I'm travelling into a new way of working, a new country, a new language, and a new hobby which I'm passionate about. Come with me for some of the journey...

Monday 4 May 2020

Daisy, daisy (daisy)







Hello all!  I do hope you're all doing okay.

I don't think I really registered the start of May - partly because I was caught up in the new Vintage Journey challenge, Beautiful Blooms, which went live on the first.

My lavender tag, The flowers appear on the earth, distracted me from the fact that a whole new month was starting.

That being so, there's a new theme over at Art Journal Journey, and they are also looking for Flowers this month, so I expect I won't be the only one taking advantage of the double floral challenge!

This page is a painting I actually did some time ago, but never shared.













I did a bit of extra shading, some spattering and added the word layers, so let me show you a few close-ups of what's what.

It ought to be a shorter post than some of them have been of late!













The page is done in the large Dylusions journal, so it's 11.5 x 8.25 inches.  (The journal is 12 x 9, but that's the cover... the internal pages are a little smaller.)












The paper in the journal is already a lovely heavyweight stock, good for wet media, but I knew I wanted to play with some watercolours, and for those to behave at their best, you really need proper watercolour paper.












The good news is there's something you can use to turn any surface into a happy playground for watercolour paints... watercolour ground.  You can get it in various finishes, but it won't come as any surprise to the regulars that I like the rough textured version best.

This is Qor's Cold Press Ground, and it is fabulously gritty and rough, mimicking the surface of a sturdy cold press watercolour paper.












I think you can see what I mean in a couple of these photos - that's what I've tried to capture for you, in any case.







It's not a great surface for the PITT pen I used to sketch out my daisies and leaves, but I really only wanted a very sketchy feel to the drawing, and that's what I got.













In fact, the rough surface forced me to let go of my perfectionist tendencies and just go with the flow.

And flow is what it's all about with watercolour.














Having the right surface or ground is what allows the pigment and water to perform its magic (like this bit of "sunlight" leaking out from the flower petals into the sky...).










You can see where the palette knife missed some parts of the paper how the paint sinks in to the paper, rather than flowing across it, and creates much deeper pigmentation.

Talk about embracing imperfection - this might be my favourite part of the painting!









I didn't want to mess with the finished painting much, but I was feeling the urge to add some words.  The Calico Craft Parts Word Element band seemed to fit the bill.  It did take quite a bit of courage to add anything to a painting I was fairly happy with.












It's layered over a torn strip of teabag paper (still with some cinnamon chai leaves attached in places I think!).  I love that you can still see the stems through the translucent paper.












A last little bit of scrumptious texture and soft flowing pigment (and you can see the additional white spatter too), and that should just about do it for today, I think.

I'm sharing this over at Art Journal Journey, and it should also serve as some additional inspiration for the Beautiful Blooms theme at A Vintage Journey








Lots of journeying going on... ironic, when we're still in lockdown, but there you go.  Virtual journeys will have to do for now.  I hope you are all staying safe and well.  Have a lovely week, and I'll see you soon.

If I had my life to live over, I'd pick more daisies.
Don Herold

I'd like to share this in the Flowers theme over at Art Journal Journey
I'd also like to join in the fun at Paint Party Friday for the Week 9, Year 10 gathering
The Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge is looking for Spritz and Splatter - there's plenty of my usual white spatter adding dots of light, and plenty of watery spritzing of the watercolour pigment too

29 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

Picking daisies - or dandelions - is always a great things to do. Your blooms are beautiful and look so good on the textured page. That sounds like an interesting product for painting with water colours. Have a great week, stay safe, hugs, Valerie

Karen said...

~ Beautiful Daisies ~ May flowers are here to enjoy!

pearshapedcrafting said...

Beautiful sketch and watercolour! Love that blue sky background too! Iahve never used ground so shall maybe look out for some! Have a good week! Chrisx

Lagene said...

OH my Goodness! This is GORGEOUS, I love the vintage look of this painting!

scrappymo! said...

I love the way this looks to be painted many hundred years ago. It is so beautiful!

Helen said...

I love daisies of all sorts! fabulous painting Alison.

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Hi Alison, the texture on this piece is glorious. The finish has a lovely natural feel to it and that sultry appearance that comes when it's hot and humid. Love it. Have a happy crafty week and thank you for your kind thoughts. Hugs, Angela xxx

aussie aNNie said...

