I'm travelling into a new way of working, a new country, a new language, and a new hobby which I'm passionate about. Come with me for some of the journey...

Friday 4 January 2013

Tim(e) to play...


Hello all, so glad you've found time to drop in, and an especially big welcome to the new followers.  Today, I'm sharing my take on Tim's first tag of 2013.  I was so thrilled to see he was continuing the 12 Tags this year, as I had no way of playing the full set in 2012...

It seems incredible, but this time last year, I hadn't even heard of him...  I know!!

It was at the end of January 2012 that I bought my first Tim Holtz product - the Crowded Attic paper stash, since you ask, and no I'm not telling you how much TH stash I now have!

I only discovered and joined Craftyblogland in June, but even then my tag participation was off-and-on... I've decided that this year I'm really going to try to play along with all 12.  And I'm starting out with a pretty "straight" version - mainly because I absolutely loved Tim's inspiration tag for January.  So here's mine.

I had many of the things required, though not all of them (still some stuff for the wishlist), so there are a few substitutions.

No film strip ribbon, no apothecary labels, no calendar stamp for the ribbon and, probably most significantly, no TH Gadget Gears die.  Also, there seems to be some size variation on the stamps - one bigger, one smaller - but overall I'm very happy with the result.



Because of my current obsession with turquoise, I couldn't resist using my new Peacock Feathers DI as one of my layered colours when I was inking the tag embossed with the Clock Texture Fade.

I also used Antique Linen and Vintage Photo, and then blended some Pumice Stone over the whole thing for a deeper, grungier shade.

I used some Gathered Twigs to darken the edges of both the main tag and the quote.  This was stamped on one of my coffee-stained tags and trimmed to size, before attaching the adorable Idea-ology hinge clip and sticking it to the tag with padded tape.








Since I didn't have the film strip ribbon, I stamped the TH film strip stamp onto some acetate and cut it out, giving it some nice distressed edges as I went.  

The pointing finger, like all the stamping, was done in Black Archival so that it would keep its lovely crispness as I inked over the top to get the paper to blend with the rest of the tag.  I wiped the edges across the Archival pad to get the black shading too.







You can see the finger got caught in the crossfire as I was flicking water at the tag background... but I decided to make a virtue of the imperfection and gave the droplet shapes a tiny sweep of Peacock Feathers to highlight them.






As far as the gears go, I'm both very happy and very cross about them.  I love the finish on them... taking Tim's technique of using the Metallic Distress Stains on the Grungepaper, I mixed Pewter and Tarnished Brass onto them.

Then I sanded them a bit to roughen the texture in places and blended Gathered Twigs and some more Peacock Feathers on to distress them further.  I love the greenish hint of decaying copper the Peacock Feathers gives them.









But getting that far was a bit trickier.  Rather than the Gadget Gears, I got myself a bargain set of Spellbinders Sprightly Sprockets last year - thinking they had a few more sizes and shapes which could be useful... but can I get them to cut cleanly?  Can I heck?!











I've tried shims and all sorts, but in the end I had to sort of tear them out of the Grungepaper (and no, they don't seem to want to cut ordinary paper/card either) and then trim the edges - which got a bit boring, so I'm afraid there are some rough edges.  Alterations all the way for me next time.

Having said all that, I do love the finished look, with the Idea-ology gears piled high on top...

And because I quite like things sticking out over the edges of my tags, I decided not to trim them to fit, but leave them exploding out of the frame of the tag - as with the film strip and the finger too.






My final adaptation was for the ribbon at the top.  Since I didn't have a calendar image to stamp directly onto the ribbon (though I do love stamping onto ribbon), I decided to think laterally.  

I used some of the calendar tissue tape from the Traveler set and stuck it to some ribbon.  I brought the Peacock Feathers back into play to give it a hint of colour, and threaded it through to finish off the tag.










So that's my January tag.  I'm so looking forward to tackling a full year's worth of the amazing TH's inspirational work.  Thanks so much for spending some time here at Words and Pictures today.  Hope to see you again soon, either here or elsewhere in Craftyblogland.

I'm entering this in the following:
As my January tag for Tim Holtz's 12 Tags of 2013

I hope that in this year to come, you make mistakes.

Because if you are making mistakes, then you are making new things, trying new things, learning, living, pushing yourself, changing yourself, changing your world. You're doing things you've never done before, and more importantly, you're Doing Something.

So that's my wish for you, and all of us, and my wish for myself. Make New Mistakes. Make glorious, amazing mistakes. Make mistakes nobody's ever made before. Don't freeze, don't stop, don't worry that it isn't good enough, or it isn't perfect, whatever it is: art, or love, or work or family or life.

Whatever it is you're scared of doing, Do it.

Make your mistakes, next year and forever.
Neil Gaiman

57 comments:

Lisa Minckler said...

