I'm travelling into a new way of working, a new country, a new language, and a new hobby which I'm passionate about. Come with me for some of the journey...

Sunday 29 September 2019

Rusted Texture Galore





Hello all!  Hope you've all been having a great week.  I'm here to share a project I created at a recent Andy Skinner workshop at Country View Crafts.

I think Andy's work and paint techniques are brilliant, and I've been lucky enough to go to a couple of his workshops over the years, though this was the first one for a while that has fitted into my schedule.

Although I was on the Design Team at Country View Crafts for a couple of years, this was the first time I've been to their lovely workshop venue.

I had a great time, and I'm sure it won't be my last visit now that I've worked out the trains aren't completely impossible.

We had a fantastic time trying out Andy's new Lava Paste by Cosmic Shimmer... it's astonishing how many different kinds of effects you can get, simply by applying it in different ways and in different thicknesses.










We were also exploring the new paint line Andy has with Cosmic Shimmer, and you'll see from the close-ups here that they achieve superb rusty effects over the wild and wonderful Lava Paste textures.













It's hard to believe that all this started with just two blank MDF panels.  They're quite heavyweight panels, really very pleasingly sturdy, and well able to cope with all the mixed media goodness about to come their way.

It's a large panel - the big base one is about 8 x 11.5 inches, so about the same as a piece of A4 paper.














We had an extra ATC-sized piece of MDF to practise on - here's the lava paste applied quite thickly with a palette knife...















... and here's what happens when you heat it with a heat gun!  (Sorry for the blur in the foreground, I didn't notice I had smeared my camera lens in all the excitement.)










And then we played with adding some of the new paints Andy has produced with Cosmic Shimmer.  I stuck to my trusted palette of Payne's Gray/Prussian Blue/Transparent Yellow Iron Oxide/Quinacridone Gold for my rusted look.











On the large piece, we had a choice of about ten different printed images to work with.

I went with this rather wonderful vintage song sheet cover.  

As you can see, it's for a song called Amanda, which is - as it says in the subtitle - a response to an earlier song by the same lyricist and composer called L'Amant d'Amanda.  (Yes, I had to come home and look it up - that's just the way I am!)












It's had various dirty washes of paint to make it look even more vintage and distressed, and of course there's some splatter too.







But the real point of this creation was the lava paste.  Just look at it bubbling up around the edges.


And right on the edge of the smaller panel, it's still the lava paste, but here applied much more thinly, and gently patted into place.  (Do click on these smaller photos for a closer look.)







I love the gritty look this gives you, just perfect for rusted textures.  









The nuts and bolts are just greyboard, believe it or not...


... with Andy's genius paint combinations added to give you the perfect rusted metal look.







You can probably tell that there's some corrugated cardboard offering up additional texture and dimension in the corners.















But it gets an extra distressed look from some more lava paste applied in places. 















I concentrated my Quinacridone Gold/Transparent Yellow Iron Oxide colours near these bolts so that they "drip" down to give an impression of realistic rusting patterns where water might drip and carry the rusty contagion.















Part of the joy of the lava paste is the randomness of the results.

You know approximately what you'll get from how you're applying it, but you're not in control of the specifics!
















We had a bit of time to spare at the end of the workshop, so we also had a play with the new Strata Paste on a little greyboard square.

This is about the size of an ATC, but not quite.









The Strata Paste has a wonderful stony texture like shale.





Quite apart from any regular crafting uses, I think it could be really useful for dollshouse work.

It was such fun to have a playful day following Andy's instructions without having to think too much.  I hope you enjoy the results as much as I do!


Thanks so much for stopping by today and I hope you all have a lovely peaceful Sunday.

It is the lava of the imagination whose eruption prevents an earthquake.
Lord Byron

28 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

Sounds like you had fun playing with all those goodies. Love the look of the lava paste, fantastic idea. The piece you made is fabulously rusty and textured to perfection, well done. Enjoy your Sunday, hugs, Valerie

Helen said...

what yummy texture! looks like a fun project.

hazel said...

An amazing piece - fabulous textures.
xxx Hazel

Nan G said...

Gorgeous rustiness Alison! Andy is a wonder isn’t he with how he can come up with this weird stuff that looks soo cool.

Jennynomad said...

