I'm travelling into a new way of working, a new country, a new language, and a new hobby which I'm passionate about. Come with me for some of the journey...

Tuesday 29 January 2013

Time Travel


Hello - a very quick (second) post today (the new Fun With ATCs challenge is here), as I suddenly remembered that I really, really wanted to join in with the Time Travel challenge at the House of Bears this month.


Every month they offer some literary inspiration, and being as how I'm supposed to be about the Words and the Pictures and all...  


I didn't make it last month, but this month's book inspiration is The Time Traveller's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger (I expect she spells traveller with only one L but what the heck!), and as soon as I saw it - apart from having loved the book (I read it through in one night) - I knew I had the perfect quote.


But what with one thing and another, time slips away, and I realised this morning that I'd almost missed the deadline - so sorting of financial papers going back to 1998 went out of the window, and instead I went and created this tag...  So if I'm not ready to move out of the house when the time comes I'm blaming the bears!!







The quote is by Jeremy Irons who, as an actor, gets to engage in time travel - as well as leaping into other people's lives - more often than most.

But I think the quote is wonderful, and I kept the tag quite simple to allow the words to be at the centre of things.











The tag is embossed with the Tim Holtz Clocks folder, and then I blended Chipped Sapphire, Pumice Stone and Frayed Burlap DIs onto it.













I spritzed heavily with some Perfect Pearls Mist in Heirloom Gold and Blue Patina, before adding some Treasure Gold in White Fire to the raised areas.














I also blended some Chipped Sapphire onto a separate piece of cardstock and wrote out the quote, cut it out and edged the pieces with Frayed Burlap.










The words are attached to the tag using the tiny Idea-ology paperclips, and I've then added an clock and a mixture of cogs and gears, some from Idea-ology and some by 7 Gypsies.











A little piece of co-ordinating ribbon and we're all done... So there you go, bears!  Now you can come and help me clear out my filing cabinets...

If you feel suddenly inspired, you've got a couple more days to join in with the challenge.  If only we all had time machines and could go back for extra crafting time!!  Thanks for stopping by today, and I'll see you again soon either here, or elsewhere in Craftyblogland.

I'm entering this in the Time Travel challenge at The House of Bears
and in the Clocks challenge at Out of a Hat Creations




Gosh that takes me back... or is it forward? That's the trouble with time travel, you never can tell.
From Dr Who

My bed is a time machine... I lie down for five minutes and the next thing I know, it's five hours later.
Anonymous


Oh - almost forgot! - here's a sneak peek of a project you can see over at the Artistic Outpost blog today, and watch this space for another AO piece very soon...  It's all go round here at the moment!!

It's a project that's very apt for the time pressures at present!  See you soon...


49 comments:

House of Bears said...

Wow, we love this, the sentiment is just perfect for our challenge and your tag really does epitomise the idea of time travel. We love the way that the tag has an aged look while managing to suggest going forwards too. We're so glad you had time to join in with the bears this month, and don't mind being blamed for your unfinished paperwork at all, aslong as the punishment isn't hunny rations!

catherine said...

Love this so much Alison. Love the words
x catherine

Astrid Maclean said...

Fab tag with all my favourite things on it, i.e. colours, texture Treasure Gold etc. etc. Fab quote too and let's face it, arty/crafty things are really way more important than financial papers, so that choice was a no brainer ☺

Redanne said...

Love your tag Alison, the background embossing and colours are fabulous and the quote is perfect for the theme - love your writing too. The Treasure Gold really gives the embossing a lift, something else for my wish list. Hugs, Anne x

froebelsternchen said...

a really gorgeous piece of art Alison! Fab!

Jenny Marples said...

Such an industrial feel to this Alison. Love all the timely references. Hope all goes well with the financial sort out too! Rather you than me, hugs Jenny x

Amanda said...

Absolutely fantastic tag! And I love the saying.
Love
Amanda x

Carol Q said...

like Buttons, I really like your industrial interpretation of this Alison. The sentiment is lovely too. I don't read much these days but I did enjoy the Time Traveller's Wife

Chrissy said...

Wonderful tag Alison, I love the quote and so true..the metal embellishments are fabulous, love the clock and the gorgeous colours...

Luv CHRISSYxx

Bärbel said...

Der Hintergrund schaut schon aus, als sei er aus Metall, dazu die wunderbaren Metall-Verzierungen, es ist ein großartiges Tag, Alison!
Liebe Grüße.

Mrs.B said...

Hi Alison, Fabulous tag, love the sheen from the PPs and such a wonderful quote.
Avril xx

Annie said...

Now this is the style I love. Great time travel feel and I love the quote. The colours are super.

TFS and good luck Alison


Crafty hugs

Annie x

maj. said...

