I'm travelling into a new way of working, a new country, a new language, and a new hobby which I'm passionate about. Come with me for some of the journey...

Sunday 6 January 2013

Butterfly's butterflies


I'm sharing a quick tag today, one of the first things I made with my current colour obsession... I just hadn't had a chance to share it yet.


I've been playing with the new Distress Stains and Cosmic Shimmer sprays I got for Christmas and here's where they got me to.


It was so nice just to play with no particular end in mind...   I had no idea where I was going when I started, and though it's not a very complicated piece it really makes me happy: I smile when I look at it!!


So the new stain colours are Mowed Lawn, Salty Ocean and Iced Spruce.


I splodged some of each onto my craft mat, along with a spritz of Patina Cosmic Shimmer spray, and played around with Tim's wrinkle free distress technique until I liked what I had.










I had to wait for some sunshine to photograph this tag, as it was impossible to get any sense either of the gorgeous shimmer in the tag, or of the embossing I'd done without sunlight.


So please excuse the shadows in places... the penalty for using Mother Nature as your display case!


Also the colour varies a lot according to the light, so it changes shade from photo to photo, but it happens in real life too, and that's one of the reasons it pleases me.













I took one of my ebay-bought Catalina wreaths by Memory Box, and dipped them in the Distress Stains, but keeping more colour separation for a brighter hit of colour.











Once the stains were in place, I spritzed it with the shimmer again to blend the colours... the stains are reactive with water, so they move with the liquid spray.









You can see the glimmering lustre in this picture...

I cut up the wreath so that I could position it around the tag rather than in one solid circle.












I got out some of my favourite Tim Holtz stamps, from the Papillon set, and blended a mixture of Archival inks onto the stamp: Aquamarine, Library Green, Cobalt and Olive.











I used the Olive again with the little TH grasses stamp, randomly scattered around the edges of the tag.










The Aquamarine came into play again with my absolutely favourite script stamp from the TH Apothecary set...










... rolled on and off the tag for additional layered texture.














The sentiment is stamped in a mixture of Archival inks, but focussing on the Cobalt to give it definition.  I clear embossed it to give it a sheen and some dimensionality.














The same stains as on the tag background were used on the crinkle ribbon, but keeping it nice and light and delicate, and the Paper Distresser did its work around the very edges.

I dyed plenty of ribbon, so that there would be enough for a double bow, plus some extra to hang the tag up by.





As I said, I had an absolutely lovely time making this.  I do hope you've enjoyed having a look, and I'm so grateful for your visits and support - it's always such a joy to read your comments... each and every one is so much appreciated.








I'm entering this in the following:
The Artistic Stamper would like to see our Favourite Stamp this month - I'd have to say it varies with time, but the Papillon set has always been at or near the top, and it was love at first inking with this TH script stamp
Simon Says Stamp are playing New Something - my new Distress Stain colours
The ABC Challenge is playing E for Embossing
At Simon Says Stamp and Show there are No Rules
Anything But A Card are looking for Things With Wings
Hels Sheridan is also looking for Things That Fly for her Sunday Stampers over at Ink on my Fingers (although I suppose it's possible that you could have something with wings that didn't fly... but it's limited)

Some colors exist in dreams that are not present in the waking spectrum.
Terri Guillemets

A dream is a microscope through which we look at the hidden occurrences in our soul.
Erich Fromm

62 comments:

brenda said...

A gorgeous fusions of colours Alison and I see my favourite TH papillion stamp set there.

B x

sam21ski said...

So pleased to hear that you've had time for a play and a bit of experimenting.

Loving your results, the tag is wonderful and great colour combo.

Hope you get another chance to play.

Sam xxxx

Inkypinkycraft said...

Alison this is another stunner, the colours and layered elements work so well against the beautiful colours .. and this stamp set is my fav too..well that and the steampunk one..but your butterflies are beautiful! trace x

Brenda Brown said...

Reminds me of a warm summery day, so fresh and shimmery. I love the techniques you have used Alison and your playtime has created another stunning outcome. This really is a beautiful tag.
hugs {brenda} x0x

Kjersti said...

Happy new year Alison! You have got started pretty well... lots of gorgeous projects already, and it's just the 6.january:) Love your new colour obsession, makes me feel the spring - even if it is a looong time with cold winter here! Have a nice Sunday evening!
Hugs Kjersti:)

Sophie said...

