, Sandra

Paper Profusion said...

Wonderful work here Alison with ferro. The whole project looks and I imagine feels fabulous. Hope your last week goes wonderfully. Nicola x

Anonymous said...

I simply love the texture you created. It reminds me of old brass rubbings, remember when you would take paper and a candle and the wonder at viewing the picture of text as it became clearer.
Stunning effect.
Wishes
Lynne

toni said...

Beautiful card i love the way you are using the relief paste. I'm always having pillow dilemmas i've yet to find the ideal one ! X

May said...

Fantastic card Alison, Love the raised text Fabulous texture! Beautiful colour with a hint of gold.. Great use of the pen nib.. Love it all.. Hugs May x x

Anonymous said...

The raised text looks wonderful Alison, a perfect thank you card for your playwrite friend.
Alison x

chrissie said...

This is just brilliant and will be well appreciated as was the pillow.

Love Chrissie xx

Brenda Brown said...

A wonderful texturised thank you for your friend Alison. The aged colours and plaster effect with the fabulous stamping are so effective.
Hugs Brenda xxx

Mrs.B said...

This is fabulous - again, love the colours with the gold highlighting on the letters.
Avril xx

Nan G said...

The random nature of the texture is great and the glow coming from the edge is....it's all fab! Very old world.

Hettie said...

This is wonderful Alison and I am sure your friend will love it. I just love all the layers and olde worlde look!
Hugs
xx

Anna-Karin said...

Beautiful card Alison! Love the relief text and the great sentiment. Lovely colours and textures. I recently got a new pillow for myself, and gone was my stiff neck, so I know what you mean. Thank you for sharing with us at Simon Says Stamp and Show!

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

Fab texture! Looks like a wonderful piece of an old facade of much beloved building!

Claudia N. said...

I know that problem with "foreign beds", Alison,

so I can totally understand your gratefulness about this rescue. And that lovely card you made, shows how thankful you are. So very very beautiful!!!! Love the colours and the old gold and nougat tones!!! And the texture is just awesome! Love, love, love!!!!

Hugs,
Claudia xx

Silvia(Barnie) said...

That's a fablous creation, great texture on it.

Netty said...

A perfect card for your friend. Just cannot manage without a decent nights sleep and totally sympathise with you. Hugs Annette x

Janny Jager said...

There's nothing like your own bed is there Alison.
i also can sleep just in my own bed.

The card you made is great and a nice way to say thanks.

Greetings Janny

Asia King (aka Joanna K) said...

Beautiful texture you created here. This piece is truly inspirational - and I love the masculine feel! Amazing!!! xx

Jenny Marples said...

Knew you'd do something fabulous with this mask. Love the colours you've layered over the Ferro. Such an aged feel with a sense of mystery. Bet your friend will be delighted with it. Hugs, Jenny x

Kjersti said...

A wonderful creation Alison, fantastic colurs and ...just so beautiful!
Have a nice week!
Hugs Kjersti:)

Terry said...

What a most wonderful "Thank You" and I know it will be treasured! Just love this aged feel with the paste and paints! Beautiful!

Katherine said...

Just beautiful I love all that texture and glad you are getting some decent sleep now :)

Bärbel said...

Eine großartige Karte, Alison, die Schrift sieht aus, als wäre sie in Stein gehauen, ganz wunderbar!

Kezzy said...

I have to admit I take my pillows everywhere I go (while in UK). I am allergic to feathers and find that some places have them and duvets which I can't use either. There is nothing like a bad nights sleep especially while away as it makes it worse so I am glad that he came to the rescue. I so love the card and love the vintage Shakespeare feel to it. Hugs Kerry xxx

craftimamma said...

This is such a beautiful heartfelt card Alison. The lettering with the Ferro paste is so effective and I think I must look up that particular template. The corner stamp is really lovely and fits the style of the card to perfection. This is a wonderful way to say thankyou.

Hugs
Lesley Xx

Neet said...

Good old Paperartsy - what a lovely piece of artwork you have done - again! You really are a beautiful worker and I so enjoy visiting your blog.
Glad your friend sorted you out, I always take my pillow (£88 - costabomb) on holiday with me in this country. Sleepless nights only allowed when abroad.

Hugs, Neet xx

Bonnie Irvine said...

Wow! I'd trade you a pillow any day for a beautiful card like this. It looks like a piece of architectural salvage from a lovely old building. I really like the relief effect.

Julia S-W said...

Gorgeously atmospheric and vintage looking. I think an amazing story could be woven around this piece as a central link in the tale. Oops! I'm getting carried away here!
Think I'm up to date with your wonderful creations. Thanks for your continued visits to me too.
Have a wonderful weekend.
Juliaxx

Deanne Saunders said...

Cool card! Thanks for participating in our PILE IT ON challenge!!

~DEANNE~