I'm travelling into a new way of working, a new country, a new language, and a new hobby which I'm passionate about. Come with me for some of the journey...

Monday 27 August 2018

Get Wrapped Bloghop

Hello all!  I'm thrilled to welcome you to a very special bloghop extravaganza today.  I'm delighted to be part of the Get Wrapped Bloghop, featuring products by Seth Apter, PaperArtsyEileen Hull and Emerald Creek.  It's all in the name of fun and cross brand creativity, but there will also be a prize pack valued over $150 USD from PaperArtsy, Seth Apter, Eileen Hull & Emerald Creek. To be entered you must pop by and comment on each of the blog posts before midnight, August 29th.


If you're already hopping, you should have arrived here from the wonderful Karen Bearse, and I'll point you in the right direction for your next hop at the end of the post. If you've landed mid-hop, as it were, you can find the full hopping itinerary at the foot of th
e post too.

It's a real honour to have been invited by Seth to be a part of today's inspiration bloghop, alongside so many amazing artists and crafters... and a joy to play with the products too.  Here's what I came up with using Eileen's Wrapped Journal, Seth's fabulous PaperArtsy Fresco Finish Paints, and some amazing embossing powders from Emerald Creek, including Seth's own Baked Textures.


I'm going to show you a couple of different angles to start off with.  The Wrapped Journal is deliciously chunky, so you get lots of surfaces to play with... front, back and sides...


Some of you will spot that I've used some of my "Engraved Enamel" plaques on my journal.  I shared the full details of how to make these recently over at PaperArtsy, so I won't go through it all in detail again now.






These plaques do make me happy.  I knew from watching Seth in action at Creativation (via youtube, not in person, sadly!) that you could get great results from stamping into his Baked Textures powders...














... but I wasn't sure that I would be able to get a clear enough impression with my intricate quote stamps until I tried... and lo and behold - magic!












Let's go through a few making-of stages for those who'd like them - otherwise just scroll down for some more close-ups!

I started with a matboard die-cut of the Wrapped Journal, and gave it a rough coat of Seth's Midnight - a rich dark blue.






No need to be a perfectionist at this stage - it's all going to get covered up, first of all with a coat of PaperArtsy Crackle Glaze.  These are most of the Seth paint colours I used as I went along...


... with the addition of the white Snowflake - always necessary.  They're from his special edition collections with PaperArtsy - sets 3 and 4.






Once the Crackle Glaze was dry, I applied Snowflake Fresco paint over it, and then sponged on some of the lovely grassy Magic Moss colour.















Coming down from the top, I sponged some Glacier Ice - the palest of icy blues - layering some touches of Double Denim over that for a deeper blue, as well as adding some at the bottom edge too, to tie things together.













I decided I wanted a touch more definition along the bottom edge, so I swiped on some embossing ink and sprinkled on some of the Deep Sea Baked Texture powder.  







Time for some stamping.  Since it was clear by this stage that I was once again heading out into the meadows, I reached for my much-loved PaperArtsy grasses by Lin Brown.


They're stamped in Olive Archival ink, another favourite.  I haven't had much crafting time lately, so when I do find myself at the craft table, I tend to indulge myself with my favourite things!






Next I cut some of the lovely Tim Holtz Wildflower Thinlits out of plain card, and started adding layers of Baked Textures powders to them.  Just look at the glorious sheen when the sunlight catches them.













They're done either with the Vintage Beeswax or the Deep Sea powders.  One of the things I love about these two translucent powders is that, the more layers you add, the deeper the colour tone of the finished result.














So the palest of these stems has only one layer of Vintage Beeswax...













... but the glorious golden one down in the middle on the front has had three layers.

They've all had some white spatter by the end too, which adds to the depth, I think.












For my signatures, I've used some mixed media paper from a Canson 7 x 10 inch pad.  Torn in half and then folded once, the pages are the perfect size for this small Wrapped Journal.










I used fine twine to fasten them into the journal with a simple knot - and I haven't stitched my signatures, so that I can pull the pages out to work on, if I want to, and then re-insert them later.















