I'm travelling into a new way of working, a new country, a new language, and a new hobby which I'm passionate about. Come with me for some of the journey...

Tuesday 1 April 2014

Inspiring Memories





Hello all... 

Double trouble again here at Words and Pictures as it's the first of the month, and we've two new challenge themes to play with.  

Later this morning, Our Creative Corner gets back up and running with the April challenge, and I'm your host, so more of that shortly (you can now find my post here).

But first, it's time to reveal that the theme for The Artistic Stamper challenge this month is Embossing and Texture.  

It's not really my month to do AS inspiration but, I'm sorry, with a theme like that - it's rare for me not to use embossing and/or texture - I had to jump in!

And here's the result.















It's a tag full of inky colour, but with lots of glossy light-capturing embossing too.  

And for once I've used a clear texture paste, so that's doing a similar job.

It's one of my favourite things about clear embossing that it gives you that "now you see it, now you don't" look, according to the position you hold it in.









So the fabulous phrenology head from the new Stampers Anonymous Classics #11 set (oh, how long I've been wanting a phrenology head!) is stamped in Potting Soil Archival and then clear embossed.  

Now you see it, now you don't.





And the words from the Artistic Stamper Journalling Words II set have had the same treatment.  

Now you see them, now you don't.












And I'm so enjoying the effect of the translucent embossing paste.

You get the raised dimensional advantage of a texture paste, but the glossy light-catching of a clear emboss.  Doubly delicious!










Of course the clear paste has taken on the colour of all the inky loveliness already in place when I added it.

I blended on some darker inks, Gathered Twigs and Walnut Stain to really accentuate the look.










And there's some Calligraphic Mat #4 stamping around it too.

The paste acts as a resist, so you can wipe away the ink after stamping, even though I did it with Archival (as long as you're quick).











There are more layers of script stamping, this time in Cornflower Blue rather than Coffee Archival.

And as well as the texture paste through the Crafter's Workshop stencil, there are also some inky rings using the Artistic Stamper Splats and Swirls Mask.











I also did some inking through the new Latticework Layering Stencil from Tim Holtz.  It seems to have become my go-to mask!













The tag is layered onto some corrugated cardboard (big surprise, eh?!), and in case there wasn't quite enough embossing, I've added Distress Embossing Powder in Broken China and Peeled Paint around the edges.








I added some clear embossing powder for extra glossiness and depth in places.













I've added my usual Distress Stain-dyed seam binding and paper string at the top.












Finally, some good old metalwork... the cogs and gears of the brain lurching into action to summon up remembrance of lost times.  Yup we're channelling Proust today, too - À la recherche du temps perdu!












Hop over to The Artistic Stamper Creative Team Blog for all the challenge rules and details, as well as more inspiration from my lovely team-mates.

And I'll be back in the morning to launch the new challenge over at Our Creative Corner.  Hope you'll find time to play along with both this month.

Memory is the diary we all carry around with us.
Oscar Wilde






And, yup, it's a triple whammy today.  Since it's Tuesday, as well as the first of the month, I'm also over at Artistic Outpost today with another chance to catch my wooden flower market heart... only if you missed it last time!

Don't forget to pop back later this morning to find out what I'm challenging you with at Our Creative Corner this month!


35 comments:

massofhair said...

Can see why you couldn't resist lol. Beautiful layering and subtle shading bring your deliciousTag to life. A fabulous piece of artistic inspiration:-) xxx

pearshapedcrafting said...

Yes it's definitely one for you! Love that clear embossing and the fab background! Chrisx

Nan G said...

Who could resist this wondrous tag! My fave colors and love the clear embossing. A knock out, butterfly! Thank you for the b-day ecard! Hugs

scrappymo! said...

Love the embossing, the inky colours and the great embellishments. Gorgeous tag, as always!

Marci said...

Great stamping and embossing! Love the color.

Helen said...

I love your tag, the clear embossing paste looks gorgeous and is going on the must buy list!

Amanda said...

Great tag Alison! The clear embossing looks great along side the clear embossing paste. Glad you got hold of this set of Tim's stamps, I bought mine because of that head!
Love
Amanda x

Astrid Maclean said...

Wonderful tag all round Alison, this certainly is a departure from the original plan, have to say LOVE this version, fabulous colours and the stenciling and layers of stamping add so much depth, love it!!

Unknown said...