These are gorgeous Alison; thank you for sharing them with us.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

The very first thing I noticed when I saw this beauty was how the rust seemed to migrate down, as if the nuts and bolts had dripped rusty goodness from them. I was surprised when I saw you mentioned it, but I shouldn't have been, since you are always, ALWAYS about the details. I absolutely LOVE this rusty goodness you have created. This is simply out of this world. You had me at rust, but I bet you knew that already. And the great thing is, you don't have to protect yourself from real rust, either.

Amanda said...

A stunning piece with such fabulous rustyness and texture and made even better as it bares my name!
Love
Amanda x

Paper Profusion said...

Fantastic makes Alison! All the pics of your ATC show how incredible the texture and grunge effects are. The strata paste on the greyboard gives very interesting texture too. Thank-you as always for sharing. Nicola x

Chrissy said...

This effect is stunning Alison..wonderful project, loved every photo..I NEED this stuff..

Luv CHRISSYxx

Hazel Agnew said...

Wonderful textures and great results Alison. Endless possibilities too. X

Sue said...

What a fabulous piece Alison, this lava paste looks amazing, I must have a play with mine! Have a very happy week, Sue xx

Cestina said...

Very useful indeed for dolls house work! And of course you had to look the song up - is there another option?? Xx

My name is Erika. said...

That class looks like it was fantastic if the art is saying anything about it. That is very cool texture. The rust is very cool as are the hardware pieces also. I'd say you had a good class Alison. Happy new week. Hugs-Erika

Meihsia Liu said...

This is such a fantastic creation, Alison. The texture on the background and the rusted effect are so beautiful! :)

Neet said...

Another piece for me to drool over. And what a combination, Alison Bomber and Andy Skinner! I love the work of both of you so you can imagine how I feel about the combo..
Gorgeous in my favourite colours and with the addition of rust even more gorgeous.
Love the way you have used the Lava Paste, having been out of action this year with regards to workshops I have yet to try these new products but you are certainly luring me to the shopping trolley.
Thanks for the wonderful pictures and walkthrough the process. You ace it for me.
Hugs Neet xx

Patty O'Malley said...

Awesome project, Alison!

Dorthe said...

Ohhh it is fabulous, stunning creations with this I guess new products, and you have the most amazing results with the colors used, and that lovely Amanda music paper . The rust is absolutely fantastic, and the difference between heavy and thin layers of the "lava" gives such different results, both wonderful, and the thin layer almost looking like real rust texture. Wow Alison this must have been fun, -I admire your creations. xoxo Dorthe

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

Oh my word that texture! I love that you heated it...like nothing else! Gorgeous make and love the colors!

craftytrog said...

Wow! That texture looks amazing Alison. I love your finished piece.
Alison xx

Redanne said...

Oh, so much rusty goodness and wonderful texture Alison, I have been looking at the lava paste but was never quite sure what to do with it. It looks fantastic on your project. I love how you added the corrugated card too, more beautiful texture. A gorgeous project. Anne xx

froebelsternchen said...

This is stunning! A brilliant piece -UNIQUE!!

Happy October Alison!

Cocofolies said...

Oh, this lava paste gives great effects and volume indeed!!! How fun!
Gorgeous composition Alison, wonderful colors and texture. It looks like you have a beautiful workshop with andy Skinner, and lovely and happy time with maybe some teamates?... Or at least the owners of the shop in which you have produced so many great artworks for. I'm very happy for you!
Hugs, Coco xx

Diana Taylor said...

It sounds like you had such an interesting day and the pieces you've produced are fabulous. I love the lava paste, what wonderful rust you've created, but I'm equally taken with the strata paste - such an amazing effect. And as always your colour palette is just divine.
Diana xx

Mac Mable said...

You clearly enjoyed the fun work shop and thank you for the step by steps. What fabulous paste and such striking results.....Unique and glorious. Amazing project full of texture and rust...love it x

Craftyfield said...

Too far away for me… but what brilliant rust! Love the look of the Lava paste, I feel I will need the in my arsenal very soon...

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Now this really is full of gorgeous texture. I so love a workshop and it looks as though you had a great time. Happy crafting, Angela xXx

pearshapedcrafting said...

Oh My! This looks amazing and I can't wait to try that paint! Hugs, Chrisx

Mrs.B said...

A fabulous piece, the textures look amazing.
Avril xx