I love the look of the fine twine on the outer spine...
















... nice and natural against the meadow background.












The interior of the journal cover is done very simply with Seth's paints.  Again, it's a coat of the Midnight to start, then some Glacier Ice brayered over the top, and some Magic Moss applied with an old credit card.














It creates an artsy look without being too in your face, so you're free to concentrate on what you're putting on the pages of the journal.













Finally, the actual wrapping of my Wrapped Journal...  It's some more of the same fine twine, a triple string, which I've glued between the front enamelled plaque and the journal cover.












To keep the twine more fully in place, as well as to strengthen the plaque itself, I glued another piece of card to the rear side of the plaque where it extends out from the cover.














Then you simply wind it all around the journal a couple of times and tuck the knotted end into the wound twine to keep it in place.










I really love the structure of this Wrapped Journal... the chunky look when it's all wrapped up...


... the excitement as you start to unfurl it to see what's inside...


... plenty of journalling space, with four whole signatures...


... and the lovely extended decorating space over the whole cover when it's "unwrapped"...


And I can't get enough of the gleam of the "enamel" in the sunlight on those word plaques...



Thanks so much for stopping by today - or should I say for hopping by?!  Your next stop on the Get Wrapped Bloghop is the lovely Nora Paolini.  Remember you need to comment on each post before midnight, 29th August, to be in with a chance at the fabulous prize package.



Before you go, I'd just like to say thank you again to Seth, to Eileen and to Kim and Katelyn at Emerald Creek.  It's been just lovely to be a part of the hop today, and I hope you're finding oodles of inspiration along the way.

Plant your own gardens and decorate your own soul, rather than waiting for someone to bring you flowers.
Jorge Luis Borges






Full Get Wrapped Bloghop line-up
Eileen Hull
Kim Evans
Debi Adams
Josefine Fourage
Susie Bentz
Linda Cain
Karla Yungwirth
Jenny Marples
Amanda Pink
Livia Yellowbird
Karen Bearse
Alison Bomber - you're already here!
Nora Paolini
Tonya Trantham
Emma Williams
Peg Robinson
Maggi Harding
Stephanie Eaton

135 comments:

Helen said...

what a fabulous chunky journal, I love it. So many trademark Alison features!!

Redanne said...

Alison, your meadow journal is stunning! I just love how you used the string to bind it and to secure it, it gives it such a natural feel. What a fabulous blog hop too and lovely to see you find a little 'me' time to create.. Anne x

sally said...

Wow, that is one seriously chunky "wrapped" journal! Something that I would love to see up close to check out all the gorgeous textures of 💗💗💗

Sally

Sandy Spielberger said...

Wow-that journal is stunning. Especially those engraved enamel plaques.I`ll definitely try making those as well.Thanks for sharing the tutorial !

Cestina said...

Oh this is just lovely. And the Borges quote at the end is perfect xxx

Astrid Maclean said...

Big congrats on being part of this hop! I would have recognised this album as yours anywhere, it's beautiful!!

Amanda said...

Beautiful piece to showcase the brands and a fabulous choice of artist to join in this collaboration
Love
Amanda x

Cathy - CMP Designs said...

Lovely journal! The colour palette is so pretty and loved to see the stamping in the embossing powder!

Sheryl Priest said...

I got a watery feel from your journal. The twine is a great addition in keeping with your theme.

Nancy Wethington said...

Each project that you create just blows me away and this is no exception. Love the use of the Paper Artsy paints and Seth's powders. You managed to create another mini masterpiece with Eileen's dies. Thanks so much for the inspiration.

Pia said...

So great, lovely colors

Scrapintheattic.com said...

Beautiful, a real walk through the meadow. I must try stamping into the embossing powder x

My name is Erika. said...

Gorgeous journal cover Alison.

ellyscard creatief said...

Beautiful journal cover Alison. Love the stamping on the crackle glaze with the white snow flake fresco paint.

Jackie PNeal said...