Enchanting details on this piece Alison. Right down to the very out of the box thinking to use the calendar tissue tape, that's a perfect idea!!
Beautiful work and I still love that you use a tree for your display easel. ;)
Happy New Year and hugs to you my friend.
Lisa xx

Inkypinkycraft said...

Alison, your work on this tag , as always is wonderful...I too love Tims tags ..and made all 12 last year...hope to do the same this year ..they are amazing! Full of techniques, tips and inspiration!!! A wonderful make trace x

Deborah said...

I should think you are quite happy with the result - it's fantastic. And all the better for you improvising.

Jenny Marples said...

Love your 'proper' version Alison. Great choice of colours which blend seamlessly and the tissue tape ribbon is inspired. My sprockets dies cut grungepaper as long as I put the dies to the edge of the plates and run them through a couple of times (mind I am using a GC). Apparently the pressure is greater at the edges? Don't give up with them just yet hun. They are dead useful:) Hugs, Jenny x

Martina said...

My God, Alison! It looks better than Tim's tag (may I say this????) Really excellent! I hope you had a wonderful Christmas?
Wishing you a healthy, happy, and joyous New Year! I look forward to more of your beautiful creations in 2013!
Hugs MARTINA

Redanne said...

I really love your 'adapt and overcome' approach Alison! I have the same problem as you with the sprightlies in my Big Shot and always try to but them one at a time now, seems to work. So glad you said you did not know Tim this time last year for I did not either! He and his products are my new addiction....... Hugs, Anne x

PS - your tag is BRILLIANT!

craftytrog said...

Fantastic tag Alison! The finish on the gears looks amazing! xx

Yvonne Garner said...

Hi Alison! Your tag takes my breath away! I just love your work. Happy New Year! Best, Yvonne

JoZart Designs said...

Is that REALly only a tag... it has so much detail and interest and looks like it should be a major project! Great creative start to 2013....
Happy New Year,
Love jo x

Debi said...

looks fab Alison, I can never get over the short time you've been crafting, you are a natural! here's to the next 11 tags :-) Debi x

sam21ski said...

And now you've heard of him you've had an empty pocket since - lol

Fab tag, I really enjoyed making mine and yours looks brilliant.

Sam xxx

Paper Profusion said...

FAB tag Alison - who is this Tim guy anyway??

Love all your own inspired choices. That yummy bark background would make a great embossing folder!

Nicola x

Chrissy said...

Fantastic tag Alison...Mr Timmy better watch out, he has top knotch competition..brilliant..

Thanks for the tip on uploading my pictures...apparently I'm not alone with this drama, so will just wait patiently..

Luv CHRISSYxx

Rosie said...

Wow, your tag is fantastic, love every detail on it, Alison

Netty said...

You are so versatile, from shabby chic to now manly steam punk....great work Alison. Annette x

Linda Coughlin, the funkie junkie said...

Your take on Tim's January tag is sensational - much enhanced with your subtle differences. Love what you did the the Peacock Feathers! I'm waiting on a delivery from Ranger - can't wait to get my hands on the new stains. Awesome inspiration here as usual.

Hugs,
Linda

Alie Hoogenboezem-de Vries said...

Great steampunk details in such nice colours, Alison. The text is great ...
Nice nice ...greetings, Alie :-)

TAM said...

Brilliant take on Tim's January tag.

Anne-Elise said...

Wow, gorgeous work, Alison! Love all the fab details! I wish you all the best for this new year!! Hugs

Terry said...

I love your choice of colors and I also love that peacock feathers! Gorgeous take on Tim's January tag! Have a fabulous 2013! Hugs!

Astrid Maclean said...

Stunning tag Alison and I love your adaptations!! I adore how you have done the filmstrip, it looks brilliant, and the pointing hand is fantastic too, little touches like edging it with the Archival again just make all the difference. I have up until now always resisted any of Tim's tags (a bit like you and Christmas)but I have to say I have been very much taken by all the ones I have seen so far, so maybe I am going to have to succumb...

gayle said...

Love this tag!! And love the quote, Neil Gaiman is awesome :) happy new year! x

catherine said...

This is a fantastic take on the tag and just love the layout to it. I must pop over and have a go again this year myself.
x catherine

Laurart said...

Gorgeous tag! Wish I was being as creative. I have no ideas at all! I look at all the stuff and am completely blank....:o( xxxxx

Sarah said...

Great job of improvising! I never seem to have all of the ingredients either.

Unknown said...

Wow Alison, this tag is chock full of all things T!m and I love it. You always include so much detail and each one is a visual delight. Hope 2013 is a great year for you!

chrissie said...

What a wonderful tag and well done for taking up the challenge straight away.

Love Chrissie xx

Brenda Brown said...

Full of amazing detail and such a brilliant interpretation. A great read as always too.
Hugs Brenda xxx

Patti P. said...

