I'm travelling into a new way of working, a new country, a new language, and a new hobby which I'm passionate about. Come with me for some of the journey...

Thursday 1 May 2014

Odds and Ends




Hello everyone and welcome - for the second time today, perhaps - so let's offer up an especially big welcome to the newest followers... so happy to have you with us.

If you missed it at midnight, check out my offering for you for the new Artistic Stamper challenge, In the Garden.

But here and now it's time for some inspiration for the Our Creative Corner May challenge.

The fabulous Linda Coughlin - a.k.a. The Funkie Junkie - is offering us the chance to play with our scraps again, so if you Love Your Leftovers, come and join in.

Everything on my hanging was sitting around on my craft table, either leftover, or half-made and abandoned, or simply experimental... then left lying around.





So the background paper for my main image was leftover from my beer mat Artist's Trading Block a month or so ago.  I stuck it onto a Tando Mixed Media Board whose painty surface had ended up not pleasing me, so needed covering with paper.

I also stamped the lovely Artistic Outpost Cocoa Boy (from the Think and Wonder stamp set - maybe he'll grow up into a Coffee Guy (Generation Redux) one day!) onto it at that point, thinking how well the Potting Soil Archival looked against the stony background.

And then I stalled... so there he sat on his Mixed Media Board (MMB), waiting for further inspiration to strike.  Enter Linda's challenge theme...







The Honeycomb Frameworks were part of an experiment with the Wendy Vecchi Crackle Paste.  

I try out new products and techniques on tags (don't we all, thanks to Tim Holtz?!), and for this one, I'd put down the Gold Embossing Paste, allowed it to dry, and then added the Crackle Paste over the top.








Once that was dry and crackled, I blended Archival Inks over it as I'd seen Wendy herself do on her blog.

The tag sat there for a while (several days at least) and then as I was working on something or other I had what I thought was a brainwave, and cut the tag using the Honeycomb die.


I loved both the frames and the little pieces, and how the gold glowed from underneath.   

But somehow it didn't work on that particular project, so the honeycombs stalled too...

The bits and frames sat on my desk too for a good couple of weeks before this project turned up to give them a home.










They turned out to be just perfect to layer into the composition... and I enjoyed arranging them just on the edge of the MMB, so that they hang suspended there in mid-air.











I also had some Wallflower paper scraps left from making my Fragments wooden tag a couple of weeks ago.

I ran some of the leftover bits through the die too, so as to have some contrasting pieces of honeycomb.









Well, this new paper from Tim Holtz is far too beautiful to throw any of it away, even the smallest scrap.

When I made the Fragments, I had to cut quite unthriftily to get the flowers I wanted, so there were plenty of odd-shaped scraps left.












Some of the larger leftover pieces are tucked in behind the Cocoa Boy...

... ripped and rolled at the edges for extra texture and shabbiness of course.












All the layers create quite a lot of dimension which, as regulars will know, I love!













The MMB is quite thick and sturdy, so that helps.




There are always, but always, odds and ends of book pages lying around on the table.

I grabbed a couple of snippets and ran them through the BigShot with Tim's Movers and Shapers butterflies, and then inked the edges with Walnut Stain and Gathered Twigs.







Double inspiration from Linda here, as a couple of butterflies just like this arrived in one of my Funkie Junkie Boutique orders recently.












And the other thing which can always always be found on or around (or, in fact, usually underneath) the craft table is a pile of corrugated cardboard, so some of that was pressed into service as the base for the hanging.












A rough coat of WhiteWash DecoArt paint, and some Weathered White embossing powder, and it was good to go.  

I added some Weathered White embossing powder to the edges of the MMB too, to tie it in more strongly.  

And some eyelets and twine to hang the whole thing up by, of course.






I also did some spattering once it was all glued together, and overall I'm really happy with my scrappy little make... scrappy-happy, that's me!


Do hop over to Our Creative Corner and see what my amazing team-mates have been creating - I promise you'll be inspired!  And we'd love to see what leftovers you've got hoarded and how you press them into use... do come show us how much you Love Your Leftovers.

You'll find all the challenge guidelines and rules over at OCC, and you have until the 28th of the month.  There are lots of birthday celebrations over at OCC this month too, as we celebrate the one-year anniversary of the relaunch under Laura's ownership.  You'll find those details over at Our Creative Corner too...

Hope to see you there and/or In The Garden over at The Artistic Stamper challenge, where you have until the end of the month to play...