Alison,my friend! You Never disappoint! (although my wallet wishes you would LOL)
This chunky journal you created turn out just as gorgeous as could be! I really love how you added stems on the front with different layers of embossing powders on them.You really drew attention to these.
Your color choices-amazing(again,my poor wallet!)
And I have to say, your plaques are just out of this world gorgeous and amazing!and...I think you could have a market here- just saying, because i would buy some!
Thank you so much for sharing and so happy you are in this hop as you really have put shine down on all of these products!
hugs,Jackie xx

krcmasterpiece said...

What a tremendous project! Love the binding, the crackle, the colors and techniques. Great job!

Debbie Bonner said...

I love how the stems and leaves stood out even with all the texture behind them. Awesome job!

Patty O'Malley said...

Beautiful journal, Alison! I love your plaques!

Nora said...

The natural look of your journal is so gorgeous!!! Love it so much!!!

juli_loves_paper said...

Your journal looks like a field of wildflowers. I love that you show the different look of the layers of embossing. Xo

Shari Czerwinski said...

Beautiful! Love the colors, and texture. Great job!

Vicki G said...

The s is beautiful!!!

Maggi said...

Great journal, love your cover and quote plaques!

Wendy B. said...

I love how you kept the focal elements simple so the background could still shine through, it is gorgeous!!! xo

Edwige V. said...

Beautiful journal ! Love it !

Jenn White said...

Great Art Alison! That crackle makes my heart sing! *☆♡☆* Your journal takes me away to a blissful, peaceful, garden. Writing thoughts, feelings & ideas in the silence of Nature's garden.♡

Michelle Golz said...

Oh my my my! this is fantastic and wonderful use of the powders!! Love it you have moved into first place aka favorite so far!!

Susie Bentz: My Time to Play said...

What a stunning project! I loved your engraved enamel plaques and will definitely give them a try with Seth's powders. Love the crackle texture. So many lovely details - thanks for the inspiration!

Melina Dahl Minas kreativa said...

This is so beautiful! Stunning! Love it so much <3

PiHi said...

Beautiful work! Love how you have used dies and embossing powders. Thank you for sharing!

Thelma said...

Lovely and fresh. I love the wild flower die cuts.

Unknown said...

I love your nature-themed journal a lot, esp the colourconbinations :)

Happy Me said...

Elegant I love everything about this journal

Linda S said...

Love this journal! I am going to have to go back and look at your other post and subscribe. Thanks

TGonzales said...

Thank you for showing up close and personal the stamping technique. I love the powders and this just makes them all the more useful to create beautiful things. Love your journal.

Unknown said...

this is just gorgeous, that crackle ~ it looked so good I would have had a hard time covering it, but it looks wonderful and I love the edging, also those plaques, oh yes that is going to be bookmarked, thanks for sharing Alison!

Mary Holshouser said...

Love the soft pastel colors.
The book looks so delicate
with the flowers and greenery.
Beautiful project.
thanks for sharing
txmlhl(at)yahoo(dot)com

Noreen said...

I love the fantastic word plaques! And the wonderful look of nature with the flowers and greenery.

Noreen
Crafty Journal

Debbie said...

a very feminine take - pretty

Linda M. Cain said...

This is just sooookk gorgeous. It is a breath of fresh air and beauty. ❤️❤️❤️

jenndub71 said...

This is sooo pretty! I just love the textures and colors used here! Thanks for sharing!!

A Pink said...

Oh Alison , this is so so Beautiful and so true to your creative style which enhances its beauty even more. You're Engraved Enamel plaques truly shine. This is a journal I could look at all day long and feel a wonderful sense of calm .
So happy you are a contributing artist .
x

Paper Profusion said...

Simply stunning Alison! Thank-you so much for the wonderful step by step. A most beautiful project Alison. Nicola x

Ellie Knol said...

I knew instantly this is a project of yours when scrolling down! It's an Allison once more.. a beauty! Beautiful product, typical Alison colors and gorgeous project!

Kristy Tyra said...