Oh, Alison, ich gerate bei deinen herrlichen Kunstwerken jedes Mal in einen Farbrausch.
Auch diesmal bin ich wieder ganz verrückt danach...
Wunderschön gemacht, die Farben sind genial.
Chapeau vor soviel Kreativität.

Herzlichst Sophie xx

Mrs.B said...

Wonderful tag Alison, isn't it great when you end up with something as beautiful as this from just messing about.
Avril xx

Princess Judy Palmer said...

I knew that die looked familiar. I was sure it was something you had cut apart but couldn't identify it. I think I'll try your method of spraying ink onto the craft mat and putting the paper onto it. I think that might make for some interesting splotches. I enjoy the shimmer and shine of this tag and the way it changes color in the light. Like you said, that is just like real life.

Jenny Marples said...

A beautiful tag Alison. What a good buy that wreath die is. It looks superb with those colours. Great to see you getting a chance just to play. Hugs, Jenny x

Redanne said...

Hi Alison, I am really loving your 'colour' phase and the colours on this tag are gorgeous. You can't get much better than those TH butterflies either, they look amazing and the MB die is a real beauty too. A wonderful tag. Hugs, Anne x

Astrid Maclean said...

A truly gorgeous tag Alison! Love the subtle colours you have achieved and the tone in tone stamping! I so know what you mean about just playing too, those times are the best times!

Paper Profusion said...

This exudes summer Alison! Love the colours, shimmers and freshness - so glad you are enjoying these shades as you are creating a visual fest for the rest of us. Nicola x

Annie said...

Gorgeous tag Alison. I love the colour palette and its so much better when you can play around. Great idea to split the wreath. Fab sentiment too

Hugs
Annie x

froebelsternchen said...

A*D*O*R*A*B*L*E!!!

Dorthe said...

Thankyou for a beautiful visit Alison,- your tag is stunning.. I love how the butterfly stamps becomes allive on your background colours, and the embossed shiny qoute.
XO,Dorthe

Debi said...

I can tell you had fun creating this- as it's Joy filled- great tag Alison, Debi x

Linda M. Cain said...

what a truly beautiful and amazing blog! I love your work!

~Linda

Alie Hoogenboezem-de Vries said...

Nature can be jealous of your gorgeous tag Alison...great use of colours. The stamps are so nice...lovely in total!

have a nice evening, Alie :-)

Krisha said...

What a wonderful piece of art you created! Great pictures and discriptions too.

Deborah said...

Such a lovely tag, no wonder it makes you smile. I've had a greeny blue phase for the last few days and am now moving in the opposite direction - to oranges, yellows and reds.

catherine said...

Another fantastic creation Alison and so beautifully done
x catheirne

Janny Jager said...

A gorgeous tag Alison and very very beautiful the colors you used.
Love it.
Greetings Janny

pearshapedcrafting said...

Perfect choice of colour! Those Memory Box dies are an excellent addition. You are starting the New Year well and I hope it's going to be a good one for you! Chrisx

Evil Edna said...

that is really rather beautiful, the colours really come together.EE

Anjas-Artefaktotum said...

WOW what a colorful tag, love design, decoration and that it looks like spring! The dark rainy weahter here is horrible, I wish spring comes soon.

TAM said...

WOW this is a really stunning tag - the colours you've used are so fresh

Sarah said...

Your work in color is just as beautiful as your signature neutral palette.

Terry said...

Alison, this is so beautiful! Love that background and those butterflies! Happy Sunday!

Hettie said...

This is beautiful Alison. Love the colours an the MB diecuts are gorgeous.
Well done you.
xx

Anonymous said...

This is just gorgeous, I love the colours and textures, very artistic
Hugs julie P

Bonnie Irvine said...

This tag makes me smile, too. the depth of colour is delightful as is the texture you have achieved. Love how you have used the wreath in pieces rather than as a whole. The range of each colour, how they blend, and stand alone create such a relaxing and peaceful feel to this tag...dreamy like the quote.

Tracey said...

Allison this tag is so beautiful! Thanks so much for joining us at Simon Says Stamp and Show :)

Linda Coughlin, the funkie junkie said...

This took my breath away - the colors are dazzling! Love the way you have used the stamps to create the background and the subtle way you incorporated the die cuts. The seam binding came out beautiful! An all around delight!

Hugs,
Linda

chrissie said...

Love the shimmer on this tag Alison and what wonderful scrunchy ribbon you used.

