I'm travelling into a new way of working, a new country, a new language, and a new hobby which I'm passionate about. Come with me for some of the journey...

Tuesday 29 March 2016

Encore - Nautical Salvage Plaque

Encore Posts
While I'm away, there are some scheduled posts with new creations coming your way, but I'm also taking the chance to do some catching up here at Words and Pictures.   Projects which made their first appearances elsewhere for Design Team duties or Guest Designer opportunities, but which only had a sneak peek here, are being gathered together in the pages of my virtual scrapbook.  I'm calling them "Encore" posts and they're formatted differently (all the way down the centre), so you can spot them easily.
Please don't feel that you have to comment all over again!

I hope you caught my new White Fire journalling pages in between all these Encore posts... If you missed them, you might want to visit the Golden Stained Glass over at Country View Craft Projects.

In case you're confused (and I wouldn't blame you), I'm now on the next leg of my travels - New York, New York, so good they named it twice... and I feel so grateful to get to go and work there twice!  I should have a bit more time to spare than the last time around, so I'm looking forward to that and to some sightseeing in Craftyblogland too.  

But we don't Press for another few days yet so, while I'm still busy with the shows, I'll just share this layered Nautical Plaque, which was created with the Calico Craft Parts.  Here's what I wrote back in June of 2015.
_____________________________

I used some of the Birchwood Plaques to create this - an Oval and a Rectangle.  There are various sizes and you can specify whether you would like holes pre-drilled or not.



My oval has holes so it's ready for hanging, but my rectangle is hole-less, making it a great substrate for layering.


Let's start with that rectangle... I gave it a coat of DecoArt crackle paint and then stamped and painted it.  I didn't plan it that way, but I noticed it was starting to look like an antiquarian map - something I love to pore over - so I decided to let it happen, and added more ocean tinting around the "land".


So then I changed direction with the rest of my plans.  I had thought I would go for quite an industrial grey-blue look with all the Mini Cogs and Gears, but with the old map looking so splendidly weathered I decided to go for a rusty look instead.


I applied texture sand paste roughly to the cogs, leaving some blank areas, and then layered paints and sprays until I liked the look of them.


I added some metal pointers to some of them, as well as a couple of extra altered metal pieces.


As I tried to position the cogs on the plaque, I found they were covering too much of the map for my liking, so I decided to expand the whole project by a layer.


That's when I took the oval plaque and applied layers of paint and crackle to get a look of ocean waves and weathering around the edges.


Now I had some extra space to arrange my cogs, and it also created a great dimensional look.


I attached an altered WordBand with some of my trusty rusty wire, and there's also some rusty wire to hang it up by.


____________________________________

So there you have it.  Once the press performances are out of the way, I'm hoping to be able to meet up with Marjie Kemper as well as some of my other friends in New York, but there'll be time to catch up with all of you too, all being well.  Thanks so much for dropping in today, and I hope to see you soon.

The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible, but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore.
Vincent Van Gogh

21 comments:

chrissie said...

Great textures Alison and always good to see your makes.

Have fun in New York

Love Chrissie xx

Brenda Brown said...

A fabulous piece to encore, love all the effects on it.
Hope you're getting some time to get out and about, you seemed very busy over Easter.
Have a great week.
Hugs Brenda xxx

brenda said...

Great textures and colour Alison and never tire of seeing your creations, new or old.

B x

Lauren Hatwell said...

I confess this is one of my all time favourite makes of yours Alison. I just love everything about it. A triumph! Applause! Applause! Applause! Lx

Astrid Maclean said...

The blue tones and rusty effects are so striking on this one Alison, good to revisit it again!

Enjoy New York, hope you get some time to enjoy some culture away from the theatre and some Spring sunshine!

Redanne said...

Nautical, rust, blue, cogs - a perfect combination in my opinion. This is definitely worth an encore Alison, it is really beautiful. Anne xx

Corrie Herriman said...

So beautiful Alison ! Enjoy your time in the big apple !
Corrie x

Unknown said...

I definitely missed this one Alison and it's much to INCREDIBLE to have missed so I'm very very glad you a sharing it now. Wow - stunning. Love everything about it and so glad you didn't follow your original plan too!!! Xj.

Chrissy said...

I love Nautical and love rust..so this project to me is Awesome..

Luv CHRISSYxx

maj. said...

Gorgeous work Alison! Great texture!

sam21ski said...

Stunning xx

Dorthe said...

You are a master in so many things, and the way you rust is one of them...it looks so amazingly real, -the texture with the sand paste, is great, and your color looking so real. Such a stunning piece ,ofcourse I love your crackle, too !!
Have a wonderful time, also in New York Alison.
Dorthe, xox

Meggymay said...

Super project Alison. I hope you get time to enjoy a bit of sightseeing while you are there.
Yvonne xx

Pamellia said...

Fabulous project Alison! Great colours and amazing textures! Love your faux rust effect! Brilliant. hugs :)

Terry said...

Oh what a fantastic project, Alison! I love the textures and rustic feeling of the faux rust! I hope you are having a wonderful Spring! Sorry for lacks of visits and hopefully really soon, I can get back to regular blogging! Hugs!

pearshapedcrafting said...

Did I miss this one or is is just the old memory not working? I love this - such fabulous colour and texture! Glad to see that you may soon have some time to yourself ! Hugs, Chrisx

A Pink said...

Fabulous! Alison Love the blue with the rusty look . Great dimension, texture and detail .
Enjoy the 'Big Apple'
hugs x

sarascloset said...

Your faux rust is just drool worthy, and that rectangle looks like it has chipped away with age. Truly one of my favorites of yours; I'm so happy you encored it! Hugs!

Tincan Crafter said...

Ooooooohhhhhh how I love this. SO rusty and vintage and sea-faring adventure like. You have that rust effect down like a boss! Love the effect of this whole plaque - I would totally want to put that in my bathroom just above my bath so that I could daydream in the bath about all the magical places I would sail to. Hugs - Candice -

Princess Judy Palmer said...

All those lovely rusty bits! Very nice.

Sandy said...

I really, really like this!!
sandy xx