Love the look of the quotes stamped into the Baked Texture embossing powders!

suzyb said...

I just LOVE your creations. I love the colours of this one, the textures and of course the sentiment and how you make it. :)

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

Painty goodness on this cover! LOVE the rustic look especially with the flowers!

backintheday said...

Love your botanical elements against the crackled background!

Julia Aston said...

I'm not surprised to see you created a beautiful garden on your wrapped journal Alison! Love the colors and the wonderful sentiment pieces so thickly embossed! Julia xx

Lisa Rene Aguilera said...

I am a huge fan of the distressed/weathered look. I have never seen that enameled plate element used. Thanks so much for sharing!

Unknown said...

I have most of these products and I'm going to try this on the flowers.

Rea' said...

I so love your choice of colors for your beautifully crackled background; the grass stamp is awesome too !!

Dana M said...

Oh, I absolutely love your journal! Stunning color palette, amazing depth and texture and beautiful design.

ionabunny said...

Wonderful. Love those plaques. Need to practice that more. It's stunning Alison. Hugz

Jenny Marples said...

Just KNEW I was going to love your journal and you never disappoint. The crackle background is the perfect backdrop to the embossed wildflowers and your plaques provide the ideal focal points. Magnificent indeed xx

PaulaK said...

Love how pretty and del ate this is, love the texture and those enamel tags are gorgeous - will have to give that a go. :)

Nancy said...

I love the distressed looking cover to the journal and the sentiment plaques are magnificent! Well done!

suzieq23 said...

love, love, love
The colors and techniques are so creative.
Thank you for the step by step

Christina said...

I absolutely love your journal Alison! The crackle paste gives a lot of yummy texture with the paints. Thanks for sharing your creativity. xx

My name is Cindy said...

This is so pretty, I love it!! The 'stamped in' sentiments worked a treat - something else to try! TFS.

Tammy said...

This is gorgeous! I would love to do a gardening journal using your project!

Carol w said...

Beautiful, love your stamped quotes and embossed floowers!

Kimberly said...

I’m trying the stamped plaques! Thank you. Beautiful job 😍

Kimberly said...

I’m trying the stamped plaques! Thank you. Beautiful job 😍

Seth said...

This is stunning. The surface you created is gorgeous, those stamped plaques are genius and the embossed die cuts add the perfect touch. Thanks so much for joining me on this blog hop.

Robn said...

Absolutely gorgeous!

Debi Adams said...

So much goodness in this post! I would have never thought of the stamping technique. Looks like I will be trying something new to me! Thanks for sharing.

Nina Fickett said...

I love how you created this project, absolutely Beautiful! I’m officially creatively inspired.

Art Joy of Sharing with Peg and Shel said...

Beautiful!

TangledBlueRose said...

I love the colors and beautiful flowers and texture you created. Such a lovely book sure to hold many treasures inside! Thanks for sharing your awesome talent! Kim

Unknown said...


Let be how the cover tells a story

Sheri W said...

Color, texture and embossed quotes. Love it. Thank you.

Unknown said...

Calm,cool colors how beautif.Great idea see I would never had thought to use them in this way. Thank You

toni said...

Wow Alison ! This is beautiful! Wonderful colours and texture. I love the stamping into the embossing powder, it's so clear, definitely will be trying that, I also love the way you have created your closure, very clever . Xx

Debbi B said...

I love your meadow themed journal! The colours are so pretty and the twine really suits it.

Unknown said...

Love the colours of the meadow journal!

ann barnes said...

Alison, this is so much more than just a journal, it is a beautiful piece of art. Such a wonderful representation of the beauty of the products in their simplest forms. The baked textures on those wild flowers are stunning, such clear beautiful color and the meadow in the background is perfect for their placement. I have loved your word plaques since I first saw them, the ones you have used on this have such appropriate sayings. An absolutely wonderful wrapped journal design. Thank you for sharing your creativity!