Stunning absolutely beautiful painting and stamp.xx

Christine Alexander said...

Wow Alison, the effect of the daisies on the grounds is stunning. i love that rough pencilled outline and the touch of watercolour.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Oh WOW, Alison, this is amazing. Not only do you make great mixed media art, you draw and paint, too. I was SO impressed. This is wonderful. Of particular note is the watercolor ground and the areas where it was missed. Also of note, the tea bag that adds that translucence hard to find otherwise. Thank you so much for sharing this with us at Art Journal Journey, dear friend. I hope we see more this month, too.

Neet said...

You need to do some more painting to delight us with. This is lovely Alison and I do like the way the sunshine 'leaked' out onto the background in one part. The whole painting has a kind of dreamy look about it and it is a delight to read how you built it up.
Interesting to know that you can use a medium to make other papers take to watercolours - off to investigate - thanks!
Hugs, Neet xx

Elkes Lebensglück said...

this is so romantic your page and how you made the background it's fascinating!
Have a nice Day!
Greetings Elke

Redanne said...

The daisies are gorgeous and really uplifting in those yellow tones with the sunlight shining through here and there. I can just imagine the daisies moving softly in the wind...

The watercolour ground is beautifully textural. I remember you using the ground a couple of years back and I bought some as a result. I searched and found it but it is transparent rather than textural. I really must try it out now that you have reminded me again! Keep safe. Anne x

Barbara said...

Very pretty, so subtle and delicate. I love that subtle look!

Fonda said...

Gorgeous!

Dorthe said...

This is a masterpiece, I so admire how you created these flowers, with your painting skills- they are so very beautiful , looking both fragile and standing steady on our earth to give us special moments to treasure. Hugs, Dorthe

craftytrog said...

A beautiful painting, and great texture from that watercolour ground! xx

Cath Wilson said...

Gorgeous, Alison. I love your paintings and this is no exception. It's so bright and cheerful, with a natural beauty. The 'Ground' gives a wonderful finish. I particularly love the fact that nothing is perfectly straight - because it isn't in real life. Also love the way you added the light. So delicate and yet so rich at the same time.

That quote is so true. Letting go of what you know isn't easy and especially not when our inner critics get started, lol. A lovely bit of sunshine to cheer. Thank you.
Cath x

Mia said...

This is a stunning painting, Alison. I know how difficult is painting with a palette knife, but you did it and you created a great trio of daisies! Thank you so much for entering your creation in my challenge at AJJ! Kisses!

Sue said...

This is such a beauty Alison, such delicate colours and a real dreamy feel. Those grounds really add a lovely texture too. Take care and have a very happy week. Sue xx

Chrissy said...

Beautiful beautiful Daisies, my favourite flower, and gorgeous water colouring, I love that too..what a perfect page..

Luv CHRISSYxx

Meggymay said...

This is a beautiful page and painting, the daisies looked lovely and I am so happy you have linked it to Mia's theme at Art Journal Journey.
Stay safe and keep well.
Yvonne xx

My name is Erika. said...

This is a gorgeous painting Alison. I love that rough texture. And I shall have to link up to a Vintage Journey later this week. Thanks for joining us at ARt Journal Joruney. Hugs-Erika

sirkkis said...

Beautiful Daisies with awesome texture on background. I adore your handmade skills 🌸💜



Marci said...

Lovely👏

Margaret Mifsud said...

Oh my! This is so beautiful Alison! I adore the texture in the background. Had not heard of watercolour ground before but this looks amazing. The daisies are so delicate and beautiful and I love that you still added your signature white splatters. The whole piece is simply stunning!!
Sorry that it takes me so long to get around for a visit nowadays but I do love your work and I can always count on finding little treasures like this on your blog! Thank you for sharing your fabulous art with us. Take care .. hugs xx

Let's Art Journal said...

Wow, such a stunning painting! The texture that you created in the background looks so beautiful and I love how you have applied the watercolour to the page so softly - amazing 😁. I hope you've had a wonderful week! Keep well! Hugs, Jo x

Craftyfield said...

I love the sketchy look of the daisies! I have never used watercolour ground and must investigate... x

nwilliams6 said...

Very well done and such lovely texture. Inspires me.