I'm travelling into a new way of working, a new country, a new language, and a new hobby which I'm passionate about. Come with me for some of the journey...

Thursday 7 May 2020

Happy Hour

Hello all... and welcome to the results of a very happy hour of Skype crafting last weekend.  I didn't have time for a full session, so I suggested that Nikki, Brenda and I could do a "time-limited" quickie.  Last time we embraced the Tim Holtz quote Out of limitations comes creativity, and worked only with limited ingredients, declared in advance, so no chance to change your mind part way through.  This time we would just have an hour to work with but we could play in any way we chose.  I chose ATCs.


I love working with the ATC (Artist Trading Card) format - just 2.5 x 3.5 inches in size - and often work in pairs or sets when I play with them.  I thought a trio should be do-able in an hour and, in fact, apart from time taken to choose exactly the right word stickers, I was done much more quickly than that.





I started with some old playing cards.  I really liked the design on the back, especially after I'd sanded it back to remove some of the glossy finish, and got a softer weathered look as a result.

I mounted them on some waste cardboard to give them a sturdier presence.











There aren't many process photos - no time to stop and click constantly! - so you see them now after 1) a quick brayering of a watery wash of white paint; 2) torn strips of tissue and design tape applied in places; then...












... 3) texture paste applied through a Crafter's Workshop stencil of quavery Latin lettering; and 4) washes of DecoArt Media Fluid Acrylic in Payne's Grey, Raw Umber and Quinacridone Gold, spritzed with extra water to let it run down between and around the letters.

And of course the leftover paint on the craft mat got splattered over the top.












The blue design of the card background pretty much dictated the choice of the rusty browns... 














Give me blue when I'm under pressure and I'm likely to head for my favourite blue and brown combination.















With that scrumptious dribbly rusty Quin Gold paint concoction...














... it was a pretty short step to the addition of some rusty wire, wound round at various heights to create variation across the set.











A quick flip through the Idea-ology Paper Dolls brought these three characters to the fore, and thankfully I had each of them in the appropriate size to fit on the ATCs.


Then it was just a question of positioning them so that they wouldn't cover up too much of the background, but it still needed something else.  






These Scrapiniec stems have been hanging out on the craft table lately.  They almost made it on to my tag, The flowers appear on the earth, but in the end the lavender didn't need any extra support.














They almost put in an appearance on the Catching up journal page, but simplicity won out that time.   But finally, here, their patience was rewarded.














They're made in very pale wood in any case, but they've had a wash of snowflake just to make them even lighter in contrast to the rusty shadows in the background.









As I said, it took me a while to get exactly the right word stickers in place.

But these ones not only seemed to suit the respective Paper Dolls, but as a trio of phrases they also reflect the crafting friendship which was the reason these ATCs came into existence at all.











If we hadn't had the Skype session set up, it's unlikely I'd have got myself to the craft table that day.  So the "lasting friendship", sharing a creative hobby which is "nearest to my heart" (or at least one of two areas of creativity nearest to my heart), definitely makes me happy.











It was a very happy hour spent chatting as we each pursued our own crafty paths, and I hope you'll hop over and take a look at how Nikki and Brenda filled their sixty minutes of time.








These two sneak peeks ought to tempt you, I would think.  You'll find Nikki's project here at Addicted to Art, and Brenda's here at Bumblebees and Butterflies.







The Skype session also nudged me into spending at least a bit of time at the craft table on subsequent days, so the inspiration was ongoing, and you've already seen one result of that with my Daisy, daisy (daisy) painting, and there's more to come soon.

In the meantime, I wish you all well.  Stay safe, stay healthy, and I hope you have some happy creative hours of your own in the next few days.

A man who dares to waste one hour of time has not discovered the value of life.
Charles Darwin

With my spritzed and dripping painty background, I'd like to share this trio at the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge where they are playing with Spritz and Splatter this week
The More Mixed Media Challenge are on Anything Goes + Optional Pink - can't quite take up the option this time, sorry - rust is as close as I can get for now!
Creative Artiste Challenge Blog are, as always, playing Anything Mixed Media Goes

29 comments:

aussie aNNie said...

Super awesome colouring and fabulous way to use the playing cards, great goodies used...great make.x

Christine Alexander said...

Beautiful Alison. what a great use of old playing cards and I love the image peaking through in your signature blue and brown. Love all the texture and inspiration. I need to check the house for playing cards :)

Valerie-Jael said...

Fantastic ATCs, so beautifully made and thought out. Glad you girls had a happy hour together. Hugs, Valerie

Helen said...

Gorgeous results in just an hour, shows what you can do... I do indeed hope to have some crafty time ahead at the weekend, if I push myself!! Take care, stay safe!

Nancy Wethington said...

Another beautiful set of ATC's. So much talent!

Meggymay said...

Gorgeous ATC's and all done in a limited amount of time. A big ovation to you and your friends.
Stay safe.
Yvonne xx

Lagene said...

AWESOME ATCs! I wish I knew how to skype!

Redanne said...

Oh wow, what's not to love about these beautiful ATCs. The texture in the background is wonderful, I just adore the Quin Gold elements, the way the original card is just peeking through and the rusty wire is just the perfect finishing touch. Really beautiful Alison. Anne xx

Sue said...