Deb Fortin said...

this is a lovely journal. I really like the addition of the die-cut flowers to the cover. and the twine adds a lovely natural texture to the whole book. I like the way you wrapped the twine and then tucked it into itself no need for a button to get in the way when writing in your book.

Stacey Kowbel said...

Fabulous journal! I love the wildflowers!

Laurie said...

What is there not to love about this journal! But, especially the plaques! I am going to try that.

Karen said...

wow nice project, lovely details and color palette! I especially like how you made the background of the cover- so pretty

silvia said...

Sweet journal! LOVE the flowers and the sentiments!

stampinsam said...

I love your colour palette and use of texture techniques. Aren’t the colours of Seth Apter’s paints lovely...I will be looking for those at my LSS for sure!

Joy Meadows said...

Love this journal. Your plaques are so unique! this hop is fabulous.

Lisa Andersson said...

This is so beautiful. Wonderful colors and texture. Love the stamped sentiment into baked texture powder, such a great effect.

Priscilla said...

Fantastic journal. Love all the floral elements, colors, texture and quotes.
Simply stunning!

Donna said...

Beautiful deep sea design. I love the idea of not securing the signatures so the papers could be removed and worked on separately.

Carol Plume said...

Beautiful journal - love each and every element.

GillianIvy said...

Reminds me of rock candy. Love all the crackle effect and embossing powders build up a nice candylike dimension.

Meggymay said...

A fabulous project, its a super journal cover.
Yvonne x

Unknown said...

Love your stamped enamel quotes, and embossing powders on the die cuts. Great ideas. Stunning journal. Thanks for sharing your tips.

Carlotta Holman said...

I don't usually think of Seth's colors as soft or "feminine"; obviously I need to reconsider. Also, didn't realize the embossing powders build color with multiple layers. TFS

pearshapedcrafting said...

Wow Alison! I have gone out of order as I was impatient to see what you made! This is delightful and so beautifully textured! I really must get my hands on some of those baked textures - every time I try they seem to have sold out!! Hugs, Chrisx

simo said...

Beautiful journal Alison, love the colours and details...and the contrast between the cover and the inside! Thanks for the inspiration ...hugs ❤

flyingdutchbird said...

The crackle on this album looks amazing! I also love the moss colour, you really made it look mossy and the embossing just finishes it off, lovely. This blog hop is fab, loving every stop, thank you for sharing :)

Deb C said...

So spring like with tons of texture, very nice!

Melissa Hines said...

oh my my my my my!!!!! i have to book mark this as there are so many products and tips i want to remember over and over... Engraved Enamel.. yes please. the twine! so glad i am not the only one... the whole project is simply fabulous! excellent job!

Roxanne said...

Oh I love the nature look on this! Flowers are so 3-d and the colors are great. The twine wrap on this is a natural pretty touch! TFS!

2amscrapper said...

I'm in love with the look of this journal cover. I have to get that beeswax embossing powder! And the stamping indeed was amazingly clear!

grandmajeanb said...

I love your fabulous backgrounds and your delicate foliage. The colors are so calming and it would be the perfect journal to put pressed flowers in. Well done.

Karen said...

There’s such an earthy, yet light contrast to your journal. Ralph Waldo Emerson would be happy you used a quote. Loved seeing how your stamp into soft wax turned out. And I’ve seen several people use Seth’s Midnight paint, so that is on my list of one to get. I picture you sketching in your journal, filling each of your pages with a natural scene in a peaceful setting. Love it

Kim Collister Studio said...

I am totally in love with these wrapped journals! Your engraved plaques are wonderful and I’m dying for the beeswax embossing powder! The foliage, the colors, the natural feel of your journal...so much to love here! Wonderful!!!

Unknown said...

Oh, a garden themed journal. So beautiful! I appreciate seeing how to include crackle paint. Just stunning.

Sue D said...

This is beautiful. I like the garden theme and the quotes.

HMax said...

Really fabulous journal! I am in love with those enameled pieces on the front, especially the word plaques! I'm totally stealing that idea! Excellent work.
~Heather

Livia Yellowbird said...

