I'm travelling into a new way of working, a new country, a new language, and a new hobby which I'm passionate about. Come with me for some of the journey...

Thursday 23 August 2018

Encore - Calico Shrine Brocanterie

Encore Posts
Projects which made their first appearances elsewhere for Design Team duties or Guest Designer opportunities, but which only had a sneak peek here, are being gathered together in the pages of my virtual scrapbook while I'm away.
As always, the Encore Posts are formatted differently from the regular ones, so that you can easily spot them.  Please don't feel that you have to comment all over again!

I'm so glad you enjoyed my Engraved Enamelled Plaques over at PaperArtsy.  Today I'm here with another Encore post.  This project first appeared back in July 2015 over at the Calico Craft Parts blog when I was on the Design Team there.  It remains a favourite.  Here's what I wrote back then...
___________________________________

Hello everyone, it's Alison here again from Words and Pictures, and today I've got a little antique shop window to share with you.  Well, it's more of a Brocanterie really... Brocantes is such a useful French word - somewhere between antiques and flea-market finds (but nicer than thinking about fleas!).


I used one of the fantastic Shrine Kits to create my shop window.  This is the simple arch design, Style 2, in the smallest size (12x7x3cm).  If you want to go large with your project, you can choose one of the two larger sizes.  


The kits come in pieces, but assembly is pretty straightforward.


If you want to cover the pieces with design papers, that's best done before you glue the thing together.  I wanted papers for the inside of my shadow box, so I glued those down, taking care to get them on the right side of each piece.


You also want to avoid papering the "teeth of the combs" along the edges - those are going to slot into each other, so you don't want the extra thickness of the paper in the way.


Once that was done, I glued together the walls and the back, but left the front cover off for the time being.


I painted the exterior with layers of DecoArt paint and crackle mediums, starting with the Chalk paints line, adding some Media Line crackle paint over those, a coat of Ultra Matt Varnish to seal it (so that the precious crackle won't flake off), and then some Raw Umber to add shading around the edges and corners.


I also added a wash of chalky white to the interior walls, and some Raw Umber shading to darken the corners of my dusty little antique shop.


The kits also come with little circular feet.  You don't have to put them on at all if you don't want to, and you also have some leeway as to how long you make the legs.  I did a two layer version, then just gluing the little circles to the bottom of the shrine to raise it a little way.


For the inside I gathered a motley little collection.  Against the back wall you can see the gorgeous Calico Craft Parts Candelabra (strictly that's probably one candelabrum!).  This is Candelabra Style 1 out of a whole collection of Chandeliers and Candelabra - well worth checking out.


And mounted on the wall there's also one of the delicious Mini Butterfly Wood Shapes, which has had a coat of DecoArt Crackle Paint.


I also used crackle glaze and paint on the little china doll, and filled a glass vial with tiny copper beads cut from a bead chain.  There are some other metal bits and bobs if you rummage around - old keys, bulbs and pocket watches, some wooden bobbins, and a antique picture frame.  Looks like a bargain... snap it up while you can!


I altered my Word Band with DecoArt paints in Raw Umber and Red Iron Oxide as well as some granules of embossing powder for a rusty texture, and it's bound on with good old rusty wire.


I hope you've enjoyed browsing amongst the remnants in the brocanterie.  If you'd like to have a play with any of the Calico Craft Parts I've mentioned you can click on the links in the text to go straight there.  In the meantime I'll wish you a wonderful week, and I'll see you again soon.
________________________________

So there you have it... those wishes for a wonderful week apply in the present day too.  We're almost at Press Night so I'll be packing up and travelling home again in the next couple of days.  I'm very much looking forward to getting back to my craft table, and to spending some time catching up with you all again.  Happy crafting in the meantime!

A house with old furniture has no need of ghosts to be haunted.
Hope Mirrlees

12 comments:

Dortesjs said...

awww this is awsome love it..whoooo

Cocofolies said...

Hi dear Alison
This project was so adorable and beautiful, I well remember it!
Sorry for not commenting on your previous posts because of my holidays (and so many commitments coming soooo quickly now). Days and Time fly so quickly, I have never enough time to see all what I would love and support my friends, how sad.
Off to look at your engraved plaques, though.
Hugs, Corinne xx

My name is Erika. said...

Cool shrine Alison. Looks like it was a fun project. Hugs-Erika

Dorthe said...

Hello Alison, what a most amazing review with you and your art,- the shrine is gorgeous.
You know how I love your crackled pieces, and here I see 3- each of then looking fabulous .Love the whole little story , you created.
Hugs, Dorthe

froebelsternchen said...

A wonderful piece! I am glad about this review!

Redanne said...

This is definitely one of my all time favourites of your work Alison and it was SO worth seeing it again! Anne xx

Diana Taylor said...

This is utterly adorable - I just love the beautiful little details. Gorgeous!

Sandy said...

Wonderful Alison - at first I thought that the chandelier was oriental art - I am usually watching but not always commenting. Because of a bad lower back and neck pain - I have to limit my computer time.

Sandy xx

Paper Profusion said...

No wonder its one of your favourites! Superb crackling and perfectly placed and lovely ingredients! Enjoy your weekend. Nicola x

Kate Yetter said...

This is so beautiful, Alison! My favorite part is those chandeliers and the frozen Charlotte. You have put this together perfectly!
Kate

Jackie PNeal said...

I remember this as being one of my absolute favorites Alison!
Jackie xx

pearshapedcrafting said...

This is THE most beautiful brocanterie! Hugs, Chrisx