Really lovely ATC's Alison, and well done on getting them done in an hour on your catch up. Take care and enjoy your time at your craft table, Sue x

Chrissy said...

Such tiny master pieces Alison, playing cards all decked out,fabulous ATC's..as always the colours and textures are great, I'm so inspired right now I have an idea I want to do with playing cards now but nothing quite as detailed as you have done..

Luv CHRISSYxx

Amanda said...

Love your trio of ATC’s and all unde4 an hour, wow! Speed crafting at its best
Love
Amanda x

Margaret Mifsud said...

Wow! These are absolutely gorgeous Alison, and to think that you only had an hour to make them! Amazing!! The colour combo is my fave and I love the textured background! Add to that the perfect embellies and the fabulous quotes and you have three little tiny pieces of art! Stunning!!
hugs xx

My name is Erika. said...

Nice. I like the back of the playing cards too, especially sanded down. Skype art sounds fun, and if your ATC's are a result of the creativity that this event spurred, then you need to do it more. Happy almost weekend. Hugs-Erika

Let's Art Journal said...

Beautiful ATCs! I love the grungy background and how you used the pretty playing cards as the background - perfect 😁. I hope that you are enjoying the sunshine! Happy and creative wishes! Take care! Hugs, Jo x

Nikki Acton said...

I had missed on the call how the playing cards still showed through - love this subtle effect. Also adore the textures you have achieved in such a short time! Such a wonderful quote too - I agree - such a pleasure to spend time with friends doing things we enjoy. Thanks for keeping sane! Nikki xxx

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Great ATCs Alison, great detail. I am really missing my crafty friends at the club but actually get more done at home than I ever do at the club, too much gossip goes on! Have a lovely crafty weekend, Angela xXx

Craftyfield said...

Beautiful trio of ATC's Alison! All the ingredients are there, rust, blues and brown, splatters, words... Hope you have a creative weekend!

Lys said...

Gorgeous trio, beautiful scenes. Your favourite elements always give the best. Thanks for sharing with us at Creative Artiste Mixed Media challenge!

Dorthe said...

Alison, I always love your blue/brown beautiful creations ,- and these are oh so beautiful. I love your stenciled background, with the lovely old playing card patterns coming through the gesso , and your rusted wire combined with the sweet TH kids . They all fill me with joy . Hugs, Dorthe

Mac Mable said...

What a fun idea to Skype with friends. What fabulous ATC's and so creative to start with the back of the playing cards. Glorious browns and blues and wonderful texture and elements x. Wonderful to find the time and stop and craft and to chat x.

Cocofolies said...

I adore this new set of trios, so beautiful and meaningful! Great idea tu use these cards, the back is also gorgeous.
Like you, your choice of words means a lot for me, I recognize so much myself in your words and feelings Alison. I did the same (Skype crafting) 2 times over 3 sessions every Sunday with my two best friends who are not far from me (but that I could'nt see anymore!), they were very very happy... and so I was.
So I understand your feelings about friendship, good and great are these short creative times maintained with friends, even at distance, they lead to so beautiful results and makes close to our hearts that otherwise would not have been!
I hope you will find time for new other sessions again.
Lots of love and hugs,
Coco xxx

Cath Wilson said...

So sorry, Alison - I thought I'd already commented on this beautiful artwork but no, I haven't.
Your altered cards are gorgeous. Love the neutral vintage shades and of course you've added all those perfect little touches which lift them from the ordinary to the super special. Gorgeous. Love the way you let the original design show through, too. It adds so much interest and makes them more 'authentic' somehow. Recycling at its best.
God bless and keep you safe!
Cath x

pearshapedcrafting said...

Oh My!!! These are wonderful and in an hour only.... I love how you used the playing cards! Hugs, Chrisx

craftytrog said...

Love these Alison, yummy backgrounds! x

Brenda Brown said...

Another stunning set of masterpieces in those beautiful cool blue shades with delightful earthy tones of brown and rust, I always love these colour combinations. I find it amazing that in such a short while we can have put the world to right and create such meaningful pieces of art. As always I adore your vintage work.
hugs Brenda xxx

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I know I'm late visiting, but I'm playing catch up. So many wonderful tips and tricks, like sanding the shine off the playing card, and adding the rounds of rust. You KNOW you had me at rust. I have two sets of TH paper dolls, but I've never seen the little girl and her collie (?). Of course I like the lovely blue and brown combination you chose. But most of all, I wish I could have been a fly on the skype wall while you three were having your play time.

nwilliams6 said...

So amazing! Wow. Great to see how an old card can become something so fun. The characters are perfect and each of your details just perfect. Fun, fun, fun stuff here!

Neet said...

The idea of sanding the background to begin with and leaving the design in that lovely misty look is brilliant, it works so well. Gorgeous when the strips of tissue were added and the texture applied thorough the stencil. The colours chosen are amongst my favourites, especially the Quin Gold and Raw Umber and as you say, it worked perfectly with the misty blue in the background.
Love all the elements you added to your trio - a perfect, as always, set of ATC's from the talented Alison with a lovely choice of words making up the set.

Patty O'Malley said...

Fantastic ATCs, Alison! I love these tiny treasures. So nice to have friend to craft with via Skype.