Awesome work, love the details, isn't this fun!! 👉❤😁

Diana Taylor said...

Wow, this is stunning - I love your colours and your very distinctive style. The word plaque is gorgeous and I'm off to use my Baked Textures powders that I haven't touched since I bought them a few weeks ago!
Diana x

debbie said...

liked how you used plain card, and started adding layers of Baked Textures powders to them.

Wendy Lambert said...

This is so pretty! I love the colors! And the crackle effect is just so cool.

Jean said...

This is just the prettiest!! Absolutely lovely!!

Anne said...

Fantastic journal cover what a fabulous idea the enameling is must get some texture powder! Thanks for the tutorial

Sue said...

This is really lovely Alison, you've used some colours here that I've not seen before. Congratulations on being part of the blog hop and have a very happy week, Sue xx

Deborah Emmons said...

Great stamping technique, thanks for sharing. I want to tiptoe through the meadow and smell the flowers!

mary castles said...

Love the tutoril.🦋

Jan Hobbins said...

Gorgeous journal! I love your engraved enamel plaques and the crackle texture. So many beautiful details!

Kate Yetter said...

A beautiful chunky journal, Alison! I love all that texture that you have added using those baked textures. Very effect and dimensional. A wonderful scene on your front cover.
Kate

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

Gorgeous Alison love the meadow flowers and I adore the word plaques. Tracy ❤️❤️

CathyP said...

BEAUTIFUL! I love the quotes!!!! They're so clear!
Really nice job on everything - especially the flowers!

Carol said...

Awesome love the theme you have chosen LOVELY xxx

Kay dancingbrushpainting.blogspot.com said...

Love the plaques! On my way now to that tutorial. Thanks for sharing your talents!!

Unknown said...

Ohhhh! Now this project is right up my alley! I feel very inspired and will try this one first. Thank you so much and will now be checking your blog often. Do you ever do videos??

Laura Tree said...

I’m your newest fan, Alison. BEAUTIFUL. I do so appreciate the tutorial and the link to another. Thanks so much for the inspiration!

Monika/Buzsy said...

Oh, I love the crackled cover on this wrap journal! Great weathered look Alison.

Unknown said...

This is just so fabulous. Truly love it...the crackle and the flowers..gotta get me some of that baked texture powder...love that look. This is really a wonderful book...I am so glad you shared!!

Sharon Y said...

The floral theme is so fresh and delicious. Amazing job with the word plaques.

Angela said...

Love your cover with the crackle distressed look and flower silhouette dies! Just beautiful!

Hope said...

Loved the greens and blues and the crackle. The flowers and the style were dainty yet strong in style. Very lovely journal.

Karla Yungwirth said...

This is so beautifully done!! I love the colours, that amazing crackle and the lovely flowers!

Craftyfield said...

I missed the hop as I was away but I see this is an excellent combination of products! Your cover is looking so beautiful...

Arianna Barbara said...

Oh my! Such a wonderful project!!! I'm totally in love for all the details and the beautiful colors!!! Great tutorial!!!

Words and Pictures said...

Thanks to everyone for your lovely comments - and good luck in the prize draw.

In answer to Melissa - videos haven't featured much so far in my crafting journey, but they are on the horizon, so keep an eye out!
Alison x

Cocofolies said...

Sadly, it's too late now I see for hopping...
However, not too late happily to tell you how beautiful is your journal Alison.
Wow!! I love the effect of the beeswax on the flowers, as well as your exquisite plaques. Fabulous!!!
Coco xx

sarascloset said...

Dang, too bad I missed the blog hop! I'm so behind, I'm catching up with myself! But I just had to have a peek, and I am really happy I did! What an amazing journal! I really need this die! I hope you have a wonderful weekend, Alison.

froebelsternchen said...

This meadow journal is stunning!
Absolutely wonderful made in your unique beautiful style - simply GORGEOUS Alison!

oxo
Susi

rachel said...

beautiful journal Alison - love those stamped grasses - so very pretty! Big Huggles rachel xx