I'm travelling into a new way of working, a new country, a new language, and a new hobby which I'm passionate about. Come with me for some of the journey...

Thursday 26 September 2019

Just a little journey...

Hello all!  Here's the first of series of closer looks at some of the samples created for my latest Eclectica³ Alison Bomber quote stamps.  We're starting with EAB12 Travel & Journeys, and this quartet of ATCs.


The soft blue/violet tones of my Stripes of Strength journal pages appear here too, but rather than inks and watercolours, they're now provided by some of the lovely new PaperArtsy Fresco Finish Chalk Paint colours.









For the background of the purple pair, I used a brayer to create this gentle ombre effect.















The shades move from the palest Periwinkle via Wisteria to Forget-me-not.














Before running the brayer through the paint on the craft mat, I spritzed it with plenty of water, so that you get a really soft look to the finish.















The postmarks from another PaperArtsy designer, Courtney Franich, are great to go with a travel theme, and they're stamped in Watering Can Archival.












The quotes themselves are also stamped in Watering Can, but then I used Wow Embossing Powder in Vanilla White to give them glossy texture.













The squidginess at the end of the word "miles" was entirely my own fault... I picked the ATC up before the embossing had cooled and managed to put my thumb straight on the end of that line.

Ah well... let's embrace imperfection, shall we?  I still think it's worth it for the dimension and light-catching properties of the embossing.














I used an old credit card to add textural stripes of Aquamarine and Captain Peacock to the edges of the ATCs.












For the second pair, those turquoise colours are the main feature of the background, along with some Caribbean Sea and the soft blue of the new Summer Sky.













This time, rather than brayering, I applied the paint by smooshing the ATC into puddles of watery paint on the craft mat.  Finally, I added splatters of the Wisteria and Periwinkle paints so that the turquoise/blue/purple colour combination would match across all the samples.













The Seth Apter minis I've chosen are reminiscent of globes and compasses, so there's an abstract reflection of the Travel & Journey's theme.















They're stamped in Watering Can Archival again, and I added partial stampings around the edges to add more detailing.















Again, the quotes are in Wow Vanilla White and, again, I have to hold my hand up to the minor imperfections in evidence.












This time the problem was that I hadn't dried the grey stamping fully, so some of my Vanilla White powder stuck to it.  In brushing those unwanted grains away, Antoine slightly lost his Exupéry!








There will be making-of details about some more of the samples on their way to you soon.  There really wasn't time in the original launch post to cover all of it in one go.  But before the next set of samples, there are some new projects to enjoy over the next couple of weeks too.

Thanks so much for stopping by today, and I'll see you again soon.

For the person for whom small things do not exist, the great is not great.
Jose Ortega y Gasset

22 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

Hi Alison. What a fantastic set of ATCs. Love the desigb and those cool, dreamy greens and blues. Well done. Have a great evening, hugs, Valerie

Annie said...

I love those journal pages Alison with the fabulous quotes/details and stunning colours xx TFS and best wishes
Annie xx

My name is Erika. said...

The blue and that gorgeous shade of green really work together so well. Gorgeous colors! The abstract images give just enough design so your quotes really stand out. I love to travel so these are super quotes too. Happy end of the week, already, Alison. Hugs-Erika

Powdered Toast Man said...

so purdy

Margaret Mifsud said...

What a fabulous set of samples for your new quotes Alison! The backgrounds are spectacular! Gorgeous, rich colour so beautifully applied and I love how the embossing highlights the words and makes them stand out even more .. and those touches of imperfection are, actually, 'perfection' LOL!! Great choice of complementary stamps as well .. stunning makes! Have a wonderful day! hugs xx

Helen said...

I agree they are such gorgeous new pastel shades... Love the results!!

Redanne said...

The pastel shades are beautiful. I love the ombre effect you achieved, it highlights your quotes wonderfully well, as do the textural stripes on the travel ATCs. The white embossing really pops too, I didn't even notice the squidgy 'miles'. Beautiful makes Alison. Anne xx

Let's Art Journal said...

Such a beautiful set of ATCs! I love the colours and the quotes that you chose, as always, are perfect 😀. I hope you've had a lovely week and wishing you a Happy Friday and Weekend! Hugs, Jo x

Marci said...

Lovely!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Once again I am in awe of your latest set of samples. I don't feel so bad that you picked the ATC up too soon. It sounds like something I would do, so it makes the ATC and your art seem even MORE human and approachable to me. I am always impressed with your work and your quotes, Alison, but even more impressed that you didn't try to rework or create a new ATC. These colors work SO well together, and using both in the four ATCs was brilliant.

Patty O'Malley said...

Awesome set of cards, Alison.

Fonda said...

Gorgeous work!

Rita said...

Hi Alison. Stunning journal pages and the glorious colours are perfect. Need to get on with filling my fages as they have been left on the side this last few months. Hope your Well. Hugs Rita xxxx

Roosterhead Designs said...

Thank you for this beautiful share Alison! All of the techniques and inking hints and tips are always welcome and appreciated by us~ Wonderful stamp sets! And I can see they are of quality and well made.
Look how beautifully they emboss! That is an indication to me of good quality~ (Can I talk like that?) -Thumbprint not included! : ) lol
Wonderful work~ Hugs, karen o

craftytrog said...

I love the colours Alison! Great samples.
Alison xx

Craftyfield said...

I do love these colours! I might need to pick up some of the new colours, I usually mix my own with the few Frescos I have but... A lovely set of ATCs, Alison! Happy weekend. x

Meggymay said...

A gorgeous set of inspirational samples, those word stamps are on my wish list.
Yvonne xx

Sue said...

I love these Alison, white embossing is always such a favourite of mine, and your new stamps are fabulous. I love the ombre you have made with the purples - what gorgeous colours. Take care, Sue xx

Dorthe said...

Your collection of such beautiful stamps are amazing here, in the white embossing , Alison, and looking so powerful on top of the simplistic backgrounds . Hugs, Dorthe

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

Man do I need to get your quote stamps...I love them! These ATC'a are simple yet organically chic!

Cocofolies said...

I also love this set of ATCs, with the quotes you have chosen, all so beautiful and meaningful. Great samples in lovely colors, and they fit perfectly to Seth's new stamps. xxx

pearshapedcrafting said...

This is my favourite of your new sets - it would be I suppose for obvious reasons! Some of these stamps will definitely be in next years travel journals (Hmm! I wonder where?) Great samples, the white embossing looks great! Hugs, Chrisx