Allison, I haven't seen Tim's tag yet but it can't be more gorgeous than yours! If this is how far you've come in one year using TH, can't wait to see all of 2013. Love the distressing on the film strip.
Happy New Year my friend, hope it is wonderful!

Silvia(Barnie) said...

Wow, that's a wonderful take on Tim's tag.
I'm waiting for a bit sunshine to make a photo of my tags (I've created two versions this month)

Nan G said...

Fab take on TH's tag! Love your pics taken in the tree! Will you take the tree with you when you move? LOL :D hope 2013 is a fab year for you!

Eniko said...

Wonderful job on the tag! Your photography is exceptional! Great looking blog!

Unknown said...

I think your tag looks amazing!! I love how it turned out!

Happy Crafting
Tracie
http://homeofthepurskey.blogspot.com

www.hokiecoyote.com said...

What a wonderfully beautiful tag. I really appreciate all the detailed photos you provided along with a description of your process and the challenges you had with some of the products. Thanks for sharing.

Anjas-Artefaktotum said...

WOW wonderful decorated tag, really a masterpiece!
Hugs Anja

Francesca said...

Your tag looks great, fun isn't it. Plus who said we had to use everything tim has, mine didn't. love Francesca

Erin Smetak said...

Wow! This is amazing! Makes me want to make a tag just like this! Love all the gears and all the little details!

Hettie said...

Fabulous tag Alison. Love all your variations and in truth I think I like yours more but don't tell Tim I said that! I love the colours used and the little touches. Well done You!
I see you found some sunshine again too!
Hugs
xx

Karen McAlpine said...

Gorgeous Version of Tim's tag! You really rocked this month's tag!!---Very inspiring!! Ooooh, I love turquoise too--especially with brown.

Nicecrane Designs said...

OMG Alison,,,,,incrdible and amazing Steampunk creation,,,, love each detail here and all over your qoute,,,,,,

Dorthe said...

This is fantastic Alison,
you made a gorgeous tag , -I love the stamped film strip, and the metallic painted parts- love how you altered every part to look old, and the turquise background.
xo,Dorthe

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

Amazing!!! Gorgeous take...so perfectly vintage, grungey, and steampunky! LOVE!

Janny Jager said...

WOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW Alison this is really really beautiful.
So many details .
Love them al.
Greetings Janny

Anonymous said...

Alison
It is the way you combine the TH products to make it all your very own, that is what stands-out.
Really this is fabulous.
Wishes
Lynne

Anna said...

Love it!! I think you did a terrific job of improvising!!!

Princess Judy Palmer said...

I love Tim's work! I confess that I have never tried or even considered attempting to make one! Or anything really Tim-like. I'm afraid I would run myself crazy trying to make stuff like his--I love the look, but ultimately my brain doesn't think that way. That said, I love what you've done with yours. Your substitutions are great. That was brilliant putting the stamped film strip onto acetate. Bummer about how the sprockets cut out (or almost didn't). I had something akin to grungeboard that I wanted to cut a heart out of with a Spellbinders die. It wouldn't make it all the way through no matter what I did. I ended up using an exacto knife. At least mine was heart shaped. I don't think I would have had the patience to cut out a sprocket with a knife!! Anyway, again EXCELLENT tag!

Claudia N. said...

Love your take on the january tag, Alison!

(Had to improvise on the ribbon too *giggle).

Hugs,
Claudia xx

Bonnie Irvine said...

A beautiful start to an inspiring year of tags. I can't wait to see the next one. The changes you made to the original design suit your style perfectly and place that amazing "butterfly" touch to this tag. Well done!

toni said...

Great tag for this months challenge beautifully done x

Sue said...

A fabulous Timmy tag that still has lots of 'you' in it. I've got this spellbinder set too and it never comes out of the packet 'cos it just wont cut :-( xx

Kezzy said...

Gorgeous tag, I think the tissue tape looks fab and the gears really fit well. I have to admit I have given up trying to cut grunge card with spellbinders dies. If you are still having problems try using baking parchment. Got to say again I'm so loving the tag :-) Happy Crafting Kerry xxx

Marjie Kemper said...

Oh my, this is stunning, Alison! I love everything about it. Your filmstrip on acetate is splendid... I was wondering how you got that rough effect, so thanks for pointing it out. Nice how you snuck in some peacock feathers, too!

Kate Yetter said...

WOW! Love all those cogs. Another fabulous steampunk creation. Makes me want to sit down and play along.

Margaret said...

I love how your substitutions were so creatively similar to the original! The tissue/ribbon is brilliant and the whole tag is beautiful! Love the sentiment...

Bärbel said...

Das Tag ist großartig, Alison, es gibt so viele Details zu entdecken, von den Zahnrädern bin ich fasziniert!

Geraldine said...

great tag, I only completed a couple of tags last year, so one of my aims for this year is to make all 12.

craftyb said...

Fabulous tag - love all the detail, must remember your wee tip about the tissue tape onto ribbon! bx