I'm travelling into a new way of working, a new country, a new language, and a new hobby which I'm passionate about. Come with me for some of the journey...

Sunday 21 June 2020

Words and Zinskis

Hello all, and happy summer solstice to you!  (Or happy winter solstice, obviously, if you're in the southern hemisphere.)  And happy Sunday too.  I hope the day is being kind to you.

I'm just here with a quick post today to start sharing some of the samples from my latest stamp release at PaperArtsy.  Thank you so much for your amazing feedback both here and at PaperArtsy and, of course, over at the dreaded (ssshhhh, whisper it) Facebook.  If you missed the launch post, you may also have missed my first ever Facebook Live - so do take a look if you fancy it.


For now, I'm just going to offer up a couple of close-ups of the two tags I created for the launch using the Zinski characters, and some of Kay Carley's lovely meadow flowers.  One has a quote from EAB18 Gardens & Growth, and one has words from EAB19 Life & Living.






Let's start with Gardens & Growth and the little boy.  I began with some brayered tags, applying the paint with plenty of water spritzed on for a soft effect.














For both backgrounds I used Kay Carley's lovely meadow grasses from EKC17.  I stamped some in Olive Archival, and then decided I'd like some yellow grassy stems, like hay.  So I painted some Cheesecake and Haystack onto the craft mat...














... and used that to stamp into and layer the stems with thicker heads over the others for a grain/cereal look.  There's a little white spatter (of course) and the Zinski "ground" stamp to go underneath the boy's feet.













Here he is, stamped on a separate piece of card using the stamping platform so that I could stamp, paint him and then re-stamp to retrieve all the details.

He's mounted on some padded tape which is what gives him that lovely shadow, making him pop from the background.  I added slightly darker shadows beneath him with some walnut ink.













Here are some of those Olive-stamped grasses in close-up...
















... and the yellow stalks layered over the top.










And here are those words by Frances Hodgson Burnett, author of The Secret Garden.  You can read the words two ways, I realised.  There's the primary one, which I think was probably in FHB's head: if you look at the world the right way, you can see good things everywhere.


But there's another possibility, if you choose to hear it: if you have the right appearance, the world will be a garden to you.  If you don't look the right way - not so much.





Onwards to Life & Living and the girl dancing her way through life.  Her tag started out with a sponged background.  It's one of my favourite ways to blend Fresco paints onto a tag.

I flatter myself that you can get quite a "Monet-esque" effect!












Some more of Kay Carley's pretty grasses - this time all stamped in paint for a lovely soft focus look.
















Some are in the light Spring green, and some have a little of the darker Lawn mixed in.














And again, I stamped some Zinski "ground" beneath her feet and added some walnut ink shadows.














The girl herself I stamped on separate card again, using the stamping platform - same process as before... stamp, paint, re-stamp for detail.  But when it comes to cutting this sweetheart out, there are a lot of fiddly bits to deal with around the edges.













So I took the easy route and also stamped her direct to the tag, embossing her hair with Wow's Primary Bark embossing powder to give it a dark, glossy sheen.  Then you can just cut the easy way and have the details ready and waiting on the tag when you stick her down!





And finally those words, stamped in Archival and then embossed with Earthtone Pepper embossing powder by Wow.  I find it's best to stamp in Archival rather than an embossing ink.  You get a sharper image for the powder to cling to - important when you're working with fine detail stamps like these words.


I know I'll find lots of other uses for this fabulously positive quote, but somewhere in the back of my brain it will always be linked with this exuberant little girl!








So there you have it... the first of the samples done and dusted.  I'll be back with more over the coming days and weeks.








But before all that there's some new journalling coming your way, also using a quote from one of these new sets.  Watch this space...  Thanks so much for stopping by today.  Stay safe, stay well and I'll see you all again soon.

If you've never experienced the joy of accomplishing more than you can imagine, plant a garden.
Robert Brault

23 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

Beautiful tags, love the backgrounds and quotes. Have a wonderful day, hugs, Valerie

Craftyfield said...

