I'm travelling into a new way of working, a new country, a new language, and a new hobby which I'm passionate about. Come with me for some of the journey...

Friday 12 June 2020

Encore - Salty Watercolour Words

Hello all!  I'm so glad you enjoyed my altered Rustic Plant Pots.  We had very heavy rain (and some hail) a couple of days after I'd put them out in the garden, and you'll be happy to hear that so far they're doing just fine.  I even wiped away the earth which had splattered them pretty much all over, and the paint stayed put perfectly happily.  Time will tell, but so far it's all good!

I'm busy with some stuff behind the scenes at the moment, so I thought I'd fill in with a quick Encore post (see the very end for a definition of that).  And the project I've chosen might give you a clue as to what it is I'm busy with.  Watch this space early next week!  And in fact, maybe watch out for me on camera too... I'll keep you posted!

And if you want something brand new today, rather than just an Encore, there's a (rare) new post over at Cestina's Dollshouses to enjoy.

These wordy watercolour bookmarks were created for the PaperArtsy blog back in March 2018, and here's what I wrote back then...
________________________________


Hi everyone, it's Alison from Words and Pictures with you today, and I'd like to share with you some salty, watery bookmarks.


I fell in love with watercolours a year or two ago, and have been exploring their possibilities since then. I thought I'd combine them with my quote stamps to make some bookmarks. The salt was an afterthought, but one I'm so happy I added!


I love how the pigment of a good watercolour moves in water, and how some colours granulate (the pigment powder floats in the water to create a mottled look) and some are more stable. I was using Daniel Smith watercolours to create my masterboard, and they have lots of fabulous granulation in some of the colours.


I think it was that granulation which suddenly made me think of adding salt - something I've done in the past with Distress Inks, but hadn't done with my watercolours before. I think the effects are spectacular, both while the paint is still wet...


... and once you've brushed the salt away once it has all dried.


I cut a section of the masterboard into strips of equal length and width and then sought out some words to fit onto them.


I used two quotes each from EAB03 Music & Silence, EAB07 Dreaming & Doing and EAB08 Strength & Courage.




On the paler bookmarks, I stamped in Cobalt and clear-embossed the words with Ranger Clear embossing powder.


And where the paint background was darker, I stamped in Versamark and embossed in Detail Fine White powder by Wow.


Some distressing of the edges, and some fine white twine through the punched holes, and now I can keep my place in the several books I usually have on the go at one time...


... and receive a little more food for thought from reading the bookmark too!


I hope you'll have a go at salting your watercolours or water-soluble inks. It really is fascinating watching the crystals at work, soaking up pigment and water and creating the incredible organic patterning. It certainly won't be the last time I craft with added salt!


_________________________________

I gave half the bookmarks to Cestina and kept the other half myself, and mine are in every day use.  I still have several books on the go at once, as well as bobbing back and forth to my Kindle, so bookmarks are just as useful as ever.

I'm heading back to the craft table now... I expect most of you can make a good guess at what I'm busy with there.  For now, I'll wish you a peaceful weekend with plenty of whatever makes you happy, and I'll see you on Monday!

When a bookmark tumbles out of an old book pristine and unwrinkled, it is like a gasp of breath from another century.
Don Borchert

Encore Posts
Projects which made their first appearances elsewhere for Design Team duties or Guest Designer opportunities, but which only had a sneak peek here, are being gathered together in the pages of my virtual scrapbook while I'm busy.
As always, the Encore Posts are formatted differently from the regular ones, so that you can easily spot them.  Please don't feel that you have to comment all over again!

23 comments:

Helen said...

loving the bookmarks; I had forgotten about them. Looking forward to Monday then!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

This was a first look for me, and I really enjoyed seeing the bookmarks as they were being made. I've used salt on my water soluble crayons before and on Twinkling H2Os, but mine didn't turn out as lovely as yours. These are beautiful and I like how you used two different techniques to get the words on the bookmarks. Enjoy your time in the studio, dear.

craftytrog said...

I love this technique Alison! Your bookmarks look beautiful 😍 xx

Cocofolies said...