How gorgeous!!! Great details and colours !!!

Sue said...

I love this Alison, you really can't go wrong with Tim's inks can you, and you quotation is perfect. I enjoyed the Time Travellers Wife too though it took me a little longer to read it than you :-) xx

May said...

Fabulous tag Alison, Great design & colours... Love that quote...how true!! Hugs May x x x

Netty said...

Terrific time travel tag and thats a great quote Alison. Also loving your shabby chic flourish tag below. Annette x

Alie Hoogenboezem-de Vries said...

Love it love it love it...Alison what a great tag and text! Great job, so creative in these simple looking colour...it touches in colours!

greetings, Alie :-)

Dorthe said...

Beautiful sentiments, and beautiful tag. Wow, the way you uses those colours and the glimmer/shimmer products are amazing here.
Yes ,gorgeous again!
XO,Dorthe

ria gall said...

Oh WOW this is truly beautiful and stunning. I love the colours and the sentiments are fab
Ria

Brenda Brown said...

Wonderful tag and quote Alison. The textures and embellishments really give the feel of 'time'. So glad you did a spot of procrastinating to get this done.
hugs {brenda} x0x

sam21ski said...

WOW Alison, fantastic tag, love all the elements you've included and what a great quote.

Sam xx

pearshapedcrafting said...

Love your blend of colours and the fantastic metallic sheen! A beautiful tag - and a brilliant quote! Chrisx

Sarah said...

You do have a way with blending and shading and picking just the right quote, too. I like it!

Keren Tamir said...

Stunning tag Alison!!! Love all the metal elements.

Inkypinkycraft said...

A fab make, love this embossing folder ..just used it for Tims tags this month , the colours you have hosed are gorgeous especially with the swipe of treasure gold! Hugs trace x

Anke said...

WOW fantastic tag Alison.

chrissie said...

Fantastic Alison and such a great quote to chose. I loved that book and the film as well.

Best wishes Chrissie xx

Ralph said...

This is just marvellous. I wonder if you would be offended if I used this as an inspiration for an abstract painting.

Anonymous said...

Alison
I adore your tag as much as I adored that book. In fact I should take a trip to the loft and retrieve that book to re-read it.
A fabulous tag!
Wishes
Lynne

Marjie Kemper said...

Not only is the taking absolutely gorgeous, but that's one of the sweetest sentiments I've ever seen. Love it!

Janny Jager said...

Amazing tag Alison .
Love it an dthe text is great.
love every detail.
Greetings Janny

craftytrog said...

This is totally gorgeous...I love that quote! xx

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

Love this...great clock additions as well! Fab piece!

cathylynn said...

Your tag is totally awesome! Wowzers!!! I love it all. I'm a new follower too! Can't wait to look at your other projects! You do fabulous work!
Hugs,
Cathy-Lynn

Silvia(Barnie) said...

An amazing tag, love the saying, it's really true.

mark gould said...

stunning, that sentiment is brilliant and the subtle colour changes look great.

Sandy said...

I love it-- you have such a way with words and pictures -- I am pea green with envy!!
Sandy

chrissie said...

So pleased you shared it with us at the Hatters this week Alison

Love Chrissie xxx

Sandra's Spot said...

Hi Alison, Glad you made it this week with this stunning tag, love everything about and the quote is so true. Thanks for sharing with the Hatters. Hugs Sandra X

Gill Edwards said...

amazing tag, amazing quote and so beautifully put together.
Im looking forward to taking part in the next challenge

hugs
Gill x

Lauren O'Donovan said...

Wow what a gorgeous tag and a fab representation of the book! I have a last minute entry if you would like to take a look x

MorningAJ said...

I love how you've built it up from the embossed base.

Chris said...

Superb Alison and I love all tHe layers and textures you've created, the colours are superb too. Chris x

Nicecrane Designs said...

Absolutely amazing Alison,,, I really love your steampunk style my friend,,,,I´ll send my two new Steampunk sheets.

Kjersti said...

Love your tag Alison! wonderful colours, great steampunk style and the text is so beautiful!
Have a nice weekend!
Hugs Kjersti:)

Margaret said...

LOVE this! I find myself wishing I could reach through the monitor and touch the gears on this wonderful tag! The quote goes so well with the clock pieces too!

Stilwaters said...

Very nice. While it was inspired by The Time Traveler's Wife I find it could also have been inspired by Diana Gabaldon's Outlander. If you haven't read them give them a try.

Unknown said...

Hi,

I wanted to know is there a way I can have this made? Or if you know anyone I can contact that will be able to make it? thank you!

Words and Pictures said...

Assuming I can find it, you could buy this one, but you need to give me a way to contact you. Let me know if you want me to look for it.
Alison