All life is an experiment.  The more experiments you make, the better.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

58 comments:

froebelsternchen said...

OH WOW.. an amazing piece Alison! GORGEOUS!

Almo said...

There is so much lovliness on this tag Alison. I absolutly adore the crackle frameworks, and the rustic combination of gesso, corrugated board and gesso is breathtaking. Mo x

Almo said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jenny Marples said...

Utterly inspiring as ever Alison. I love the way you've used the crackle tag in this and the way those splatters have pulled it all together perfectly. Jenny x

Claudia N. said...

Oooooh, yessss! LOVE this, Alison! A lot of my favourite stuff on there - but perfectly arranged and the parts work all so very well together! Mwah!

Claudia x

Sophie said...

Und wieder so ein Meisterstück von dir.
Eine wundervolle Tasche, die man statt einem Gemälde auch an die Wand hängen kann.
Traumhaft schön.

Scrumplescrunch said...

Hello Alison
You have certainly covered this Challenge hands down, the way you have used up the left overs in such an eclectic way is a compliment to your skill in design and composition as this Tag has all the necessary elements to hold the viewers eye. I love the wild abandon that is going on, with all your layers. Great work as always.
Smiles:)
Sue

JansArtyJunk said...

WOW...It's amazing what you can do with some leftovers...this is absolutely beautiful!! :)

Sue said...

Just amazing as always Alison, love the layers and the textures and the great shabby feel to this xx

Unknown said...

Another fab, fab project Alison. Sometimes we need artists like you to remind us what we can do with our scraps, lol. This is beautiful! Chris xxx

hazel said...

This is amazing Alison, I love all the layers and fabulous textures.
xxx Hazel.

Rita said...

Good Morning Alison. I totally agree with Chris, I have very rarely used my scrap box. Your creation is fabulous and maybe I'll give this Challenge a try. Enjoy your Day. Hugs Rita xxx

Netty said...

Love your chunky many layered hanging Alison, great work as always, Annette x

http://nettysartadventures.blogspot.co.uk/

Ellie Knol said...

This is so amazingly beautiful!

Marci said...

You are so funny, "Cocoa Boy might grow up to be Coffee Man". This echoes the ivy it is laying on so beautifully. You have used things I have been wondering about (WV crackle paste, TH frameworks dies) so very well, it makes me need them -:).

Marci said...

I love the whole hanging! When you have time, lol, what did you use to get such wonderful splatters?

ElizabethR said...

Gorgeous leftovers! Love the new TH papers and understand them not going in the bin. Elizabeth xxx

Julie Lee said...

What a stunning piece created from 'leftovers'! I love what you did with the WV gold and crackle. I really must try that too!Don't you just love brainwaves! This project has a gorgeous vintage, patchwork feel. I love it! Julie Ann xxx

Redanne said...

Oh wow Alison, what a fabulous way to use up left-overs, really loving the crackled and speckled frameworks! Anne xx

Dorthe said...

Alison,
What a beautiful tag, made from leftovers ! That green tone you used is gorgeous, with the white and the splatter on it, and all your bits works fantastic together. Love the butterflyes !!
Hugs from Dorthe

May said...

WOW...Amazing way to use up crafty scraps...Gorgeous work Alison...Love all the yummy layers... Hugs May x x

Astrid Maclean said...

Brilliant! Love how you pieced al of this together, fantastic use of those wonderful leftovers!

Helen said...

As always, Alison, this is beautiful - that paper stash is now on my must have list never mind wish list!! Love the honeycomb die shapes, they look gorgeous.

Corrie Herriman said...

Love all the yummy layers, great little hanging !
COrrie x

Evelyn Walter said...

Ohhhh, so stunning again, dear Alison! Love the layering and the little cocoa boy is wonderful!
xxx Evelyn

cathylynn said...

Alison your leftovers have turned into a delightful main course. Love it all! Fantastic layers, textures and colors. Your techniques are fantastic!
Hugs, Cathy-Lynn

rachel said...

an amazing make from your leftovers - really beautiful alison - hugs xx

Terry said...

Alison your scraps have been turned into a masterpiece! What a gorgeous hanging and I so love that texture and lovely colors! Oh and I adore that image! Hugs!

Anonymous said...

Isn't it such fun when you can use leftovers, I love that aspect of creating and obviously we are alike :)
The stamping surface of your AO image is fabulous, I love the textural appearance of it.
Wishes
Lynne

Meggymay said...