A great Encore post Alison, thank you.
I love bookmarks at the moment, so it's a perfect time for me to admire your beautiful proposal with your gorgeous word quotes that I love.
The backgrounds use a fun technique too. It's been a long time I didn't use salt, but indeed, that was a very good idea ;-)
Enjoy the weekend, hope things will go to the normal in the job you love too, after summer, fingers crossed :)
Corinne xx

Dorthe said...

Hello Alison ,

I also have played with salt and paint, and it really gives wonderful results, like yours, here. They are beautiful, with the watery feel and as if it just rained onto them- and the quotes are just giving that extra special touch to them.
Thank you for the invite on fb- I will be there looking , dear friend. Hugs, Dorthe

Cestina said...

Hmm, I too had forgotten about them. I had better go and find them though sadly I read more and more on the Kindle which doesn't work so well with bookmarks, even ones as lovely as these! xxx

Let's Art Journal said...

Those rustic posts are so beautiful and I'm glad they are holding up against the rainy weather that we have been having 😁. The tags are gorgeous with their inky background and amazing quotes - perfect! Wishing you a happy Friday and Weekend! Take care! Hugs, Jo x

Lagene said...

Love the salted backgrounds!

Aimeslee Winans said...

Hi Alison, hope you are enjoying your production time behind the scenes. These are gorgeous bookmark colors perfect for relazing with a book. I have actually been thinking about making some to have to include in a card when I want. I pulled my dies I have and then ordered a stamp set I saw I thought was so sweet, but what a simple yet perfect way to create backgrounds. I may try something I did a while back when the Color Bursts and Brushos came out, which is to sprinkle the powders and the salt on a dry piece of watercolor paper then spray well and cover with cling wrap, leave to dry. It can be done again if any spots need it. Same principle. Thanks for jogging my memory. I think I'm finally caught up and back now reading blogs. Will be excited for your news. XOXOX

My name is Erika. said...

You have me intrigued what the we might be seeing. New quotes, a new project idea????? Hmmmm. Can't wait to see what's coming. Happy weekend. Hugs-Erika

Christine Alexander said...

Gorgeous Alison,the salt creates such an organic movement of the pigments :)

Redanne said...

A wonderful encore Alison. The granulation on the bookmarks is beautiful and has a wonderful 'under the sea' feel. The quotes are perfect too.

I look forward to 'seeing' you. Keep safe and well. Anne xx

Neet said...

So good to hear your pots stood up to the weather outside - I would have been bringing them in they are so gorgeous. I might have left just one out to test it but the others? They would have had to be indoors.
Love the effect of the salt on the watercolours. What a gorgeous effect it had and the colour you chose is beautiful to begin with.
Ab fab without a doubt!
Hugs, Neet xx

Craftyfield said...

I can't remember when I salted my watercolours last... Never think of this technique for cards really, I'll try and remember next time, easy to do and such a lovely effect!
Would I be right in thinking some new words are in the making?!! Enjoy your Sunday, Alison!

Margaret Mifsud said...

Love the technique used on these tags Alison. It looks amazing! Have never done this myself but you might just have inspired me to give it a try. Absolutely gorgeous bookmarks!! Stay safe. x

Sue said...

These are fabulous Alison, what a great technique! I'm so glad your plant pots are standing up to our recent horrible weather. I'm looking forward to seeing what you are up to at the moment. Take care and have a great week, Sue xx

suzyb said...

Love these Alison. I have not tried salt effect yet but you have now made me really want to give it a try :) Hope you have a great week.

nwilliams6 said...

Cool backgrounds and words, Alison. I can see why you are excited about them!!!! Love the pretty blues. Hugz

aussie aNNie said...

Most stunning projects and backgrounds, love the gorgeousness shown here, just beautifully designed too.xx

Mrs.B said...

Lovely to see these again, I've been trying this with Distress crayons, but they look very dull nowhere near the results you achieved.
Avril xx

Diana Taylor said...

Lovely bookmarks - so beuatuiful in their simplicity and so effective as a background for the words.
Diana xx

pearshapedcrafting said...

I love this technique - time to give a another go I think! These bookmarks are beautiful little creations! Hugs, Chrisx

Mac Mable said...

Unique and ever so pretty bookmarks and the sayings/quotes are wonderful x.