I love the colours of this one Alison and the use of the clear paste - great idea. To me, there is an element of the dramatic which is fab! Chris xxx PS Blogger commenting is playing up this morning so if you get 2 comments I apologise. xxx

Shirley said...

Bravo sweets two stunning makes with your usual precious style.

Warm crafty hugs from Shirl x x

rachel said...

wonderful colours and images Alison - great texture too xx

Lucy Edmondson said...

Beautiful: what a wonderful effect you have achieved, Alison,

Lucy x

Unknown said...

it is a really stunning tag.I pop on my eyes on pinterest. Congratulations you did a really wonderful job ;-)

Mary Elizabeth said...

One of my favorite tags Alison! Of course you couldn't pass up on embossing and texture at The Artistic Stamper:) And what embossing. Love the clear texture paste and the way the images almost disappear in the light. Love how your greens, blues and browns just enhance the "mood" of this piece. Gorgeous my dear Alison!!

Thanks for dropping by and seeing my tags. I can't imagine why they might have caught your eye -- lol (how can anyone go wrong with butterflies and words, right?). -- ME

Meggymay said...

Awesome tag, can see how this theme appeals to you. Great details and techniques.
Yvonne

Inkypinkycraft said...

gorgeous tag and dont know how i missed it, boy am i behind! gorgeous greeny hues . x hugs x trace x

Paper Profusion said...

You've outdone yourself again Alison with this tag! Photos show the inkylicious antics and delights of this tag to perfection. It REALLY is beautiful! Stunning range of techniques and I'm now finally convinced that I need clear texture paste! Off to look up dictionary for phrenology!! Nicola x

Terry said...

I wish my stamp set would get into Linda's! Oh how this is making me drool and I suppose that is quite ladylike in the grungy world! Love this tag! Been over to AO and your heart is a hanging beauty as well! Hugs!

sally said...

Love this AND the more recent post too! Unfortunately half the pictures are missing :-( via both your own website & bloglovin .... Maybe because it's an iPad rather than computer but I've had the same problem with quite a few blogs - I'll try to check it out again on the computer when I get back to Scotland next week.

Sally

Jools Robertson said...

This is so inspiring, love the colours and fab corrugated cardboard the distress embossing just brings it to life
The clear texture paste is amazing, love the almost not there effect. Brilliant, need to get some and the stamps are on my list big time

Jools x

Andrea Ockey Parr said...

Wow! The details on this tag are exquisite! I drool over that ethereal color palette and I absolutely adore what you did with the clear embossing powder. So inspiring, as always!

Kate Yetter said...

This is a stunning tag. I love how the background shows through the stamping. I love the images you used!!
Kate

Cocofolies said...

Really gorgeous this one also. In a different style, more in your usual colours.. But so, so beautiful.. mmm. Hugs, Coco xxx

Silvia(Barnie) said...

How cool, a fantastic tag in great colors.

Jenny Marples said...

Loving the way the embossing and stencilling with paste give a whole extra dimension to this tag Alison. Beautiful. Jenny x

Sue said...

A beautiful piece Alison, and I can see how you couldn't resist as this is such a 'you' challenge. The clear embossing paste is turning into a favourite of mine xx

Unknown said...

Not sure how I missed this one but glad I popped back over. I love the embossing on this tag Alison, it looks amazing. Hugs

Kasia said...

Oh, this face ... love! Beautiful background! Stunning details!

Princess Judy Palmer said...

Love this tag. I immediately thought of gears turning and churning to drudge up some inspired memories. I love the phrenology head! What a great head for this tag. I do like your "now you see, now you don't" of the clear embossing. Very nice!

Tracy said...

Inspiring memories....you inspire Art Alison...beautiful! Xxx

hazel said...

I love everything about your tag - it's gorgeous.
xxx Hazel.

sam21ski said...

Oh wow, this is stunning and I love the colours. I NEED that classics#11, it's on my wish list - hehehe!!

Ana K. said...

So many wonderful creations here...I am just sorry I don’t have time to follow you regularly and to leave comment on every post I like! Hugs

Marjie Kemper said...

This is one scrumptious tag, Alison. So much lovely layering in the background!

Kezzy said...

Wow wow wow absolutely awesome tag with lots of amazing texture and embossing. I really love the clear paste and the clear embossing, it really does make a difference to the way you see areas. Totally gorgeous. Kezzy:-) xxx