I love your hanging, great to use up left overs in such a fantastic way.
Yvonne

ionabunny said...

This is gorgeous. You have some great leftovers. If I do this my project will have to include chillies! I don't know. I found them under some papers earlier. I'm sure there is a valid reason why I have chillies on my desk. Maybe.

Unknown said...

Alison, I loved reading how this project evolved. It's wonderful! Off to check out your AO project now. :) xx

Mona Pendleton said...

Gorgeous Alison! Love all the texture, layers and splatters of paint! You have a great eye for detail!

Kezzy said...

Wow wow wow never thought leftovers could look so good. I have lots of leftovers in a pot on my desk so I definitely think I need to have a play lol. I love the centre image and the potting soil does look fab. The honeycomb is awesome, I haven't yet succumbed to Wendy's crackle medium as I have so many crackles, but I might end up with it in the end lol. Kezzy :-) xxx

Rika said...

This is stunning!

chrissie said...

What a wonderful way to use your left overs. All go together so well and make it a touchy feely sort of piece :)

Love Chrissie x

Hettie said...

This is gorgeous Alison. Just love that hexagon die. Another one on my wish list.
Hugs
x

Unknown said...

This is Fantastic, Alison! You've got some good left-overs ;)
I love all of the textures and layers and of course, how can I resist--I love your paint splatters!! :) Fabulous inspiration, Alison! I've got piles of left-overs and unfinished projects--now, what to do for Our Creative Corner? ;)
XOXO-Shari

Kay Wallace said...

A wonderfully layered tag, Alison! I have been playing with Wendy's embossing pasts and Tim's honeycomb die, too, and with great results. I love using corrugated cardboard in my art and have only recently been using it to make whole tags. I am loving that, too! We are certainly on the same page here! Love it!

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

Your work always makes me happy! Love the corrugated and the layers underneath and on top! Just stunning!

Netty said...

Gorgeous work as always Alison, Annette x

http://nettysartadventures.blogspot.co.uk/

craftytrog said...

Simply stunning Alison, & great use of your precious scraps!
Alison xxx

Silvia(Barnie) said...

So fantastic, it's a gorgeous project with wonderful details.

Sandy said...

Odds and ends and so many friends!!
Out of this world wonderful Alison - you are so creative - what a designer - bravo!!! Love that green color and now I am going to have to go back and study this word for word for word for word!!
Sandy xx

Meihsia Liu said...

This is such a beautiful creation as always, Alison. Love all the gorgeous details. :)

Unni A said...

Stunning! I'm out of words, even if my english was better I think I would be out of words. You make the most wonderful creations, I love all the details and colors.
hugs, Unni

Lisa Minckler said...

Holy heavens! I was elated with the honeycomb pattern, but then you added crackle to it all and my heart was in my throat with excitement...it nearly jumped right out of me. This is GORGEOUS!!!!

Anke said...

Wonderful Alison, your work is so lovely. FANTASTIC !!!

Hugs
Anke

Ana K. said...

Gorgeous!

Lucy Edmondson said...

I love this so much, Alison!

Lucy x

Dianne said...

Well I always say that (scraps) left overs make the most beautiful creations. Your corrugate ones are always my favorite, I love how you incorporated the die honeycombs,love the coffee boy and the crackling is fabulous, I love the fragments of Tim's paper, I looooove the book page butterflies, all the splattering on top is like the icing on the cake. This is a SUPERB creation, thanks for sharing..

Kasia said...

Fabulous creation, Alison! Love the way you used these lovely bits and frames :)

Brenda Brown said...

Wonderful layers and imagery, love the colours too and the white splatters xx

barbarayaya62 said...

Love love love your use of corrugated cardstock! Thanks to you I have taken courage and I'm starting to use it too! thanks for your inspirations! BArbarayaya

barbarayaya62 said...

Love love love your use of corrugated cardstock! Thanks to you I have taken courage and I'm starting to use it too! thanks for your inspirations! BArbarayaya

Annie said...

Wonderful layers and textures Alison.....great details and the whole shabby feel

TFS and hugs Annie x

Jools Robertson said...

Really beautiful, love all of the paint effects and the layers are stunning. Brilliant use of the honeycomb and lovely colours

Jools x

Kate Yetter said...

Your background is fabulous! I love how you used that TH die. And the white paint splatters are amazing!
Kate