The colours and images you have chosen are stunning as always

Love Chrissie xx

Anna-Karin said...

I love the gorgeous colours on this tag and all the shine. Beautiful flowers! Thank you for sharing with us at Simon Says Stamp and Show!

Hels Sheridan said...

Stunning tag... love those colours, they make the whole effect so pretty and light. Thanks for joining in withe Sunday Stamper x

Asia King (aka Joanna K) said...

Gorgeous tag Alison, I love your choice of colours and the shimmer is beautiful! xx

craftytrog said...

Beautiful tag!!! Lucky you, getting some sunshine! It's so hard to take decent photos this time of year, but yours look great! x

PetraB said...

Lovely tag with the wonderful fresh colours

Candy C said...

Alison...this is soooo pretty! Looking at this makes me want to go outside and lay down in a meadow and just feel the sun on my face and listen to the birds chirping! Oh wait....it's WINTER here! Not a good time to be doing that now! But your tag is lovely. I love the soft, muted colors and the beautiful stamping you've done on your tag. Thanks for sharing your always awesome art with us at Simon Says Stamp and Show. <3 Candy

Anonymous said...

That shimmer is incredibly pretty.
You have captured spring days on this one tag.
Wishes
Lynne

Barb Cady said...

This is beautiful, lovely colours too. I was in a butterfly mood too, but mine is very different, isn't it fun to see what others come for the same challenge? x

Sue said...

What a beautiful tag, full of the joys of Summer. I love the glimmer, and the Papillon stamp is one of my favourites too x

Kezzy said...

Wow (I really gotta stop starting with wow but your creations are amazing and such an inspiration). I so love this tag, I really love cosmic shimmer sprays and have around 6, not many but they really do the job. I love your you have built up all the layers it really looks amazing. I have spent a whole evening playing with Fresco paints but not actually came out with anything :-( guess we all get those days. Happy Crafting :-) Kerry xxx

Christy said...

This is BEAUTIFUL!!! I love the color :)

Artyjen said...

Thanks for joining us at The Artistic Stamper this month with your lovely tag such lovely colour too ;)
xoxo Sioux

Marjie Kemper said...

Such a gorgeous pallette! Love all your embossing and yummy textures, too.

Silvia(Barnie) said...

A fabulous tag in great colors. Makes me longing for spring.

Kate Yetter said...

Ooooh so pretty! Again my favorite colors and such a beautiful reminder that spring will come again. Love the way you incorporated the flowers and vines.

Sandy said...

So very beautiful - your are so very talented. I am green with envy!!
Sandy

Nan G said...

Loving your new color preferences! A beauteous tag!

craftimamma said...

What a stunning tag Alison. The colours are beautiful and make me feel that spring/summer isn't too far away. I'm another lover of the Papillon stamp set too.

Hugs
Lesley Xx

Melissa Bove said...

Stunning tag!! Such beautiful work!

Thank you very much for joining us this week at the Simon Says Stamp Challenge Blog!

Hugs...
Melissa

Unknown said...

Love the new cosmic sprays and the effect they have on this tag Alison. It's beautiful and it would put a smile on my face too. :) Have a wonderful day!

mark gould said...

Im loving this colour cick your on at the mo, beautiful combinations and textures and the TH butterfly stamp is always a winner. fantastic make as always. Mark x

Bärbel said...

Das Schmetterlings-Tag ist so herrlich, die Farben, die wunderbaren Stempel und die gestanzten Blumen, das ist so großartig, Alison, ich komme in's Schwärmen!
Liebe Grüße.

Margaret said...

Gorgeous tag! The colors on this are stunning-subtle and vibrant at the same time! The different photo angles give us a better perspective and allow us to see the beautiful shimmer and the shifting colors. Thanks so much for joining us again at Anything But a Card!

Jenn said...

Beautiful tag! I love the color technique that you used, its a great effect! Thanks for joining us at ABC Challenges!

Andie's Space said...

Hi Alison,
Big WOW! This looks fabulous. I love the shimmery ink effects & the gorgeous die cuts. Thanks for joining us at the ABC Challenge.
Hugs,
Andie xx

Laura said...

This is just amazing!
My favourite colours and it his butterflies too... perfect!
:)

mytawnyinspirations said...

Alison, this is a gorgeous tag. Love the colour combos and all of the embellishments... stunning! Cheers, Di

Sylvia said...

A beautiful tag, love thecolours and the butterfly stamp is one of my favourites.