Lovely backgrounds, yes I can see Monet-ism at work!!! Not so keen on the Zinkis if I'm honest, I don't "do" characters usually. Happy Sunday Alison! x

Helen said...

Love the tags, backgrounds and images!

My name is Erika. said...

Cute tags Alison. Your quote work so well with these playful images. Hope you're having a great weekend. hugs-Erika

Hazel Agnew said...

Monet-esque background.....noted in my AliB hints and tips book! Fabulous mix of sentiments with the characters. Soooo versatile. Love them. Xx

Let's Art Journal said...

Fabulous tags! Looks like you've been busy creating some amazing samples with those new quote stamps and your used them so beautifully on these fun tags too 😀. I'm looking forward to seeing your journal pages! Happy Sunday and have a wonderful new week! Hugs, Jo x

craftytrog said...

A wonderful pair of tags Alison xx

Christine Alexander said...

the tags are so cute Alison with these little Zinski characters. Also great background for your tag

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Your tags are amazing, Alison. What I loved was the tip you gave about embossing the fiddly parts so you only need to fussy cut the easier parts. I thought that was genius. Both tags are truly note worthy and fun.

Redanne said...

Those delicately beautiful backgrounds you created are most definitely Monet-esque, the colours are gorgeous. You cast those characters perfectly too and your quotes, as always, are wonderful. Anne xx

Sue said...

These are fabulous Alison, they're not the images that you immediately think of for these words, but they work perfectly! Take care and have a very happy week, Sue xx

Chrissy said...

Great tags Alison, love the backgrounds and your sentiments are awesome, the quirky images made me smile..

Luv CHRISSYxx

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

I love these little guys they are so sweet. Happy creative week, Angela xXx

Mac Mable said...

Fun characters and the most perfect quotes for them. I love how you have stamped in the ink and also with paints and the 'Monet'tag is fabulous x. Wonderful tags and inspiration Alison x.
All good my end, just not enough hours in the day. Stay safe and well too Alison x.....Thank you so much for popping a message to me x.

Cocofolies said...

I love both tags, beautiful with these backgrounds with stems of two colours that are so realistic in summertime; But also meaningful, and with positive quotes. We need them so much!
I enjoy reading you, with your interpretation about the the first one... I think you're right! We can see two different senses.
Wonderful words stamps on these two adorable tags Alison. I'm going to ask to Kerudoc Creation (a shop in France who retails all PaperArtsy products) if they could introduce your stamps too, maybe.. Can not see any of them so far in their shop. Maybe they could at least just order for me this new one on Gardens & Growth that I find really perfect and beautiful.
Sending love and hugs xxx
PS: I'm going to unsubscribe you from my blog, so that you could try to subscribe again to get my notifications better maybe!

Cocofolies said...

Just done, both unscribing you, and ordered this plate EAB18 to Karen, from Kerudoc Creations!!! Very happy to take it and have it :)
Have a lovely day,
Sending much love again
Coco xx

Aimeslee Winans said...

Such gorgeous backgrounds on these tags. I'm going to try your tip about stamping the quotes in archival ink instead because I do try to use Versamark and had always thought archival dried too quickly for embossing powder to cling. But then, I'd thought the same about Versafine and have gotten it to emboss. Have a great week! XOX

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

Super fun images with your quotes, and love the backgrounds. Sorry I missed the live...shucks!

Lagene said...

So fun!!!!

Anna-Karin said...

Your new sets are amazing Alison. You are so good at picking out quotes. I love them all!! Beautiful tags!!

Neet said...

Where have I been, I am playing catch up again! And what is this about me missing you on a "live"? Off to have a look and listen.
Fab tags, I would never have thought of using any of your words with little figures like this but it works, makes me think I need to look at words a bit closer and expand my repertoire of using them.
Thanks for sharing how you built up the colour
Hugs, Neet xx

Patty O'Malley said...

Oh, I love these adorable tags and the wonderful sentiments!

pearshapedcrafting said...

Such joy in both of these tags Alison! It's best to look the right way these days! Chrisxx